Start by marking “Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)” as Want to Read:
Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)

Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #7)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  17,583 Ratings  ·  558 Reviews
Length: 11 hrs and 40 mins

On opposing sides, Captain Cordelia Naismith and Admiral Lord Aral Vorkosigan marry and live in aristocratic splendor on his home planet Barrayar. Cordelia agrees with the dying old emperor that the Empire would be better if Aral would serve, but he knows secrets she does not.
Audible Audio
Published December 9th 2009 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Barrayar, please sign up.

Randy Well, if defined as meaning "the characters are flying about in space" - maybe only a quarter. But by a broader definition, I think you could say it…moreWell, if defined as meaning "the characters are flying about in space" - maybe only a quarter. But by a broader definition, I think you could say it all is.(less)

Apr 20, 2011 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
many thanks to eh and elizabeth etc, because i would never never never have read a book with a cover like this, but i did it for youse, and it has been wonderful, really.

but so if i am understanding this correctly (and i hope that i am not) ms. bujold created one of the most interesting and likable-while-still-being-flawed characters ever and then abandoned her to write books about this character's son?? and all the rest are about him??

so lame.

because i loved this book. i love cordelia. i love
mark monday
Barrayar continues and completes the story of former survey ship captain Cordelia Naismith and her husband Aral Vorkosigan, Regent of Barrayar. it is pretty enjoyable. is Bujold becoming one of my favorite scifi authors? i'm surprised at that realization. her style is not particularly striking, often rather plain and unadorned. i don't usually gravitate to those sorts of writers - the straightforward ones. but her themes, her careful way with characterization, her undramatic recognition of the c ...more
“I am afraid.” So simply opens Barrayar with Cordelia words. It takes places immediately after the events of Shards of Honor and starts out with low-key family strife that sets the tone along with political developments. All the time, Lois McMaster Bujold’s character build up takes center stage. All in all, it is much more than the science-fiction tag that describes it.
“My home is not a place, it is people.”
The beginning might be slow though not less significant, and it is preparing for what i

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Dec 27, 2015 Conor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping around a bit in reading book 7 after book 1 in this series but it worked pretty well. This book started out brilliantly with some understated (well as understated as assassination attempts and high risk experimental surgeries can be) family turmoil, politics and character development taking center stage. While it wasn't particularly dramatic Bujold's masterful writing of interesting, nuanced characters kept me engaged. However about half-way through the focus turned into an isolated trek ...more
Sep 24, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Znaci wow. Odlicna knjiga, mnogo bolja nego ocekivano. Mnogo bolja nego prethodna. Prica kao prica je dobta mada nista posebno ali zato likovi i nacin na koji su prezentovani je savrsen. Drze paznju, dobri da za njih navijas, losi da ih mrzis. Isto tako niko nije savrsen, dobri prave greske, nekada i glupe, losi momci i nisu tolko losi kolko su vodjeni drugom ideologijom i kulturom u kojoj su odrasli. Nije sve suvese crno/belo ima i sivog.

Nacin pisanja je takav da me,a dosade, prica te stalno vu
Althea Ann
Dec 29, 2015 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The chronological sequel to 'Shards of Honor' follows Cordelia Naismith as she defects from Beta, in order to make her way to Barrayar and find her former captor Aral Vorkosigan - a man she has come to love and respect.

It's not incomprehensible that her Betan psychologists assume that she must be suffering from something like Stockholm syndrome, or some more insidious mental conditioning. The suspicion cast on her means that even though the war between Beta and Barrayar is technically over, Cord
Oct 22, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
Wow! Absolutely wonderful as an audio book & the story was much tighter than the previous one.More great history & expanding internal politics of Barrayar. A lot of tough decisions & some remarkable adventure. There are also some shining moments, especially by Cordelia.

Two of the things I loved; Cordelia goes off & completes her own adventure much to Aral's dismay & delight. He tells her not to do that to him again. She simply tells him to make sure she doesn't have to again
Sarah Anne
Oct 19, 2016 Sarah Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These characters are so wonderful that I'm regretting not buying every single book in the series when that Audible sale was happening a few days ago. Sigh.

