Start by marking “Shaq Uncut: My Story” as Want to Read:
Shaq Uncut: My Story

Shaq Uncut: My Story

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,796 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
Superman. Diesel. The Big Aristotle. Shaq Fu. The Big Daddy. The Big Shaqtus. Wilt Chamberneezy. The Real Deal. The Big Shamrock. Shaq.

You know him by any number of names, and chances are you know all about his legendary basketball career: Shaquille "Shaq" O'Neal is a four-time NBA champion and a three-time NBA Finals MVP. After being an All-American at Louisiana State Uni
Published November 15th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shaq Uncut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaq Uncut

Brian
Dec 05, 2011 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shaq was like, "Here's my book." I was like, "This is awful."
Brett
Nov 26, 2011 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone who is an NBA basketball fan. Shaq opens up in great detail about his professional and personal life, and gives the reader an in-depth look at who he is as a person. What is revealed, which may be surprising to many, is how unbelievably sensitive and generous of a person Shaquille is. He takes you through his journey as a poor, overgrown kid living in a strict military household all the way to his glory days of stardom dominating the NBA . He takes the reader into ...more
Alec
Oct 20, 2014 Alec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like reading about motivational and inspirational books, this is a book for you. Shaq came from nothing at the beginning of his life and turned that around and became a professional basketball star. He provided for his family who didn't have much, and gave back to the community. I wouldn't have ages 10 or lower read this book because there was some mature content and some words they may not understand. But if you like basketball and like motivational and inspirational books his a book for ...more
David Kao
Feb 26, 2013 David Kao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books tells you a lot about Shaq , how he become one of the greatest basketball player , what difficulties does he faced , injuries , family problems ...etc .
He is a legend in basketball , he has 4 champions , and 1 Mvp and he is my favorite bball player , he began to play bball when he was little that why he is so goo , so I recommend this book to all of the Shaq fans all over the world , because this book tells you how Shaq goes to NBA , from high school to college to NBA , play for 6 te
Cheryl Durham
Feb 21, 2016 Cheryl Durham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the years, I must admit, I have been intrigued by the play and antics of Shaquille O'Neal. I remember his play at LSU and followed him from Orlando to Miami. Imagine my surprise in finding out that he played for Boston and Cleveland. I'm still trying to process that and wonder how I missed it. Where was I when he announced his retirement?

This book was very enlightening. It gave me a glimpse in the life of the biggest man that I've watch clog the paint on the basketball court. He spoke cand
Imran Razack
Nov 15, 2015 Imran Razack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shaq Uncut By: Shaquille O'Neal
Shaq Uncut is a story about NBA star and television personality Shaquille O'Neil. The book is autobiographical in nature and focuses the details of Shaq's upbringing. Readers who are interested in learning more about what's behind the curtains will enjoy this book. It has a tell all feel and seeks to give the audience a better appreciation for the human side of Shaq.
Honest attempts to humanize Shaq come off well. He tells a story that when he was a kid, he was a
Maverick Marsala
If you like sports books, then you will definitely like this one. But, it isn't just a book just for basketball fans, it is a book for anyone that wants to read an autobiography about a very interesting person. In this book, Shaquillle O'Neal tells us his life story from having a hard and difficult childhood to being one of the most dominant players within the NBA. Once, you read this book, you will learn that surprisingly, Shaq is a very sensitive and generous person. He also is very funny and ...more
Cameron Paynter
Jun 13, 2014 Cameron Paynter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: term-3
Most people know Shaq from the basketball court with the amazing career he has had playing basketball. But this book doesn't only talk about that it talks about Shaq's life and most of the things that people don't know about Shaq, how he is just a big fun loving guy. Shaw is hilarious and so are some things i this book. if you are a fan of Shaq or basketball and want to read about a pretty tremendous person's life then Shaq uncut is the book for you.
Jarell
Dec 12, 2012 Jarell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shaq UNCUT is about a NB player named shaquille O'neal. Shaq was a bully in his young years, shaq always seemed to be taller and clumsy. Shaq felt superior to everyone else. When shaq came to his teenage years he began to be interested in sports, mostly basketball, but shaq always was the player he was in the NBA he had to learn like everyone else.

