Start by marking “Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy, #1)

Of Poseidon (The Syrena Legacy #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  36,350 Ratings  ·  3,855 Reviews
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds t ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Of Poseidon, please sign up.

Belle I don't know if you've read this but this one's worth the shot. In fact the whole series is worth the shot. The characters were great and the plot's…moreI don't know if you've read this but this one's worth the shot. In fact the whole series is worth the shot. The characters were great and the plot's amazing :) (less)
Deedra Shackford I love this book! It is actually my favorite book. if you like romances with those inhuman twist, this is a great read. (this sentence may be counted…moreI love this book! It is actually my favorite book. if you like romances with those inhuman twist, this is a great read. (this sentence may be counted as a spoiler) Especially when Galen is extremely over protective!(less)
Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonThrone of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
10th out of 1,017 books — 6,363 voters
YA Novels of 2012
51st out of 1,325 books — 10,604 voters

More lists with this book...

Steph Sinclair
It's official. Mermaids are the new "angels" of the Paranormal Romance genre. The is the second mermaid book I've read and I'm less than impressed with these sea creatures. Incidentally, Of Poseidon happens to be worse for me than Lies Beneath .

Of Poseidon tells the story of Emma, a girl who possesses a few Syrena (mermaid) traits, and Galen, a Syrena prince, who attempts to unravel the secrets of Emma. It's discovered that she has the Gift of Poseidon (think Dr. Dolittle at the aquarium) and t
Kat Kennedy
I don’t read many books that I would rate 1 star these days. I seem to have mastered my preferences and hit a stride of excellent books – or at least mostly readable books.

Admittedly I only made it fifty-six pages into this book before I threw my hands up in disgust and tossed a pillow at the wall – so I suggest you take that into account when deciding whether to buy this book.

Why did I stop reading?
First reason:

The death of a token character

Token

We didn’t know her long enough, but I’m pretty sure sh
Katya
Ariel
May 11, 2014 Ariel rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS SO GREAT! HOLY MOLY, BATMAN!

I'm going to keep my review short, because I WILL be doing a video review of this series in my wrap up for #MermaidMay, but here are some of the reasons this book was awesome:

1) A light-hearted sunshine good time: this book didn't try to become something deeper than it is, it's a jolly good time! There ARE some darker moments, and they perfectly added intensity to the plot, but it never got bogged down - it remained a good time!

2) The mythology: It's fas
Nafiza
Apr 23, 2012 Nafiza rated it did not like it
Shelves: net-galley, 2012
This is going to be an incredibly difficult review to write for a multitude of reasons but especially because I hate giving a not so positive review to a debut author. However, I cannot, in good conscience, let these things pass me by so if you are reading this, keep in mind that the following are my opinions and ones you may not necessarily agree with but nevertheless, they are opinions I have a right to express.

Of Poseidon promises a lighthearted story dabbling in the mythology of mermaids and
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Sounds good, but I kind of wish (view spoiler)
shady boots
This review is also available over at my blog.

______________________

I made it about 130-something pages before I decided that I could not stand to suffer through this book anymore.

What bothered me right off the bat was the writing style. It alternates between Emma's and Galen's POVs, but get this: Emma's chapters are first person, while Galen's are third. I mean... WHY? Just, WHY? Why do there have to be both styles? Why can't Galen's chapters be first person or Emma's be third? And it's not lik
Giselle
May 18, 2012 Giselle rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own, paranormal
With a beautiful cover like this it's hard to resist not checking out what Of Poseidon is all about. I haven't had the best of luck with mermaid books in the past, though I haven't read very many of them. Of Poseidon is, so far, one of the better ones I've had the experience of reading. It has an interesting premise with a beautiful underwater world, but I did have a few quirks with it that stopped me from truly loving it.

Almost immediately, I felt like something was off with the writing. It ha
Wendy Higgins
SO GOOD. Galen....mmmmmmm.
Mandy K
Jun 17, 2015 Mandy K rated it really liked it
Full Review

When I was younger, I wanted to be a dolphin. Once I realized that was unlikely, I settled for being a mermaid. I've been mildly obsessed ever since. Mermaids are my favorite mythical creature (right before dragons), and I devour every mermaid story, movie, or show I can get my hands on. This book was a bit ridiculous, unrealistic, and a bit too convenient at times, and I loved every second of it. I loved learning about the Syrena and their abilities, social structures, and history. U
Danny
Apr 24, 2012 Danny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: imm-march

Review posted at Bewitched Bookworms

Epic Awesomeness!!!!
You know one of the best things about writing reviews and featuring books on your blog is when you have a book that literally blew you away! Of Poseidon is such a book and beware of my fangirly excitement which will follow in the next paragraphs.

Like with many other books Of Poseidon drew me initially in because of this gorgeous cover! I simply adore this girl in the water, I loooove the white and the green, it’s incredible! I can’t wait
Sarah (saz101)
Sweet, flirty, and unashamedly fun, Of Poseidon is bringing back mermaids. Angst? Nope. These teenage supernaturals eat fish, not blood, and no-one here is sprouting hair and claws. Fins, though? Well that’s a different story...

