Start by marking “Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)” as Want to Read:
Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)

Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath #6)

Jame is one of the last of the Kencyrath line, born to battle a world-destroying Lord of Darkness and resuscitate her ancestral heritage. Jame's youth was spent hard and low in a desert wasteland. Now she has discovered her past and her heritage as Highborn—and, with it, the power to call souls out of their bodies and slay the occasional god or two (as well as to resurrect ...more
ebook, e-Advance Reader's Copy, not proofed yet
Published August 22nd 2011 by Baen Books

To ask other readers questions about Honor's Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor's Paradox

Sep 15, 2011 Cait rated it it was amazing
(I have the ARC!!!)

Still working up to an actual review, but two quick points:

1. YAY.

Okay, wait, two points besides that. So, three points.

2. This feels more like the second half of the previous book than its own novel -- which is good, in a way, because the previous book really needed a second half, but it's not an entirely encouraging trend for future books.

3. Seriously, WTF with the cover art. Does anyone remember book 1, when Jame was mistaken for a boy while topless? Where the hell is this
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This was a very satisfying read. The story brings to a close Jame's time at Tentir college and concludes a chapter in her complex entanglement with the Merikit people. I really enjoy the various chaotic disturbances that Jame always finds herself in the middle of. I particularly enjoy watching her confound everyone, not only with her astonishing array of skills, but with her ability to build relationships out of apparently nothing. She is a wonderful character.
I am looking forwa
Jan 10, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the last book, I said: " wraps up the Tentir storylines and advances the series arcs.... We have strong hints that Jame will be off to the north in the next story." Turns out I was *completely wrong*. All of that applies to *this* book. (Except south, not north.) So, no points for pacing. It remains true that "Jame hits Tentir" works better as a single (enormous) novel than as three, and it might have been better if it were edited that way, too. As it stands, it feels like a quarter of t ...more
Aug 14, 2014 Indrani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to be honest: God Stalk will always be the best of the series to me. The intricacy of the world presented, the deep history of the Kencyrath, the mythology created, and the philosophical questions posed have not been matched by Hodgell since.

That said, this one certainly stands up to books 3-5. It's a fast-paced story that takes you on a fair bit of a ride, and still leaves the reader interested to see what comes next.

My one quibble is something I usually do not comment on: the cover. I d
Jul 22, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can it be? I think this is actually the first time I've read this one. I was amazed and delighted. How Ms. Hodgell can keep such continuity and energy in a series that was started at least twenty-five years ago shows true mastery of her craft. Through the six books I have just read in order, not once did I notice a thread dropped or turned wrong. Even while I'm wishing something nice would happen to my favorite, Jame, I recognize every instance of calamity remains true to her nature. I love seei ...more
Patrick Burgess
Dec 20, 2011 Patrick Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite writers. Original, dark, deep, and addictive, read it to experience it is all I gotta say.
Stacy Vpactionranger
Jame's story continues. As usual, the imagery and character development were amazing. If I had any gripe, it's that the author seems to be getting into a pattern of presenting an obstacle, and Jame overcomes it. I get that this is how stories work, but it seemed a little more compartmentalized than the others, and a character who can do no wrong is at risk of becoming a boring character. But there's still a lot of big story arcs that are headed somewhere- where is not really clear, and that's fa ...more
Althea Ann
Oops - I missed one!
I got this through interlibrary loan, and thought it was #5 - but it's #6. However, I didn't actually notice that I missed one until I was done. (Yes, there were a few mystifying bits - but Hodgell's writing tends toward those.) Jame is still a randon cadet, establishing her leadership and demanding respect in a difficult situation. I actually thought this one flowed a lot more smoothly than 'To Ride a Rathorn.'

The main theme here is the one referred to in the title: is it m
Sep 01, 2011 Estara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy author
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Rena McGee
Jul 21, 2013 Rena McGee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Honor’s Paradox, Jame completes her training at Tentir despite continuing attempts by other houses to get her kicked out. The general operation of the plot tends to revolve around Jame being a catalyst of sorts for correcting problems that she comes across. (This could be said to be the case for all of the books, but in this case, the beneficial results outweigh the usual negative and catastrophic ones.) Various secrets are revealed, Tori shows a lot of progress in learning to accept Shanir i ...more
Feb 16, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My biggest problem with the series is that it's come to a screeching halt ever since Tentir. The pace of events seems to have just stopped dead and while we can see where the series is heading it feels like it's going to take forever to get there. This is book 6 of a series started in 1982. I enjoy the series, setting and characters but I would really like some kind of conclusion one day. At the very least I want out of this soldier academy arc because it's boring as anything. We all know she'll ...more
Dec 12, 2011 kvon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems a good and a bad thing that Ms Hodgell continues on at her glacial pace. I really enjoy this world and like seeing more stories in it; but I also wish that there would be some more resolution to the ongoing plots. I hope she has an idea of where we are going. In the meantime, this book spends much time in my second favorite place in her world, the war college. I guess I like montage scenes of people learning to trust each other and fight together. Another half year passes, Tori and Kind ...more
Oof. Finally the end of the Tentir arc (or so I call it in my head) and it was a fantastic ride. Lots of intrigue, fighting, scuffles, and, well, everything that makes this world its own. The characters are as delightful as ever, and it makes me really happy to see Tori finally begin to accept some of the things that he has been ignoring for so long. And talking! Talking! I can't wait until that actually happens in the next book, haha.

I'm not sure what else to say, other than a gush of happiness
Jun 11, 2012 N. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another enjoyable Jamethiel book, but I wish the story had left Tentir behind already.

