Start by marking “Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success” as Want to Read:
Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success

Emotional Equations: Simple Truths for Creating Happiness + Success

TONY HSIEH on Emotional Equations: "Rarely has a CEO bared his soul in a book as Chip Conley has in Emotional Equations. This powerfully authentic story makes for a compelling read and an invaluable operating manual for life. Chip’s stories are used to create emotional building blocks that define how we can understand and navigate our internal weather and emotions.

In busin
Published January 10th 2012 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Emotional Equations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emotional Equations

Deb
Jul 08, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
**There’s an equation for that**

At first impression, the title “Emotional Equations” may seem to be a bit of an oxymoron.
How could something as intangible and unquantifiable as an emotion possibly be captured in an equation? And, if an emotion could be explained by an equation, wouldn’t it take the emotionality of it anyway?

It turns out that emotions really can be represented by equations. But, don’t worry, you don’t have to be any kind of math whiz to understand them. In _Emotional Equations_
Patrick
Jun 19, 2012 Patrick rated it liked it
I picked up this book since I'd seen a similar set of equations on Craig Damraur's New Math blog (http://www.morenewmath.com/). This book has a set of similar equations but adds a lot of psychological gobbledy-gook that I didn't find very satisfying.

Also, I didn't agree with some of the equations. For example, the author used:

Happiness = reality - expectations

Where I feel it should be more like this (since I don't like the concept of negative happiness):

Happiness = reality / expectations

or if yo
Alyssa Greatbanks
Nov 09, 2011 Alyssa Greatbanks rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
When I first started this book, the first chapter or two were very confusing. Once it became one chapter per "equation", everything was explained more thoroughly and was much easier to understand.

After reading this book, although it was not perfect, it did make a lot of really good points that I believe would help a lot of people to read. So I believe that everyone should read through this book once, every equation, so you really get the full benefit of the book.

I recieved this book through the
K
Feb 21, 2012 K rated it really liked it
كتاب عظيم جدا. يستاهل أربع نقاط و نصف ..

فكرته: تبسيط كثير من الأفكار الرئيسية في علم النفس بطريقة المعادلات الرياضية! يعيد تعريف أهم المصطلحات بشكل جديد يسهل الفهم و الحفظ و التفعيل.

ما يميزه أيضا أنه يعتبر تلخيصا لأشهر ما كتب في علم النفس الغربي من أطروحات و أبحاث حول السعادة، القلق، الحسد، التدفق، الحكمة.

جدير بالذكر، أن به اختزال لأن كتابا أكبر من ذلك سيصبح مملا. لكن كل فصل بمعادلة واحدة كان كافيا. مع العلم أن كل فصل كان يحوي شرحا سريعا عن المفهوم العاطفي، ثم قصة، ثم تطبيقات عملية غير مغرقة في
Kim
Mar 16, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic
I loved this book and it's underlying message: that by creating your own emotional equations you can become more aware and in more control of how you react to whatever life throws you. Conley is a storyteller and through his struggles and lasting positivity, he empowers you with knowledge and inspires you to take action to change your own life. It's not the equations that matter, after all, it's what you do with them.

Change = emotional equations + action
Sarah HB's Girl
Nov 10, 2011 Sarah HB's Girl rated it did not like it
I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads.

This book was very structured, each chapter being an equation, and each equation having a real-life story to begin, followed by an explanation, and how to work through the equation. Each equation is not just emotions, but personal values as well. This book can help some people who feel overwhelmed and are unsure of where they are or what they want.
Gary
Dec 12, 2013 Gary rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK + IT'S KEY TERMS TO YOUR EMOTIONS = better clarity in understanding how you can sort things out + work with them in order to create greater happiness + success.

I picked up 29 equations with more than half of them in the table of contents. Example: "Jealousy=mistrust÷ self-esteem and Envy=pride+vanity÷ kindness."

Some statements by the author that stand out to me in this Good Read:
-A shorthand means of correcting yourself emotionally in order to get clearer perspectives + more control d
Ypatios Varelas
Ο συγγραφέας αντιμετωπίζει όλες τις συναισθηματικές εξισώσεις εντελώς γνωσιακά, μέσα από ένα πρίσμα υποθετικής διαμόρφωσης των συναισθημάτων μέσω του επηρεασμού συγκεκριμένων παραγόντων. Σε κάποιες περιπτώσεις αυτές οι "εξισώσεις" έχουν μία χρησιμότητα, σε άλλες όχι. Δεν είναι εξισώσεις "σύνθεσης συναισθημάτων" (π.χ. ποια πρωτογενή συναισθήματα μπορεί να περιέχει η ζήλια ή η ευτυχία), αλλά διατυπώσεις εξάρτησης των αντιληπτών αισθημάτων από παράγοντες που μπορούμε να επηρεάσουμε.

Το βιβλίο στηρίζ
Anita Ashland
Feb 29, 2016 Anita Ashland rated it it was amazing
If you want to strengthen your emotional intelligence this book will give you many practical steps to accomplish that.