One of the things that I appreciated about this book was the way that it dealt with pregnancy, birth, and motherhood. It was a small part of the book but I like that it was in there at all. It's just not something I've run across often. There was quite a bit of danger and some heart pounding situations, and then there's Cordelia herself. She's
Caro M.
Mar 21, 2016 Caro M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s-f, 2016-reads
I'm reading it in order the author herself suggested, so after nr 1 comes nr 7, instead of nr 2. Barrayar is a sequel to Shards of Honor and a prequel to Warrior's Apprentice.

Cordelia Naismith becomes Cordelia Vorkosigan and as a Vor lady she must play by new rules of Vor's class (you can call it military junta, you can call it samurai, depends on your feelings for army) and get used to life on Barrayar. She observes and faces sexism, radical conservatism and social intolerance. It all pisses he
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4.5/5; 4 stars; A

I first read this book 7 or 8 years ago and couldn't remember all the details. I'm glad I re-visited it. Cordelia is one of my favorite heroines. She is smart, courageous, snarky, and kind hearted. (view spoiler)

This book has political intrigue
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I started reading the Vorkosigan Saga in chronological order (rather then publication order) with the first "Miles" story, The Warrior's Apprentice. I have gooten around to focusing on the first two books in the Saga and I must say that I really liked this one. I have always been a fan of Miles' mother, Cordelia, and she really shines in this story.

Opening right after the events in Shards of Honour (which I still need to read), Cordelia, who has recently married Aral Vorkosiga
David Sven
Dec 07, 2012 David Sven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Barrayar is the sequel to Shards of Honour. As much as I enjoyed the first book, Barrayar is noticeably more polished.

There are no space battles this time round, but the political intrigue is really ramped up in the first half of the book as Aral and Cordelia Vorkosigan find themselves in the role of Regent of the Barrayan empire and protectors of the child emperor Gregor. The death of the former Emperor Ezar leaves a power vacuum that threatens to tear the planet as well as the new Vorkosigan
Ben Babcock
Immediately after finishing Shards of Honour , I jumped into Barrayar with gusto. I’d say this is the payoff to Shards of Honour, but that might give you the wrong idea. Both novels are good—but this is where it gets really interesting. Cordelia has married Aral Vorkosigan and left everything she knows behind to live with him on Barrayar, capital planet of the interstellar empire of the same name. Things are complicated: she’s pregnant and has very progressive ideas about raising kids; Aral get ...more
Dec 28, 2014 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars — it's even better on the second go-round. Chronologically, book two in this nicely-paced, militaristic space opera / romance, set centuries in the future on planets peopled by various descendants of Earth (two planets are Barrayar and Beta). I liked this book more than Shards of Honour. In sum, Cordelia and Aral Vorkosigan take no prisoners, protecting their marriage, their unborn son, and the empire.

Plot, major spoilers hidden: At the end of book one, Cordelia and Aral married. Now,
Jan 06, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mar 11, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I had read Shards of Honor for a book club discussion (and enjoyed it immensely), Barrayar was something I wanted to read of my own volition. It wasn't up for discussion, even if we did toss out a few tidbits here and there, but I really wanted to see how the story of Cordelia and Aral progressed.

Barrayar was written later on in Bujold's writing career, even though it's a direct sequel to Shards of Honor, and the jump in quality is immediately apparent. This is, in every way, a superior no
Ninety-two must have been a bad year in scifi-- or else, ninety-one was an especially good one because I think I might have chosen Shards of Honor over Barrayar for the Hugo. Granted, Barrayar was more sprawling and ambitious -a coup in the palace!- but Shards had more emotional appeal for me.

I liked both characters better in Shards. Cordelia was not forever condescending to the Barrayarans. Realistic, perhaps, to point out Cordelia's difficulties in adjusting to Barrayar. Some immigrants never
Apr 13, 2008 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms
My dh went to Iraq, I was expecting, and in the course of events I found this book at a thrift store. It is amazing. I found it life-sustaining at a time when I really, really needed help. I can keep going!
Javier Muñoz
Oct 12, 2016 Javier Muñoz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
tiene bien puesto el nombre, este libro sirve sobretodo para conocer la sociedad y política de Barrayar, al tiempo que continúa la historia de shards of honor, con los inicios del matrimonio de Cordelia y Aral, las dificultades que se encuentran tras el embarazo de esta, y hasta ahí puedo leer, porque la verdad es que poco más se puede contar sin hacer spoiler.

