Start by marking “Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER, YOU'LL LEARN ALL THREE ASPECTS OF WHAT IT TAKES TO CREATE STUNNING PORTRAITS
"(HINT: IT'S NOT JUST THE LIGHTING)
Scott Kelby, the world's #1 best-selling author of photography books, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher of "Photoshop User" magazine, and Publisher of the just-released "Light It "magazine, has reinvented how lighting books are written by fi
Published September 11th 2011 by New Riders Publishing (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It

Dave Edens
I received this book as a prize for winning my local groups World Wide Photo Walk this year. At the time I had no studio lighting equipment and was not sure how much use I would get out of it, but new the writing would be classic Scott Kelby so there had to be something in there for me. Turns out nearly every chapter has something every photographer can use. There are loads of tips in the retouching sections for any type of shooter, and some of the lighting tips help make you more aware of light ...more
Kerri
Quick read but great as a reference to return to frequently when I get more lighting equipment.
Katsu
This book is not about a studio, not about a light and not about shot. It is ONLY about Retouch.
And it would be OK if title suggests that. But it doesn't. Subtitle suggests that this book will learn you how to make photo starting from empty studio. So unfortunately this is also a lie. Lights configuration is shown and no decision process or any kind of detailed explanation why is no mentioned. Also there are no information why this frame was chosen for further retouch.
I expected also lights and
Dominic Forbes
Easy to follow. Mainly about Photoshopping after a shoot. The lighting set ups aren't very detailed in a technical sense but good food for thought if you have the equipment. I use PS everyday and learnt several new techniques.
A good introduction and easy to see how to delve further elsewhere.
Dicky stefanus
Really nice. He can combine many gears, and really offer great tips how really to do it (based on the experience). Like the part to get a studio light with wheels. The language is easy to comprehend, and its make the reader wonder where is d next book about.
Sarah Whisted
I think this book will come in more handy for me further down my journey to photographer. Perhaps it's a little beyond my current status. I don't have a lot of the suggested equipment and apparently have a lot more to learn about my camera's functions before I can put them to use properly. I also do not have photoshop as an editing means (I bought a separate book for the program I do have). Still, I think the set-ups will come in handy one day and at least now I know what kind of equipment I sho ...more
Carolyn
Enjoyed the seminar based on this and the book is a wonderful "how-to" guide. There were this ideas presented here that myself and a friend were surprised and amused to find the teachers in our photography school would never consider... Or would down right say would never be acceptable "in the real world".

Scott Kelby may first and foremost be a marketer, but in the world of photography he has his finger firmly on the pulse of popular techniques and trends.
Elizabeth
I found this extremely useful for step-by-step post-processing guidance in Photoshop. The "retouch it" was more helpful to me than the "light it" and "shoot it" aspects, but it will be different for every reader/user. The eBook is fantastically well organised - it's clear a lot of thought went into producing it. It's one I'll refer back to, I'm sure.
Reem  Alshaikh
كتاب ليس للقراءه بقدر مايجب ان يملكه كل مصور محترف
لمعرفه الاضاءاه والتعديل والتصوير
كتاب جدا رائع سيلازمني دائما من حيث التطبيق والتفاصيل
من المواقف الطريفه ان لم اكن املك مبلغ الكتاب ولكن اكتشفت بعد شرائي لعده كتب ان سأحصل على كوبون بسعر الكتاب فكان من نصيبي
وتستعيره صديقاتي المصورات
Stephanie
Using as a reference book more than something to read straight through. I just started working with lighting, though I've done some Photoshop work over the years. Scott Kelby has great instruction videos online so the book is a bonus.
Rebecca Bridges
Scott Kelby books are always so easy to follow along with and "Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It" is no exception! There are some great techniques laid out "step by step" for even the most amateur photographer.
Jakenv
Kelby books are always informative. Would recommend to any new or semi experienced DSLR users who want to rev up their ability while processing is an additional bonus.
Lisa
Excellent for understanding lighting placement and how to touch up after and it doesn't require a major investment in equipment.
Ahamd Mesallm
اذا كنت محب لتصوير الأستديو فهذا الكتاب سيساعدك على فهم توزيع الأضاءة و معالجة صورة البورترية بالفتوشوب
Denise
A great step-by-book for anyone interested in perfecting their studio lighting skills.
Fatimah Al Shabeeb
أحببت تفاصيل الشرح المرفقة بالصور والمعدات ومراعاة سكولبي للبدائل الغير متوفرة
Saud
Saud marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Marlon
Marlon added it
Feb 11, 2015
Eliza Bennet
Eliza Bennet is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2015
Michael Bowen
Michael Bowen marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Mbindeemas
Mbindeemas marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Robin-Hood Truefriend
Robin-Hood Truefriend is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Abdarhman Kashwaa
Abdarhman Kashwaa marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Noura
Noura marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
  • People Pictures: 30 Exercises for Creating Authentic Photographs
  • On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Picture Perfect Practice: A Self-Training Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Taking World-Class Photographs (Voices That Matter)
  • Night Photography: Finding Your Way In The Dark
  • Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images
  • The Print (Ansel Adams Photography, #3)
  • Creative Black & White: Digital Photography Tips & Techniques
  • Understanding Close-Up Photography: Creative Close Encounters with Or Without a Macro Lens
  • The Passionate Photographer: Ten Steps Toward Becoming Great
  • The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • Mountain Light: In Search of the Dynamic Landscape
  • Composition: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Scott Kelby is an American author and publisher of periodicals dealing in Macintosh and Personal Computer software, specifically for design professionals, photographers, and artists.

Kelby is editor and publisher of Photoshop User and Layers magazines, president and co-founder of the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP) and is president of Kelby Media Group, an Oldsmar, Florida-ba
More about Scott Kelby...
The Digital Photography Book (Volume 1) The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2) The Digital Photography Book (Volume 3) The Digital Photography Book (Volume 4) The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers