Start by marking “Rys Rising (Rys Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rys Rising (Rys Rising, #1)

Rys Rising (Rys Rising #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
An outlaw rises to become a dreaded warlord, the terror of kings. He takes the name Amar and seeks to join the Kez, the fiercest mercenary society in the tribal kingdoms of Gyhwen. His fearless ambition is inspired by Onja, a mysterious rys female whose magic has shaped Amar into a loyal friend. He zealously pursues her every command and hopes to join her in her mythic hom ...more
Nook
Published August 7th 2011 by Smashwords (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rys Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rys Rising

William Stuart
Nov 14, 2015 William Stuart rated it it was amazing
Rys Rising caught my eye as I was looking for something new to add to my TBR. After all, who doesn’t like a story about people rising up against oppression or a good revenge story!

Synopsis (from the author): A young warrior ruined and near death is saved by Onja a mysterious rys female. Forsaking all that he was, he will take the name Amar and serve his new magical mistress. A lord among outlaws he will become, feared by kings and called the dro-shalum or curse demon by the common folk.

What I li
Catherine Vickers
Nov 19, 2013 Catherine Vickers rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic adventure tale. This, for me, is the perfect book. Lots of different sub plots with different characters. I love a book that keeps me thinking rather than one whereby my mind sleeps whilst I'm actually reading. This book is full of action ie lots going on.

I've just become a big fan of Tracy Falbe. Great style of writing. Easy to follow. A book I just totally relaxed in and kept looking forward to my reading session.

In some sense it tackles the delicate matters of racism wi
Steven Pemberton
Feb 17, 2012 Steven Pemberton rated it it was ok
I got this book for free, and might not have bought it had I needed to pay for it. There are flashes of brilliance, but for the most part I found the book tedious and long-winded.
Melanie Adkins
Feb 21, 2012 Melanie Adkins rated it liked it
In another world, civil unrest is just as much a part of their lives as it has been for others. The Rys, Tabre, and humans were trying to coexist in one world. The Rys were considered the lowest of the low. The Tabre thinking themselves superior tried to keep the Rys as slaves and under their thumb. It was a battle of magic, wits and intelligence. They even tried to breed to Rys with Tabres in hopes of enhancing the Tabre race. What happened was not expected. The Tabre's left their Rys children ...more
Morgan Wyatt
Jul 08, 2013 Morgan Wyatt rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Rys Rising by Tracy Falbe is an epic fantasy that displays a world, which is both magical and feudalistic. Ms. Falbe has created a detailed world populated by complex characters. Amar is the story’s hero who finds himself forced out of power and an outlaw. A powerful magical female saves him. Onja wants him for own purposes.

Rys Rising is book one in a series rather like the Lord of the Rings. This book sets up the emergence of a new, vivid world and the creation of dro-shalum, curse demon. As in
Rose Wynters
May 24, 2013 Rose Wynters rated it it was amazing
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. If you enjoy action-packed fantasy, you will love Rys Rising by Tracy Falbe. She has created an exciting fantasy world full of characters that each play a great role in the plot itself. I was really impressed by how well she could pack so many details into the pages. You walk away feeling as if you know each character personally.

This is not a book that you will read through and feel disappointed that it was over too quick. This
Jennifer Erwin
Aug 27, 2014 Jennifer Erwin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I feel bad leaving a 1-star rating but I just can't seem to get into this book. It's not that I don't like fantasy but it's just not grabbing my attention. I'm stopping at 9% because life is too short and my to be read pile isn't getting any smaller. This might be perfect for someone else, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Christine Kolbe
Apr 10, 2014 Christine Kolbe rated it liked it
I loved The Rye Chronicles, so I'm not new to Tracy Falbe, and I hope the rest of the series really picks up. I just didn't love this book at all and couldn't bring myself to read it straight through. I took several breaks to read other books between attempts at finishing this. I gave it three stars, because there are some good points: I really understand Dacian and Onja better, and the way the Tabre treated the Rys really made me feel for the Rys. It takes good writing to invoke emotion, so I h ...more
Jeroen Steenbeeke
Nov 28, 2012 Jeroen Steenbeeke rated it it was amazing
I've found Rys Rising to be one of the better fantasy books I've read in the past year. I've found the various characters to be very well done, and despite their flaws to be quite likable.

A lot of fantasy I've read lately tends to lean toward the "gritty" variety, which is not my preference. I can happily report that Rys Rising does not fit in this category, though there is plenty of conflict in the story.

There was only one thing I disliked, which was the point of view switching that occurred wh
Victoria Brinius
Jul 11, 2013 Victoria Brinius rated it really liked it
This was an epic, descriptive and race war story about survival. The author wrote the surroundings so clear that I think that I could draw a picture. I felt like I was inside the book with the surroundings around me as well. I also got involved with the complex yet realistic characters. My favorite part was when the humans teamed up with the Rys. I also liked the complexity of the story. There were so many sub plots. However I found myself wondering about each one. This is a no noise in the back ...more
Marketa Fei
Feb 26, 2015 Marketa Fei rated it did not like it
While the binding and cover art were beautiful, the book is typeset like a scientific technical paper, which continually pulled me out of the story as I struggled to follow what seemed to be an attempt at a constructed language for the world created by simply combining terms from different linguistic traditions, which was incredibly confusing. I can't even tell you how I felt about the plot because of the numerous and varied distractions. Even having received a free copy through a GoodReads give ...more
Jeremiah
Jul 27, 2012 Jeremiah rated it really liked it
A companion to Tracy Fable's Rys Chornicles. This story takes you to the beginning off the rys rule over the western world. You learn much behind the characters of Ojna and you learn more4 about Dacian. All in all it was a great first book to a series I look forward to reading more.
jessica paish
jessica paish rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
hi
hi marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Bri
Bri marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Jeffrey A Spencer
Jeffrey A Spencer is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
John Lincoln
John Lincoln marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Corey Rugar
Corey Rugar marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Janeen Garner
Janeen Garner marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Darnise Chilo
Darnise Chilo rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
PJ
PJ marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Beatriz Almeida
Beatriz Almeida marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
sam booker
sam booker marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
The Book Hermit
The Book Hermit marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Adam
Adam added it
Feb 02, 2016
Renetta DeBoer
Renetta DeBoer marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
  • Blue Fire and Ice (Land’s Tale, #1)
  • Mighty Hammer Down
  • The Reckoning (The Marenon Chronicles, #3)
  • Tempest Rise (Treborel, #1)
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Ghost Dagger (Ghosts, #2.5)
  • Wolverine's Daughter
  • Soul Seeker (Lasniniar, #1)
  • Avion (The Crystal Rose Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Moon Magic
  • The Cost of Haven (Great Cities, #1)
  • A Mage's Power (Journey to Chaos, #1)
  • Legends (Legend of the White Dragon, #1)
  • Soul of the Dragon (Soul, #1)
  • Phoenix Feather
  • Defiance (Dragonics & Runics #1)
  • The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1)
  • Betrothal (Queen's Honor, #1)
I write heroes with flaws with the heroines they need. Magic, epic landscapes, and the temptations of power fill my novels.

Please add my books listed below to your reading list. Many fantasy fans have enjoyed them.

Freebies at my website:

Rys Rising: Book I

Union of Renegades: The Rys Chronicles Book I
More about Tracy Falbe...

Rys Rising (4 books)
  • Savage Storm (Rys Rising, #2)
  • New Religion (Rys Rising, #3)
  • Love Lost (Rys Rising #4)