Start by marking “Coyote Blue” as Want to Read:
Coyote Blue

Coyote Blue

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,241 Ratings  ·  875 Reviews
From Christopher Moore, author of Fluke, comes a quirky, irreverent novel of love, myth, metaphysics, outlaw biking, angst, and outrageous redemption.

As a boy growing up in Montana, he was Samson Hunts Alone -- until a deadly misunderstanding with the law forced him to flee the Crow reservation at age fifteen. Today he is Samuel Hunter, a successful Santa Barbara insurance
Audiobook, Audible.com, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published December 19th 2008 by Recorded Books (first published January 1994)

Patrick
Jan 08, 2016 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I've been a fan of Christopher Moore's work for years now, and I thought I'd already read everything in his rather substantial backlist. When I first discovered him, I fell in love, and ordered every single one of his books on Audio and binge-listened to them all.

So imagine my delight when the other day I stumbled onto this on Audible: one of his early books that I'd somehow missed.

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting to be wowed. This was only his second published book, after all. And as I've seen w
Lyn
Feb 26, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore was his second novel, published in 1994. Moore tells the tale of Sam Hunter, ne Samson Hunts Alone, a Crow Indian who runs away from the reservation and begins a new life in Santa Barbara as a successful insurance salesman. His life takes an unexpected turn when his spirit helper, the Crow trickster god Coyote pays him a visit.

This is written with Moore’s inexhaustible command of entertaining and amusing similes and metaphors, I laughed out loud several times. Wh
Emma
Apr 07, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Under any normal circumstances, I would never have picked this book up. I associated the name Christopher Moore with “Bite Me,” a book I’d seen the cover for and assumed it was an exploitative parody of the vampire novels that have been so popular lately (in short, I judged a book by its cover). The reason I did buy this book was that we were assigned to read it for class. I wasn’t thrilled about that either. But as I began to read it, within the preface, I was already falling in love with Chris ...more
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
With so many laugh-out-loud moments, Coyote Blue is a fractured fairy-tale worth reading, even if Christopher Moore's second book does suffer from sophomore slump!

I'll write a full review when I have time, but for now here's...

DAVE'S FINAL JUDGMENT -

THE DEFENSE
- Often hysterically funny
- Eclectic cast of characters grab your attention and never let go
- Moore's wit and creativity are on full display
- Refreshingly original

THE PROSECUTION
- Attempts to mix comedy and drama are less than su
Marvin
Apr 11, 2011 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Three and a half stars.

While Coyote Blue doesn't sparkle like the other Christopher Moore books I've read, it is still a very funny novel. Moore takes on Native American mythology is much the same way he played with Christianity in Lamb. It is clear that Old Man Coyote is not the only prankster around. Moore himself is quite the mischief maker especially of the literary type. I am also getting into the authors' reuse of characters in his books and enjoyed the return of Minty Fresh who is my favo
Kemper
May 31, 2009 Kemper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, magic
Very funny. I didn't like it quite as much as some other Moore books like Lamb, Fool, or Bloodsucking Fiends, but still good for a lot of laughs. Loved the Old Man Coyote character.
Wayne Wilson
Oct 16, 2009 Wayne Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I have read this year! If I could give the book more than 5 stars I would. This is like reading a book of mythology set in modern times with a great love story thrown into the mix to create just the right motivation and imagery. Maybe it is the one sixteenth Native American in my genes but learning about Coyote one of the great Gods of the Crow Nation was a delight and a spiritual awakening.

Our main character Sampson Hunts Alone is an insurance sales man in Santa Barbara going by t
DJ Harris
Apr 09, 2013 DJ Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites, review, funny, dark
Carmen
Jan 25, 2016 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.

This was my first Christopher Moore novel and I'm happily addicted. I like novelists who like their characters. I also like novelists who like to screw with their characters, and even more so, are clever enough to let other characters do their dirty work for them.

Coyote Blue is the story of Samson Hunts Alone, who leaves the Crow reservation in flight from a crime he committed, and lives a life built on lies.

But then again, so do most of the other characters in this book.

The novel is built o
Brian  J. J.
Mar 17, 2014 Brian J. J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe that the only reason I read this book, and was introduced to Christopher Moore, is because I happen to be strolling by book store with an outside, sale table and Coyote Blue was sitting right on top.

I had never read anything like him before - and never since - and was hooked immediately. Through his words, he creates such perfect pictures of his extremely bizarre characters, their personalities, and the story line that combines them all together.
Danny Foncke
Mar 22, 2015 Danny Foncke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still not ROFLing, but definitely a funny book, smiles all around. After reading Lamb I decided to read the Moore books in chronological (of writing) order. After Practical Demonkeeping (which I found a bit shallow) this is his second book and this certainly has more debt and more content to it.
Modern day fairy tail, love story, 'I need to find myself' psycho drama with elements of Native American mythology - nice.

