Start by marking “The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)” as Want to Read:
The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)

The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Two monstrous wolves drive fourteen-year-old Jacob Clark down a path to a different world near his small-town home. The creatures of this new world are peculiar, and he is surprised to learn that they know everything about him. Even the evil, immortal Lorkon, who stole the Key of Kilenya. They are jealous of Jacob and wish to control powers he doesn't know he possesses.
Published July 1st 2011 by Createspace (first published June 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Key of Kilenya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key of Kilenya

J. Morgan
I'll admit this is a book I've been looking forward to read. I've gotten to know Andrea Pearson some over the last little while as she reviewed the first edition of The Hidden Sun and then later, she was at the August Authorama where I launched the second edition of my first novel. She's a very nice person who always seems to have a smile on her face.

The Key of Kilenya is a fantasy book that centers around 14 year-old Jacob Clark. The challenge in writing any fantasy book is setting up the rules
Andrea Pearson
Aug 10, 2014 Andrea Pearson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book, I'd better like it! :-)
Karen Hoover
When I first met Andrea, she had just signed on with my publisher. We were at a writing conference together and I looked at her and went, "now that is what an author is supposed to look like." She was stunning. Beautiful.

I was immediately intimidated.

Now, it's not that I'm ugly. At least I don't think I am. But I'm short and wide and . . . well, you get the picture. She was tall and slender with curly brown hair and I immediately thought she would make an awesome character in one of my books.

Wha
Candice
I usually like young fantasy, but I really didn't enjoy this book. The writing felt amateurish, though I guess that's not surprising from a first-time author who appears to be self-published. The plot is your stereotypical "chosen one goes on quest to retrieve magical item from villainous group," but I had a hard time connecting to the characters and the villains were thoroughly uninteresting. With the exception of the few who travel with Jacob, all the characters are lacking in personality and ...more
Ctrain79
Short answer for my rating is that I will not be continuing this series, but I will check out future series by Pearson. I would recommend this story for a family with kids to read it together, or a child of 8--12 to read on their own. Any younger and the gross stuff that happens might be a bit much for them, and any older the story might not be interesting enough.

What I liked about The Key of Kilenya:

The voice of the main character, Jacob, was a good fit. He gets irritated easily, and that's not
I've just spent every spare moment in the last two days finishing this book. I'm not really sure what I think. I really, really liked the story, but there are so many questions that I had when I was finished reading. There is a second book so I'm going to assume the answers will be in that one. I hope they are.

Other than being left with questions, which most books should leave you with a few anyways, if they are a series, I really enjoyed reading this book and it jumped right into the action. Yo
Kristi
Yes, I did use the word "fantastical" correctly. I know, because I looked it up. Not only am I referring to the fact that The Key of Kilenya is a fantastic read, but I'm also referring to the fantasy element. This applies to the "as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination" portion of the definition. (quoted from Dictionary.com)

As is always the case when I read a YA book, I started off not really thinking I was going to like it. The reason I always start this way is because the book is writte
Betsy Love
What do you get when a 14 year old boy, whose only goal in life is to make the basketball team, is chased into the woods by two giant wolves? You get a fantasy story about a boy who encounters a realm with as many diverse characters as Harry Potter. Andrea Pearson does an amazing job of setting up the rules for her urban/epic fantasy, The Key of Kilenya. She creates a strong character in Jacob Clark.

Picture this: It's the day before tryouts, and Jacob is certain he will make the team. After bei
Jenni James
My 14 year old son and I LOVED this book! We both found Key of Kilenya gripping from the start. Dalen, especially couldn't stop once he'd started. It was hilarious to watch him do his chores with one hand, while reading from the kindle with the other. He'd even walk slowly up and down the stairs while reading it. Any book that he finds that fascinating deserves a five star review.

You will be blown away through the unique twists and turns of Andrea Pearson's new world. Where fierce unimaginable c
Melissa
Jacob, a human from earth, was led to Eklaron (somewhere in the universe) to help retrieve a magical Key that only a human can get. Why HIM, of all humans, is not explained. The information is intentionally withheld for a "later" time (in this case, it means book 2), when the little people of this world called the Makalos have convened with other beings to determine whether they should tell Jacob the truth. Huh?!
I am so disappointed at how Jacob isn't really determined to whittle all t
Lisa
While outside with his brother and younger sister at night fourteen year old Jacob sees a hulking shadow in the forest and then suddenly Jacob and Matt hear their young sister screaming from the backyard. When they go to investigate they find wolves standing over her. As Matt, the older brother takes Amberly inside the wolves lunge for Jacob. As Jacob runs into the familiar forest he suddenly comes upon a part of it he's never seen. Is he still in the forest he knows or has Jacob stumbled into a ...more
Ella
It took me less than two days to read this book. I started it in the morning and read all day, then into the night. It completely enthralled me, and this is even the second time I've read it, the first being online, a couple months ago.

