Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream

Game on: Find Your Purpose--Pursue Your Dream

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all-time leading rusher of the Dallas Cowboys, "Dancing with the Stars" champion, and successful real-estate investor, outlines the principles that helped him become a winner on and off the football field. In this book he encourages you to live your God-given dream, now. Emmitt reveals that it's not only vision and talent that propel us toward our d...more
Published August 25th 2011 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published August 19th 2011)

Cindy Winder delong
Elizabeth
Though I am not a fan of sports and usually don’t read books written by sports professionals, I read Game On by Emmitt Smith and was surprised by the faith of the author. So often today many sports professionals are not the best role models, however, Emmitt Smith seems like a man who really loves God and his family. I also appreciated his sense of humor and found myself chuckling several times throughout my reading of his book. I found his story to be an inspiration because even when he thought...more
Rebecca
I found this memoir a bit difficult to read. I don’t follow football, so the amount of sports talk in the book seemed too high for me, though I understand that it’s very important to the author, who spent 15 years in the NFL!

I was also thrown off in the beginning of the book by Smith’s lack of talk about God. He encouraged his reader to follow his/her dreams and showed how he had done the same, but I felt he should have focused more on God’s work in his life and less on his own actions and deter...more
Jackie
Title of Book: Game On: Find your purpose – Pursue Your Dream
Author: Emmitt Smith, lives with his wife, Pat, are generous philanthropists in the Dallas area.
ISBN Number: 978-1-4143-4981-7
Price: $24.99
Hard copy
5 Out of 5 points
Headline for Book Review: Pro Football Player Emmitt Smith
Quote: “The question is, are you willing to do whatever it takes to become...more
Angel
I have always been a great Emmet Smith Fan. I thought he was a great football player, it took immense courage for him to be the first "jock" on Dancing with the stars. He always seemed to be an all around nice guy. His book proves all of this to be true.

When the world was pulling for Joe Montana, I thought Emmett was my favorite. Joe may have been a great player, But Emmett played Great.

Written from a Christian Perspective he starts in the first chapter giving us ten points to succeed. these a...more
Cindy
"Game On"; a fitting title to this almost autobiographical life story of Emmitt Smith, written in his own words. He shares with us his roots; growing up in a low income family in Pensacola Florida, to becoming a Dallas Cowboy professional football player and Hall of Fame member.
From his young beginnings, Smith has shown that strength in family and a connection to God have been his upbringing. Respecting his elders has proven to be an asset to Smith as well.
This is one man, who has shown in his s...more
Andrew
In Game On, Emmitt Smith described the steps and process he took to accomplish his dreams. He had visions and goals he wanted to reach in life. Smith was a popular football player in the NFL. He has won multiple awards throughout his football career. He has appeared on Dancing with the Stars with dance partner, Cheryl Burke and they won the Championship. He had a dream to beat the NFL rushing record. He made goals to make that dream happen. He eventually accomplished his dream by running 18,355...more
Caleb Butler
My book review is on Emmitt Smith’s autobiography, “Game On” Find Your Purpose-Pursue Your Dream. The theme of the book was to set goals, work up to those goals, and then go for your dreams. Emmitt Smith went on to set goals for himself even after his football career. Emmitt Smith wrote this book to inspire people, to achieve their dreams. He has outlined a ten step summary to achieve them. The first step is envisioning a dream and dream past that. The second is turning your dreams into goals. S...more
Josh
Mar 05, 2013 Josh added it
The purpose of this book is to motivate the reader. The author (emmitt smith) is trying to tell the reader that anything can be accomplished through dedication,hard work and sacrifice.The theme of this book is it doesn't matter where you come from, you could come from a wealthy powerful family or a poor not so well family. But you can accomplish the same goal as the wealthy person as long as you are dedicated and make sacrifices to achieve that goal. This book is a description on how emmitt had...more
Rhonda
Motivational book by Football great Emmitt Smith.
He really did a good job with this book, while throwing in his achievements...good advice for those who will follow his leading...

