Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Hawkeye” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Hawkeye

Ultimate Comics Hawkeye

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Hawkeye's back in a bad way. Armed and dangerous, Clint Barton is tasked with his most perilous mission yet. And what he discovers will revererate across the entire Ultimate Universe. Tasked on a covert and dangerous mission, Hawkeye finds himself in the middle of an international arms race--but on the brink of obtaining a serum that will change the course of mutant histor ...more
Published February 1st 2012 by Marvel (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Hawkeye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Hawkeye

Nikki
Ultimate Hawkeye seems to be the jumping off point for a larger plot about "the People", who are like mutants and are staging a revolution. It isn't really about Hawkeye being a badass, but nor is it like Matt Fraction's take on Hawkeye where he's more like an ordinary guy. Hickman's Hawkeye is... kinda badass, kinda snarky, definitely Fury's right hand man.

It's okay, but I'm not that interested in reading more. I was most interested by the part Bruce Banner/Hulk played in this, I think, the way
Sam Quixote
There’s trouble a-brewing in South East Asia as some kind of supervillains wreak havoc in the major cities, and Nick Fury dispatches Hawkeye to deal with it. I think Hawkeye is really the weakest of the Avengers, take away his bow and arrows and he’s basically Bullseye only not as crazy.

The book’s villains have to be among the blandest created yet. They’re imaginatively called “the People” and the serum that turned them into eternal gods from regular humans is called “the Serum” and the source
SA
Dear Ultimates,

HAWKEYE DOES NOT HAVE SPECIAL POWERS.

But thanks for making a book about just him anyway.

Always 50-50 on your titles,
me.
Jeff
The man with the deadliest aim in the Ultimate universe goes on a solo mission that has a serious impact on his universe in this collection by Jonathan Hickman.

This story not only gives us some of Clint Barton's back story, but also gives us the Ultimate's version of both Xorn and the phrase "No more mutants." Clint is called into a grave situation in southeast Asia, as tensions are erupting with the results of a deadly arms race reaching a fever pitch.

A fast paced read, nothing ground breaking
David
This isn't one of the stronger books in the Ultimates universe, but it's fairly entertaining. The story is short and the pace is quick, so anyone with half an hour to kill could read this and move on with their lives.

The story is the biggest weak point. While it's nothing too terribly boring or clichéd (it's not original, but a cool idea nonetheless), my biggest problem is that the story seems designed solely to set up a race of man-made mutants, which then only appear in a few books after this
Mike
Fun, moves along at a quick pace, gets us interested in a whole new piece to the Ultimate Universe puzzle. Hickman gives us a Clint Barton with a chip on his shoulder, focused and determined but a little wild too. Sexy 21st century Hawkeye.

Gets off to a quick start - action movie style. And some fun battles and villains. Felt like it was over too soon.

I've tried to think of something more to write about the book in this review for three days now after finishing the book. I finally realised that
Gayle Francis Moffet
Hickman writes a strong story, as always, and gives us plenty of action and moments of Hawkeye being the known, hard-working person he is. His relationship with Fury, one of mutual respect and trust, is interesting and nice to see. Hawkeye's past is possibly even darker than it is in 616, but this is the Ultimates universe, so that's not really a surprise.

The problem with this book rests on one very small detail: In 616 Marvel, Hawkeye is a perfectly average human being with an extraordinary ski
Martin
"There's an urgent mission only one man can handle." Hey, is this a comic book or this year's Die Hard? Lines like that usually guarantee I walk away and pick something else. But, y'know, I'm just getting back into the whole Ultimate line and I thought maybe this book might be relevant to the over-arching storyline. I guess we'll find out down the line if and when Hickman ties up all the eventual loose ends of his run when he leaves the title...

First thing that came to mind while reading this bo
Alan
With The Red Wing, Red Mass for Mars and FF I really thought writer Jonathan Hickman was a comer. If this hadn't been so short I would have tossed it completely aside. The usual attractiuon for me with character mini-series is a chance to have a story where depth is added to the character.

Here, zero, a complete zero as to adding to the reader's understanding of who Clint Barton is and why he ended up part of The Program (nor are we told what the program is). In addition, I am growing more irrita
Sonic
This feels like it might be the work of a young Hickman. Is it? I dunno.
It shows his penchant for high-falutin' sci-fi concepts, ... it also shows (unfortunately) his lack of effort in character development,
and though this was enjoyable,
it was not nearly as strong as much of his other (more recent?) work.
missMHO
Hawkeye is one of my favourite charactes of all time... Except for Ultimates' verse. I enjoyed reading it, but something felt off the whole time. I tried to find something to like in the Ultimates but looks like it won't be among my fav series.
Anchorpete
After reading the first few issues of Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates, By Jonathan Hickman, I was slightly confused, but I was able to decipher what was going on. My main question was "Is Hickman so bold that he would throw us into such a complex story and have us figure it out?" While Hickman does something like this on a much smaller scale in his other works, I needed to read Ultimate Comics Hawkeye to see how the whole conflict began.
With this first piece in place, it created this fantastic t
Dan
Better than I thought it was going to be. Of course Marvel revamped a few characters for this line,and made them more modern and contemporary. Slow start but picked up before the end.
Holden Attradies
I was really hoping this would be awesome but it was pretty disappointing. My biggest disappointment is "super villains take over the world and threaten EVERYONE" has become VERY old in the Ultimate line. It seems to have been used so many times now that it just plays off as unbelievable and no longer threatening, something the Ultimate universe had been trying to avoid originally.

