Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  27 reviews
It is spring of 1877 when fourteen-year-old Sound of Running Feet, daughter of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce, sees white people panning gold in the little creek that feeds the Wallowa River, and brings word of them to her father.

"They are the first, but more are on the way," he says. "We are few and they are many. They will devour us."

It is Sound of Running Feet who narrat...more
Published October 1st 1993 by Yearling (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thunder Rolling in the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thunder Rolling in the Mountains

Lea
A fast-paced, exciting tale told through the eyes of Chief Joseph's daughter, this book tells of the attempted relocation of the Nez Perce and the subsequent battles that took place between the waning members of the tribe and the "Blue Coats" who pursued them through Idaho and Montana. Included in this story is the event surrounding Chief Joseph's famous and heartbreaking surrender speech. Finished after O'Dell's death by his wife, Elizabeth Hall, this novel is a poignant look at the last days o...more
Gale
THE TRUE LEGACY OF CHIEF JOSEPH

Fifteen-year-old Sound of Running Feet survives incredible hardship--including betrayal by both white men and other tribes in this fictionalized novella. Odell's detailed account of the brutal removal of the Nez Perce from Wallowa, Idaho to Oklahoma proves interesting reading both for students of Native American heritage as well as teenage girls in general.

The reader's understanding of this cruel odyssey is enhanced by the excellent map of this heart-rending Route...more
Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 126 pgs

1877, Wallowa Valley, Oregon / West. Follows The Sound of Running Feet, the daughter of Chief Joseph as her people the Ne-mee-po (Nez Perce) as they are forced from their homeland and fight against being forced onto a reservation.

Includes a lot of historical detail about daily life and the hardships they were forced to endure.
Halie Petersen
Thunder Rolling in the Mountains was pretty good at some points and boring at others. It's easy to read. All in all it was good.
Anita Struyk
Great first nations read aloud novel...read this one to Jonas (Mar. 2014). American first nations: Nee-mee-poo.
Purpledove
Mar 03, 2014 Purpledove marked it as to-read
I haven't read this one but I like Scott o dells books so this is definitely a book for the future
Zachary
Jun 23, 2007 Zachary rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: STUPID PEOPLE!.
This. Was. Bad! I actually never finished it because it was so bad. It upset me because of one sentence. You may think that that is a bad reason to stop, but if you read-
"He grinded heads, but of ears, and watched the blood flow down the rivers," then you would probably stop reading too. So, I can't really tell you what it's about, but I think it is about a girl whose tribe is being forced to go from their homes. IT STINKS! Stay at least 50 feet away from this book. AT ALL TIMES. If you ever th...more
Will
good perspective of indian life
Sara
This was the book that Scott O'Dell's didn't finish because he was writing it until about 2 days before he died at the age of 91 or something like that. I didn't like it as much as some of his others. Although I guess it is in keeping with his simplistic, straight-forward, hide-nothing-from-the-young-readers style. It was an interesting story, but there were some events that didn't really make sense to me at the end.
William
Written by Scott O'Dell and Elizabeth Hall, this book started very interesting, but ended with a very boring writing style and boring ending. I feel that if Scott O'Dell had written the ending, he would have focused a lot more on chief Joseph and his great words to Washington, than his daughter and the tribe that kidnaps her. because of this, I didn't particularly enjoy this book.
Tahleen
Not as good as his others in my opinion, mostly because he co-wrote it with another author. He died before this book was published, and Elizabeth whatever-her-name-is took over for him; you can tell where this happened, as the book gets much more violent and depressing. I was disappointed because I love everything else he's written.
Hang
I think this book is very descriptive. It teaches us a lot of things in the native americans time, but in a very fun, not boring way. It is about the Nez Perce having to move to another camp place because the Americans were trying to drive them out. Some wanted to fight and so they fought in the war.
Ashley
I read this in the 4th grade. I don't remember it at all, perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime and see what I think - and whether I would recommend it to children interested in Native American stories.
Cecelia
Another one of my favorite childhood books. Having Native heritage it was encouraged by my parents to embrace my culture. I still have my original copy from 1992.
Alexis
In the middle of the summer Sound of Running Feet sees white men. They try to drive the Nez Perce out of their home. Read to find out what happens next........
Meredith
School book..... It ended with a sort of satisfying TWANG but, the STUPID epilogue was depressing as all get out. SO GET OUT! That's what I say!!
Ginny Daniels
Used this with our unit on Native Americans. A sad story, but it helped the kids see how we treated the Native Americans.
Bookwyrmgyrl
I love, love, love Scott O'Dell's work! He writes historical fiction and my only wish is that there were even more books by him.
Mairin
It was really good yet really despairing...It was good for kids wanting to learn more about Idaho history of Indians.
Jules Brugel
A power depiction of the plight of the Nez Perce people, this is a good book, but very sad.
Caren
Good inside on what Indians had to through while being forced to move. Bloodshed.
Lapriel
This is a good historical fiction to introduce 3-6 graders to the Nez Perce indians.
Stephanie Bailey
great book, read for battle of the books.
Beth
It was pretty sad. It had a pretty good ending.
Michelle
good but sad, neat Nez Perce story
Kara
One of the best books I ever read!
Carissa
very boring
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Forty Acres and Maybe a Mule
  • Guns for General Washington: A Story of the American Revolution
  • Rocks in His Head
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • George Washington Carver
  • Abraham Lincoln's World
  • Tree in the Trail
  • Who Was First?: Discovering the Americas (Bank Street College of Education Flora Stieglitz Straus Award (Awards))
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • Emily
  • With Lee in Virginia
  • The Captain's Dog: My Journey with the Lewis and Clark Tribe
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
  • Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson
  • Freedom Crossing
  • The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According To Susy)
Scott O'Dell (May 23, 1898 – October 16, 1989) was an American children's author who wrote 26 novels for youngsters, along with three adult novels and four nonfiction books. He was most famously the author of the children's novel Island of the Blue Dolphins (1960), which won the 1961 Newbery Medal as well as a number of other awards. Other award winning books by O'Dell include The King's Fifth (19...more
More about Scott O'Dell...
Island of the Blue Dolphins (Island of the Blue Dolphins #1) Sing Down the Moon The Black Pearl Zia (Island of the Blue Dolphins, #2) Sarah Bishop