Outlet

Outlet

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When finance writer Yuki's enigmatic and estranged older brother is found decomposing in his apartment, her only clues to his bizarre demise are her memories of him. As Yuki descends deeper and deeper into her own psyche, she catches glimpses of her true nature.

A brisk, bristling story of survivor's guilt, treacherous sex, and unexpected redemption, Outlet opens the door t...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Vertical

To ask other readers questions about Outlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlet

Madhu
If I could give fewer than one star, I would. This book, billed as an "exciting mystery" that walks on the dark side, was one of the most vulgar, repellent, and truly disgusting things I have ever read. The sex scenes would make even, say, Tiger Woods swear to celibacy, and the bits involving incest and a decomposing corpse that left a liquid stain on tatami mats were perhaps the foulest things committed to print.
Amy Y.
The book Outlet is about Yaki, a twenty eight year old secretary, who finds out that her close brother had mysteriously died in his apartment. Police and detectives made a conclusion that Yaki's brother had died of starvation and malnutrition. However, Yaki thinks that it isn't the case. Yaki soon undergoes her brother's unbearable past and finds a stunning secret that would change her life and her future for her family.

"Wow!" was my first reaction after reading this book! I had no idea that it...more
Monica
I had the chance to translate this book in my own language. This is not an easy piece of writing. These are not words for everybody. It takes lots of faith and openness to enjoy it.
Now... the first time I read it, I felt immediately the English text had lost something in translation. Somthing that is really specific to Japanese style and thinking.
Therefore for my translation I used several versions as a back up, including the Italian one. Point is I analyzed every sentence so intimately and so...more
Sae-chan
A testimony is only as good as the faith the one who listens.

If you don't have a space for metaphysics in your heart, better stay away. And for people who have training in psychology, maybe this book won't sit well in your stomach. I have some sort of faith in the metaphysics and I don't have any training in psychology. That's why this is quite intriguing.

I only wish that doctors open their hearts a little bit more to things that are not yet written in the texbooks. And shamans open their hear...more
Vlady
More of a spiritual journey than what i thought it would be. Yuki, the hero, is deeply characterized by her family and past events. It builds up her past and her unusual present experiences for the end of the book where she undergoes a dramatic transformation that she was unknowingly expecting her whole life. Some interesting concepts about shamanism, vibrations, psychology, and the nature of our world. Although, there is a very mature core to this book with scenes of death as well as sex. The e...more
Rosalie
Outlet by Randy Taguchi is on my top 5 of favorite books. I read the book twice and still am eager to buy this book and read it again. Topics included are shamanism, spirituality, psychology, and death. There are 2 sequels to the novel available in Japanese only, and I may study Japanese, because I keep checking and do not know if translations will ever be available.
Read more of my review here: http://japanesefiction.hubpages.com/h...
Louis
Woeful, self-centred book. It's like early x-files in its desire to include everything remotely weird no matter how tenuously related to the plot, and have the main character repeatedly insist it's all related. To them. God, it even bought Freud in on the party. Unlike other reviewers who seem to think that the sex scenes are the worst part of the book, I would argue that they were perhaps its one redeeming feature.
Avian Jun
I'm truly not sure what to think of this book. Vaguely oversexed yet trying to make it all seem like there's some deeper meaning behind it all. I was not impressed with "her road to discovery", which at times made leaps and bounds that wasn't smooth or even satisfactorily acceptable. It felt a little too planned. At times self-indulgent. Only very moderately interesting.
Pam
Sep 05, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: japan, mystery
rec 09/04 via pbs
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Addison
Addison marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Jacob Allgeier
Jacob Allgeier marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Dani Murray
Dani Murray marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Mubin
Mubin added it
Mar 14, 2014
Kristina Esau
Kristina Esau marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Mikey
Mikey added it
Feb 13, 2014
Tatemyuu
Tatemyuu marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014