Start by marking “Brother Juniper's Bread Book: Slow Rise As Method and Metaphor” as Want to Read:
Brother Juniper's Bread Book: Slow Rise As Method and Metaphor

Brother Juniper's Bread Book: Slow Rise As Method and Metaphor

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
This classic guide to artisanal bread is back with a fresh new look, just in time to take advantage of the recent surge in popularity of at-home baking. As an award-winning baker and member of a religious brotherhood, Peter Reinhart skillfully blends the two aspects of his life in this eloquent guide to creating wonderful bread. More than 30 delicious recipes, from perfect ...more
Published October 1st 1991 by Perseus Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Brother Juniper's Bread Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brother Juniper's Bread Book

Norma
Oct 13, 2011 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read all the way thru the book yet, it's kinda been buried in the pile, but I did make the first bread recipe with good results. 5/24/11

Oct. 2011 Update: I finally had a chance to revisit this book and I have 3 loaves of Struan rising on the counter right now. I really liked the way Peter Reinhart linked bread making to life. The anecdotes are as important to the book as the recipes. I thought the book would have more on pre-fermentation than it did.
Heather
Feb 22, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love good bread and making it.
This was the first book that really helped me understand how good bread is made. It's sort of a recipe/philosophy book all in one. I loved it and found it an interesting read as well as good for recipes. The author has learned a lot since writing this book, as evidenced by his books written since then, but this one was the one that helped me learn and love to make bread to feed the soul as well as the body.
Gary Mesick
Oct 14, 2009 Gary Mesick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You could read this book without being a baker because its message is spiritual, rather than culinary. But I use it as a bread technique book--and it works quite well. It won't replace Bernard Clayton's bread book (Clayton is more concerned with recipes than my soul), but it makes an excellent companion, especially if you have set aside the bread pans and are making artisan loaves.
Hadyn Kihm
Apr 22, 2016 Hadyn Kihm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe Reinhart's most accessible cookbook. A great intro to bread baking. It's everything you want in a cookbook- clear writing, easy recipes to build confidence, and an author with a unique voice and perspective. At times it's incredibly funny, but mostly touching. The original subtitle was "slow rise as method and metaphor," which describes this book well. I have read and loved many of Reinhart's books over the years, and what I most appreciate is that he doesn't consider himself a 'master' of ...more
Libroslibra
Mar 01, 2016 Libroslibra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world of hurry, Peter Reinhart reminds us to slow down and savor the simplest things. I learned to bake bread from this book. Struan is glorious stuff. I also learned to slow down and enjoy the journey through life.
Spook Harrison
Sep 17, 2013 Spook Harrison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: Taken By Communion
Shelves: recipes
Enjoying the insight into the various aspects of bread making, and the diverse recipes. Liking the points made about communion, dough rising, dough vs. bread, religion and spirituality...yes. I picked it up because it was recommended by another book on spirituality, and while the various reflections (p. 190 esp.) by the author are well said, I also was dying to try out some of the recipes by the end!
Mara Shaw
Mar 14, 2012 Mara Shaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Reinhart is brilliant, even if his books are as full of self-promotion as bread is with gluten. His Struan is lovely and his spirituality is peppered throughout the book like raisins in a cinnamon bagel. It's a fresh taste compared to all of the more analytical approaches. I just can't read too much of him, though, as his books seem largely repetitive, although the recipes are new.
Samantha
Mar 12, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-cookery
May I recommend the poppy seed muffins? Very good. And a nice interesting reading cookbook. I have yet to make the other recipes but I think that this book is well worth a look.
And as an update I have since made the Struan and the Oreganato and both were good. The Struan was my preference and I am currently trying a wholewheat version.
wes Goertzen
Feb 17, 2009 wes Goertzen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readingpleasure
Good for making bread.

Good for reading.
Charith Ubeysekera
Charith Ubeysekera rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Kim Jacobson
Kim Jacobson marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Rick
Rick is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2016
Steven Weinberger
Steven Weinberger marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Jadepearl
Jadepearl rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
John Phippen
John Phippen marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Florin
Florin rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Mary E Hansson
Mary E Hansson rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Manoj Menon
Manoj Menon marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Becky Street
Becky Street marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Mary D.
Mary D. marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Book Hunt (PAS)
Book Hunt (PAS) marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Horticultural
Horticultural marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Kassie
Kassie rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Michelle Livingston
Michelle Livingston rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Carolien Bell
Carolien Bell marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
  • The Handmade Loaf
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Rose's Christmas Cookies
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World
  • Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World
  • Luscious Lemon Desserts
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • Save the Deli: In Search of Perfect Pastrami, Crusty Rye, and the Heart of Jewish Delicatessen
  • Chez Panisse Fruit