Start by marking “Raymond Chandler: Four Complete Novels: The Big Sleep / Farewell My Lovely / The High Window / The Lady in the Lake” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Raymond Chandler: Four...

Raymond Chandler

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A Raymond Chandler omnibus containing the first four Philip Marlowe novels. These novels include The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely, The High Window, and The Lady in the Lake.
Published September 24th 1986 by Random House Value Publishing (first published December 1st 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Raymond Chandler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raymond Chandler

Dave
Mar 15, 2009 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves
What a stylist. Like listening to great jazz.
Mike
Mar 17, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't have a lot of experience with early detective fiction in the hard-boiled or noir vein so this was something different for me. I enjoyed all these novels to varying degrees. One of the things that was fun and added to the mystery and puzzle of the stories was the old slang and analogies used in the descriptions and wisecracks -- "She gave me a smile I could feel in my hip pocket" "She had eyes like strange sins" "women who should be young but have faces like stale beer" -- it gave a whole ...more
Jorge
Oct 03, 2007 Jorge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a damned fine collection of hard-boiled detective classics. You get four of Chandler's best Philip Marlowe novels in one hardcover compilation.

"The Raymond Chandler Omnibus" is out of print, but used copies can be found rather cheaply online.

This is a great place to start if you're new to the world of Chandler's crime fiction. Or, if you're looking to replace your beat-up paperback editions, you can acquire "The Big Sleep," "Farewell, My Lovely," "The High Window" and "The Lady in the L
Donald
Jan 18, 2013 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume collects the first four Philip Marlowe novels - The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely, The High Window, and The Lady in the Lake. I had read the first two previously, so I won't recap my reviews of them. The High Window was a nice, crisp read with the plot revolving around Marlowe being hired to recover a stolen gold doubloon coin. In a world of femme fatales, tough mugs, and a mousey secretary employed by a strange family, the detective goes about searching for clues amidst dead bodies ...more
Patti
Oct 10, 2007 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: locals who love old mysteries
I love Raymond Chandlers quips - they're hysterical - his picture of Los Angeles in the 1930's and 40's is in a word... classic!!
Cathy
Aug 09, 2008 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the movies Bogart made with Sam Spade, and they were true to the book, a delightful read from this genre.
Deborah
Dec 13, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guilty pleasure. I love the writing: quick-witted, snappy one-liners, keeps the action moving quickly.
Bradley
Sep 10, 2009 Bradley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-school
Rereading Farewell My Lovely for Class.
Greg
Nov 23, 2008 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone with dirt under their nails.
HIgh Window
Rob Charpentier
Generally, I find it difficult to review omnibuses and collected works because the merits of some of the stories or novels in them tend to be better than others, which makes an overall opinion of the volume itself difficult to arrive at. However, in this particular one of Chandler’s crime novels, all of which features his iconic detective Philip Marlowe, my life has been made far simpler than I could have ever hoped for in this regard. For, personally, I find none of these stories themselves to ...more
Stephen
Sep 04, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't find the omnibus volume, but have read all the four included at least twice. Have trouble recalling just what happened in each, might pick today The High Window as the one to start with if you are new to Chandler. Odd fact: the author went to the same school as P.G, Wodehouse, Dulwich College. I can't remember if they were there together.
Myles Harrold
May 27, 2014 Myles Harrold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed each of these books separately, but as a whole I couldn't get enough of Raymond Chandler. He has created such a feeling with his writing that you don't want to leave that cool world. I am really inspired to go out and read more of his books just to recapture that cool world and continue living in that world in my mind.
David
Sep 20, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Read all these in 1975-76 as individual books, then acquired this volume later -- perhaps the late 1980s. Great stuff!
Patrick
Sep 28, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems to me that the first two novels Chandler wrote are a bit messier than the next two in this omnibus. Farewell, My Lovely especially seemed to have a lot of red herrings involved at the end. Things are put together a little neater in The High Window and Lady in the Lake. I figured out the twist in Lady in the Lake early on; maybe I remembered it from when I read a book of Chandler's short stories, which he often used as fodder for his novels.

Anyway, if you're going to read noir, you have
Dony Grayman
Jun 21, 2015 Dony Grayman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decto, ed-esp
Integral de Marlowe.
Deb
Aug 07, 2015 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Chandler is similar to the experience of going to New York city, eating at a fine restaurant and saying,"Oh. This is what good food is." Oh. This is what good writing is. Characters I'll never forget. Compelling plot lines. Brilliant descriptions that evoke a precise time and place. A voice.. I can't bring myself to read any more fiction for a while so I can just savor this journey I've been on with him.
Melody
Jan 04, 2016 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveacopy
Philip Marlowe is the best. He's got the attitude, the lines and even if his method doesn't make complete sense - he's going to do his job and solve the case. Even if the case isn't his to solve. I want to go back and watch all the movies too. Humphrey Bogart has the Marlowe character down in The Big Sleep.
Federiken Masters
Sep 08, 2012 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Bucletina
Se lo compró Lagorda Conrulos de ofertaza, pero -aunque no sé cuándo- es obvio que se lo voy a terminar leyendo. Supongo que iré sub-reseñando cada una de las ocho novelas que componen este tomote por separado, pero eso ya le veré cuando me les anime...
Roshni
Sep 15, 2013 Roshni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A great set of Chandler's best stories, Marlowe has a refreshingly cynical view of humanity and an accurate picture od human nature that lends him the perfect tools to solve these complicated murders.
Charles Lavalle
Jun 13, 2013 Charles Lavalle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influences
It's astonishing how many detective-fiction writers Chandler (and Dashiell Hammett before him) have inspired. I came to Chandler first, and I still revisit him often.
Alfonso Rojo Ramírez
He leído la primera novela y, de momento no leo más. La novela magra no es lo mío.
Bernie
Silvia
Silvia added it
May 08, 2016
Jesús Melnibone
Jesús Melnibone is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Deanna Newton
Deanna Newton marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Agustin
Agustin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Joe-Marie
Joe-Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Pequeniosaltamontes
Pequeniosaltamontes rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
hard cover... 1 3 Apr 05, 2014 09:52AM
  • Complete Novels
  • The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps
  • Night in Bombay
  • Murder in the Map Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #17)
  • Mike Hammer: Lady, Go Die!
  • Beau Brummell: The Ultimate Man of Style
  • Selected Works of the Brontë Sisters: Jane Eyre / Villette / Wuthering Heights / Agnes Grey / The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
  • The Science Fiction Century
  • The Ferguson Affair
  • Si è suicidato il Che
  • Firefly Gadroon (Lovejoy, #6)
  • Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)
  • The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
  • Selected Works of Virginia Woolf
Raymond Thornton Chandler was an American novelist and screenwriter.

In 1932, at age forty-four, Raymond Chandler decided to become a detective fiction writer after losing his job as an oil company executive during the Depression. His first short story, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot", was published in 1933 in Black Mask, a popular pulp magazine. His first novel, The Big Sleep, was published in 1939. In
More about Raymond Chandler...