Start by marking “Illuminated” as Want to Read:
Illuminated

Illuminated

3.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,377 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
Some loves are not made to last . . . Like Romeo and Juliet, Heloise and Abelard were doomed from the start, and their romance was destined to pass into history. Yet when sixteen-year-old Callie Martin discovers a diary hidden within an antique book, their story - and hers - takes on another life. For the diary leads Callie to the brilliant and handsome August, who is just ...more
Published December 8th 2011 by Speak

To ask other readers questions about Illuminated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illuminated

Lora
Apr 01, 2011 Lora marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-ya-realistic
Absolutely love this cover!
Kristi
Apr 02, 2011 Kristi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t usually review books that I don’t finish. I have a rule that if you don’t finish it you can’t really do a complete review. BUT instead of a review I’m just going to explain why I didn’t finish this book.

I once did a post called “It’s Not Me, It’s You” which was basically a post of books that I had started and didn’t finish for whatever reason, but I’ve found that I do a fairly good job at judging if I’m going to like a book before I read it… so I didn’t have many of those posts.

As you ca
Ilis Cruz
Jan 01, 2012 Ilis Cruz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worst-book-ever
This book it wasn't what I expected when I first read the synopsis. You would think its an epic love story... but its not.

The story was kinda ok with the history themes, the book hunting and Abelard, Heloise and Astrolab story, but the mystery and romance was like... I don't know... It was like everything happening out of nothing.

Calliope and August are assigned to find who's the author of The Book, right? So they go to this woman and she gives them the name of the author. Too easy.

They are s
Parvathy
Dec 26, 2011 Parvathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA lovers
Recommended to Parvathy by: goodreads
Now this review is a tough one in the making as I have still not sorted out my feelings about this book to give it an honest review. But the book does deserve one so here I am.

I am not much of a fan of starcrossed love stories unless they act as precedents to other happily ever after love stories. Not giving away too much of the ending here as you can see it coming from miles away. For starters the book begins with Calliope a 17 year old spending her summer holidays with her uncle who works at a
J.N.
Mar 19, 2012 J.N. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**This review contains spoilers. Read at your own risk***

The beautiful cover (oh, what a cover) drew me in. The synopsis was intriguing. I actually couldn't wait to start this one. Unfortunately, this wasn't for me. I found the book to be--how can I say this nicely?--boring.

Callie and August, the main characters, weren't all that interesting to me. Especially when Callie kept raving about how "hot/cute" August is. Callie just seemed really flat and uninteresting. August was slightly better--his
Nora
Jan 08, 2012 Nora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
It was bad. It was really bad. I'm kind of bummed because I went in with high hopes, which was probably my first mistake. There are so many different directions you could go in when it comes to illuminated manuscripts and the story of Abelard and Heloise and in the beginning it seemed like Illuminated might go in one of them. But it didn't.

The plot structure and the pacing sound (and I'm being serious here) like the way I would have written structure and pacing for Gilmore Girls fanfic when I w
Stephen Parrish
There is such a thing as love at first sight

A quest for the original author of a palimpsest---a parchment that has been erased for reuse---forms the backdrop for several dynamic relationships and the contrasts between them; contrasts brought into sharp relief by an old and dusty manuscript vs the young and vibrant teenagers who pursue it. Readers are easily drawn into the world of protagonist Calliope (Callie) Martin and the various pillars in her life: her father, with whom she is emotionally e
Sharmaine Dela Cruz
I am smitten with history and star-crossed love stories.
Put them together and I am completely in love.

I loved that Callie loved books especially Illuminated ones.
And I loved that not only did I enjoyed reading this book, I also learned so many things: a 900 year old star-crossed love story and books that hid meanings.

Honestly, I never knew Abelard and Heloise existed (same with Illuminated books) until I read this book.

I was so engrossed in reading this that I finished it right a way. Never want
Jen  (Today in Jen's Library)
Sometimes an author makes a valiant attempt at romance based on a legend. Sometimes it results in a long saga that lags in spots, sometimes it is completely brilliant, sometimes it is a half-hearted attempt, and sometimes an agonizing failture.