Be ready to run. And pick that up, I’ll need it.’ He pointed to the ground where
Antof9
Jan 02, 2009 Antof9 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bwa-ha-ha, 2005-read
This book was SO entertaining! The best word I could think of to describe it was "irreverent".

There were many funny parts to this book -- but the quirky little things got me the most -- Sam trying to rhyme "Gabriella", Yiffer's son being named "J. Nigel Yiffworth, Esquire", and the clothing choice Sam makes to go visit the Indian artifacts collector.

I also enjoyed the "indian legend" stories woven throughout the book. They were pretty funny. The story about the Great Spirit giving names out to
Rachel
Nick
Apr 29, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only Moore book I have yet to read is Lamb (which I started this morning) and so far Fool is my favorite, but Coyote Blue is a close 2nd. I would say it's a departure from what you may be used to with Moore, but since it was his second book, I guess that means everything else is a departure from this. Whatever. The fact is, this is a great book filled with big laughs and big opposite of laughs. Sadness?

Being that I'm an ancient deity this book really spoke to me. it encouraged me to embrace
Jul 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely frickin' hilarious. I think I officially love Christopher Moore. I was listening to this book on my iPod while my preschoolers were napping today and I had to shush myself because I started laughing so hard. Coyote the Trickster has been one of my favorite characters ever since I started reading old fables when I was in college. I have never read any of the tales that Mr. Moore used for this book, who knows, maybe he made them up, but I loved how he intermingled the tale ...more
Tracey
Oct 28, 2011 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fan of Christopher Moore, I picked this book up from a local used book store earlier this month & read thru it over the weekend.

Sam Hunter is a slick, shallow insurance salesman whose Native American past is successfully buried... until the Trickster thinks otherwise. Sam's life is quickly turned upside down by Coyote as he is forced to confront his heritage and reach out to another human being. The story is interspersed with Coyote folktales told with a modern twist that always seem to t
Jennifer Cooper
Dec 13, 2008 Jennifer Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of the normal kooky brand of Christopher Moore cleverness-- there's nothing too deep, but plenty of things to giggle about. The book follows Sam Hunter, a Crow indian who ran away to Los Angeles as a teenager to escape his past. He has become a successful insurance salesman, but his life is empty of any purpose greater than closing sales and making money. All this changes when Coyote (the trickster god and spirit guide of his Crow past) brings Calliope (a pretty hippie) into hi ...more
Jaime
Oct 21, 2009 Jaime rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, audio, 2009
I have to admit that despite my love for A Dirty Job, I’m not a big fan of Moore’s earlier works. Not only are some characters reused (which I don’t really have a problem with — nothing wrong with recurring characters!), he uses some of the same stereotypes in every book, it seems. There’s always a mostly-high surfer dude. There’s always a cantankerous (and probably homely) old lady. And of course, the earnest (if sometimes misguided) main character. I think what really rubbed me wrong in this b ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
This book disappointed me. I thought it was rather slow and I found myself not caring about any of the characters. I went into it expecting a fun light and fast read, the kind I was used to by the author, but this, though showing the same kind of humor, didn't quite work for me.
Stephanie
this was a strange little book that I wasn't sure i was going to like when I started it. But in the end I decided I liked it alot!
Lobo
Apr 02, 2015 Lobo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Prérifarkas Blues korai Moore regény, az Ördögöd van! (remélem egyszer azt is gatyába rázza az Agave) után keletkezett, s bár nincs még meg benne a Biff kifinomultsága, kevés benne a hangos kacagásra késztetés, azért nem is olyan őrült és halmozottan erőltetett, mint a Vámpír trilógia néhány epizódja. Moore itt az indiánokkal, az amerikai őslakosokkal packázik, de sikerül elkerülnie a tiszteletlenséget, sőt nagyon is pozitív kicsengést visz az egész kultúrába, hitükbe és modern életükbe. Bár m ...more
J.A. Carter-Winward
Book reviews are so subjective at times. I'm afraid this is one such review. In a different head space I might have really enjoyed Coyote Blue. But so much of the satire felt forced to me and at times missed the mark of "satire" entirely to become just plain silly. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for 'silly,' I don't know.

The book was difficult for me to get through because of the silliness. I realize that when you have a trickster god as a main player, silliness must certainly abound. But there i
Earl Grey Tea
Dec 21, 2011 Earl Grey Tea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I learned about Christopher Moore almost a decade ago, I've enjoyed all the books that he has written.