From the first page, this book drew me into it and kept me in Eklaron with the main character, Jacob. The action just kept coming, sending new twists and challenges that had to be faced. If Jacob wasn't dealing with one thing, he was trying to escape from somethin
Donna Weaver
Poor Jacob. He's minding his own business, practicing for what he hopes will be the start of a pathway leading to future basketball stardom and instead he ends up in an alien world with strange peoples and even stranger creatures. And no basketball!

But there is magic, and they tell him can learn to do it, too. Well, he'll need to if he hopes to survive during his quest to find the missing key. The key, he's told, only he can retrieve.

Something I particularly enjoyed was the heading at the beginn
April
I liked the story, characters, and the direction of the book. But something is missing, I can't put my finger on it, but as much as I liked the book I wanted something more as I was reading it. It was a bit juvenile for my taste.... maybe that was it. Still a fun read.
Katherine Combs
There was a lot to enjoy about this book, but dear sweet Lord was the exposition delivered horribly. The action is well-written and beautifully-paced, and was probably the best aspect of the story. It was definitely entertaining, which is why I'm giving it four stars, even though the numerous logic fails, poorly-thought-out exposition, and outright blatant mistakes should have earned this book three stars. It seriously needs a good editor - and by that I mean someone to sit down with the author ...more
Lauren
I always feel bad for giving any book less than four stars but this one had some serious problems. The idea behind the story is great but it was hard to get into because the author's voice was so distracting. It might have worked better if she had written from first person instead of third person because her voice lacked the maturity of a narrator and came across more as that of a fifteen year old. I also found the plot moved along sluggishly and instead of taking time to build action and intens ...more
Millie
My Cousin wrote this book and I am reading it. My 10 year old is also reading it. It is quite good. I read it before the publishers got hold of it, and can't wait to read it again. For sale in E-book form on smashwords.com (only $0.99!)
Irene
This book had a fast-paced plot with lots of strange and interesting characters in the world of Eklaron. I found it to be very imaginative and it kept my interest.

I believe the target readers for this book would be younger teenagers, particularly those without much patience for details. The reader is moved briskly along on young Jacob's journey.

Jacob is only beginning to understand what sort of powers he might have and there are many things for the reader to learn in the following books.
Ps Brittain
The Key of Kilenya and The Ember Gods (Kilenya Series, 2)

I recently went on a trip and took both of these books with me, largely because I suffer from vertigo and I knew I would be in mountainous territory. I was riveted to Andrea's books from the beginning and became so caught up in them that I had no problem traveling. My problem was that I couldn't put them down. I'm writing this review of both books together because once I read the first one, I had to have the second one.

They had been lookin
Dan Rogers
The Key of Kilenya is the first book in the Kilenya Series by Andrea Pearson. The main character, Jacob Clark, is a fourteen year old whose main aspiration in life is to do well enough at the upcoming basketball tryouts to be selected for the school team. As the story opens, little does he know that his life is about to change drastically. In fact, so much so that basketball tryouts will become the furthest thing from his mind. As Jacob and Matt, (Jake’s sixteen year old brother) finish up a gam ...more
Tamera Westhoff
Wow! This was an awesome book! Here I am in the last week of summer school drowning in school work, and I didn't want to do any homework in order to read this book! I fell asleep a couple times while reading, because I had a hard time stopping. You know how it is, "I'll stop reading before the next chapter...Maybe when it slows down..." It starts off with action and never slows down! I was very sad when it ended! I hope there are a LOT of books in this series and even a pre-book that gives more ...more
Lisa Asanuma
Jan 15, 2012 Lisa Asanuma added it
Recommends it for: young readers, middle grade boy readers
When I was reading The Key of Kilenya I felt like I ought to have a ten year old boy next to me reading along. I felt like that age group is probably the key audience for this book, because the kid in me was fascinated with what was going on in this fantasy world.

The story here is fast-paced from the get-go, starting with a chase through the woods by scary wolves and followed by adventure after adventure. One of the chapter titles is “Breakneck Speeds,” and that’s often what this book felt like.
Amberlouise
I loved how this book immediately drew me into the story. There isn't a great need for intense detailed descriptions of the characters as you quickly discover their personalities shortly after they are introduced into the story. The story is quick paced and it doesn't take much before the action begins. The best part is that you don't require a lot of boring back story before the adventure begins. Yes, there are questions as you go along, but this makes it even more enjoyable to read as you are ...more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I received the sequel to review, but chose to read this one first.