En todo caso volveremos a ver a la mejor Cordelia, que lucha contra todos por proteger a su futuro hijo, en la primera mitad del libro Ba
This is labeled #7 here, but I really hope everyone is reading it as #2 (or #3 if you're reading Falling Free before Shards of Honor.) Just saying. It would be a travesty to miss this one in the lineup.

Thank heavens I already had this rated as 5 stars. If I hadn't, I would have seriously questioned my former self's sanity. But it is so 5 stars. This book. My gosh, I can't even describe how epic and wonderful and perfect and satisfying this book is. The female protagonist saves lives right and le
Apr 06, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know what to tell you. This was perfect. Somehow Bujold takes my breath away. In the midst of all the madness, Cordelia makes me want to be more than I am. And the really beautiful thing is I think I could be, and she makes me believe that too.
Once again I feel like I have too many angles and thoughts to write this review, but I learned last time that waiting to do it doesn't make it any easier to do.

The best I can do is to tell you that thinking about this book is like looking in
May 20, 2015 Trice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
July 18-21, 2011 listen: this time around it really struck me how similar Miles' modus operandi regarding authority, getting things done, and working around realities really comes from Cordelia. Don't know why I didn't see that before. Is it just because we're looking at events from Cordelia's perspective? No, I don't think so. I can see Aral looking at Cordelia and saying something similar to Miles' comment on Ekaterin, like "I love effective women" (somehow that's not quite right, but I can't ...more
Sequel to Shards of Honor. Aral becomes regent, Cordelia becomes pregnant, and a civil war and personal violence threaten both.

Hmm. Yeah, okay, this one stands up much better than the prequel. Which, duh, she wrote it much later. This is one of those books where I think my ambivalence is personal rather than literary. This is a book about the price of parenthood – it's bursting with interlocked parental/child constellations, each revolving to different drums – and while I appreciate it as a nar
Fantasy Review Barn

Minor spoilers of Shards of Honor are possible, you have been warned.

Wow, what a wonderful book. This just blows its predecessor out of the water. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed Shards of Honor quite a bit. (And I realize that technically this is not the second book of the series, but it was packaged this way in my omnibus and who am I to argue?) I thought Bujold’s first book was full of heart, with a protagonist that quickly was proving to be a favorite. It was a page turner,
Mary Catelli
The second adventures of Cordelia. Spoilers ahead for Shards of Honor.

Settled on Barrayar, pregnant with the heir, getting her feel for the political situation and the problems of her husband Aral being Regent for the five-year-old emperor. Including assassination attempts. One of which happens with her present -- with the most damage happening to the baby.

It builds from there, with drama both political and military, including Aral telling his father that he can not disinherit his grandson, only
Renee M
Mar 05, 2016 Renee M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such good stuff! Tightly plotted, filled with suspense and twists, emotion and action, great characters, interesting world-building. God, I love this series!

In chronology, Barrayar takes places immediately after the events of Shards of Honor, and gives us the events surrounding the birth of both Miles and Ivan.
Angela James
Loved this--so much more than Shards of Honor. I felt it was much deeper and more dramatic, with a lot more emotional tension. In this one, I particularly warmed up to Cordelia and was glad to see her suffer both insecurities and doubts, go a little mad from all of the strain, but then also rise to her challenges.
Jan 28, 2016 Jennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm hooked. I just loved this novel. It was pretty violent at times, so it's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it so much! Cordelia is an awesome heroine. I love the writing style. It's engaging and well crafted. There's just the right amount of wit and humor. I love the characters. They are flawed and good and human and beautiful. I love the relationship between Cordelia and Aral. I kept worrying that their relationship was going too well and that the author was going to try and add some comp ...more
Science Fiction A...: Barrayar 38 89 Mar 03, 2016 01:06PM
Romance Lovers fo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold 74 31 Jul 30, 2013 12:56PM
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3)
  • Dreamsnake
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

“My home is not a place, it is people.” 111 likes
“But pain... seems to me an insufficient reason not to embrace life. Being dead is quite painless. Pain, like time, is going to come on regardless. Question is, what glorious moments can you win from life in addition to the pain?” 96 likes