The Story:
When Galen, a Syrena (read: merman) prince watches a human girl single-handedly fight off a shark, and win, he knows she’s not what she seems. Perhaps not human at all. After all, the Syrena themselves can pass as human—growing legs, breathing air, and walking o
Summer ✿
Jul 22, 2013 Summer ✿ rated it did not like it
***Update July 22, 2013***
Upon reading Mythology by Edith Hamilton for my summer reading assignment, this specific quote has come to my attention:

"Triton was the trumpeter of the sea. His trumpet was a great shell. He was the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite." (38)

Really, Anna Banks? Really? You couldn't even get the basic facts down? (For those who haven't read this, she claimed that Triton and Poseidon are brothers. Why? That's beyond me.) Now I for sure won't be reading the next book.
______
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
Jun 19, 2015 Rachel (APCB Reviews) rated it it was ok
Read the full non-spoilery review @A Perfection Called Books

The Concept:

I was a bit hesitant to read this book because whenever I think of mermaids, wait, I don't think of mermaids! That's just it. It seems like such a childish idea/fantasy, it's something I haven't though about since the days of watching The Little Mermaid. I didn't think I'd like this book because it focuses on mermaids, but I did end up liking it! The mer-people in this book are called Syrena. There's forbidden romance, myste
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Nov 26, 2012 Christina (A Reader of Fictions) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those deserving of cruel and unusual punishment
Recommended to Christina (A Reader of Fictions) by: no one. I brought this pain on myself.
Originally posted here.

I really, really would like to find a mermaid book that I like a lot, but that search will be continuing. Of Poseidon is a book that most readers are probably going to love or be entirely annoyed by. Banks has a definite style, one that will either amuse and enchant you, or that will make you roll your eyes vigorously over and over again. For me, it was the latter.

Problem one is the host of YA tropes in the characters and their relationship to one another. Emma, a card-car
Candy Melissa Kwong
Apr 09, 2015 Candy Melissa Kwong rated it liked it
This review is originally posted on The Bookish Girl
-----------------------------------------------
You can get this book on Bookdepository
-----------------------------------------------
I first picked up this series because I thought it had something to do with Greek Mythology, which I’m obsessed with. As it turned out, there was nothing “Greeky” about it. However, I can ensure you that this book is not a disappointment, but rather a surpri
Kari Anne
I LOVED the book. I don't think I've ever smiled and laughed out loud from a book this much before. The characters were so alive, they were just like teenages at that age. Emma; I fell in love with her from the first page. Her voice was so clear, natural and witty, and every reaction she had was just like I would've reacted in situations like that. The fact that she often got shy was one of her best qualities, and I really loved her temper. And then there's Galen. Galen, Galen, Galen. I LOVE HIM ...more
Kassidy
Apr 21, 2014 Kassidy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
*4.25*

Super cute and fun!
I loved the main characters, their relationship was addicting to read about and I loved how they interacted! The characters were also very funny and had very distinct personalities.
The side characters were also great and definitely added so much to the book.
I was a little confused about the world, but I think I figured everything out by the end. The plot is also pretty crazy with some plot twists thrown in there!
This book is just so enjoyable and I can't wait to read the
Kara
Oct 13, 2012 Kara rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5

As seen on: Bookosaur

I picked upOf Poseidonfor one reason and one reason only: The Little Mermaid. I watched The Little Mermaid so much when I was little that every time I see adinglehopper, err.. a fork, I'm tempted tocomb my hair. Suffice it to say, whenOf Poseidonmade it onto my radar, I fell for the premise - hook, line and sinker.Of Poseidonis your average fish out of water story - literally. Galen, a Syrena prince, is sent to land in search of a girl who supposedly possesses th
Debbie I Heart YA Books
Apr 19, 2012 Debbie I Heart YA Books rated it it was amazing
If you think the cover of Of Poseidon is beautiful, just wait till you start reading this amazingly beautiful novel. Anna Banks has written a captivating story. The romance between Galen and Emma will capture your heart. I could not put this novel down. Anna Banks’ writing is beautiful. This is the best word to describe this novel perfectly…"Beautiful". Of Poseidon is told from Emma’s and Galen's point of view, and this made the story so much deeper for me. I love to see both characters’ thought ...more
мεgяεร.
Nov 12, 2015 мεgяεร. rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review also appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

This is what happens when I don’t heed the advice of my most trusted book buddies. A book like Of Poseidon comes along and many hours are wasted on its torturous and infuriating pages. The start was really promising, with Emma and her friend Chloe literally stumbling into a super attractive guy called Galen. Galen happens to be a royal Syrena (or merman) from the House of Triton, and he believes that Emma is a Syrena wit
Bekah AwesomeBookNut
Reread: Feb. 25, 2015 Rating-same. 3.5

Mermaids hahaha it was a easy fun read, I thought it was going to be about Greek Mythology, but instead, I get Mermaids or should I say Mermans! It was cute yet typical, a story about mermaids was new for me but the overall idea of the story was not...I was a little surprised with the abrupt ending but of course it did that because this is a series! hello! My little sister liked it a lot but for me it was just nothing new.