I also REALLY didn't like the art for Hawkeye within the comic. The cover art was great, but inside the book he jus
Federiken Masters
Arranca lento y medio aburrido, después va zafando hasta el nudo, y desenlaza de una manera aceptable. Y creo que eso es todo lo que tengo que decir al respecto...
La Revistería Comics
Especial con la miniserie íntegra protagonizada por el Hawkeye ultimatizado. Incluye extras con bocetos y anotaciones del dibujante.
Brian
Ultimate Comics Hawkeye introduces several important plot points into the post-Death of Spider-Man Ultimate Comics world. There's the Serum that creates super mutants, the twin brothers of Xorn and Zorn in Tian, as well as enjoying a story with Hawkeye, the Mutant X team and the Hulk.

It's important to the overall story line, but nothing really stands out. I will say I enjoyed seeing more of Hawkeye as this is the Ultimate Marvel Universe, so there's not as much time spent on some characters as i
Joe Odran Doran
Hawkeye gets a lot of stick for being "the least exciting" of the Ultimates, but while there might be some truth to that in terms of his superpowers (or lack thereof, it isnt really clear) his character has always been good as far as im concerned.
This tpb really delves into his back history with Nick Fury, and the result is a well crafted and at times touching interaction between the two.
As for the plot, its a good mix of action and intrigue, and serves to whet your appetite for the newest Ulti
Emma
Lynn
Meh. Not my favorite Hawkeye title.
Taleisin
A solid Hawkeye adventure, this time our favourite archer is up against a group of super mutants called "The People". We also get some flashbacks to his backstory. According to this mythos, Hawkeye actually has super powers. His eyes see everything in high contrast and he's able to adjust the focal length of his vision. That's kinda cool. Although I'm not sure how I feel about him having super powers.

A quick read, but a good one.
Mely
Feb 08, 2012 Mely marked it as read-seq-art
Shelves: comics
Some interesting world-building changes going on here, but this doesn't have much about Hawkeye as a character -- a little bit about his recruitment by Fury, but if you're wondering how he's dealing with the murder of his girlfriend and children by a trusted colleague, keep wondering.

I also don't love the character design, even aside from Hawkeye's hair changing from blond to brunet apparently at random.
John
I just didn't care much for this "Ultimate" version of Hawkeye. It is pretty much just a war comic with lots of action featuring a bad-ass special forces guy who happens to be an expert with a high-tech bow and arrow who also happens to be named Hawkeye. Not much character depth here. I prefer the "old-school" Hawkeye, goofy purple costume and all.
Shannon Appelcline
A fair enough comic. The writing is good and there’s some interesting background on Hawkeye. The problem is that it feels largely redundant. There’s just enough new info here that you want to read it in addition to the contemporary Ultimates, but there’s not enough to actually make it feel very revelatory.
Alex Sarll
It's clear from his other work that Hickman can do politics, and he can do the experience of transcendence as corollary to superhuman evolution, and he can do new spins on Marvel concepts. So why does this mix of the three feel so much like an also-ran early-noughties Wildstorm comic?
Daniel Butcher
Okay take on Hawkeye. I like how they explain his ablity, more rods than cones but muscles that impact ablity to focus.

Thought it was intresting he sees things basically black and white.
Craig
It was just all right. Not really much happens in this collection. The art is okay. It all ties into the larger goings-on in the Ultimates universe, but it pretty unfulfilling as a standalone story.
Anne Barwell
First Hawkeye comic I've read. Nice artwork but must admit found it annoying to get the end of the story only to have it continued elsewhere.
Michael
Hickman strikes again with some great twists on the Ultimate Version of some interesting Marvel characters.
Elena

"Yo nunca fallo". Aparentemente yo sí, eligiendo cómics...
  • Hawkeye: Blindspot
  • Ultimate Elektra, Vol. 1: Devil's Due
  • Thor/Loki: Blood Brothers
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 8: Unfixable
  • Batman: Eye of the Beholder
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally uneventful, date. But at
More about Jonathan Hickman...
The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise The Nightly News Avengers, Vol. 1: Avengers World East of West #1