I really liked the book it was everything sad, funny, action packed. The book had a lot more into it than i had thought. Most biographies i can barely
Trevon Davis
The genre of "Shaq Uncut: Tall Tales and Untold Stories" is a. the topic of this story is about Shaquille being introduced to the sport basketball and becoming the star he was. The main ideas of Shaq Uncut is that Shaq is disciplined by his father, who is in the military, for one Shaq's real father wasn't around and two so he wouldn't get out of line. Another main idea is that because of Shaq's growing at a young age his father taught him the fundamentals of basketball. After this happened Shaq ...more
Librariasaurus
I'm not sure what I expected in a sports biography for one of the highest paid players in nba history.

I didn't enjoy listening to this book, and I wouldn't have ever picked up a print version. Prior to this though, I've always liked Shaq and now, my opinion of him has altered. And not in a positive way.

Whilst he does amazing work for the underprivileged as he was raised to do, I don't like how much effort he went to to be paid more than Penny Hardaway, even if it meant leaving his club.

Whilst
Jeffrey Lin
Dec 16, 2015 Jeffrey Lin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Shaq Uncut was written by Shaquille O'Neal himself as a biography of his career in the NBA. It tells many stories from his childhood, all the way to stories that happened to him while he was playing in the NBA and ultimately when he retired. The book tells many interesting stories about Shaquille that I didn't already know, but more importantly, it tells you the stories like a conversation rather than reading feeling like reading stories. The plot was driven by events and things that ha ...more
B.T. Hogan
I was looking forward to Shaq's post career autobiography from very early on in the man's NBA career. He often threatened that his retirement book would be a no holds barred, tell-all expose of his life and times as a pro baller, and in this sense Shaq Uncut is something of a disappointment.

This in itself is a let down, because the man himself is larger than life, and I had hoped that his story would serve this narrative. Unfortunately though, for me it felt like he took this book as his chance
Tara
May 09, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shaq is one of the biggest guys in the NBA. He's also been injury prone. But he has been a fighting force on some of the best teams out there. He shares details from his days with the Magic, Lakers, Celtics, Suns, Cavs and Heat. He's played with the greats, been coached by some of the best and is telling all in this book.
Claudia
Mar 01, 2012 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read. Like many biographies it reads like the liner notes of a good CD with all the thank yous and I couldn't have done it with yous. But, there is a lot to learn about this guy; he's interesting, and it's in ways you wouldn't expect. Plus, I love Jackie Mac, so I had to give it a go. You won't be disappointed.
Zach Wilber
Jun 13, 2014 Zach Wilber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shaq Uncut: Tall Tales and Untold Stories takes you inside the life of one of the world's most recognizable athletes, Shaquille O'neal. Shaq talks about his many hardships growing up, his untouchable NBA career, and more. Anyone would enjoy this book, because it's full of humor and great stories from a living legend.
Ori Nagel
I was getting into NBA stories from following this year's Warriors historic run, so I decided to give Shaq's memoir a shot. It was solid, not amazing. Some cool details about Shaq's upbringing, how he progressed to the NBA, and life in the NBA. You get a sense of what makes him tick. I also loved the inside stories of Shaq's teams--the Orlando Magic, Pat Riley and the Heat, and of course Kobe and the Lakers.

There's some good gossip/inside details but overall it wasn't as much of a tell-all as i
Lance
Jan 14, 2014 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shaq
If you are looking to read this book and is interested in sports, reading this will be the correct choice for you. The story of Shaquille O'Neal explains how he was during the drama of the game and how he plays the game. This book is amazing to read because you get the idea of how a future Hall of Fame basketball player shares his aspects of playing basketball and being a professional athlete. As you read, It seems as though he gives you tips on what you see while being a famous person. Shaquill ...more
Sandi
Feb 23, 2012 Sandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, sports, read-2012
While not much of a Shaq fan during most of his career I've kind of come around on him and found this book about his life pretty interesting. Listened to the audio version which was performed by Dion Graham who really had Shaq's cadence and tone down perfectly.
Rich Baker
Jan 13, 2016 Rich Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. The narrator did an amazing job of capturing Shaq's voice. The story is good. I appreciate the details he put in. However, I wanted to know more about him personally. Other than his childhood, he almost exclusively focused on talking about his life as it related to basketball. Late in the book he talks more about his kids, but I would have appreciated hearing about them chronologically in conjunction with some of the other major events.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Shaq. He
Mattmiller
Nov 27, 2011 Mattmiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: basketball
Shaq is funny. And frank. If you have interest in the basketball scene during the years he played, it gives a lot of first hand info. The book isn't terribly well written, but I definitely liked it.