And this is minor in the way of things, but I hate -hate hate hate- the cover art Baen had done for these books. It doesn't encapsulate the series well at all, and I actually feel a little alienated by it. If I were new to the series, I wouldn't have picked up this book.

Honestly I would rather have her run around on the cover naked, since that would at least be in character for her. It would be awesome if she c
Alia D.
Nov 06, 2014 Alia D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
Continuing the saga that began in God stalker Chronicles, Honor’s Paradox explores the tension between traditions and truth, between expectations and actual experience, between keeping promises and doing right. Jame navigates unfair instructors, duels, and doubting supporters to complete her training while also fending off disasters that the rest of her people can’t conceive of. This epic fantasy novel is a great read that makes your blood pound with can’t-put-it-down excitement on a first read ...more
Maurynne  Maxwell
Jan 03, 2012 Maurynne Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Bound in Blood and this one in the last couple of days. Hodgell's opus is remarkable world-building, like Gormenghast and Dune, and now that Tor has picked up the series, I think the readability is increasing. Some readers may not appreciate the complexity, but like Peake and Herbert, oops, forgot Silverberg's Majipoor, this is really an attempt at a truly alien world, psychology, world that does not fit into a standard fantasy or sci-fi mold. And unlike them, we have a female lead. alway ...more
Feb 10, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Jame continues to survive assassination attempts at Knight School, and to hobnob with various gods and magical creatures. I'm a big fan of GODSTALK, but all of the sequels have been so full of references to past events and name dropping (the cast has swollen exponentially with each successive volume, and many of the characters sport pet names to boot) that I've been unable to keep track of who's who or what happened when. Enjoyable, but more of a slice of life than an episode that significantly ...more
Sep 28, 2014 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual review later. Gush of YAY now.

Alright, so I wasn't convinced by that episode with Kindrie and the Randir (too easy). And the climactic battle between Jame and the Caineron was a bit of an anticlimax.

But the Merikit culture was cool and so was the subplot with Bear and the Commandant. And the end scene makes everything okay!!! OMG, FINALLY, progress on this front!!!!! Where's the rest of it? Do I have to wait a whole 'nother year for it? Augh!!! *breaks down sobbing*
Verity Brown
Apr 15, 2013 Verity Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book of Jame's adventures at Tentir, and while it was really enjoyable, I can't help hoping that it's the last. As always, lots of awesome here. But for Jame, Tentir is as restrictive, in its own way, as the Women's World. I'd like to see Jame go somewhere else and progress in different ways. I'd also like to see more of Kindrie. Most of all, I'd like to see Tori move further toward having to accept his destiny, if only by experiencing his Shanir powers in a way he can't deny.
Christoffer Lernö
A solid sequel.
Samuel Lubell
Oct 02, 2012 Samuel Lubell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I was disappointed by this book. I really liked the earlier books in the series, but this one seemed a muddle of unfinished plotlines from previous books. It really didn't come into its own until the climax when Jame duels with sweveral students at once. I'm glad she finally graduated from the training academy. It was fun in To Ride a Rathorn and even in Bound in Blood, but this is one book too many. It's time for her to resume following her destiny.
Feb 19, 2012 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time getting back into the character and the story and it does really just drop you right in. It seemed a bit disjointed in places, like there were too many little stories all mixed together that never really seemed to really go anywhere. Still overall I enjoyed revisiting Jame and her adventures, and assume there is more to come.
I am not remotely objective about this series. I love it so.

That said, this is really the second half of Bound in Blood; they make a full book together.
Karen Tompert
Jan 02, 2012 Karen Tompert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author doesn't seem to be moving the story along much in this book. I think the last 2 books could have been combined. I suppose it's possible I am just impatient for more! Of course having started this series over 25 years ago I think that's understandable.
Jan 12, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I have read the other books in this series. I think had I reviewed them, I would have enjoyed this book more. There are many characters and courtly intrigues that I did not remember all of them. A satisfying book for the series.
Feb 11, 2012 Lorena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a rich and dense novel, sixth in a series that I've been reading since the 1980s. It's a series that has been well worth the wait (and the author is retired from her academic career now, which means they are coming out faster!). More later...
L. E. Talbert
Mar 20, 2013 L. E. Talbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't get over this Author's fantastic world building. Even after the years of hiatus I'm still sucked into these books. Although the first book in the series is still my favorite.
Jan 17, 2015 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-fantastic
best kencyrath book since godstalk, very satisfying to finally see some things resolved. i'm hoping this means the author has hit her stride.
Jan 02, 2012 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continues several plot threads but not her best.
Oct 12, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Love it.
  • Reign of Beasts (Creature Court, #3)
  • Necessity's Child  (Liaden Universe #16)
  • Voidfarer: A Tale of the Moonworlds Saga
  • Elfhome (Elfhome, #3)
  • The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura #2)
  • Midnight and Moonshine
  • The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)
  • For Love Alone
  • The Serpent (Atlan, #1)
  • I Hear Voices (The Dragos Clan, #1)
  • Petrodor (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #2)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel
  • Wicked City (Zephyr Hollis, #2)
  • The Finno-Ugrian Vampire
  • Ghost, Interrupted
  • The Color of Vengeance (The Ties That Bind, #2)
  • Once a Princess  (Sasharia en Garde!, #1)

Kencyrath (7 books)
  • God Stalk (Kencyrath, #1)
  • Dark of the Moon (Kencyrath, #2)
  • Seeker's Mask (Kencyrath, #3)
  • To Ride a Rathorn (Kencyrath, #4)
  • Bound in Blood (Kencyrath, #5)
  • The Sea of Time (Kencyrath, #7)