Start by marking “The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground” as Want to Read:
The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground

The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  22 reviews

The Bible has the astounding power to transform lives. The stories of people like Francis of Assisi, Antony of Egypt, Augustine of Hippo, Martin Luther and Martin Luther King Jr. vividly demonstrate this. Why aren't more of us transformed by Scripture today?

Too often we study biblical texts without believing that God truly inhabits this book. Scripture seeks to capture o

Published December 14th 2011 by IVP Books (first published November 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fire of the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire of the Word

A nice little gem of a book. Drawing from traditions and practices of great spiritual figures (St. Francis, St. Benedict,Ignatius of Loyola)and personal experiences in addition to Old and New Testament Scripture, the author suggests ways to break down mental, emotional, and even physical barriers to immersing yourself in the many layers of Biblical meaning. Each chapter ends with Scripture verses to read in the purposeful way he describes. The information was accessible and enlightening. I espec ...more
Chris Webb’s The Fire of the Word is a book which does well compelling you to read scripture. The book has many practical suggestions with which to read scripture in a fresh way. Most chapters include seven days of suggested reading to work through in coalescence with the book. Webb is a very vividly descriptive writer who pulls you into his story with ease. I say story because much of the book is rooted in Webb’s experiences and challenges which he has sought to over come. Many of his proposals ...more
D.j. Lang
The author's style of writing caught my attention from the very beginning and I was never disappointed throughout the entire book. Both writing and content are excellent. I highly recommend this book.
Marjorie Gray
Holy Scriptures, like a candle or campfire, is best appreciated when two or more are gathered. I read Chris Webb's Renovare book on my own, having failed to find or take the initiative to start a local Renovare spiritual formation group. I confess I did not read, much less meditate on the passages listed at chapter endings. But Richard Foster's foreword and Webb's personal and historical stories illuminated by the light of the world enflamed my passion for the Living Word written and embodied.
Chris Webb's book challenges some of the language I often use and the thought behind it of being a "student of the Word." Webb contends that we often treat the scriptures as simply a text to analyze, understand, and apply rather that the God-breathed communication of the living God who wants to meet us through the words of this book.

Not only does Webb remind us that the purpose of scripture is not that we know the Bible but that we know and love the Lord. He also leads us through a series of exe
Joyce Morrice
This is a powerful book. Read it slowly and do the exercises. God has a lot of surprising insights for you. I recommend it highly.
Wow! I really enjoyed this book! I could relate to practically everything he wrote about, and I think that this book has helped me look at the Bible in a new light. The Bible is not about helping us being philosophical thinkers; it's about showing us the true nature of God. This book kept my attention and pointed out real problems that a lot of Christians have when it comes to reading the Bible. I was really impressed by the author's writing and how well it related to my life. I also love how he ...more
Sam Gallucci
Do not hesitate to read this book; I did and I regret this. I read through it all the way. I'll be reading it again. Chris Webb's inspired ideas and love for the Word is clear. You will not be untouched by his passionate call to experience the Word. He implores us to go beyond extracting Truth from the Bible like the analysis of a textbook. Webb brings in many of the teachings of monasticism and early Christian thought to make reading the Bible into a conversation with God that consumes us and o ...more
Read this with my Bible study group. There were several points of new interest and a fresh way to look at Scripture that enlightened and challenged me. Overall, however, the book was confusing and scattered. A number of chapters started out with stories or anecdotes that had no relevance to the topic that ensued. I don’t think I’d recommend it but there were a few key, wonderful points that I pulled out that have had a positive impact in my life.
Luke Brown
Interesting look at contemplative prayer and reading of the Bible. An encouragement to change the way I often approach reading the Bible. "Contemplative reading of the Bible is the art of dwelling in the presence of our limitless God within the rich, complex, immense and beautiful universe of Scripture. ...Contemplative prayer is the soul similarly at rest in our Father's arms, listening to his heartbeat, rejoicing in his loving presence."
Brandon Cerny
**This book was given to me for free through Goodreads First Reads**

I am always interested in Religious Studies, always looking for something new. Something that make might sense to an agnostic.

Unfortunately, this book was a waste of my time. There is nothing new or particularly insightful about this forage into Bible based faith.

I am sure it will be popular in Christian Libraries and Church gift shops.
Jan 23, 2012 Nawnee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mom, Grandma
Recommended to Nawnee by: Goodreads Contest
Shelves: freebie-books
I won this book from Goodreads.
I actually really liked the way this book was written, even though I'm not all that interested in being able to read or understand the bible any better I can see how this book would be helpful to people that want to get more out of their reading. This is a book I would buy as a gift for my Mom or Grandmother, I think either of them would have appreciated it more than I did.
Feb 06, 2013 Debbie marked it as to-come-back-to
My copy just arrived from the GoodReads First Reads giveaway. I can't wait to get into this book. I'm hoping that it will enhance my reading of the Bible and bring a deeper understanding of the Word!

Then I read in my church newsletter that there will be a new book study starting soon... using this book! Can't wait!
Wendy C
This came to me at a dry time w/Bible reading. The author causes you to really think and I found myself actually being more hungry and engaged with the Word as I looked references up and thought it through. If you don't have it, you should.
Mark Andrews
An absolutely great book for discovering the more contemplative, meditative, and prayerful ways of reading scripture. Would be a great book for small groups to read with daily reading for each day for 16 weeks. Spiritually enriching.
It was ok. I never cought the 'fire'. There were a few good chapters where he brought a new perspective on scripture, but most of it was just okay-like reading a textbook because it was assigned, not because there is any pleasure in it.
Charles Bame
It's been called the first mystery novel and I guess it is. It was so convoluted with so many characters that I found it a bit hard to follow some of the time, but I enjoyed it.
This was worth the 3 months I spent working through the chapters and daily Scriptures. Excellent content and personal experience.
Excellent book! I need to reread slower, doing the suggested exercises.
Tisha G
Had to read this for a class. I'm glad. The book is outstanding.
This is primarily a tool for guided study.
Lacey Jordan
Jun 05, 2012 Lacey Jordan marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
Won this book and will be reading it soon.
Zach is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2015
Brian Mackey
Brian Mackey is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015
Rachel Aytes
Rachel Aytes marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
InterVarsity Pres...: Book Review: The Fire of the Word 1 16 Feb 03, 2012 06:12AM

“When Moses heard the voice of God, he shook with terror and hid his face in the folds of his robe. Why? Because he was about to receive a couple of chapters of the book of Exodus? No! He was awestruck because the voice he heard made real and immediate the presence of the Holy One of Israel. In the words, Moses met God. And so can we.” 0 likes