Start by marking “The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery #11)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery #11)

The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery #11)

Indulge in another Chocoholic mystery in the national bestselling series.

Lee McKinney Woodyard discovers a dusty trophy inside TenHuis Chocolade that belongs to her aunt Nettie and her old high school singing group, the Pier-O-Ettes. It's a trophy that brings back terrible memories of an unsolved murder years ago.

Before Lee takes aim at the past, someone is murdered in the
Published October 1st 2011 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Castle Clue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Castle Clue

LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series features Lee McKinney Woodyard, her Aunt Nettie, and TenHuis Chocolade. Lee manages the store for Nettie.

In this edition Lee finds an old trophy while cleaning out their storage garage. She can’t wait to share it with her Aunt. She found it at the perfect time since Nettie was hosting a reunion for her old high school singing group, The Pier-O-Ettes, the group that won the trophy.

But the trophy didn’t get the reaction Lee had expected. It seems to have brought back some terrible memo
Fred
Oct 06, 2014 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 11th book in the Chocoholic Mystery series.

I really enjoy reading about Lee, and her friends in Warner Pier, MI. Lee manages the day to day activities of the TenHuis Chocolade store in Warner Pier, a store owned by her aunt. Lee is in the process of cleaning a garage out that TenHuis has been using for storage. In doing so she finds a trophy that the Pier-O-Ettes had won at the local dance hall some 45 years ealier. It so happens that the six ladies who made up the group are all in t
Ann
Feb 07, 2013 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a borderline 3 rating. Lee Woodward is the owner of TenHuis Chocolade in Warner Pier, Michigan. She is cleaning out some old file cabinets and finds a box of photographs and a trophy from the Castle Ballroom. Her aunt Nettie is hosting a reunion of her former schoolmates with whom she performed as the Pir-O-Ettes, a local singing group. Lee takes the box to show the women but their reaction is confusing. One of the women screams and runs when she sees the trophy and Lee soon learns that ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Lee and Joe Woodyard get tangled up in the past when Aunt Nettie's singing group from the old days reunites for the High School reunions. Lee had not known about Aunt Nettie even singing, let alone, at a popular ballroom. The Castle Ballroom shut shortly after the owner committed suicide, or did he?

The Ladies gather but so do unexpected guests. Who summoned them and why? The past rises up and becomes a current murder mystery.

Aunt Nettie asks Lee to snoop and find the killer, unknowingly, what A
Staci
Dec 04, 2011 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
I don't know about you, but for me a good cozy is such a great comfort read. This was my first introduction to JoAnna Carl's writing but it certainly will not be my last. I loved the whole idea of running a chocolate shop (I adore chocolate) and the added plus for me was having the story take place in Michigan. The characters weren't over the top and believe it or not Lee actually did stop herself from recklessly going into danger! Gasp! I know....sometimes cozies make us suspend belief but this ...more
NA Fronczak
Nov 04, 2011 NA Fronczak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lee's 60-ish Aunt Nettie is hosting a reunion of her high school singing group - the Pier-o-ettes. Forty years ago, they had worked at the Castle Ballroom, which was closed down when the owner died of a gunshot wound. During the reunion weekend, the owner's widow was shot. The Pier-o-ettes and Lee are reluctantly involved in the investigation of both murders. This was a fun read with the usual JoAnna Carl twist at the end.
Mark Baker
Mar 02, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, mystery
Lee Woodyard finds herself in another case when a reunion of her aunt's old high school singing group leads to a murder. As always, I love these characters and the plot moves forward very quickly. The definition of a light but fun mystery

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Catherine
Jan 09, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting mystery. One where chocolate at your side is needed. The senior characters were an added feature. The author held you tnterest till the end. I will read more of this series. Love these cost mysteries.
Lisa Neal
This is a fun, silly read!
Oct 09, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: next
Easily my favorite book of hers. The plot was complex and well-developed. Many cozy authors become formulaic but this one broke the mold. The story was very different and really kept me entertained. I've always enjoyed this series but this definitely kept me interested. Excited to start the next book!
Jamie
Dec 10, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lee Woodyard finds an old trophy while cleaning out her aunt's garage that dredges up a 40-year-old murder mystery. But finding the solution to the unsolved murder is turning out to be just as deadly today.

