Start by marking “The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground” as Want to Read:
The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground

The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground

The Bible has the astounding power to transform lives. The stories of people like Francis of Assisi, Antony of Egypt, Augustine of Hippo, Martin Luther and Martin Luther King Jr. vividly demonstrate this. Why aren't more of us transformed by Scripture today?

Too often we study biblical texts without believing that God truly inhabits this book. Scripture seeks to capture o

Published December 14th 2011 by IVP Books (first published November 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fire of the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire of the Word

Trevor
Feb 08, 2015 Trevor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Webb’s The Fire of the Word is a book which does well compelling you to read scripture. The book has many practical suggestions with which to read scripture in a fresh way. Most chapters include seven days of suggested reading to work through in coalescence with the book. Webb is a very vividly descriptive writer who pulls you into his story with ease. I say story because much of the book is rooted in Webb’s experiences and challenges which he has sought to over come. Many of his proposals ...more
Nancy
Dec 31, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
A nice little gem of a book. Drawing from traditions and practices of great spiritual figures (St. Francis, St. Benedict,Ignatius of Loyola)and personal experiences in addition to Old and New Testament Scripture, the author suggests ways to break down mental, emotional, and even physical barriers to immersing yourself in the many layers of Biblical meaning. Each chapter ends with Scripture verses to read in the purposeful way he describes. The information was accessible and enlightening. I espec ...more
Bob
Jun 04, 2012 Bob rated it really liked it
Chris Webb's book challenges some of the language I often use and the thought behind it of being a "student of the Word." Webb contends that we often treat the scriptures as simply a text to analyze, understand, and apply rather that the God-breathed communication of the living God who wants to meet us through the words of this book.

Not only does Webb remind us that the purpose of scripture is not that we know the Bible but that we know and love the Lord. He also leads us through a series of exe
Luke
Feb 07, 2012 Luke rated it really liked it
Interesting look at contemplative prayer and reading of the Bible. An encouragement to change the way I often approach reading the Bible. "Contemplative reading of the Bible is the art of dwelling in the presence of our limitless God within the rich, complex, immense and beautiful universe of Scripture. ...Contemplative prayer is the soul similarly at rest in our Father's arms, listening to his heartbeat, rejoicing in his loving presence."
D.j. Lang
Mar 09, 2013 D.j. Lang rated it it was amazing
The author's style of writing caught my attention from the very beginning and I was never disappointed throughout the entire book. Both writing and content are excellent. I highly recommend this book.
Kelsey
May 29, 2012 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really enjoyed this book! I could relate to practically everything he wrote about, and I think that this book has helped me look at the Bible in a new light. The Bible is not about helping us being philosophical thinkers; it's about showing us the true nature of God. This book kept my attention and pointed out real problems that a lot of Christians have when it comes to reading the Bible. I was really impressed by the author's writing and how well it related to my life. I also love how he ...more
Sam Gallucci
Mar 15, 2012 Sam Gallucci rated it it was amazing
Do not hesitate to read this book; I did and I regret this. I read through it all the way. I'll be reading it again. Chris Webb's inspired ideas and love for the Word is clear. You will not be untouched by his passionate call to experience the Word. He implores us to go beyond extracting Truth from the Bible like the analysis of a textbook. Webb brings in many of the teachings of monasticism and early Christian thought to make reading the Bible into a conversation with God that consumes us and o ...more
Brandon Cerny
Dec 19, 2011 Brandon Cerny rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
**This book was given to me for free through Goodreads First Reads**

I am always interested in Religious Studies, always looking for something new. Something that make might sense to an agnostic.

Unfortunately, this book was a waste of my time. There is nothing new or particularly insightful about this forage into Bible based faith.

