Start by marking “The Only Thing I Have” as Want to Read:
The Only Thing I Have

The Only Thing I Have

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  1 review

"In succinct, Carveresque prose, Waterfall creates remarkable protagonists obsessed with starlet pixies, squash, lost infants, pregnant throats, ghosts in telephone poles and above all the sheer longing requisite in being alive."--Adam Lewis Schroeder, author of "Kingdom of Monkeys"

Rhonda Waterfall evokes A.M. Homes and Alice Munro in these unsettling, evocatively written

Published April 1st 2010 by Arsenal Pulp Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Only Thing I Have, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Only Thing I Have

Pooker
These stories reminded me of those by Alice Munro in that they are about ordinary people going about their ordinary lives. Except that with these people there is something off kilter and unsettling.

In "Fatty", neighbours are intent upon getting a fat man to leave the neighbourhood.

In "One Last Note" Petra and David, a married couple, organize their chores to be done with post-it notes stuck to the fridge - they "liked to know what had to be done." Petra discovers a note in her datebook saying
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Kirstie Allen
Kirstie Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Erica
Erica added it
Aug 04, 2013
Kylie Rayner
Kylie Rayner marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Rhonda Waterfall
Feb 13, 2013 Rhonda Waterfall rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shivanee (Novel Niche)
Shivanee (Novel Niche) marked it as to-read
May 20, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2012
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
May 17, 2010
Non
Non marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2010
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2009
Rhonda Waterfall is the author of The Only Thing I Have a collection of short stories published by Arsenal Pulp Press. She studied creative writing with the Writer’s Studio at Simon Fraser University. Her work has appeared in several literary journals. She currently lives in Toronto.
More about Rhonda Waterfall...