Start by marking “Restitution” as Want to Read:
Restitution

Restitution

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Peter Tyler appears to have it all—a loving wife, a powerful job on Wall Street, a sprawling house in the suburbs. But in a moment of weakness, Peter indulges in a one-night stand with a beautiful trader. A few weeks later, his house is broken into and his wife brutally murdered. When the police discover Peter's infidelity, he immediately goes from grieving husband to prim...more
Published July 17th 2007 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Restitution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restitution

Don Sparrow
I read Lee Vance's 2 nd novel "The Garden of Betrayal" in Feb. 2011. I gave it 4 stars. I have finally got around to reading this ,his debut novel and I am also going to rate it at 4 stars. Another financial thriller with more twists and turns than a pretzel pie. An intense gripping novel that doesn't reveal all of the facts until the very end.

I have since found out a little more about the author...it turns out he is a graduate of the Harvard school of business. He is also a retired general part...more
Nov 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a solid financial thriller
Recommended to Jennifer by: Powell's Daily Dose
A well-plotted thriller in the Harlen-Coben-stand-alone vein. Peter Tyler's wife is brutally murdered and he becomes a prime suspect when it is revealed that his marriage had been on the rocks and he was having an affair. Of course, the police don't care that the affair was a one-time lapse of judgment with a fellow financial trader, the sister of his best friend, Andrei.

Peter's search for the real killer leads him back to his best friend and beyond and puts him in the sights of everyone from H...more
Caitlin
I really did enjoy this book. Although the first 3/4 of the book were far better than the end, which is why I took away a star. At the end of this book, I felt similar to how I felt at the end of Dan Brown's Angels and Demons - it all of a sudden got very complex, very detailed and it sort of jumped the shark. That being said, this book was a great read. I was into it from Page 1, and did not put it down until I finished. Although I thought there were some unnecessary plot lines thrown in, they...more
Michael
Not a miserable read but certainly not an enjoyable one either.

The main character, our first person narrator, is an ass. He was a full asshole in the flashbacks but just an ass in present. This mystery had several layers but those layers just felt hallow and some were unnecessary or abrupt. It was truly as if the more unanswered questions solved, the more mystery revealed, the more annoyed I was.

Hard to describe I guess. This is my first tour with this author and I am not thrilled about it.
No...more
itpdx
A fun thriller with lots of twists and turns.

Lee Vance, a former General Partner with Goldman Sachs, has as a main character a manager with an investment bank. It is interesting to speculate how the story would have been different if written from the perspective of a number of the other characters.

This book was published in 2007. Vance has a little Author's Note at the end of the book proclaiming Goldman Sachs as an "ethical...organization".
RIGHT!
Mel Allred
Interestingly enough, even having read the cover page prior to writing this review three years after reading the book, I can't remember it. When I saw the book on my list and the Author 'Lee Vance' it struck a chord so that I thought a quick review of other reviews would restore it to memory, but alas, it was not to be so. As a result I would have to disparage it for it's lack of something that would have made it memorable.
Ray
Some of these murder - mystery novels have so many twists and turns, and unbelievable elements in them, that it's hard to buy into the story line. This book ended up with some of that, but it all snuck up on me and I didn't realize it until the it was over and I thought back on it all. I liked it all the way through, it kept my interest, all the while trying to figure out who the real killer(s) may have been.
John Strohm
It could have been much, much worse. It starts off glorifying Wall Street assholes, but in the end nearly everyone is morally ambiguous and the characters fit better. The plot has several absurd plot twists, most of which don't come out of left field, but they come from another book entirely.

Despite these problems, Restitution is a decent page-turner, perfect for reading on an airplane or at the beach.
Debbie Gatacre
I picked this book out of the discount bin at Chapters thinking ok well I will give it a try. I really didn't expect much. I was surprised how much I liked the suspense of it all. The story was a bit difficult to follow at time with all the stock and lawyer mumbo jumbo but I really enjoyed the thrill of the search for the truth! Every page was something to keep you wanting to read more.
Cheryl Nation
New Author for me, I liked the book.
Peter Tyler is a wall street shaker. His wife has just been murdered and he is a suspect. When police discover nothing of value is stolen from Peters house, they assume this is not just a random robbery gone bad, but a personal hit. Peter is forced to run, so he can unravel the truth to his wife's murder.

Karen Klink
Every once in a while I will pick up a genre book that surprises me with more than I expected. This was one of those books. Intriguing plot, nice writing and good characterization. Best of all, the main character learned about himself, grew, and became a better person by the end. I like a multi-leveled story and will look for another of Vance's books.
Kelly
A friend at school recommended that I read this. Wow, talk about a roller coaster ride for a murder mystery. The "perfect man" has many secrets and the reader is amazed at all that is learned about Peter each time the page is turned! I'm good at guessing the endings of books, but I was surprised by the murderer in this one! This would make a great movie.
Gil
An intricate plot takes you places you never expected. The first-person style is annoying at first but one quickly realizes that it works. Fast-paced, gripping, the ending is especially satisfying, and all the clues are there, buried early. I'm reading it again, slowly this time, to fully appreciate it. One heck of a debut novel.
Stephanie
I liked this book more for its mastery of English - the author was unafraid of using complex words, something that is mostly avoided today. So for that I'm giving the book 4 stars... the mystery was ok, unique idea with the missing Nazi art, but nothing phenomenal.
Chuck
A Wall Street power broker's wife is murdered in their home and, of course, he is the primary suspect. He is fired and then concentrates on finding the real perp. It's a long, tough, winding road. This is Vance's debut. I will look for his next one.
Carol
Language!!! International high powered getting vengence on people who have been hurtful. And it catches some innocent people up and gets them killed and suspicion thrown where it doesn't belong. A little too complex for my simple mind.
Pamela
Maybe I read this book over too long of a time span, but by the end of RESTITUTION, I had no idea what was going on or how the tangled plot lines (art forgeries! a virulent strain of tuberculosis! surly Russians!) came together.
Mary
Vance used to work for Goldman Sachs. This is a fast-pace book. I know I didn't understand some of the stock transactions, but I got the idea of what was happening. I enjoyed the twists. Excellent first novel.
Jessica
The ultimate web of events that comprise the mystery is a bit too intricate and complex to really be plausible, but the final twist is a corker that helps redeem some of the weaker elements.
Brian
A fun, light airport read. Vance puts together some good wall street characters and really gives you a feel for the culture. A scheme in the end that I didn't see coming.
Pmcdnld2
Murder, Wall Street, drug companies and Russian mobsters-what more can you ask for in a mystery? Of course, I was reading this while watching the Red Sox-Tampa Game.
Tracy Burger
Excellent book! Really kept me interested. The only thing I struggled with was some of the technical things as far as bonds and securities, but it was very well done!
Chris
This is a good "who done it?" with lots of twists in the plot. Too bad it's his first book, I'd like to read more- hope he keeps writing
William Hochmuth
Got a little convoluted towards the end. Was hoping it would focus of the Markets aspect more than it did. Good thriller though.
Peg
Surprisingly professional first novel. Good plot twists and believeable characters. Enjoyed it greatly.
Victoria
It was OK I dont really care for the authors style of writing. Over all tho the story was decent.
Eileen
Twists and turns from start to finish. I read 1/2 of the book in one sitting.
Sue Ansell
Very good book with many twists and turns. I will read the next book by Lee Vance.
Tory Wagner
Great book -- good action and suspenseful plot. Main character was easy to identify with!
The Garden of Betrayal