Start by marking “The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue: A Novel

The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue: A Novel

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  572 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Trudy Marino never expected her life to turn out perfectly. But at forty-six, she was content with what she did have: her caring husband Rick . . . twenty-plus happy years raising three accomplished kids . . . and a lovely house in the artistic, vibrantly diverse town of Pueblo, New Mexico. But a heartbreaking discovery and a suddenly shattered marriage now has Trudy looki ...more
Published September 14th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue

Jamie Raintree
I swooned over this novel. The style of this book is only for a particular type of reader--it has a slow pace and is very character-driven--but thankfully, that is my favorite style.

As I read this book, I was in awe at Samuel's well-developed writing technique and the depth of her characters. There is so much genuine culture throughout the cast and I enjoyed seeing their world through different lenses. I related to Trudy from the beginning and loved following her story.

This is one of those books
Elizabeth  (Thoughts From an Evil Overlord)
The neighbors of Kitchen Avenue are building a strong support system for each other. Young Shanelle, mother of two, has built her dream life with her husband. She loves keeping a nice home and raising her boys, and she also has a burning desire to write. Through emails with her mentor, Shanelle learns to push herself creatively and how to balance her family with her passion. Elderly Roberta has just lost her husband and is sorting through life's memories, a task making her granddaughter nervous ...more
Beth
his is one of those novels that draws you in from the first page and you just can't put it down. At the novel's opening, Berta is losing her husband of 62 years to a long illness. As her friends gather round, the novel focuses in turn, on the lives of each of her neighbors.
Trudy is recently separated from her husband of 20+ years. His infidelity took her by surprise. As she struggles to make her way as a single woman in a world she never imagined facing as anything but a couple, she takes stock
Dee
DA4Pups
I couldn't stop reading and I am still thinking about it the next day. I liked that Trudy pulled herself out of grief and devastation to find her old/real self after being a wife and mother for so many years. I liked her. (view spoiler) ...more
Diana
One of Ms. Samuel's earlier books, but I still enjoyed it although not as much as her newer writings. I felt there was way too much discussion about how a man must fit into a woman's life instead of how a woman can have a fulfilling life without a man. Every single female character in this book was man-obsessed & it drove me a little crazy. Don't get me wrong, I like men very much. I have been married for 33 years, but I think it would have been a more interesting book if the female characte ...more
Marleen
In a very short time, Barbara Samuel has become one of my favorite writers. “The Sleeping Night” remains one of my all time favorite books. In this well-written "The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue", Barbara Samuel tells the tale of 4 women who live on the same street, struggling with their relationships versus their own life’s ambitions, their sense of self ; it’s not a light story, on the contrary it deals with realistic issues, and emotions run deep. At moments, it’s quite raw.
The main character
Katy
There comes a time in all our lives where we need to examine what we wanted to do, what we did, and what will we do. In this novel, Samuel explores the lives of four women on Kitchen Avenue who are, at different ages and stages of their lives, doing just that. The central story focuses on 46-year-old Trudy Marino, who is adjusting to being alone again after she kicks out her husband for infidelity. Across the street, her elderly neighbor is mourning the death of her husband. Jade, her granddaugh ...more
Judee
I always enjoy the books of this author. In this one, Trudy, the main character, is in the process of divorcing her cheating husband.A neighbor has just lost her husband after many decades of marriage. Another neighbor is trying to become a published author while managing a family. The widow's granddaughter arrives and enters the scene adding a more modern take to the whole ensemble. All the characters ring true. The descriptions of emotions are vivid. Definitely an essy of women and their stren ...more
Melissapalmer404
Book #86 Read in 2014
The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue by Barbara Samuel

This was a good women's fiction read. It details the lives of four women who are neighbors and who are dealing with issues. Roberta's husband just died. Trudy's husband cheated on her. Jade's ex-husband is in jail. Shannelle's husband does not understand her desire to be a writer. Told in alternating chapters, the women work through their issues and help out each other. This was my first book by this author but I will read mor
Alison
A wonderful story of friendship from a group of people on Kitchen Ave. in Pueblo, Colorado. Everything from romance, death, jealousies, separation, longings and regrets, something familiar to a lot of us. This book has a bit of everything and is told through some wonderful down to earth and diverse characters. It makes you think about what your priorities should be and how much to give of oneself, to be able to be good for others. I have always enjoyed this authors work.
Kristi
The Goddesses of Kitchen Avenue was a fast, fun read.

The story follows a group of multi-generational girlfriends through life's joys and knocks and shows how they help each other through it all.