In addition to drawing on stories of his own difficult experiences as a CEO, he includes stories about Abraham Lincoln, Mother Teresa, Victor Frankel, Andre Agassi, Oprah Winfrey, Charles Darwin, and many others.

The equations seem a bit dry at first but I appreciate the pithiness of them. They appeal to the left brained part of me.

He lists many questions throughout the first half
Sheila
May 23, 2014 Sheila rated it liked it
Recommends it for: not sure
Recommended to Sheila by: My son Bhruti
A real-life story each chapter being an equation, each equation, followed by an explanation, and how to work through the equation. It is how to deal with emotions on daily bases either at work, home and other relationships. This book can help some people who feel overwhelmed and are unsure of where they are or what they want.

Interesting read about emotions and how it impacts people's daily life through people stories. Author developed the idea of combining emotions through the equivalent of math

Lisa
Jun 11, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Well. This is one of my favorite books I've read in a very long time. Favorite like I want to buy 100 copies on Amazon and start giving it to everyone I meet. Written by the former CEO of the Joie de Vivre boutique hotel chain and geared towards business, it really is so applicable to just about everything. Basically distilling down difficult emotional situations and feelings to math equations. Like this one: Despair = Suffering - Meaning. Mmm hmm. Yes. You should read it. He even has a chapter ...more
Melissa.d.flores
Dec 10, 2015 Melissa.d.flores rated it really liked it
Took me a while to finish this book (was reading it from a list of recommended reading for work) and I thought it was pretty good. My biggest takeaway was the importance of positivity in the workplace and ideas of how to create it - not an easy thing to do by any stretch. Lots of other good insights too.
Jason
Feb 18, 2017 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improvement
The author claims success in life, but no academic credentials regarding emotions. He shares simple, profound truths which can be life-changing - if one hasn't pondered on them before.
Laura Thompson
Dec 15, 2016 Laura Thompson rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a very fun and fascinating read. There are many quotes that I took away, here are two of my favorites.

“EVENT + REACTION = OUTCOME Many people do not distinguish between something that happens to them and their reaction to it. Yet it isn’t the event or situation that holds the emotional charge; it’s our beliefs that create our response.”

“This equation has helped many people I know identify the difference between practicing happiness and pursuing it. When my happiness feel
Evan
Jul 29, 2013 Evan rated it it was ok
I skimmed this, rather than reading deeply, which I think was enough. The author acknowledges his debt to Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning," which is the classic this book will never be. Likewise, applying mathematical equations to guide your life seems a bit... rational. Conley, for all the work he's done as an entrepreneur, also seems to undervalue work itself, and instead tells the readers they are workaholics running from something. Maybe not, Chip: some people really do enjoy their jobs, ...more
Daniel
Jun 22, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
O livro apresenta uma abordagem inovadora ao conceituar emoções (intangíveis) através de equações mensuráveis. Para quem gosta do assunto é uma maneira didática de aprofundá-lo. Mesmo que o leitor não concorde com algumas equações, a abordagem é criativa e provocadora. O autor inclusive sugere que o leitor crie suas próprias equações como maneira de buscar o conhecimento de suas próprias emoções. Vale a pena ler a seção Notas, onde Chip Conley apresenta as fontes (livros, artigos, sites e vídeos ...more
CAC
Mar 26, 2012 CAC rated it really liked it
I found this book very helpful. Chip unbundles various, often confusing emotions into their component parts and explains not only how to better understand them, but also advises on how to improve our negative emotional states. it's a great book because of its practical application. I also appreciated how well researched the book is. Chip cites/explains/applies the approach of many experts in the field of philosophy and psychology, such as William James, Victor Frankl, Martin Seligman, etc.
Seb
Feb 22, 2014 Seb rated it it was amazing
I'm at the very beginning of my career and there are still many things to figure out. Chip Conley tells an apparently very honest storey of his journey and challenges, which I find motivating. There are many very interesting anecdotes I found easy to remember. The idea of expressing emotions as equations also makes a lot of sense to me and helps me to cope with what's flung my way. I will definitely recommend this books to my friends.
Robert Chapman
I gave this book a low rating because the idea of using math, equations, to express emotions did not resonate with me. It's an interesting twist, but it's not easily remembered and for that reason I did not find a lot of value in the idea or the book in general.

There were some salient points in the book, but nothing I have not read before in other books which did grab my attention in a far more meaningful way.

To be fair, it's not that this is a bad book, it just wasn't a good book for me.
BLACK CAT
The book talks about different emotions and how to get more of the good ones.
Emotion, brain, heart...
You choose how to react to emotions.

On regrets:

"if only" = the 2 saddest words.

How to decide to avoid regret:
Is it fixable?
Is it repeatable?
Write also the pros and cons.

