The Witling

The Witling

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This second novel by multiple award-winner Vernor Vinge, from 1976, is a fast-paced adventure where galactic policies collide and different cultures clash as two scientists and their faith in technology are pitted against an elusive race of telekinetic beings.

Marooned on a distant world and slowly dying of food poisoning, two anthropologists are caught between warring alie...more
Published November 28th 2006 by Tor Books (first published 1976)

Kiri
So, it turns out that Vernor Vinge once wrote pulp sci-fi! I saw this book with his name on it in a used bookstore and picked it up for $1. I can only imagine that this was how he was learning his craft. The central idea is mildly interesting: a planet where the population (and indigenous creatures) are able to teleport (with varying strength) and only those without this skill ("witlings") resort to things like "science" and "technology." The expected confusion ensues when more advanced but non-...more
Althea Ann
I started out giving this book 3 stars, as a perfectly serviceable sci-fi adventure; although certainly not up to the standards of Vernor Vinge’s later work (I absolutely love Fire Upon the Deep).

It’s a First Contact story, and the premise is a little familiar, but not bad: anthropologists from Earth arrive at a seemingly non-advanced alien planet and gradually figure out that the native people have highly-developed mental abilities (teleportation). Those who lack these abilities are generally...more
Jenne
There wasn't really a lot TO this book--it was entertaining enough, but it really suffers in comparison with his later books like A Deepness in the Sky and a Fire Upon the Deep, which I think are some of the most interesting alien books I've read.

I think someone mentioned this one on a mailing list I belong to, and it sounded kind of interesting: basically there's this planet where everyone has psychic powers, so they can teleport themselves and kill people at a distance and so on. People witho...more
Stef
Thomson Kneeland
Vernor Vinge has written some great novels, but The Witling definitely does not live up to his other works. Premises were interesting enough, but the story is not too captivating, and in its short length, really offers nothing substantial. The ending involves a gratuitous 20 pages where everything is suddenly "resolved" without really having any kind of climactic plot. Vinge is a great writer, but look elsewhere!
Sam
Space travelers (from a human space colony) come to a new planet of humans with unusual mental powers.

The best thing about the book is the scientific discussions of the mental teleportation powers of the inhabitants of the planet. This includes even great speculations about the physics of teleportation. (Such as conservation of momentum and angular momentum. Of course this cannot work mathematically, but it still makes for fun speculation.)

The weak thing about the book is the plot which, althoug...more
Helen Marsh
Two people, apparently descendents of earth, get stranded on a planet where the inhabitants have an unusual talent that has caused their society to develop in an unusual way.

I felt Vinge was altogether to taken with exploring how this unusual talent would work so that much of the book required an understanding of maths and physics to appreciate it.

There was some human interest, but it felt rather shallow.

The writing style did not draw me in.
Martijn Heemels
Quite a short story, but entertaining. In typical Vinge style, the aliens' world is believable, although in this early book still a bit simplistic. Still, some entertaining ideas on how a race would develop when given extraordinary powers.

His really excellent later books do a much better job of imagining an alien civiliation that is utterly different from ours, but still make you feel part of it.
Jim Mastro
A fun and interesting read, but not as good as Vinge's other books. No surprise there, as this was one of his first. Interesting to see this snapshot of his development as a writer. His skill with character development was very strong, even at this early stage, but the story structure was less polished than, say, A Deepness in the Sky, or A Fire Upon the Deep.
Enno
What this book taught me: Vernor Vinge is brilliant when he's writing great SciFi, but boring when he is writing pulp. This book is dated, and if you're hoping for more of what makes Across Realtime or Fire Upon The Deep so great, stay away from The Witling. I gave up in chapter 3, returning this to the friend I borrowed it from.
David Robins
This is the first book I've read by Vinge, and definitely plan to read others. This book is more about "ingenious people use science to save themselves" (and the strange natural ability of the inhabitants of Gira, and how they navigate), and that was good as far as it went, but I'm expecting more political philosophy from his others.
Jana
It is hard to believe that this book was written over 30 years ago. It was well written and a quick read. This is the story of two people stranded for some time on a foreign world, a world where teleportation is a "Talent" that most people have. The story tells of their quest to get back home.
Adam Graffunder
Simple yet kinda subtle. Vinge has been a serious science fictionist for a long time.

spoiler below:

This book is about physics and spherical geometry.
Jeff
Good early pulp sci-fi. I enjoyed the character development and story. The hard science was a little much for me, but the concept was well described.
Lisa Tansey
It's a fun combination of fantasy and sci-fi, plus a plot that moves and some entertaining characters.
Ed
So far it's the usual awesomeness from Vinge. Another fantastic alien culture.
Andy
This isn't bad, but not nearly as good as Vinge's other work.
Jeffrey
Not as good as his later works, but still enjoyable.
Leon
Not the best Vinge, but a good idea-based sci-fi adventure.
Luke
Jan 30, 2008 Luke marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
one of Richard Stallmans favorites
Carl
Carl marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
David Angier
David Angier marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • The War Against the Rull
  • Wolfling
  • The Asutra (Durdane, #3)
  • Journey Beyond Tomorrow
  • Dark Star
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • Voyager in Night (Age of Exploration, #2)
  • Galaxies Like Grains of Sand
  • Iceworld
  • Stamping Butterflies
  • Fury
  • Diadem from the Stars (Diadem, #1)
  • Isle of the Dead
  • The Imperial Stars (Family d'Alembert, #1)
Vernor Steffen Vinge is a retired San Diego State University Professor of Mathematics, computer scientist, and science fiction author. He is best known for his Hugo Award-winning novels A Fire Upon The Deep (1992), A Deepness in the Sky (1999) and Rainbows End (2006), his Hugo Award-winning novellas Fast Times at Fairmont High (2002) and The Cookie Monster (2004), as well as for his 1993 essay...more
More about Vernor Vinge...
A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1) A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2) Rainbows End The Peace War (Across Realtime, #1) Marooned in Realtime (Across Realtime, #2)