Inspiring. Positive. Barbara Samuel gives you an inside seat on their friendship circle that was fun to share.
Marcia
A women whose marriage is in crisis, a young struggling writer, a woman boxer and a grieving grandmother—these are some of the women of Kitchen Avenue. Their unique stories intertwine to bring readers a wonderful comfort read as each of them finds her bliss.

Many of the chapters are introduced by exerpts from the lyric poetry of Federico Garcia Lorca. These passages are so inviting that I’ve added “Learn Some Spanish” to my life’s To Do List.

And since I’ve this “thing” for the male voice, the fir
Mary Buckholtz
A novel of self discovery and personal growth.

This is a story about adult women who are on individual journeys of self discovery. It reminds me that it's never too late to become who you were meant to be. Very well written.
Ashley
The whole thing frustrated me, because the MC was so selfish and whiny and irritating. I didn't like who she ended up with, and halfway through when I realized that was what was going to happen, it was so hard to keep going. Her newer books are much, much better.
Pam
Just found out that one of my favorite authors, Barbara O'Neal, also writes under the name Barbara Samuel. This book was great - loved the characters, the degree of detail in the settings, and the way the various storylines were resolved. Can't wait to read more Barbara Samuel books!
Christa
This was another Lifetime movie bottled into a book, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It read quickly and was a nice diversion.

The characters in here were likeable enough, I guess, but no one really stood out as anything special. They were a little bland, and all of their stories were so man-centric that they kind of bugged me after awhile. Don't they have anything else going on in their lives than the men they're pining for?

Another thing that struck me as odd in this book was that the aut
Bobbie Jackson goulette
easy read, wonderful storylines of 3 fabulous women tied together by their love for their neighbor and how they overcome individual tragedies.
Bitsy Weber
Wonderful

This book is so full of warmth and hope, promises that were broken, but hearts were mended and dreams were fulfilled.
JayeL
There is so much to like about this book. I liked that the characters, or at least Trudy, was thinking about her life and what makes her happy. I also liked the goddess angle and what that means in terms of thinking about life. I also like the theme of 'process' and how life is a process, relationships are a process, etc. Sadly, the book kind of ends vaguely and abruptly as if you could start on volume 2 right away, but I couldn't find a v.2. I would have liked an epilogue or something.

This doe
Alicia
This book was very character driven. The characters were interesting and unique. At times I loved and hated each of them, but I couldn't wait to see what would happen with them. I found myself strangely engrossed in the novel though its not usually the type of book I enjoy.
Sue
This was a lovely book - relatable characters, strong women, good insight. I think this might be my first by "Samuel" though I've read all the O'Neal books available. Glad I picked it up.
Jeanne Adamek
3.5 stars. Sadder than I would have wished for, and maybe a bit predictable but still well written and worth reading...
Dale
A fun read. Pure escape. Chick lit.
Donna Riegel
This book was an OK read.
Gayle Mason
Wonderful book for us ladies.
Marisa
Excellent writing, great characters. I loved the different story lines but yet all intersected with each other throughout. Exceptional scenes of redeemable characters in the book. I loved the main heroin Trudy, and partner Rick. I loved how they explained the devastation of an extra martial affaire causes the ones we say we love the most. I enjoyed the book .
Sandra
Love love love this book! Wonderful characters that I would love to meet and sit and have coffee with! Cant wait to read more from this author!
  • Loveplay (Silhouette Desire #289)
  • The Wilder Sisters: A Novel
  • The Way of the Heart
  • Love's Full Circle
  • The Sweet Spot (Sweet on a Cowboy, #1)
  • Except My Love
  • The Garden Angel
  • The Lost Recipe for Happiness
  • Starting from Scratch
  • Marry Me Again (The Second Chance Love Series, Book 1)
  • Race for Redemption (The Grandmaster's Legacy #2)
  • Crescendo
  • Emerald Desire
  • Simply from Scratch
  • Dream Lover
  • The Darkest Heart
  • Pastries: A Novel of Desserts and Discoveries
  • The Man Who Risked it All
Barbara Samuel is a multiple RITA award-winning author with more than 38 books to her credit in a variety of genres. She has written historical and contemporary romances, a number of fantasy novellas with the likes of Susan Wiggs, Jo Beverley and Mary Jo Putney. She now writes women’s fiction about families, dogs, and food as Barbara O’Neal.

Her work has captured a plethora of awards, including six
More about Barbara Samuel...
No Place Like Home Heart of a Knight A Piece of Heaven A Bed of Spices Lady Luck's Map of Vegas

“shout. Then another, and another, a squall out” 0 likes