Coyote Blue isn't my favorite by Moore, but on the second reading of it I seem to enjoy it more than the previous time. As per usually for Moore, there was a nice collection of character with peculiar backgrounds coming together for a goofy adventure.

The usage of Native American folklore as an underlining theme for the book was quite interesting. I feel that my religious studies class
Aries
Sep 16, 2012 Aries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comico, fantastico
Durante il viaggio a Bruxelles mi sono “regalato” la lettura del secondo (in ordine di scrittura) libro di quel genio mai troppo lodato che è Christopher Moore, “Coyote Blue”, tradotto con “Il ritorno del Dio Coyote” (opinabile, ma quanto meno fedele al contenuto del romanzo).

Avendo a disposizione entrambe le versioni ho optato, per pigrizia, per leggere l’adattamento: un piccolo errore di cui parlerò alla fine.

Che dire del romanzo?

Senza dubbio in crescita rispetto a “Practical Demonkeeping”, ha
Meg
Jan 17, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tre stellette e mezzo che arrotondo a quattro, perché... Perché Chris è sempre Chris!

Ho amato moltissimo i personaggi di questi libro, è incredibile come l'autore sia in gradi di creare di volta in volta dei personaggi così diversi tra loro e da quelli dei suoi libri precedenti.

Un'ultima cosa da dire, su "Coyote Blue": E' tutta colpa delle anatre

Leggete il libro e capirete. :D
Carrie
Apr 13, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, funny
I'm on this Christopher Moore kick because they have a bunch of his books on CD at the local library. Coyote Blue wasn't my favorite of his because none of the main characters were incredibly likable. Sampson Hunts Alone is a Crow Indian who has made a life for himself in the white world selling insurance with dubious business tactics. He is visited by Old Man Coyote, a shapeshifting Indian god, who is known as a trickster himself and generally causes a lot of trouble. Then there's the love inte ...more
bookczuk
A Christopher Moore I haven't read! Yahoo!

I enjoyed this book, as I do most Moore novels. He's got the right mix of zaney, bawdy, silly, outrageous, humanity, and mystical to make his books good reads, truly deserving of laughing out loud. Nice to see an early iteration of a character who shows up in several other books as well.

I kept thinking, while reading this, that when I was four, my family went on a cross-country trip. While out in "Indian Country" my parents bought me a book called "Coyo
Marsha
Samuel Hunter has fallen as far away from his American Indian heritage as possible. It’s been necessary; he killed a man back on his reservation and now he can’t go back. But a mythical trickster is about to remind him just who he is and what really matters in life.

Mr. Moore once more displays his protean ability to wriggle into a different culture and uses it to show just what’s so funny about life. Filled with zingy one-liners, a blasphemous attitude towards the Christian God and a trickster w
Amanda
I really like Trickster stories. Partially because my parents read me the Brer Rabbit stories all the time when I was little. Partially because my first job out of college was stage managing an Anansi play at Virginia Stage Company. Partially because I spent years reading Charles de Lint. Partially because I really like animals. So anyway, that being said, my love of trickster stories, plus extremely low expectations when I started reading Coyote Blue made me like this a lot.

I'm sure I have mor
Aaron
Feb 01, 2015 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely my least favorite novel by Christopher Moore to date, though it probably has less to do with the writing than the general story plot. I don't tend to be overly interested in Westerns or stories about cowboys and Indians.

Sam Hunter would seem to have everything a successful guy of the 90's would want: looks, money, an awesome condo, a great job, etc. The only thing that he is missing is a lovely lady on his arm. Well, thanks to his secret Native American past, that is about to
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers for "Coyote Blue" 978-1-4391-9148-4 20 42 Mar 06, 2013 02:34PM
So, about that ending . . . (spoilers) 4 82 Oct 11, 2008 07:26AM
  • Santa and Pete: A Novel of Christmas Present and Past
  • Too Many Curses
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • The Organ Grinders
  • Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere
  • Big Trouble
  • Skin Tight (Mick Stranahan, #1)
  • The Politically Correct Ultimate Storybook: Politically Correct Bedtime Stories, Politically Correct Holiday Stories, Once Upon a More Enlightened Time
  • Smashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed
  • Saints and Sinners: Paint Your Dragon and Open Sesame
  • Navigator

Christopher Moore is an American writer of absurdist fiction. He grew up in Mansfield, OH, and attended Ohio State University and Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, CA.

Moore's novels typically involve conflicted everyman characters suddenly struggling through supernatural or extraordinary circums
More about Christopher Moore...

“Love: the sickest of Irony’s sick jokes. The place where logic and order go to die.” 289 likes
“That's the scary thing about hope," she said. "If you let it go too long it turns into faith.” 60 likes