This one seems to be weighted on the side of half-hearted. The story has such potential that it's almost a shame that it ends up being so contrived. Callie is the spoiled, pampered-but-ignored daughter of a successful Boston lawyer. She is spending the su
Shea
May 28, 2012 Shea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Insta-love, and choppy brain dead writing. I usually always finish the books I start, however, I gave up here on page 86. I don't think I've ever been so bored in my life. I would recommend this book only if you had to sit at DMV for three hours and all the magazines are taken!
Trina
Nov 03, 2011 Trina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a snoozefest! Epic love story it is not. I am usually a sucker for star-crossed lovers and what-not but this book . . . yikes. Proof that a lovely cover does not equal a good story.
Rachel
Aug 05, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
** Some spoilers **

First off: I love the whole "love at first sight" thing, but this is to the extreme. They literally love each other right off the bat and act like they've known each other forever even though they met less than 24 hours. Who texts "I miss you" the night after meeting someone? No one.

August doesn't tell her what attracted him to her except for "your beautiful and intellectual." Okay... great. What other redeeming features are there?

Her uncle is a horrible parent. Yes, she's res
Zoe Liew
Dec 23, 2011 Zoe Liew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written.

Illuminated is an anthology of love stories. There is a love story within a love story. Love stories beside a love story. It's awesome.

When Callie meets August through her uncle's matchmaking endeavors, she is immediately attracted to him. And he to her. They embark on a search to discover the true story behind a mysterious manuscript which hides a love so beautiful it transcends time.

As they learn the story hidden in the pages of the manuscript and that of Heloise and Abel
Jul 24, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Callie's about to spend the summer before her senior year in New York City with her Uncle Henry. She thought that being a glorified assistant at his auction house would be the highlight of her three month stay until she meets August and they embark on an adventure to find the owner of an old and mysterious book.

At first glance Illuminated sounds interesting. YA mixed with a bookish mystery that could rival The Shadow of the Wind. Unfurtuneatly all the back cover left me with was broken promises.
Brit Hemp
Jan 01, 2012 Brit Hemp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty mediocre read for being the first book I read in 2012 to jumpstart my 52 in 52 challenge.

Erica Orloff was a new author to me-- to be honest, this book was the first time I saw her name in the Barnes n Noble YA section. I read the author's bio at the end and I must admit that I was wary of buying the book because she is also an author of juvenile fiction. However, that was only part of the reason why this book gets a three out of five stars.

The plot was phenomenal. I love books
Tanya Love
Надписи,словно след чьего–то призрачного дыхания на окне,тихо шепчет нам свое послание сквозь века .

Совершенно шикарная цитата в начале книги. Да и вообще, много в книги хороших цитат , про любовь, отношения. Хотя и шаблонных. Сама книга неплохая, интересная история, хотя и прописанная немного на мой взгляд поверхностно. Я нашла очень много состыковок слов и действий героев, просто нелепо даже то, что 16-летняя девчушка сравнивает себя с Элоизой, женщиной, которая влюбилась в своего учителя, тай
Jannat Bhat
Typically, I’m not a fan of relationships that reach an extremely deep level of commitment in an unbelievably short amount of time. However, in Illuminated, while I thought Callie and August’s relationship develops quickly, it works for me. Perhaps it’s the shared excitement, the adrenaline rush of being thrown together, hunting down clues to an archaic mystery together. Perhaps it’s the poetic, romantic words of A. bringing them together. Perhaps it’s the fact that August is just so sweet and s ...more
Carrie Kaut
OMG to even write a review for this seems to be an insult to my intelligence i lost half my iq reading this...(grammar is gonna suck considering i have a ton of reviews to write and 27 minutes to do it battery is dying lol )
the dude was way tooooooo nice and was wayyy to good to be real

the girl was just annoying...

thats right i dont remember there names i just remembered the guys and its august...if i was 13 or 15 i would of enjoyed the book maybe its because im older i dont care for it in the l
Felicia
Okay, so I liked the book essentially but I think if there would have been more to the 'national treasure'type hunt, it would have been better. 3 stars because of the lovers and it was sweet/bittersweet depending on which couple your talking about.so I liked but it could have had more plot/action in there. It was going too fast and I actually thought it might have a sequel because I really didnt think the author could end it so quickly. But alas, she did end it quickly and obviously no sequel.It ...more
Charisse
Jun 09, 2011 Charisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The heavens may present a crown of stars, and may take that same crown, but the starcrossed lovers have the grandest passion of all."

Interesting story! And I totally love August's letter to Calliope.