Favorite Quotes:

"If you put your heart into it as well as your mind and body, I believe you will have a championship-caliber life.
Step 1. Envision what you want, and then dream of the best possible life.
Step 2. Turn your dreams into goals, and pursue your highest possible purpose as defined by God's gifts within you.
St...more
Rich
I honestly bounced back and forth between 3 and 4 stars. The content of the book is good and I found that Emmitt Smith is a very likable man. I almost brought down to 3 stars because the book was longer than it needed to be. Quite a few chapters were much longer than necessary, in my humble opinion.

With that said, Mr. Smith sets out a very interesting vision to live by. He has obviously had success in several areas in his life, and he is worth listening to.

The book is decidedly Christian in char...more
Christian Jones-solis
Ultimately the story of Emmit Smith's success is a story about the power one poses when he puts everything he has into a dream, working for it instead of just sitting around waiting for it to happen. It all adds up to a tail of working hard for what you want, something that is not valued in modern society. Game on tells that story very well, showing us that anything is possible if you put all your effort into it.

I would recommend this book because it shows us that we can do anything, and that al...more
Linda
Expected more about his life and found myself skipping over the numerous biblical quotes and references to god.
Kristin
Aside from him being an extremely talented football player, he has a very strong sense of his relationship with God. Sometimes he gets too preachy, but I think if you're a fan of his it's a good book for insight into his persona. What a happy guy! Definitely learned a few things about setting goals, and to read how things worked for him in reaching his goals was inspiring. If you can't get past people and their religions, I would strongly suggest you don't read this.
Fred
Fantastic book on planning how to succeed, including a particularly good section on dealing with your fears and apprehensions.
Mike Harbert
Emmitt Smith combines a brief autobiography with a motivational talk and his personal testimony. Overall, I really liked this book, both from a football standpoint and as a self-improvement / guide for life book. Worth the read if you are an NFL fan from the early 1990s as well as someone interested in studying self-improvement, goal setting, or just looking for a different perspective on success. Something for everyone at any stage of life.
Hikerdee
This ebook was free when I downloaded it to my Nook.

I could easily give this book a 2-star rating for its simplistic style and repetition of advice that Emmitt Smith was given by his grandparents, his parents, his pastors, and his mentors. It gets 4-stars for it is still good advice and I can recommend this to friends.

I recommend it to any reader who can read it with an open mind and an open heart.
Travis
This is a very motivational book, and for those football lovers it is also good. I always new Emmitt Smith was a great guy, but this just confirmed it in my mind. I also new that Emmitt was very involved in the community with his charity programs, but it is nice to hear what he is actually doing. In short Great Book.
Tom Park
I was impressed with Emmitt's Christian message, but not at all impressed with the repetition throughout the book. He could have pared it down considerably and still gotten the same message across to his readers.
Susan
I really enjoyed this book. Very inspiring. A bit disjointed, but lots of good stories used to illustrate the overall theme of setting goals to follow your dreams, all with the guidance of God. Good stuff.
Linda Cuttone
Who isn't a fan of Emmit? He is a star athlete, great dancer, beautiful smile and a Florida Gator. This book was interesting and very motivating. A must for any high school athlete or fan of the game.
Kevin
A good read. Lots of stories from Emmitts past. Does get a little repetitive at times, but the point gets driven home
Heather Jackson
One of the best autobiographies I've ever read. Emmitt's accounts are both humble and inspirational.
Diane
The last few chapters felt like preaching volunteerism, but I enjoyed it overall.
Chris Teskey
Chris Teskey marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Emmitt Smith is best known as NFL's all-time leading rusher of the Dallas Cowboys, 2010 Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, and Dancing with the Stars champion. Emmitt is also a successful real estate developer, and he appeared in early 2010 on NBC's reality series, Who Do You Think You Are? In addition, Emmitt and his wife, Pat, are generous philanthropists in the Dallas area.
More about Emmitt Smith...
The Emmitt Zone