Start by marking “Death in the Woods and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Death in the Woods and Other Stories

Death in the Woods and Other Stories

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Still fresh and strikingly contemporary, the stark realism of these stories carefully explores the dreams and emotions of Sherwood Anderson's unforgettable characters. In Death in the Woods, we travel deep into the heart of America as Anderson saw it, to find an introspective man, in a desolate landscape, questioning the very meaning of his world.

"Death in the Woods is a s
Published April 17th 2006 by Liveright (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Woods and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Woods and Other Stories

Matthew
I thought I knew Sherwood Anderson, and then I read this story collection. These stories were written late in his career. They are so direct that I often forgot I was reading a story, and felt like I was listening to a man talk. He really captures that.

Anderson was a very sensitive man. He was touched by all the details in life. He is only capturing the music of life. He doesn't preach. He was the American Chekhov, and maybe the equal of Chekhov. Some of these stories cut me deep, but a wonderfu
rachel
I think that Sherwood Anderson at his best is an incredible writer. Check out Winesburg, Ohio, the title story in this collection, or any of his stories on the topic of women for proof of this, especially "There She Is -- Taking Her Bath". But aside from the title story and all of his other stories of womanhood -- full of that Jazz Age combination of charm, insight, and sexism -- I found at least half of this collection really tough to get into or care about. Stories of so-called "mountain peopl ...more
Carl Brush
My last encounter with Sherwood Anderson was with his disappointing Dark Laughter. A friend encouraged me not to give up on him, however, and guided me to Death in the Woods and other stories. Some people, I guess, can write superb short stories, but can't stretch out to longer works.

The Title story here is compelling and grisly, and unmerciful look at rural life in a savage and loveless family. Hemingway has nothing on Anderson when it comes to the short sentence, and that suits the stark descr
Eldonfoil TH*E Whatever Champion
Well, ain't this a goddamn boring group of stories. Put ya' ta sleep.
But there's a ghost creepin' through 'em that ya' might not know about, in behind 'em ya' see. It's creakin' in my mind right now, seein' as nobody oils it much 'round here no mo'. If ya can catch a glimpse of it, might move ya' ta tears.
Rowland Bismark
“A Death in the Woods,” the title story of his 1933 anthology of short fiction, is generally considered Anderson’s finest and most characteristic short story. In it, an unnamed narrator is haunted by a memory from his childhood. In an attempt to understand the enigmatic incident, he returns to the story again and again, seeming to circle closer to the truth with each telling. In composing “A Death in the Woods,” Anderson went through a similar process. Although the story was published in 1933, A ...more
علی
مرگ در جنگل، شروود آندرسن، 1933، مجموعه داستانی ست که در سال های 1926 تا 1930 نوشته شده؛ بازگشت، آخرین داستان، ستیز، مانند یک ملکه، در شهری عجیب، کوهنوردان، یک سفر احساساتی، همسر دیگر، دیدار از جنوب، رودخانه، چرا آنها ازدواج کردند، برادر مرگ، و... بالاخره داستان مشهور "مرگ در جنگل"، که از زبان یک پیر زن روایت می شود. زن و شوهرش که بنظر می رسد یک اسب دزد باشد، در حاشیه ی جنگل زندگی می کنند، از دو فرزندشان، دختر مرده، و پسر که زنده مانده، شبیه پدر است. زن که گذشته ای غمناک داشته، در خانه ی یک آلما ...more
Claudia Putnam
Three stars overall, five for some stories, less for others, as is usual with story collections.
Vicky
Mar 10, 2014 Vicky added it
Shelves: ditw
DVFHGUFYGUYF
v v
There are books I read for enjoyment, others for my writing life. This collection from S Anderson magically captures both. A story last year I worked on, was modeled after the self-title short.
Why read: Sherwood manages to present casual setting/plots, with rich complex characters. . . invested in the psychology of gestures and process of thinking-- why do people do things, what are they thinking, and also isn't it ODD that things happen this way?
Shelly Fromholtz
A wonderful collection of short stories that explore the nature of relationships, how we communicate with each other, and how we cope and what we tell ourselves to endure. Place and setting also play important roles - mainly in the Virginia mountains - helping to set the tone and mood of each story. The images are sure to stay with me. Great writing!
Renuka
Short, but creepy and haunting. The tragic tale of a woman's harsh, unforgiving life seen through the eye's of a narrator who draws parallels between his own life. The death is eerie, mysterious, and unforgettable as the dogs, (or more wolves really) circle around her for one last feeding.
Elizabeth Eslami
How much do I love this book, and the title story in particular? I can say it simply, and without hyperbole: "Death in the Woods" is the best story I have ever read, and I would give most anything to have written it.
Rachel
I actually only read the title story from this collection. Interesting story with an investigation into the human condition through storytelling and perspective.
Michelle Ruedin
These stories touch some truth I know inside my soul every time I read them - in particular "In a Strange Town"
Michelle
Death in the Woods is one of my favorite short stories. I would recommend this to anyone.
Cindy
the father of the modern american short story. a must read for short story lovers.
Julia
I feel that this is one of the stories that changed my taste in literature forever.
Evan Oare
Read the title story (excellent) and don't bother with the rest.
Fatih can
this is the best book I have ever read
Ben
Sherwood Anderson is a master. Period.
Shivangi
Shivangi marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Margarita Shikiryanskaya
Margarita Shikiryanskaya marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 14, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Diana Nguyen
Diana Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Luke
Luke marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Francesca Daizovi
Francesca Daizovi marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
  • Given Ground
  • The Wind Among the Reeds
  • Mercy
  • Complete Poems
  • The Night the New Jesus Fell to Earth and Other Stories from Cliffside, North Carolina
Sherwood Anderson was an American writer who was mainly known for his short stories, most notably the collection Winesburg, Ohio. That work's influence on American fiction was profound, and its literary voice can be heard in Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Thomas Wolfe, John Steinbeck, Erskine Caldwell and others.

From PBS.org:
Sherwood Anderson, (1876-1941), was an American short-story writer a
More about Sherwood Anderson...
Winesburg, Ohio The Egg and Other Stories Poor White The Portable Sherwood Anderson Certain Things Last: The Selected Short Stories

“People keep on getting married. Evidently hope is eternal in the human breast.” 9 likes
“All good New Orleanians go to look at the Mississippi at least once a day. At night it is like creeping into a dark bedroom to look at a sleeping child--something of that sort--gives you the same warm nice feeling, I mean.” 7 likes