Start by marking “The Wedding Beat” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Beat

Read Excerpt

The Wedding Beat

Sometimes the best man isn't even in the wedding party...

Gavin Greene is a hopeless romantic. He's also a professional one: he writes the wedding column for a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, covering spectacular parties from coast to coast. But there's a thin line between being a hotshot reporter on assignment...and being a single guy alone on a Saturday night at someone
Published April 3rd 2012 by NAL (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Beat

Bells
Mar 07, 2012 Bells rated it it was amazing
After being in a reading funk for a few weeks I needed a certain book to help me get out of it. When I received The Wedding Beat on my doorstep, I read what it was about and was instantly excited to read it. It was the right book that I needed at that moment and it had me tearing up while reading about Gavin Green's journey to find true love. I loved that this story was about a male character that just wanted to fall in love with the woman of his dreams. Finding "the one" is not easy for men eit ...more
Lil
Nov 25, 2013 Lil rated it liked it
Cute read. It's like a male POV of 27 dresses (with a more whiny James Marsden character)
Marisa
Apr 02, 2012 Marisa rated it really liked it
The Wedding Beat is a unique and welcome look at love and romance from one man’s perspective. It has a fast paced dynamic rhythm that echoes the cadence and energy of New York City with a wonderful underlying pulse quickly capturing your imagination and immediately putting you in the mind’s eye of the protagonist - newspaper columnist Gavin Greene.

Gavin writes a wedding column for a Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper and his job constantly surrounds him with happy couples who are about to take th
The Bumble Girl {Margie}
Feb 12, 2012 The Bumble Girl {Margie} rated it really liked it
If you like romance... the Nicholas Spark type of romance...
and if you liked the movie 27 Dresses... this is definitely a book for you to read today!

The Wedding Beat, which was released today, is funny, sweet and although it comes from a male point of view, it is a relate-able story for anyone who has ever felt that they have lingered around a moment too long in the dating-world.

This book is about a guy looking for true love;
But not just any guy - Gavin is a wedding columnist for a prestigio
Sara
Feb 06, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Gavin is a reporter for a big newspaper in New York, where he writes the popular stories about weddings, traveling to various events each weekend to cover the wedding and write up the couple. Despite continually going to weddings and being a romantic, he's single and doesn't understand why. At a party, he meets Melinda, who he falls for almost immediately, but she disappears without giving him her number. Gavin unsuccessfully tries to find her, even goes out on dates with other women, ...more
Patti K
Jun 04, 2012 Patti K rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I didn't hate it. It was more than ok in some parts, not that great in others. Personally, I don't get what anyone thought was LOL funny about this story, period. Am I missing something? I don't think I laughed more than once or twice. Sometimes he used amusing analogies, but it didn't make me pee my pants laughing. You want a funny contemporary romance story, read some Jill Shalvis or Kristan Higgins. This wasn't funny. It wasn't horrible, it wasn't exactly sad, but it was NOT funny. ...more
Katrina Milly Alcantara
Jan 29, 2013 Katrina Milly Alcantara rated it really liked it
It's my first time to read a novel from a male's perspective, and oh- boy i really enjoyed it. This is not the usual chick lit you'd read where a girl go crazy over a man hoping he'd notice her. This is the other way around.

Well, there were parts where I think that Gavin's character is more appropriate for a female character (maybe because i'm fond of reading romance where the female is the romantic one), but overall the way how the story ended was really good! It's the typical ending you'd see
Samantha Janning
Apr 03, 2012 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it
Gavin Greene is a writer for a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, but he doesn’t write a column on stocks or sports. No, he writes the wedding column, which suits this romantic at heart. Still reeling from a bad breakup, Gavin is searching for that right woman...and finds her New Years Eve night at a party. Melinda. Gavin’s One. But when she slips out early, Gavin is left to search for the woman whose last name he isn’t even privy too. Can Gavin find her before someone else sweeps her away?