Analyze your regret and build your wisdom
Favor action over in-action.
Seize the moment.
Live less timidly.
Can you act now?
Share your story with others.
Be accountable.
Nsharil
Oct 16, 2013 Nsharil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the mystery of trying to put your emotions into words. It helps one to understand almost perfectly the relationship between different emotions and provides some ideas on how to manage these based on mathematical ways.

Pretty unique and very 'solid' in my opinion, as compared to more theoretical based psychology. Loved every part of this book, and I find myself returning to specific chapters. Worth soaking in every word Chip has written down.
Brett
Dec 26, 2012 Brett rated it it was amazing
The title of this book will scare many away, which is unfortunate, since it is not a math or technically challenging book at all. The basic equations simply isolate in visual form the key factors on which to increase focus. There are many books on the topic of happiness, but I'd recommend this one first. At the very least, you are likely to enjoy increased clarity in some of the more confounding aspects of your life.
Odile
Dec 31, 2012 Odile rated it liked it
Picked up this book at the library by implusion. Interesting read about emotions and impact on people's life through people stories. Develop the idea of combining emotions through the equivalent of math symbol to explain bigger emotions or behaviors: interesting approach that seems to be more a way to talk about emotions. Engaging author and writing style. strong influence from Maslow, Seligman, Goleman and others. Even reference to Dalai Lama, Buddhism and meditaton.
Maren
Aug 03, 2012 Maren rated it really liked it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I started reading this book, but because someone else at the library was waiting for it, it had to go back. I'd like to get it again. It's got some really interesting ideas regarding emotions and metacognition. It's not exactly a page turner, but it definitely gives you thoughts to chew on for a while.
Zhi Ling Tan
the whole concept of this book is quite interesting. dissecting emotions and conditions mathematically into its components appealed to my inner geek, but I found the explanations for the various equations rather fuzzy. still, each equation is a useful summary for those who can't be bothered to remember tons of words, and for those who want to share some quote-worthy life wisdom.
Ashton Fourie
Nov 20, 2016 Ashton Fourie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Understanding Feeling

Conley's approach makes it possible to take that which generally seems like just a stream of feeling, and identify it into its components. Helping us understand how these components interact, he enables us to take concrete action to living a more fulfilling and meaningful life at an emotional level.
Lauren
Jul 21, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book one could read over and over and use as a reference. Chip puts together what seem to be simple equations, but they are brilliant and complex. This book can really change your perspective and understanding of thoughts and emotions. My husband is facinated and has not put it down, and he is re-reading it immediately after the first read!
Edgar
May 06, 2013 Edgar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UCSF ABOG Book Club
Interesting examples in connecting Conley's "equations" of human emotions. I like his Poet Maya Angelou to various psychology gurus sayings. It makes it more memorable and related to our day to day lives. Always wished to take Conley's career path.... But he is one of a kind... Overall, a good read.
Ann Oliveri
Aug 17, 2012 Ann Oliveri rated it it was amazing
Name it, claim it, frame it.

High flying entrepreneur, speaker, author Chip Conley shares his method of mastering emotion in the face of tragedy, giving us all the means to harness the power of our emotions so we have them, they don't have us.

Calling = Pleasure/Pain
Percy M. Cannon
Jul 18, 2012 Percy M. Cannon rated it really liked it
Innovative way of presenting self-development concepts.
Best chapter: The one on wisdom
Best quote: A prayer attributed to Reinhold Niebuhr: "God, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".
  • "I Love You More Than My Dog": Five Decisions That Drive Extreme Customer Loyalty in Good Times and Bad
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Post-College Guide to Happiness
  • Shine: How to Survive and Thrive at Work
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • Small Message, Big Impact: The Elevator Speech Effect
  • Thoughtless Acts?: Observations on Intuitive Design
  • The Power of Unpopular: A Guide to Building Your Brand for the Audience Who Will Love You (and why no one else matters)
  • Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free
  • The Laws of Subtraction: Six Simple Rules for Winning in the Age of Excess Everything
  • At Left Brain, Turn Right
  • Do You Matter? How Great Design Will Make People Love Your Company
  • Blah Blah Blah: What To Do When Words Don't Work
  • Zappos Experience
  • Tin Soldier (Seven Halos, #2)
  • The Zigzag Principle: The Goal Setting Strategy That Will Revolutionize Your Business and Your Life
  • Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive
  • Your Playlist Can Change Your Life: 10 Proven Ways Your Favorite Music Can Revolutionize Your Health, Memory, Organization, Alertness and More
At the age of 26, Chip Conley started his own hospitality company, Joie de Vivre (JDV), and, as CEO for two-dozen years, expanded it into a collection of over 35 award-winning hotels, restaurants and spas – the second largest boutique hotel company in the U.S. The bestselling author of PEAK, Chip is a veteran practitioner of emotional intelligence in business and in his latest book, EMOTIONAL EQUA ...more
More about Chip Conley...

“Anxiety = Uncertainty x Powerlessness” 4 likes