Why are the first pages such an info dump if this is the 11th book in the series? I'd been looking forward to these mid-series books specifically because I'd been hoping to avoid this issue. And Michigan, Michigan, Michigan. Screw Michigan. It doesn't even go out of the way to flatter it like
Lorraine
May 29, 2014 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves chocolate.
Shelves: fiction, mystery-cozy, own
A quick read. I found the chocolate trivia fun. As this is the 1st book in this series that I have read, I do not know the othe trivia in the other books. In this book the chocolate trivia is about companies that make chocolate. I was pleased to discover that The Chickasaw Nation of South Central Oklahoma owns a chocolate company called Bedre. As one who has a huge interest in Native Americans, I am also a member of the National Museum of American Indians at the Smithsoian in Washington, DC. Bac ...more
Luffy
Mar 07, 2016 Luffy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another case solved by yours truly although I didn't understand some of the plot points at the end as i was impatient and reading fast. The motive and modus operandi of the murderer left a lot to be desired. My mind thronged with ideas about how good exactly this book was. It was a book that set up palpitating points rather laboriously, and not too successfully. It did succeed as a cozy mystery, and the reading experience was okay. I'm thinking this book deserves more than one star but then I r ...more
Jakayla Bryant
Apr 17, 2014 Jakayla Bryant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great mystery. It always kept you on the edge and was super intriguing. When I was reading it I couldn't put it down. I also liked it because you weren't having nightmares at night... i get scared super easily! This book also had an underlying love story and it was really cute. It has many other good stories that follow up on it. It's almost like a Nancy Drew kind of book. I rate this book 4/5 stars because it sometimes was a little to slow, i just really wanted to know what happ ...more
Joanne
Nov 03, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently learned this type of book is called a cozy mystery. Reminds me of a Nancy Drew for adults and they talk about chocolate!

Lee gets involved with her Aunt Nettie and her high school friends called the Pier-O-Ettes. About 40 years have passed since the girls have been together and there is a little mystery surrounding something that happened many years ago. Middle aged women are not forthcoming about that fateful night when they were teens. It's an easy read filled with the innonence of
Nancy
Oct 16, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series. Quite entertaining. Lots of action, quick read!!

Indulge in another Chocoholic mystery in the national bestselling series.

Before Lee takes aim at the past, someone is murdered in the here and now. Lee needs to keep her eyes o
Susan
When Lee's beloved Aunt Nettie agrees to host a reunion of the singing group she appeared in, as part of a larger high school reunion, the Pier-o-Ettes gather, with trouble riding shotgun. The group won a trophy for best amateur group at Warner Pier's dance hall, the Castle, the night before the owner was found dead. His widow has long insisted that his death was not suicide, as the insurance company stated. Now she's mysteriously dead, too, and the six women who sang together and worked at the ...more
Paula
Feb 20, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is there such a subject as "chick lit mysteries"? That is what this would fall under. A good one it is,too. Just the right combination of murder,mystery,humor,and fun. Very much enjoyed. This is part of a whole series of "The Chocoholic Mystery" series. Was lucky to find it-where I find a lot of my own books- on a Goodwill bookshelf. Might have to go back and look for the rest of the series! All thumbs up from me. Like the small town feel,the heroine, the whole concept. In short- recommended!!! ...more
Trudy
Jan 10, 2013 Trudy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chocolate Castle Clue is a well-written mystery set in small town Michigan (on the shore of Lake Michigan). This is a quick, entertaining read, interspersed with chocolate factoids...what could be better?

The Chocolate Castle Clue is the eleventh book in Carl's Chocoholic Mystery Series, so I'm sure I have encountered some "spoilers" for the earlier books in the series (which I do plan to read), but thankfully, Carl does not really dwell on details of the previous mysteries in the course of t
Jen
Jun 02, 2013 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Apparently I got behind in the series while waiting for my library to finally get a copy of this one, and now there are 3 more I need to read.