(Excerpt)
"...we were united by the quest for the origins of the greatest love story ever. We were united by spirits from a thousand years ago. And now we'll spend the rest of our lives writing our own love story. I am forever yours, Calliope, my muse. Your A. August"

Loved it!
Shannon Renee
It was just ok. Underneath this gorgeous cover that so much potential, are hollow leads without emotion, action, or charm about them. I did love the ancient love story attached to the plot, and to be honest that was they part that kept me reading. Callie and August did nothing for me. The gay uncles were more fun to read. I am grateful this is a stand alone. There isn't enough material for another book.
Nathaly Alvarez Jimenez
Algunas personas son como estrellas fugaces. Irrumpen en nuestras vidas como un arco espectacular, pero no se quedan mucho tiempo. Ellos simplemente dejan un rastro.
Ulliana Chase
The book was short, cute and kind of mysterious. I like Callie and August, but they relationship was too fast, too sudden. I know true love at the first sight but still there was something too sweet and unreal.
Brooke
Jun 08, 2011 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, reviewed
Started out good, but the last 20% was so boring that even skim reading was painful.
Yangchen
Apr 24, 2012 Yangchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of belief in loveeeee....
the answer is found when you are just about to lose hope and want to cling on to something for love.
M. Bianca
May 08, 2013 M. Bianca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and lovely story <3
Dani
There’s just something about star-crossed lovers, isn’t there? I find it extremely interesting that some of the most enduring romances are the ones that end tragically. Arthur & Guinevere, Tristan & Isolde, and of course, Romeo & Juliet, just to name a few. So what keeps us coming back to the unhappy ending? For me, it’s the promise of what might have been; the way the two lovers burned impossibly bright before everything went so horribly wrong. It’s the ever-present “what if?”, imag ...more
Kailia
From the moment I saw the cover for Illuminated, I knew I wanted to read it! The premise sounded good too and I was happy that it didn’t give everything away. Illuminated is the story of two teens who meet after Callie’s uncle acquires a rare palimpest (people wrote on these thousands of years ago when paper didn't exist, usually made of papyrus or vellum) to fix up.

The book itself is really small so you know that the book is going to go either really fast or really slow. The plot focuses a lot
Katie
Aug 14, 2016 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a bit of a hit and miss: it felt as if the author were trying to write a young adult novel, with the perspective of a character on the younger side of the age spectrum, but with more mature themes. However, the narrator and the author's voice read more like a children's novel, so that the hinting-at-mature themes made the story feel a bit ridiculous--like a child playing dress-up in her mother's clothes.

The author's voice itself wasn't bad: there were some phrases that were beauti
Michelle
Dec 17, 2012 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
This book. Ugh.

I enjoyed it at first. There was a mystery, and some romance, and the writing is pretty great. But as the book went on, I found myself just not caring anymore. I'd be reading one minute and the next I'd find myself obsessively trying to clean a smudge off of my Nook screen. And it wasn't until two or three minutes later, after successfully gathering all necessary supplies and removing said smudge, that I remembered I was supposed to be reading, not scrubbing.

Another great example
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 22, 2015 10:38AM
Actually I recommend before marrying 1 18 Apr 06, 2012 11:56PM
  • Still Waters
  • Kiss Crush Collide
  • Melody Burning
  • The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers (The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers, #1)
  • Wherever You Go
  • Eternal Starling (Emblem of Eternity, #1)
  • Tris & Izzie
  • Shattered Dreams (Midnight Dragonfly, #1)
  • Faking Faith
  • Pure Red
  • As I Wake
  • The Juliet Spell
  • The Sharp Time
  • On the Fringe
  • Paradise
  • Destined (Destined, #1)
  • Flyaway
  • Stay with Me
"Erica Orloff is a native New Yorker, novelist, blogger, mother of four, chronic insomniac, alt-rock loving, voracious reader (and prolific writer) who has written over twenty novels across a number of genres and pen names. She currently lives in Virginia where she rarely sleeps, roots for the Yankees and the NY Giants, knits in her almost-never free time, herds worms with her six-year-old Pirate ...more
More about Erica Orloff...

“Some people are like shooting stars. They burst through our lives in a spectacular arc, but they don't stay long. They just leave a trail.” 27 likes
“You are the reason I wake up with a smile on my face, and the reason I go to sleep with a sense of belonging in this world” 0 likes