Start by marking “Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead” as Want to Read:
Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead

Vampire: The Complete Guide to the World of the Undead

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  469 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
This encyclopedic and exquisitely eerie guide is as elegant and menacing as the creature it describes. With nearly 200 photographs and illustrations, this entertaining and erudite collection of myth, folklore, literature and popular culture is seductively priced in its new paperback edition.
Published October 1st 1994 by Studio (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire

Lawrence
Oct 07, 2008 Lawrence rated it it was ok
Disappointingly superficial look at the legend of the vampire. The organization of the book seemed to encourage constant repetition of information. And, the pointless style of writing the text in a manner that suggests there's an uncertainity about myth and reality was quickly irritating. The potential saving grace were the accompanying illustrations - drawings, stills, artful photos. No wonder this one had remained unread for so long on my bookshelf.
Davienne Bejan
Apr 28, 2016 Davienne Bejan rated it liked it
This book was good. Took us through the begins of vampire legends and on through to Dracula and Lord Ruthven. We discuss Vald Dracul and his influence on Bram Stoker while he wrote Dracula. All in all a great book for anyone interested in the origins of vampires.
GONZA
Sep 09, 2014 GONZA rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solo per aficionados e solo perché foto e disegni sono notevoli. Il testo è superficiale e banale.
Kristyn Hammond
Sep 28, 2008 Kristyn Hammond rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Novices and those building a reference shelf.
While the book is filled with unmistakeably remarkable images and quick facts about Vampires and the Undead, it is also exceptionally vague. The book discusses Vampires in the most simplistic terms, never touching on the multitude of unusual or unknown Vampire Myths.

If you're a new comer in your interest for the Undead, and a novice in Vampire myth, this book is exceptional at touching base with all the basics. I recommend it, It's an ample reference. Otherwise, you may wish to spend your time a
Malcolm Forman
Jan 29, 2014 Malcolm Forman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book for fans of the undead
Allison
Mar 11, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vampire fans, goth fans, photography lovers, moody artists, halloween fans
I love this book. It is beautiful (well, that is, if you find misty cemeteries and weeping angel statues beautiful...) and atmospheric. It's the perfect book to browse through in late October to get you in the mood! Vampire is also a nice intro to Vampire Lore and Legend. All the major players are accounted for. I've received many vampire books as gifts but this one is definitely #1.
Angie
Nov 19, 2015 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book isn't inspired, or original. And that's alright. Those thick, glossy pages with all the pictures and artwork make great collaging material.

Honestly, it isn't good for much else. Tries to give an overview of all things vampire. Naturally, given that it covers folklore, history, and pop culture, it only skims the surface of each.
Jeff
Mar 02, 2016 Jeff rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.

1st Read: February 3, 2015 - February 9, 2015

It was just OK for me in the sense that it follows similar books dealing with this same subject matter. I can't really say that I learned anything new about vampires and legends of them. People are always going to buy these types of books. You win some and you lose some.
Kristine
Sep 20, 2010 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This novel is one of my favorites about vampire mythology. It gives the beliefs of many different cultures and time periods concerning vampires, and it goes into wonderful detail. If someone's going to write a vampire novel or series, this book is one of the best refernce books to have.
Professor
Dec 02, 2012 Professor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inthecan

Utterly silly book, which is not an anthropological or folkloric take on the vampire legend, survey of the vampire in fiction, history of vampire beliefs, or "non-fiction" handbook of vampire lore, but a combination of all approaches in an unsatisfactory manner.
Fangirl
Nov 12, 2009 Fangirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
When this book came out 17 years ago, I had to buy it right away. The photographs are beautiful and it contains lots of information about vampires and their legend.
Jami
May 13, 2009 Jami rated it it was ok
Read this one about 12 years ago. Great info, feed my hunger well. I should find a new copy, I would like to read it again.
Amber
Oct 11, 2012 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tidbits on all things Vampy. Everything you need to know from the anatomy of to how to kill one.
Kim Ciniello
Mar 26, 2013 Kim Ciniello rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like a really bad Wiki listing. Still, entertaining to plow through picking out bits of random info.
Nancy
Aug 12, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it

Loved it...easy to read and is a great source of information...
K-tron
intriguing look into the world of the undead
JAMES CALLAHAN
JAMES CALLAHAN marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Jean Maria
Jean Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
camille guerra
camille guerra marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Perla
Perla marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Lo r n a J. Dodge
Lo r n a J. Dodge marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
James
James rated it it was amazing
Betsy Trucott
Betsy Trucott marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
cheapet
cheapet rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Tara Cicora
Tara Cicora rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
  • The Vampire Encyclopedia
  • The Vampire Book
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • Vampires, Wine, and Roses
  • Our Vampires, Ourselves
  • Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England's Vampires
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Dracula, Prince of Many Faces: His Life and His Times
  • Mysterious Creatures (Mysteries of the Unknown)
  • Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore and Reality
  • In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula: A Documentary Journey into Vampire Country and the Dracula Phenomenon
  • Vampire Forensics: Uncovering the Origins of an Enduring Legend
  • Vampire Diary: The Embrace
  • Forests of the Vampires: Slavic Myth (Myth and Mankind)
  • Who Was Dracula?: Bram Stoker's Trail of Blood
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)