While I enjoyed the mystery surrounding Aunt Nettie and her longtime gal pals, I felt like it wrapped up rather suddenly after mostly going nowhere. It was definitely a clever tale, but with less action than some of the other books.

And has Lee always said "ye gods!" quite so much? Even her slips of the tongue were more annoying than cute. She just wasn't
Emilia
Feb 23, 2015 Emilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what was the book about? well... and what wasn't it about - I think it had everything in it! :) a solid cozy mystery, fast paced, quick read, lots of twists and unexpected turns, kept me guessing till the end :) High School reunion, old crime that pops out, some secrets are revealed, relationship gets a little shake...
so... why the trophy? why is one of the reunion girls screaming when she sees it all of a sudden after so many years?
well. have to read it to find out :)
Karen
Apr 03, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and light-hearted series--- perfect when you need an easy read. I live in Holland, MI, so all the landmarks and such near the fictional town of Warner Pier is home to me. :) This is the 10th book in the series and while I will continue to read them all (because at this point the characters feel like old friends!) the series is starting to feel like the same old, same old-- no surprises anymore-- same story each time.
Theresa Malloy
This was a later book in the series and again interesting because it broke the mold of some of her initial ones. Lee's aunt is hosting her high school acapela group for a 45-year reunion. The ladies have a secret past that seems to haunt them at the restaurant where they used to work and perform. A begrudged widow turns up dead, and the group immediately become the suspects in the case. Lee has to clear their name, solve the case, but she also becomes a target. Another quick read.
Mary
Jun 11, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back when her Aunt was young, she was in an all girl group that entertained at the local club called the Castle. But the owner was murdered. In trying to find out what happened to the owner's wife, who was killed on the way to her house, Lee finds out the truth of what happened back when Nettie was young.
Irene
Sep 15, 2012 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this in the new books section of the library and it looked cute, so I thought I'd try it out. I didn't know this was a series, don't even know if they have the same main character or if they are stand-alone. Anyway, the story was indeed cute, no high-standing literature, but entertaining enough. Very quick read.
Deb
How can anyone resist a book with Chocolate in the title? I picked the book up off the new book shelf at the library. I enjoyed the book and I will probably read more in the series. It wasn't a book I would rush out to recommend to anyone. But it was a fast read and sometimes that is exactly what I need.
Katherine Decker
May 15, 2016 Katherine Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-bingo
Another enjoyable read from Warner Pier. Aunt Nettie's high school friends are in town for their high school reunion and some laughs. Lee is excited to hear them sing again as the Pier-O-Etts, but the death of a grouchy, old women threatens to ruin the mood and dig up a 45 year mystery that is better left uncovered. Fun characters, intriguing plot and great writing make this a great read.
Sandybear76
Aunt Nettie's singing group from high school is gathering for a reunion. Lee and the chocolate shop have made special chocolates for the big event. As the old friends chatted and relive the fun times, an old bitter woman is killed on her way to Lee and Joe's house with news of her husband's death over 40 years ago.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
I'm a huge fan of Carl's mysteries. They are quick to read, take place in a small Michigan resort town and the main character works at a chocolate shop.

She always leaves you guessing who did it. I go back and forth trying to decide. Always exciting to find out who and why.

Lots of chocolate trivia about chocolatiers dividing a lot of the chapters.
Joan
Feb 22, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anything that involves chocolate is ok with me. Lee, the main character, runs a chocolate shop in a small town on Lake Michigan. She searches for answers to a decades old murder and ends up connecting it to a very recent one. It's fast-paced and didn't disappoint.
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Chocolate Castle Clue 1 3 Jan 10, 2013 06:59AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: The Chocolate Castle Clue 1 4 Dec 15, 2012 02:07PM
  • Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Red Velvet Revenge (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #4)
  • The Gingerbread Bump-Off (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #6)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • Bookplate Special (Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Finger Lickin' Dead (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #2)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl...

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)