Start by marking “Chase” as Want to Read:
Chase

Chase

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Collecting a cult favorite series from the late 1990s spotlighting the amazing artwork of J.H. Williams III, CHASE stars Agent Cameron Chase. On field assignment for the Department of Extranormal Operations, a government agency with jurisdiction over superhuman activity, she’s looking for a missing boy whose pyrokinetic powers went wild in an Ohio school. But she’s about t...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chase

Dan Schwent
Former P.I. Cameron Chase joins the Department of Extranormal Operations and investigates metahuman activity. But what dark secret is she harboring...

I picked up Chase because Cameron Chase was a supporting cast member of the Manhunter series by Marc Andreyko. Chase has a flavor that's somewhere in between Manhunter and Gotham Central. It almost feels like an ancestor of sorts of both books.

Chase's cases see her interacting with Batman, Clayface, the Suicide Squad, and many others. It's a slice...more
Derrick
Apr 17, 2012 Derrick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Badass Chicks, Lovers of Noir
Cameron Chase is a former private eye turned field agent for the DEO, a shadowy government organization tasked with managing the metahuman threat. This short-lived series from the late 1990's joins Starman and Resurrection Man in bringing a fresh look at the DC Comics superhero genre at a time when over the top silliness reigned.

Cam is a tough detective in the vein of Renee Montoya. (And let's face it, we need more smart, tough chicks in comics.) She has the usual tragic childhood story, but it'...more
Sesana
If you want a mild dose of nostalgia for 90s DCU but don't want to actually read more than a few panels with Superman Blue, Chase is a good option. Feeling very much like the spiritual ancestor of Gotham Central, Chase follows title character Cameron Chase as a DEO field agent. So she's rubbing elbows, however briefly, with a wide cross section of 90s DC characters, including the aforementioned Superman Blue (God, DC) and a version of the Titans lead by Ray Palmer. It... maybe wasn't the best ti...more
Stewart Tame
Very nice! I was never aware of this series when it was being published, which is a shame, because it seems like it met with an untimely demise. Perhaps this book will spark enough interest to revive it. So Cameron Chase is an agent for the Department of Extranormal Operations. Their mandate is to monitor the various heroes and villains of the DC universe, to aid in bringing evildoers to justice, to identify threats before they get out of control, that sort of thing. The secret agent/private eye...more
Joseph
I don't understand why the big comics companies create a new property, only to refuse to let it breathe. Chase could have been interesting -- a large scale, international, big budget version of Gotham Central perhaps, but instead it devolved into nothing more than a tie-in to the rest of the DC universe.

There's potential in Cameron's backstory that's not really taken advantage of. The mysteries of her own superpowers seem to be completely forgotten about halfway through the book. The biggest pro...more
Jacobi
I'm 15 years late to the party, but I'm retroactively bitter that Chase didn't have a longer life. This comic only ran 9 issues (there is also a 1,000,000 issue), but in those 9 issue are the beginnings of a really strong modern comic. I'm thinking this book was a bit ahead of its time, because it really reminded me of books like Alias and Gotham Central.
Wolverina
Excellent art by J H Williams III, weird art in other places.

Great concept with strong stories that get lost as the series goes on. The series is cancelled before there's any resolution sadly. Bit the 'slice of life' style snippets from other series are kinda nice.

Genuinely shocked NOONE recommended this to me when I was raving about Gotham Central. It's not as dark I don't think, but it is a nice sort of precursor.
Colton
Like other reviewers, I ended up leaving this collection a little unsatisfied. There is NO conclusion to the story of Cameron Chase or any attempt to wrap up loose ties. That being said, I loved Johnson's scripting and William's art, especially when it came to some of the more supernatural and fantastical scenes. The inclusion of stories related to the original arc is great--even if they aren't all illustrated by Williams--and helps to give us some more information about the wonderful D.E.O., wh...more
g026r
A giant tome, but at the same time middling in its inclusiveness. The main series is good, but woefully incomplete due to early cancellation, and the stories culled from elsewhere are of varying quality. (Ranging from the dire Batman one that begins the book, to the rather good selection from DCU VIllains Secret Files #1 that really has little to do with Chase.)

Strangely enough, the book still feels incomplete: DCU Heroes Secret Files #1, referenced by name in the aforementioned VIllains story a...more
Matt
We need to get this out of the way first: Williams' art is amazing. Even at this earlier, rougher, pre-Promethea stage, current artists should still be jealous of what he could do back in the day.

That said, the story's still really good! Chase is an interesting character, and it's sad that so little is seen of Johnson's plans with her. There were quite a few things at the very beginning that were set up as fodder for eventual plotlines down the road that the book was never able to get to. But it...more
Michael
An interesting premise and very nice artwork, but the creators didn't develop the series sufficiently in their very brief nine-issue run.
Dana Longley
A mishmash of stories from around the DC universe centering around agent Chase. There are some excellent stories here and great artwork by Williams III, but it's overwhelmed int he end by some bad and just plain confusing or incomplete stories pulled from other titles. Many feel unfinished and a couple of totally out of place far-future bizarre stories jolted me out of the stories completely.
Federiken Masters
Chase tiene una premisa interesante, un desarrollo algo caótico y desprolijo pero bien llevado y un final espantoso, abrupto, que huele a cancelación por todos lados. No puedo dejar de pensar que con un poco más de fe en la serie, podría haber llegado a ser el "Alias" de DC. Pero bueh, al menos sirvió para que JH Williams III comenzara a ganar pulso y chapa.
Jamil
some good ideas that sadly, never really got time to develop & go anywhere.

To my surprise though, the CHASE #100,000 issue is quite a nice slice of science fiction, though it barely relates to the rest of this volume (or to the DC One Million stuff, for that matter).
Myke
Sadly incomplete due to cancellation, a good read non the less but the cancellation of the series just makes you wonder how much farther and how good it could have been,i do agree with the other reviewer- that batman issue that was included at the start was horrendous.
Rosa
I started off really liking this book, the story line sounded great. There were a lot of really interesting individual issues but it feels so unfinished that I ended up only thinking it was okay. What happens with Chase's power?
Shannon Appelcline
The core Chase stories are quite good, with lots of flashbacks, very strong characterization, and a quirky look at the era. The Secret Files stories are nice to have here, but alas don’t offer a very coherent or important story.
Mark Adams
A bit uneven. Being a collection of the entire series it was better at some points than in others. The Artwork was excellent all the way through, though, especially JH Williams's work which is always fantastic.
Brian
A good idea that sputtered out, lost direction, and then bacame just another background character. Did anything ever develop with the "Orphanage" plot?
David
Sort of a X-files look at the DC Universe. Very 90's and a bit dated. I wouldn't recommend it.
Joey Aulisio
Joey Aulisio marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Bernardita Labourdette
Bernardita Labourdette marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Mely
Mely added it
Sep 14, 2014
Bessie
Bessie added it
Aug 20, 2014
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Batman: Snow Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #194 Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #195 Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #196 Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #192