Start by marking “Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep” as Want to Read:
Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep

Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep (Emily Windsnap #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  7,135 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
An enchanting tale with a fabulous monster, engaging characters, plenty of mermaid magic, and a page-turning story, Liz Kessler's new middle-grade fantasy has all the charm and warmth of its predecessor, THE TAIL OF EMILY WINDSNAP.

Picture an island set in a glittering blue sea, sparkling with white sand and palm trees, a secret place where humans and merfolk live together
Published April 10th 2012 by Candlewick (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep, please sign up.

[Name Redacted] My guess? Money. It's dreadful, obnoxious and uneventful, missing all the fun and whimsy of the first book.

Dawn (& Ron)
Dec 14, 2011 Dawn (& Ron) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love mermaid tales, action adventure tales
Read for Anna's ABC&D bookclub

This book picks up shortly after the events of book 1, The Tail of Emily Windsnap. Flipping fins, their lives at Allpoints island begins with 12 year old Emily, excited about her new home, still has the same fears she did in her old home of being different and not fitting in. Her efforts t to impress brings out the bogey-mer of merfolks nightmares and she's the only one who can fix it.

"It lends itself to a touch of insomnia, getting stranded on an island the si
Hadessephy
Sep 14, 2014 Hadessephy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, mg
This is a cute series for young girls but I think I am a little too old for it. I like most mid grade books but this series is at the younger end. That being said I still want to finish the series. I love how Neptune puts on an air that he doesn't care but always does the right thing. I'm glad that Emily and Mandy made up at the end and I liked how the author showed both sides. Over all Emily is a nice girl and I'm glad she has her good friend.
Debbie
Sep 13, 2007 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Emily is all set to live happily ever after with her parents, but of course it doesn't work out that way. In trying to fit in and make friends, Emily accidentally awakens the Kraken. It looks like the Kraken will destroy Allpoints Island--unless Emily can find a way to avert disaster. Her old enemy, Mandy, shows up to further complicate matters.

Not quite as good as the first book in the series, but cute.
Jen
Jun 03, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read the first one
Shelves: 2009
Julia Brumfield
Apr 14, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, book
First of all I hadn't had the chance to read the original book and didn't know this was a sequel until I had already picked it up. As a result I cannot say anything about the series or even place the book itself in a comparable study compared to the others in the series although one friend really likes the third book the best and others say the first was good but that is from others' viewpoints.

To me the book was too flat and emotionless since it was basically the same issue times two with a b
Emily
This book is about Emily has found her dad and goes to live and allpoints island. When she her friend shona and two other girls go to show emily around the school emily an dshona tresspass in neptunes territories and accidentaly wake the kraken witch is one of neptunes most powerful sea cratures. Now shona is mad at emily for making her go and the only people who the kraken listens to is the people who wake it. But know emily has to get shona to help her. How will she? for more information read ...more
Nov 21, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Weng
Jan 30, 2015 Michelle Weng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Windsnap was not a ordinary girl.When Emily took swimming class she found out she has tails. Good thing King Neptune's loyal assistant was here to help.Now that Emily knows she need to move to a beautiful island set in a glittering blue sea, sparkling with white sand and palm trees, a secret place where humans and merfolk live together.But during this adventure curious Emily found where Neptune hides his pet Kraken.But by accident she and her friend Shona woken the kraken who was to sleep ...more
Neha
Oct 21, 2016 Neha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily WIndsnap: Monster from the Deep
In the last book Emily rescued her father from Neptune’s prison. With Neptune’s forgiveness she and her family and friends were able to live on a secret island in peace. Until one day, she was dared to go into a cave with Shona. Inside the cave there was treasure. And if they went any further a tunnel that lead them to Neptune’s sea monster that Emily woke by mistake. What will happen, would Emily save them all? Or will she end up losing it all? I think that
Brigitte
I was less than impressed by the first book, I didn’t feel the same excitement as I did back when I was 12, but I recognised the appeal. However, the second book was much better as we finally got to see some character development on Emily’s side. There’s a clear contrast in how she behaves here when compared to the first book, with acceptance being one of the main themes in this book. It’s interesting to see how Emily handles being alienated from her friends after she tried so hard to please the ...more
Kendra Ardnek
You know that awkward moment when you only intended to read the first book of a series, so you check it out from Overdrive, only to receive the WHOLE series in one ebook...

