Start by marking “Outnumbered: Incredible Stories of History's Most Surprising Battlefield Upsets” as Want to Read:
Outnumbered: Incredible Stories of History's Most Surprising Battlefield Upsets

Outnumbered: Incredible Stories of History's Most Surprising Battlefield Upsets

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Outnumbered but not Outmatched. How did Hannibal's 55,000 Carthaginians turn the tables on an 80,000-strong force of the ancient world's most efficient military machine, the Roman army? What allowed 6,000 Englishmen to overcome 30,000 French at Agincourt in 1415? Which errors in judgment doomed a Russian army twice as large as its opposing German force at the Battle of Tan ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Fair Winds Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Outnumbered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outnumbered

Jimmie Kepler
Mar 16, 2011 Jimmie Kepler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost everyone loves a story where people prevail against all odds. Cormac O’Brien explores this question as he explains how a military force that is facing a superior force either in numbers or guns shocked the world by winning an upset victory. O'Brien goes beyond the generalship to look at the topography and weather conditions. He looks at the morale and sheer determination and will to win that makes the difference. Mr. O'Brien examines some of the best know battles in all of history as well ...more
Steven Peterson
A nice work examining battles where one side was outnumbered but triumphed.

Examples? Issus: Alexander the Great versus the Persian horde. Badly outnumbered, but triumphant in the end. Or Chancellorsville: Robert E. Lee's seemingly foolish gambe dividing his force a couple different times--only to defeat Joe Hooker's Army of the Potomac. Cannae: Hannibal destroyed Roman forces. Other battles discussed: Agincourt, Carrhae, Rorke's Drift, Tannenberg.

Pretty well written and enough detail to give the
Bruno Di Giandomenico
Wow, a quarter of the book is given to references! I have noticed this right now that I was at 75% of the book! Boy, the indices are really long.
Besides that, though the book is interesting, if a little brief. It contains a series, about ten, of battles quite famous and less famous. You will find most of the famous ones such as Cannae, or the battle of Agincourt, or Rorke's drift where notoriously the winer was severely undermanned and outnumbered.
The descriptions are about 15-2o pages long for
Patrick
Oct 01, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to some great battles in history. The author does a good job not picking sides (for example he doesn't talk bad about the WWI German army just because they lost in the end), but instead just shows the battles for what they were. The author also did a good job of showing the common elements of an upset. Very enjoyable read.
Carolyn Bunkley
May 03, 2011 Carolyn Bunkley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs, history students
Recommended to Carolyn by: my brother
The copy I read belongs to my brother; in fact, I bought it for him after seeing it in the Bargain Books section of That Big Bookstore. He left it on the coffeetable, I picked it up one day to kill a little time while waiting to do something else, and I got pulled right in. This is not a book you have to read in order; you can pick and choose, skip around as much as you want. Each battle is handled separately, so you don't miss anything by starting in the middle.
I knew a little about almost all
Ralph Wark
Sep 23, 2014 Ralph Wark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly Enjoyable

A relatively quick read, like many books on history 30% is bibliography, notes, and an index, O'Brine does a nice job on these battles. Not only does he describe the conflicts, he identifies the main characters, the prevailing philosophies on war, and why the inferior army won. I found this a good page turner, with a comfortable writing style, and truly looked forward to reading it. Of course, it does help to be a fan of military history........
Edwin
Jan 05, 2014 Edwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the past I have read many Military History books. Over the last couple of years I have moved away from this topic. Spotted this book in the clearance section of my local book store and picked it up. Was a good reintroduction to the topic. I understand it was meant to be a very general overview of the battles covered, but I wish a little more detail had been given.
Walter Bengs
Walter Bengs marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Evan
Evan rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Jittle
Jittle marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Cheyenne Sky
Cheyenne Sky marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Lyg
Lyg marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Steve Pfiester
Steve Pfiester rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Kb
Kb marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Eric Williams
Eric Williams rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Isaac Steinbach
Isaac Steinbach rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Lawrence
Lawrence rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Jon Mooney
Jon Mooney rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Skip Stead
Skip Stead marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
William Wright
William Wright rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
James J Debenedetto
James J Debenedetto rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Tyler Deren
Tyler Deren rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015