Ok so, Syrena (underwater world of
Kelvin
Of Poseidon is probably the funniest book I’ve read this whole year (I don’t care that we’re only a month in) and as an added bonus, we got mermaids which I’ve never read about in any YA novel! We follow Emma and Galen as they uncover Emma’s backstory and abilities but we also get plenty of relationship cuteness and drama blended in. There are problems with characterization and the plot that need to be addressed but on the whole, I did like this book.

Even though this book is about mermaids, we s
Jess
Sep 26, 2014 Jess rated it did not like it
If you’re up for a good plot idea but odd and unflattering execution that manages to insult the female race with it’s promotion of patriarchalism, then this is your book.

If, like me, all you’ve ever asked for is a mildly engaging plot, simple (I’m not asking for anyone to spew the dictionary) but fluid and concise writing with a sprinkling of tastefully used metaphors, a good grasp on tense and POV, characterisation that is either relatable or satirical and a little bit of common sense then t
Kristy
May 11, 2012 Kristy rated it liked it
Of Poseidon was not what I was expecting. From the title, I was thinking something along the lines of the Percy Jackson Poseidon and I didn’t get that at all. I got Mermaids! (oops sorry Syrena). I very much so enjoyed myself with this one. Yes, there was some cheese-tastic moments, but all in all I had a swimmingly good time…. < yep I just went there!

I have to note I think I would have been goo-goo-gaga crazy in love with this back in High School…. Being the old spinster that I am now, I di
Cynn
Jul 11, 2014 Cynn rated it liked it

Triton's trident, la sorpresa que me he llevado con este libro.

Of Poseidon es la primera entrega de la trilogía "The Syrena Legacy" y cuenta la historia de Emma una chica de 18 años que posee una "peculiar" apariencia física;pelo tan rubio que parece blanco, ojos violetas y piel del color de la porcelana. Pero no es solo su apariencia lo que la hace especial, y ella lo descubre un día, cuando conoce a Galen un chico que tiene la esperanza de que ella sea la clave para evitar la guerra entre los
Kristi
Aug 31, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
Maybe I enjoyed this one so much because I’m a sucker for a mermaid story. That being said, I wasn’t expecting much. The cover is gorgeous and that got my attention, but the plot didn’t get me excited. A girl that can talk to fish is going to save a kingdom? Seriously?

It starts with Emma going on vacation with her best friend. She literally runs into this guy, Galen. Of course he is absolutely gorgeous and he has these strange eyes. I know, I know! But stay with me here!

Emma and her friend Chloe
Nickle Love (Night Owl Reads)
[July 23]

Read the full review at The Series Junkie.

Ohmysweetgoodness! Galen is so adorable. Every thing he does, I find adorable. I wish he was real and I know him because I want to pinch his cheeks for being to damn adorable. Every character is also likable/lovable, even Rayna, Galen's twin, who seems to be the mean girl type. But for 20-year-old twins, they seem immature, especially Rayna. I still love all the characters presented in this novel, even Emma's mom who makes funny remarks.

I like t
Sarah (YA Love)
I went to the Fierce Reads author event in Lansing on Friday planning on buying only two of the books featured. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks was featured, and I didn’t plan on buying it because I didn’t know much about it and I’m not always sure about “mermaid books.” Once it was Anna Banks‘ turn to discuss her book, however, my plans changed. She started out saying that she wanted to write a Sasquatch love story but didn’t think the world was ready for that yet. I knew at that moment that I wanted ...more
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath, #1)
  • Tempest Unleashed (Tempest, #2)
  • Just for Fins (Fins, #3)
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • Monstrous Beauty
  • The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
  • Breathless
  • Struck (Struck, #1)
  • Wrecked
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2)
  • Illuminate (Gilded Wings, #1)
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • Dragonswood (Wilde Island Chronicles, #2)
  • Elemental (Auri, #1)
  • Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1)
New York Times Bestselling author of The Syrena Legacy series.

Grew up in a town called Niceville. No, seriously. I graduated from Niceville High School. So did J Lo's second husband. And the guy that plays Aqua Man on Smallville dated my best friend.

Now I indulge my tendency to lie by writing the lies down and selling them to publishers. Well actually my agent sells it, so she's an accomplice to
More about Anna Banks...

The Syrena Legacy (3 books)
  • Of Triton (The Syrena Legacy, #2)
  • Of Neptune (The Syrena Legacy, #3)

“Galen?”
“Hmm?”
“You can put me down now.”
“I’m not ready yet.” He tightens his hold.
“You don’t have to hold—“
“Emma? Can you hear me?”
“Uh, yes. I can hear fine. I just can’t see—“
“That’s a relief. Because for a minute there, I thought maybe you didn’t hear me when I said I’m not ready yet.”
“Jackass.”
282 likes
“Basically, everyone thinks--knows--how sweet I am.

Emma, you threw my sister through hurricane-proof glass.”
277 likes