I thou
Jeanne "Jem"
May 02, 2012 Jeanne "Jem" rated it really liked it
It’s no coincidence that the hero in THE WEDDING BEAT reminds the reader of the reporter in the movie 27 DRESSES but the similarity between the stories ends there. Devan Sipher writes a witty, laugh-out-loud funny story about hapless reporter, Gavin Greene. Sipher’s humor is low key and wicked. Lines like – “It was a cross between wedding kitsch and animal cruelty.” (when speaking of a wedding’s petting zoo) and “I liked being spontaneous. I just preferred to do it with a little preparation.” ar ...more
Jenn
Feb 24, 2012 Jenn rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a GoodReads giveaway and i enjoyed it very much :)

The story was very original and brilliant. Gavin was such a great guy and i was hoping the best for him. The book was such a page turner. I was very busy while reading this book but I'm sure if i had the time I'd finish it very quickly.

I read alot of YA but when i read the synopsis for this book i was very interested and was exited when i won it through a giveaway. I don't read much books in a guy's point of view but this book
Babs
Mar 23, 2012 Babs rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance, Comedy
Shelves: romance, comedy
Gavin is a man unlucky when it comes to love. You wishing him luck at times and then feeling for him in his pain. His annoying parents start to make a warm place in your heart.

I was hooked from the beginning. It was nice and funny at times to read a book from a males point of view. Devan brings a nice change to the romance genre. The journey Gavin takes is not easy and it makes you think of your own relationship with your loved one. The banter between the characters is light and fun to read.

The
Megan Haynes
Mar 14, 2012 Megan Haynes rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
Won this in the Goodreads First reads giveaway :)

Hmm. Couldn't put it down in some parts but some parts felt unnecessary; Like several of his dates seemed thrown in despite their lack of importance overall in the story, I suppose.

Melinda...well, I didn't like her. I wanted him to end up with Hope the whole time c;

Uhm, I suppose overall it was good, but too long for such a simple book, ya know? I spent way too much time on it and it's not like I'm different now or something. So I won't be reading
Jen
Feb 17, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.

I really enjoyed this book! When I first started reading the book I was a little thrown by reading a romantic book from the mans point of view. But since the main character Gavin was so easy to relate to, I soon found myself unable to put the book down.

The book had everything a good book should have, it made me laugh, cry and fall in love! I would definitely recommend reading the book and would pick up any more books by this author.
Lora Mays
Mar 25, 2012 Lora Mays rated it it was amazing
Sipher has crafted a wonderful romantic story that will leave you wishing the story never ends. Within the books, Gavin, Melinda and other characters are so developed that you can picture the story unfolding in your head — perhaps as a movie with Rachel McAdams starring as Melinda? If you are a hopeless romantic or anyone who enjoys an entertaining read, this is the book for you.

Read my full review at www.crazybookreviews.com!
Wendy
May 01, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romantic-fiction
This is wedding chick lit at its best! I had high hopes for this novel written by a writer for the Vows column of The New York Times, and Devan Sipher delivers. Witty, clever, and written with a lot of charm and heart, this is a must read for any romantic. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Shelly Bell
Apr 03, 2012 Shelly Bell rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This character is no alpha male. He’s a Hugh Grant (pre-Bridget Jones) or Matthew Perry character. He’s sweet, hopeful and a bit bumbling. You’ll root for him until the very end.

If you enjoy chick lit, you’ll love this book. It’s laugh out loud funny at times and towards the end, I could definitely see the movie potential.

For the full review, visit SpunkyBean at http://goo.gl/CLBx1.
Kim
Apr 03, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for the hopeless romantic. Loved the characters, and pretty much fell in love with Gavin, the main character. It is smart and held my interest till the bitter end. Kudos to author Devan Sipher for the fabulous portrayal of love through a man's eyes. All too often we hear stories of love through the women's point of view; this is a nice change of pace.
Jordan
Mar 06, 2012 Jordan rated it liked it
Slow start, but turned out to be a funny romantic read. Gavin is acharming if awkward protaganist navigating career, life & family in search of true love. He and his family are easy to like and still-single 30-somethings should totally relate! If you like "The Wedding Planner" or "27 Dresses," this book is for you.
Sarah Funke
Apr 09, 2012 Sarah Funke rated it it was amazing
Super fun read for anyone who has dated -- successfully, or unsuccessfully -- in New York...or anywhere else. Actually read this in proof and hadn't realized I never added it to my list. Now you should add it to yours!
Lavanya Sunkara
Mar 04, 2012 Lavanya Sunkara rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. It was nice to get a male's perspective on love in New York City. I hope it becomes a bestseller!
Jen
Apr 06, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fv
Gavin Greene

Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
Jason
Feb 03, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This man is a great romance writer. Kind of like a Nicholas Sparks novel. Really good, please read this book.
Luise
Apr 10, 2015 Luise rated it really liked it
It's a really nice story and I liked the humorous way in which the story was written :)
Victoria
Jan 18, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
4 star review to be published in RTBOOKREVIEWS April issue.
Carol Stanley-Snow
Mar 31, 2012 Carol Stanley-Snow rated it it was amazing
A must read for one and all. The characters come to life. Mr.Sipher has a hit on his hands!
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
I've seen this book described as a romantic comedy, but it's not. It's basically chick lit from a man's perspective. I'm more of a romance reader than a chick lit reader and, for that reason and a few others, I don't think this book was right for me.

That doesn't mean I disliked it. I loved Gavin's “voice” - he was funny, smart (when he wasn't allowing his desperate desire to find himself a girlfriend/future wife override his common sense), and sympathetic. I enjoyed Gavin's interviews with the b
Deborah Nunez
Sep 28, 2016 Deborah Nunez rated it liked it
Wanted a switch up, I was reading some really heavy drama and though it was time to read something fun and romantic. That is what I got! It was fun and definitely romantic and not so predictable like most. Not bad.
Romancing the Book
Mar 21, 2013 Romancing the Book rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Ashleigh
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Review: Gavin Greene is a peculiar man. Not just peculiar, he is definitely not what you would picture as a wedding columnist. As a man with a love for weddings and a strong desire to get hitched some day, he can’t seem to even get up the courage to be assertive with women. There is just something about him that makes you want to love him, while wondering how he has survived on the New York Streets so l
Namrata
Dec 31, 2016 Namrata rated it it was ok
1.75
Meg
Devan Sipher’s The Wedding Beat is, if you’ll pardon the term, dude lit. Chick lit with a goatee. Sipher’s male narrator brings a refreshing change of pace to the classic city love stories I gobble whole — and I couldn’t help but fall for the cute, sweet and occasionally clueless Gavin.

This quick read is the sort of story I escape into during periods of extreme stress, you know? When you need something light, frothy and fun. Though the story meanders into deeper issues at points (the state of jo
Chick Lit Book Club: Romantic Comedy Giveaway 8 49 Apr 04, 2012 10:52AM
  • In the Bag
  • Love in a Carry-on Bag
  • A Summer In Europe
  • Objects of My Affection
  • Dancing Naked in Dixie
  • Talking In Your Sleep... (Harlequin Blaze #365)
  • The Singles
  • The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service
  • Monarch Beach
  • One Good Friend Deserves Another
  • More Like Her
  • A Wedding in Great Neck
  • Lip Service (Butterfield Institute)
  • Someone Else's Love Letter
  • Finding Lucas
  • Wallflower in Bloom
  • Love on the Big Screen
  • Star Fish
Born in LA.

I always thought that would make a good title for my autobiography. Not that I plan on writing one.

I grew up mostly in Southfield, Michigan, which sounds misleadingly bucolic for a suburb of Detroit with more than 27 million square feet of office space.

For the past eight years I've been a writer of the Vows column at The New York Times, and my first novel, The Wedding Beat, was loosely
More about Devan Sipher...

“Everything in life is a choice, and I was choosing to be happy.” 7 likes
“There should be exit interviews for dating. Just a brief evaluation of the highlights and challenges of the relationship, and maybe a few questions like “So what exactly was it that motivated you to dump me?” 7 likes