I am sure it will be popular in Christian Libraries and Church gift shops.
Marjorie Gray
Jul 24, 2015 Marjorie Gray rated it really liked it
Holy Scriptures, like a candle or campfire, is best appreciated when two or more are gathered. I read Chris Webb's Renovare book on my own, having failed to find or take the initiative to start a local Renovare spiritual formation group. I confess I did not read, much less meditate on the passages listed at chapter endings. But Richard Foster's foreword and Webb's personal and historical stories illuminated by the light of the world enflamed my passion for the Living Word written and embodied.
Nawnee
Dec 31, 2011 Nawnee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mom, Grandma
Recommended to Nawnee by: Goodreads Contest
Shelves: freebie-books
I won this book from Goodreads.
I actually really liked the way this book was written, even though I'm not all that interested in being able to read or understand the bible any better I can see how this book would be helpful to people that want to get more out of their reading. This is a book I would buy as a gift for my Mom or Grandmother, I think either of them would have appreciated it more than I did.
Jeff
Apr 21, 2016 Jeff rated it liked it
This book is about meeting God in scripture. That's a good idea but not one that is fully appreciated or practiced. Simply too often assumed for those who do read it. This is a book that you need to take your time with. Not that it is difficult; it's not. It simply suggests an approach to scripture that most are not in the habit of practicing. I particularly enjoyed the chapter, Anatomy of the Soul.
Monica
Sep 18, 2012 Monica rated it liked it
Read this with my Bible study group. There were several points of new interest and a fresh way to look at Scripture that enlightened and challenged me. Overall, however, the book was confusing and scattered. A number of chapters started out with stories or anecdotes that had no relevance to the topic that ensued. I don’t think I’d recommend it but there were a few key, wonderful points that I pulled out that have had a positive impact in my life.
Debbie
Dec 30, 2011 Debbie marked it as to-come-back-to
My copy just arrived from the GoodReads First Reads giveaway. I can't wait to get into this book. I'm hoping that it will enhance my reading of the Bible and bring a deeper understanding of the Word!

Then I read in my church newsletter that there will be a new book study starting soon... using this book! Can't wait!
Wendy C
Mar 06, 2012 Wendy C rated it it was amazing
This came to me at a dry time w/Bible reading. The author causes you to really think and I found myself actually being more hungry and engaged with the Word as I looked references up and thought it through. If you don't have it, you should.
Melody
May 04, 2012 Melody rated it it was ok
It was ok. I never cought the 'fire'. There were a few good chapters where he brought a new perspective on scripture, but most of it was just okay-like reading a textbook because it was assigned, not because there is any pleasure in it.
Mark Andrews
Jun 28, 2013 Mark Andrews rated it really liked it
An absolutely great book for discovering the more contemplative, meditative, and prayerful ways of reading scripture. Would be a great book for small groups to read with daily reading for each day for 16 weeks. Spiritually enriching.
Charles Bame
Mar 29, 2013 Charles Bame rated it really liked it
It's been called the first mystery novel and I guess it is. It was so convoluted with so many characters that I found it a bit hard to follow some of the time, but I enjoyed it.
Joyce Morrice
This is a powerful book. Read it slowly and do the exercises. God has a lot of surprising insights for you. I recommend it highly.
Heidi
Oct 28, 2012 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This was worth the 3 months I spent working through the chapters and daily Scriptures. Excellent content and personal experience.
Renee Bienz
Renee Bienz rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Beth Boone
Beth Boone rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Ian Caveny
Ian Caveny rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Ben Proctor
Ben Proctor rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Allie
Allie rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Shelley Bell
Shelley Bell rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Cheri Hudspith
Cheri Hudspith rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Ryan Johnson
Ryan Johnson rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Jeremiah Jones
Jeremiah Jones rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
Vicky
Vicky rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
InterVarsity Pres...: Book Review: The Fire of the Word 1 17 Feb 03, 2012 06:12AM
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • The Good and Beautiful Community: Following the Spirit, Extending Grace, Demonstrating Love
  • Roppongi
  • Ancient-Future Time: Forming Spirituality Through the Christian Year
  • Unceasing Worship: Biblical Perspectives on Worship and the Arts
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • Myth Man

“When Moses heard the voice of God, he shook with terror and hid his face in the folds of his robe. Why? Because he was about to receive a couple of chapters of the book of Exodus? No! He was awestruck because the voice he heard made real and immediate the presence of the Holy One of Israel. In the words, Moses met God. And so can we.” 0 likes