Start by marking “Better Than Friends” as Want to Read:
Better Than Friends

Better Than Friends (Hammer #11.5)

Hank and Jason have been best friends since before Hank even came out of the closet. They're both busy, but they're each other's go-to guy when they need to unwind, and relax. At least, that's what they think.

When Hank finally fulfills a secret dream and rounds up the money to join the Hammer Club, the first person he meets is a sexy, slinky, bratty bottom named… Jason? Th
Published (first published August 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Better Than Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Than Friends

Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
303rd out of 685 books — 1,007 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeBear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneThe Locker Room by Amy LaneDivide & Conquer by Abigail RouxBetween Sinners and Saints by Marie Sexton
Best M/M Romance Published in 2011
314th out of 506 books — 1,022 voters

More lists with this book...

Vivian
May 23, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it
Short spanko book featuring best friends who seemed to have been missing a teeny, tiny bit of information about each other for years. Surprise! And after the initial response to do a runner, they find out that this final piece is the one that's been missing from their puzzle all along. The usual neediness and validation is included.

Wham. Bam. Thank you, sir.
Serena Yates
Aug 28, 2011 Serena Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
This story fits right into the “Hammer” series, even though it has a slightly different slant than usual in this loosely connected series. The two main characters have known each other for years when they discover that they’re both into the D/s lifestyle. I loved how the background of a deep and lasting friendship added to the character and fabric of the story. It made the plot more complex due to the emotions that suddenly crop up as well as the tension between a Dom and his new sub.

Hank is a D
Tam
Aug 31, 2011 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m

The blurb pretty much sets up the premise of this story. Hank is thrilled to be a member of the Hammer Club and is ready to enjoy his first evening when he hears a bratty potty mouth sub approach. He recognizes the voice, and when he turns, they are both stunned. He’s faced with his best friend in the world, a sub at a BDSM club. He was clueless that Jason was into the lifestyle, as was Jason. Jason tries to make a run for it, but Hank stops him and insists they have dinner.

Jason is in
Jj Nightsong
Sep 11, 2011 Jj Nightsong rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, bdsm
Cover - I'm fond of the covers for the Hammer books. In this case, the Rolodex (do people still use those?) represents the business world the characters come from.

MC's - Hank, a Dom, and Jason, a sub. Been best friends forever. POV alternates, 3rd person.

Both work in the corporate world, but not at the same company (if I recall correctly). Jason sounds like a commanding figure in the business world, but at the club he wears silk shirts and looks for Doms who can handle him. He's a bossy sub. Ha
Jimmy Hanson
Aug 27, 2011 Jimmy Hanson rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, 2011
Some of the Hammer novels are H-O-T and some of them are just ... meh.
I kind of felt like this was the second kind. There isn't anything particularly individual about either character and every time the connection that they have at work and in their RL is brought up, just when it starts getting interesting in that way, suddenly it's blocked out and overdone with schmex.
Now don't get me wrong - I read Sean Michael and the Hammer novels pretty much only for that reason because really? There's nev
Pam
Aug 28, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it
A good addition to the Hammer family of books, and I think the premise of two old friends who suddenly discover they're both involved in the BDSM lifestyle is why it's so appealing. Having Hank and Jason be so comfortable with each other allowed the author to show a different side of a Dom/sub relationship because they knew each other so well. I loved the fun, bantering conversation and the obvious importance each felt toward their long friendship...and how much they didn't want that to change.

T
Ruby
Oct 08, 2011 Ruby rated it liked it
I've only read one of the other Hammer books but that doesn't seem to matter, as this stands on its own well enough. Really there's not much more than three hot (if somewhat similar) sex scenes, with some dialogue between where the two friends try to figure out how to fit this new knowledge of each other into their friendship. I'd have liked to see more of their interaction outside the sex, but that's not really what Sean Michael's books are about, is it?

If you like spanking scenes, bratty subs,
My Dichotomy Life
Reading this 'old friend' again, it's almost two years done I last read the story of best friends Jase and Hank getting together when Hank signs up to join the Hammer, where Jane is a well known pushy, bratty bottom.

These two are great friends and are very excited when they realise that they share the same kink.

I love this short story from Sean Michael.
Wendy Ann
A fun little addition to the Hammer series! I enjoyed the surprise of two friends finding out that they are both into D/s by accidentally hooking up at the Hammer club. Bratty Jason and determined Dom Hank were a great match for each other. I would have loved to see Hank force Jason to take a ball gag – he had quite the naughty mouth! :)
Mountie
Aug 27, 2011 Mountie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hammer fiends & lovers of Best Friends Become Lovers plus kink.
Shelves: bdsm, m-m, contemporary
Newest release in the Hammer series and definitely well worth the read. Interesting premise; two best friends, neither knowing each other was into the lifestyle, till meeting one night at The Hammer after Hank became a member. And Jason just became the luckiest sub in the club.

This one really worked for me.
Becky Condit
Sep 02, 2011 Becky Condit rated it really liked it
Rated 4 1/2 stars.

Blackravens Reviews
Sep 23, 2011 Blackravens Reviews rated it really liked it
4.5 Ravens. Better Than Friends is my favorite Hammer story from Sean Michael’s extensive series. It’s actually sweet, which is not characteristic of most books about the infamous BDSM club. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Aidee Ladnier
Jul 06, 2012 Aidee Ladnier rated it really liked it
Sean Michael is wonderful at writing BDSM. I truly loved the idea of best friends meeting in a new setting and seeing each other in a new light. This is definitely worth the read.
Katy Beth Mckee
Nov 01, 2012 Katy Beth Mckee rated it really liked it
Shelves: series-books, erotic, bdsm, m-m
It was fun to see the development of a relationship from friends who had no idea what the other one shared similar interests.
Michelle Pfeiffer-dotson
Michelle Pfeiffer-dotson rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2011
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
E
E rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
MiaJ
MiaJ rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Wen_120
Wen_120 rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
Marejda
Marejda rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Kitten Blue
Kitten Blue rated it did not like it
Dec 15, 2014
Sarah Lafranzo
Sarah Lafranzo rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
Leslee
Leslee rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Melissa Bennett
Melissa Bennett rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2013
  • For The Attention Of (Pushing the Envelope, #1)
  • Word on a Wing
  • Too Much Christmas Spirit
  • Needing You
  • Ratchet (Deviations, #2.5)
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)
  • Pet Rescue
  • Hard and Fast
  • Apartment 1209
  • Smartass
  • Dirty Drag 2: The Night Drags On
  • Need You Tonight (Blue Ruin, #4)
  • Bound: Forget Me Knot
  • Out of the Fire
  • The Perfect Sub
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • Be My Boy
Often referred to as "Space Cowboy" and "Gangsta of Love" while still striving for the moniker of "Maurice," Sean Michael spends his days surfing, smutting, organizing his immense gourd collection and fantasizing about one day retiring on a small secluded island peopled entirely by horseshoe crabs. While collecting vast amounts of vintage gay pulp novels and mood rings, Sean whiles away the hours ...more
More about Sean Michael...

Hammer (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Bent (Hammer, #1)
  • Brownies (A Hammer Story)
  • Drawn (Hammer, #2)