RanchosReader
Feb 09, 2015 RanchosReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a definite book for you if you're an NBA fan. Just like you'd hope, there are plenty of interesting and insightful stories about NBA players, opinions, and relationships that never made it to the surface before. It gives you a bit of a glimpse of how things really are in the business, and personal view points that Shaq had from major games to his personal relationships.

The quality of the autobiography itself was okay. It was a bit expected for Shaq to have a self celebration of his acco
Jagger Walk
May 02, 2016 Jagger Walk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shaq Uncut by Shaquille O'Neal shares his intriguing life story. Once a kid from Newark, New Jersey, and the journey of becoming one of the best basketball players of all time. The 7 foot basketball star devoted himself to basketball and the story reveals how success must be worked for. This 4x champion had to fight his way out of his hometown to achieve his dreams and he reveals how basketball is much more than a sport. I rate this book 4 stars due to this abnormal success story. In a humble up ...more
Jacob Dahmen
May 21, 2015 Jacob Dahmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shaq
I thoought that it was a great story and that shaq went through a lot to get to where he is today. it was very inspiring book.(2)
Jason Claybaugh
May 06, 2016 Jason Claybaugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like sports books and you like books where a person goes from rags to riches then this is a book for you. This book is about how shaq grew up and his road to becoming an all star basketball player. He has a troubled childhood and he turns it around and makes a really good story out of it and he does good to the community as well.

Some things I liked about this book are his acts of kindness and how it makes you want to do good deeds as well. Such as once he got his first multi-million dolla
Ivan Zullo
Nov 19, 2015 Ivan Zullo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of such a huge personality, I was curious to learn more about his life. It was better that expected: it's the real Shaq from the be inning to the end, so honest and frank both when recalling triumphs and when facing with setbacks and downs (yes, there were some in Shaq life too).
A character that has not only had an impact on pro basketball, but also outside the court. Hilarious inside the locker room, serious and available when it was time to help others.
Shaq Uncut: highly recommended t
Morton
Oct 23, 2015 Morton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked him a lot more before this book. Too much ego - nothing is ever his fault.
Daniel
Apr 09, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this one was a surprise! I've always been a fan of Shaq and this book really gets into who he is, where he came from and what he's doing now. He really lets the reader know how much he owes his success to his stepfather, as he had little contact with his biological father. He mentions the family he came from and the large family he has built. Shaq writes about his relationship and falling out with Kobe Bryant when they played together for the Lakers. This book really tells a remarkable stor ...more
Ben
Dec 29, 2014 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
omg....love!!!!
Judd Vance
Jul 09, 2016 Judd Vance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in 1994, Shaq wrote a book with Jack McCallum about his rookie season, and although I'm an avid reader of NBA books, I passed on that. At 21 years old, he had not played long enough or lived long enough for me to care what he had to say. Back then, I said, "When he retires, THEN I'd be interested in what he has to say."

The day has come and sure enough, Shaq is a lot more interesting. By his own account, issues that offended his ego at age 24 no longer offend him at 40. Those are insights I'
Shaq Uncut 1 2 Nov 04, 2013 05:25PM
  • West by West: My Charmed, Tormented Life
  • Red and Me: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend
  • Drive: The Story of My Life
  • Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s
  • Bad as I Wanna Be
  • FreeDarko Presents: The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History
  • The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky and the 2.1 Seconds That Changed Basketball
  • The Art of a Beautiful Game: The Thinking Fan's Tour of the NBA
  • When Nothing Else Matters: Michael Jordan's Last Comeback
  • One on One: Behind the Scenes with the Greats in the Game
  • The Whore of Akron: One Man's Search for the Soul of LeBron James
  • My Life Outside the Ring
  • Basketball Junkie: A Memoir
  • Can I Keep My Jersey?: Eleven Teams, Six Years, Five Countries, and My So-called Career as a Professional Basketball Player
  • Personal Foul