Here's my official review:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I was sent the sequel to review as a part of a blog tour; however, I truly prefer to read series in order, so I tracked down this one and read it first. I’m so glad that I did this.

Pearson has created an intriguing tale that captured my attention from the very beginning. I loved the characters all the Makalos, Jacob, and Aloren. It was simply a truly wonderful boo
Mandi Slack
To be quite honest, I don't usually read books in this genre. However, I loved Harry Potter, so I took a chance when asked to review this and I have to admit, I liked it! A lot! Jacob Clark is a normal teenager who dreams of becoming a basketball star. One day while his parents are away he hears his little sister, who is playing in the backyard, scream. Honestly, this scene sends chills up my back. He and his older brother race into the backyard only to discover a pair of vicious, snarling wolve ...more
MaryAnn Dennis
First off, I love the book cover. I've always had a fascination for keys, especially antique keys. I have a collection, so that all by itself grabbed my attention.

Second, I enjoyed the journal entries--a very unique way of providing the back story. I found myself caring as much about the characters in the journal entires as I did for the main characters.

Third, the action begins from about page two and never lets up. In fact, I had a hard time keeping up. I felt a lot like the main character, lea
Patricia
Sep 26, 2011 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens, pre-teens, anyone
My children are reading this book currently. I finished it so I could continue the series. We all find it a fascinating, hard to put down book! As in Percy Jackson, Harry Potter and other great books, a teenage boy lives an ordinary life while another world thinks he's something special. He blunders into that other world and we discover this other world with him and watch him make many mistakes as he learns to use a power in himself that he has previously been unaware of. Like Emily Rodda's book ...more
Christine Jensen
Fantasy is a tough genre. I enjoy a great fantasy, but they require so much more to feel real. This story is enjoyable and I like the concept, but I struggled a little to immerse myself in the world of Kilenya. New ideas were presented so quickly that I did not have a chance to accept them as true before another new word or idea was there begging to be understood. This definitely improved as the story progressed, and the characters became more real and likable as I continued to read.

Jacob seems
Heidi
Jun 29, 2011 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, young adults and those who like fantasy/science fiction
Recommended to Heidi by: Kylee Pearson
I actually can say that I enjoyed this book. It surprised me. I saw it on Facebook that a cousin of one of my friends had written a book. This book was available on smashwords.com for free. I thought, meh... I have a lot of time to check out books that might be potentially used at Paradigm or that my students would use. I think this book is a keeper.

Jacob is a regular 14 year old boy, but he does have some great talents in basketball. His older brother Matt is a football star. He also has a youn
Marcyhowes
Andrea Pearson's new young adult fantasy novel, The Key of Kilenya introduces us to an exciting adventure. When Jacob suddenly finds himself in the unfamiliar world of Eklaron, his life is constantly filled with new experiences and challenges. Though upset that his own life and goals have been interrupted, Jacob recognizes that his new found friends, the young Akeno and the other Makalos, are depending on his help to recover the magical Key of Kilenya, and hopefully preserve the future of their ...more
Advanced Copies f...: Ebook Giveaway: The Key of Kilenya 1 9 Jan 21, 2012 09:43PM
Free Books, .99 &...: E-book Giveaway: The Key of Kilenya 1 5 Jan 21, 2012 09:42PM
  • Thieves at Heart (The Valley of Ten Crescents, #1)
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • Quintspinner: A Pirate's Quest
  • Rendezvous Rock
  • Demon Lord (Demon Lord, #1)
  • Dragon Soul
  • Puppet Parade
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Traphis: A Wizard's Tale
  • Worlds Unseen
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • Oracle's Legacy: Children of Sun (Book 1)
  • The Wish (The Devil's Lover, #1)
  • A Clockwork Fairytale
  • Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • Killing with the Edge of the Moon
  • Two Moons of Sera
1909134
Andrea, a Brigham Young University graduate, is an avid reader and outdoor enthusiast (hiking, fishing, boating, biking, spending time in the Rocky Mountains, and taking walks). She spent a year and a half serving the Spanish speaking community in Toronto, Canada, and fluently speaks 2 languages. She plays several instruments, not including the banjo, and loves putting together musical arrangemen ...more
More about Andrea Pearson...

Kilenya (6 books)
  • The Ember Gods (Kilenya, #2)
  • August Fortress (Kilenya, #3)
  • Rise of Keitus (Kilenya, #4)
  • Eyes of the Sun (Kilenya Series, 5)
  • The Golden Symbol (Kilenya Series, 6)
Discern The Ember Gods (Kilenya, #2) August Fortress (Kilenya, #3) Samara: A Kilenya Romance Rise of Keitus (Kilenya, #4)

“Okay, we gotta find seeds, then.” 0 likes