Fox (The Vendetta, #1)

Fox (The Vendetta #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A wind whips through the trees, carrying with it the call of Pandora's Box. It will choose one victim, as it does every year, and beckon its quarry to open it. He will have one year to find the box. Or die. Twenty-year-old Fox is heir to the House of Lords, a group dedicated to protecting Pandora's Box from the chosen who seek to open it. When the new chosen kidnaps her fa...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Createspace

Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
When I first saw the cover I knew I was going to read it and I was actually trying to win it from Librarything, but Parrisha was kind enough to give away 5 free copies to those who asked and so I received one. I'm very happy I did because I really enjoyed it, not to mention the cover is gorgeous! I wish I had a paperback copy just so I could look at it in person.

Anyway, cover love aside let me talk about the actual story. The first thing about the summary that drew me in was the promise of mytho...more
Cassandra
Fox is the very first novel of new author Parrisha Martelly. I was surprised at how well written the novel was considering Parrisha is only 21. I still can't believe it. Even though the novel was well written, it was very hard for me to get into while reading it. I would give Fox 3 3/4 stars, but I'm rounding to 4 since there isn't the option. Parts of the story felt as though they were skimmed through, like when movies go to commercial or chop parts out of the story.

Fox is on a mission to save...more
Nicole
The main character Fox, was one that I felt I could understand. She is a loner not by choice but because those in her town are afraid of her. Fox is a very likable lead, she's strong yet not closed off even though others fear her, she still goes out of her way to help those that need her assistance. Fox as the heir to the House of Lords is a warrior, one of the best. I enjoyed learning about Fox's back story which made me like her even more. There are parts of Fox's past that are sad yet most o...more
Ryne Billings
Fox, Book 1 of the Vendetta Series, is the debut novel of Parrisha Martelly.

As a fan of Greek mythology, I loved the premise to Fox. In order to avoid spoilers, I'll just say that Pandora's Box plays a large role in the series, which is pretty clear from the product description.

Here's what I loved about the story:
~It had a great plot.
~The author's writing style is impressive, especially considering that this is her debut novel.
~The characters seemed to be fleshed out very well.
~There was e...more
L.E.Olteano
Originally posted on Mar 21 2012 at Butterfly-o-Meter Books:

That cover is absolutely and completely gorgeous! Just gorgeous. I had to begin by saying that.

Now, this is a high fantasy novel with the adventure type of scenario. This has been my reading phunk niche for a while now, but I think it's reached the height of no-modjo. I just couldn't get into it at all. I just couldn't. I read something like half of the book, trying my best to become interested in the story. I'm sorry, it didn't happen...more
Scott
I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program. Since this is not the type of book I usually read, I was a bit apprehensive, but this was quickly replaced by interest. The story drew me in quickly, and was very impressed by this young author. The book is the first in a series, and I will be watching to see when future volumes are published.
Katherine
While you can tell that the author is young, this is a very solid first novel. The plot is intriguing and ends with enough mystery to make you want to read the next in the series. The characters need fleshed out a bit more, all of the dialogue tends to sound the same, but overall a very good book. 3.5/5.
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book! Well written, interesting characters & plot and a bit of a cliffhanger/whodunit ending to keep the reader on their toes for the next installment. I will definitely be reading the sequel.
Anya
Oct 26, 2012 Anya marked it as to-read
Nice cover!
EbilPhish
EbilPhish marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Shawna Brooks
Shawna Brooks marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Natascha Hakkert
Natascha Hakkert marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
NIX
NIX marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Britney Castillo
Britney Castillo marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Karen S.j.
Karen S.j. marked it as to-read
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Esmaralda
Esmaralda marked it as to-read
Sarah Staszkiel
Sarah Staszkiel marked it as to-read
Eyes
Eyes marked it as to-read
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Kara Schwartz
Kara Schwartz marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
GibblyBear
GibblyBear marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Wilmarie Medina
Wilmarie Medina marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Izabella
Izabella marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
  • The Veil
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • Memory's Wake (Memory's Wake Trilogy, #1)
  • Josephine Lost
  • The Fire Wars (Fire Wars, #1)
  • Destruction from Twins (Lor Mandela, #1)
  • Dragon Aster (Dragon Aster Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Sins and Desert Sands (Mythica #5)
  • Mundahlia (The Mundahlian Era, #1)
  • I Loved You First
  • PineLight (PineLight, #1)
  • Soul Protector (Soul Protector #1)
  • Another Broken Wizard
  • Diamond Eyes (Mira Chambers #1)
  • A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy, #1)
  • Altered
  • War of the Witch (Legacies of Talimura, #1)
  • Unleashed (UN-Forgettable, #3)
Hello! My name is Parrisha Martelly, and I am an avid lover of fantasy, chick-lit, historical romance, African American fiction, and self-development books. When I'm not writing short stories and novels, I am spending time with my family, going to concerts, and exploring California.

My first novel, Fox, was released on August 3rd.

If you have any general comments, questions, and concerns, please fee...more
More about Parrisha Martelly...
Ryder: A Young Adult Fantasy Short