Not that it's a bad series, mind you, but this wasn't a series I wanted to read in one big gulp, and now I kinda feel obligated. Emily loves treading ALL over my literary pet peeve, but she usually learns most of her lesson, and the worldbuilding isn't bad. If you enjoy mermaid fiction, I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't go out
Pamela S
May 31, 2012 Pamela S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sequel to the first book. To understand this book more, i highly recommend to read the first book first (the tail of emily windsnap). This book gave the funny feeling of being scared at a time while still wanting to know what happens next. Very engaging but a little bit intense, more intense than the first book. An enchanting fantasy with a fabulous monster, a cast of engaging, funny characters, plenty of mermaid magic and a page-turning story. Well written and swiishyyy!!!
Kathy
Feb 25, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction
Emily who is half mermaid goes to live with her Mom (a human) and dad (a Merman) on All Points Island--a beautiful place. Emily enjoys playing with her best friend Shona and other mermaids, but then on a dare goes where she shouldn't and awakens a horrible monster the Kracken who just happens to be Neptune's pet. Things get complicated and dangerous in this hidden island tucked away in the Bermuda Triangle.
Ciara Ryan
May 11, 2016 Ciara Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book of the Emily Windsnap series and this one carried my love for this series! I totally recomend this book because they take you with Emily through her adventures. The adventures keep you right on the edge of your seat. I rate this book 4 stars!
Aleysha
i liked this book because it had adventure and because it was about mermaids. my favorite part is that when the monster comes and scares everybody. and i like when Emily saves the day
Patricia
Dec 10, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emily-windsnap

It was a terrific book. I don't have a favorite part because I loved it ALL! I also finished it in 2 days because it was so good. On got to go and start book 3.
Kitkat
Nov 07, 2011 Kitkat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was really good!
Milana Waller
Nov 29, 2016 Milana Waller rated it did not like it
Really strange. Unrealistic. I just don't understand what was going on it is just so weird
Nat
May 11, 2013 Nat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
It is a terrible misfortune that the popular book series about being a mermaid is told through the perspective of someone who only wants to fit in.
Nilsson
Um, I'm glad everything worked out, that in itself is wonderful! But you should really avoid the Bermuda Triangle at all costs. It's nothing to joke about, that.
Corey Timmins
Writing style made it hard to follow who was talking.
Chelsea
Cute, but not as good as the first one.
Jonasanddelice
Feb 20, 2017 Jonasanddelice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Another sweet tale, this time mostly in the mermaid realm, yet interweaving some humans to add interest. This one is almost entirely suspenseful and intense, yet the conflict is resolved with some really profound insightful wisdom that everyone can appreciate.
Sierra Brown
Mar 24, 2017 Sierra Brown rated it really liked it
Stephanie
So far Clio loves it...

Yep Clio loves this kind of story! She loves bad guys and mysteries and mermaids. Looks like we will be reading #3 soon too!
Sonia
Feb 28, 2017 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite character is Emily Windsnap because even though she made a mistake she tried her best to fix it, she is also very kind and forgiving. What surprised me was that Emily forgave Mandy even though Mandy was not kind to Emily. I wouldn’t change the ending because the kraken went back to sleep in the end, and Emily’s family is safe.
Paige
Feb 22, 2017 Paige rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As if being a half-mermaid-half human isn't hard enough, Emily Windsnap can't go a minute without a bad situation at stake. But when it comes to accidentally waking up a sea monster that has been sleeping for ninety-two years and has his eyes set only on destruction, "bad situation" is a total understatement. In the book Emily Windsnap and the Monster of the Deep, Liz Kessler provides a magical and adventurous story about friendship.
I particularly enjoyed the two perspectives of the plot. With
Becky Keir Grace
This series is proving to be fun to read, and I can see why girls enjoy them. Emily Windsnap has moved to Allpoints Island, a place where humans and mermaids may live together. Her family has a new house, one where her human mother, and merman father may coexist. Emily gets to start over in a new school with her best friend, Shona. Emily is relived that she no longer has to deal with bullies, like Mandy Rushton. Shona introduces Emily to some other mermaids Althea and Marina, and they go off in ...more
Brooke Duppel
Oct 20, 2016 Brooke Duppel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep was about a 12 year old girl named Emily and we learned about her secret. She was half-mermaid and half-human. But, Emily really didn't know the secret herself until she went for swimming lessons. She also learns that her father didn't abandon her as a baby. But the part that she does know about her father was that he was imprisoned by the oceans, Neptune, who we found out had an illegal love affair between her human mother and merman father ...more
the sequal to emily windsnap 7 20 Jun 21, 2014 03:18PM
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
  • Prilla and the Butterfly Lie (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #8)
  • Tide Knot (Ingo, #2)
  • Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg (Disney Fairies #1)
  • No Place for Magic (The Tales of the Frog Princess, #4)
  • Beck and the Great Berry Battle (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #3)
  • Rani in the Mermaid Lagoon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #5)
  • Into the Blue (Dolphin Diaries, #1)
  • Molly Takes Flight (American Girls Short Stories)
  • Beck Beyond the Sea (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #10)
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath (Real Mermaids, #2)
  • Fira and the Full Moon (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #6)
  • Diary of a Fairy Godmother
Liz Kessler is the author of three novels about Philippa Fisher as well as the NEW YORK TIMES best-selling Emily Windsnap series. She lives in Manchester, England.
More about Liz Kessler...

Emily Windsnap (6 books)
  • The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist (Emily Windsnap, #3)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret (Emily Windsnap, #4)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Land of the Midnight Sun (Emily Windsnap, #5)
  • Emily Windsnap and the Ship of Lost Souls (Emily Windsnap, #6)