Start by marking “The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)” as Want to Read:
The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)

The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)

We all have a choice—but we can’t choose the consequences.

Jacob Clark is chased down a path that takes him to another world—a world where he is a wanted young man. The Lorkon want to control him and the special powers he possesses. The people of the new world want him to save them from the destruction of the Lorkon. All Jacob wants is to go home, but even that choice has
Published July 28th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Key of Kilenya, please sign up.

Craig Jr. It would be perfect for readers of Harry Potter and Eragon. It is a light read, very understandable, and very fun read. It is a kids read, and there…moreIt would be perfect for readers of Harry Potter and Eragon. It is a light read, very understandable, and very fun read. It is a kids read, and there is no adult content in it, and it's even an enjoyable read for an adult. (less)

Andrea Pearson
Nov 25, 2009 Andrea Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book, I'd better like it! :-)
J. Morgan
Sep 07, 2011 J. Morgan rated it really liked it
I'll admit this is a book I've been looking forward to read. I've gotten to know Andrea Pearson some over the last little while as she reviewed the first edition of The Hidden Sun and then later, she was at the August Authorama where I launched the second edition of my first novel. She's a very nice person who always seems to have a smile on her face.

The Key of Kilenya is a fantasy book that centers around 14 year-old Jacob Clark. The challenge in writing any fantasy book is setting up the rules
Jenni James
Aug 05, 2011 Jenni James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 14 year old son and I LOVED this book! We both found Key of Kilenya gripping from the start. Dalen, especially couldn't stop once he'd started. It was hilarious to watch him do his chores with one hand, while reading from the kindle with the other. He'd even walk slowly up and down the stairs while reading it. Any book that he finds that fascinating deserves a five star review.

You will be blown away through the unique twists and turns of Andrea Pearson's new world. Where fierce unimaginable c
Karen Hoover
Mar 23, 2012 Karen Hoover rated it it was amazing
When I first met Andrea, she had just signed on with my publisher. We were at a writing conference together and I looked at her and went, "now that is what an author is supposed to look like." She was stunning. Beautiful.

I was immediately intimidated.

Now, it's not that I'm ugly. At least I don't think I am. But I'm short and wide and . . . well, you get the picture. She was tall and slender with curly brown hair and I immediately thought she would make an awesome character in one of my books.

Wha
Melissa
Jacob, a human from earth, was led to Eklaron (somewhere in the universe) to help retrieve a magical Key that only a human can get. Why HIM, of all humans, is not explained. The information is intentionally withheld for a "later" time (in this case, it means book 2), when the little people of this world called the Makalos have convened with other beings to determine whether they should tell Jacob the truth. Huh?!
I am so disappointed at how Jacob isn't really determined to whittle all t
Maya
Apr 20, 2017 Maya rated it really liked it
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel. I found Andrea Pearson through her other series, specifically Discern, and fell in love with her world building skills. The Key of Kilenya doesn't disappoint either.

The first book in this new series is about Jacob, who is transported to another world and discovers that he has magical abilities. It's not the most unique of lead ins when it comes to plot points, but Pearson is a master of taking the same old plot and making it something new
Ctrain79
May 11, 2014 Ctrain79 rated it it was ok
Short answer for my rating is that I will not be continuing this series, but I will check out future series by Pearson. I would recommend this story for a family with kids to read it together, or a child of 8--12 to read on their own. Any younger and the gross stuff that happens might be a bit much for them, and any older the story might not be interesting enough.

What I liked about The Key of Kilenya:

The voice of the main character, Jacob, was a good fit. He gets irritated easily, and that's not
Candice
Aug 15, 2014 Candice rated it it was ok
I usually like young fantasy, but I really didn't enjoy this book. The writing felt amateurish, though I guess that's not surprising from a first-time author who appears to be self-published. The plot is your stereotypical "chosen one goes on quest to retrieve magical item from villainous group," but I had a hard time connecting to the characters and the villains were thoroughly uninteresting. With the exception of the few who travel with Jacob, all the characters are lacking in personality and ...more
Kristi
Yes, I did use the word "fantastical" correctly. I know, because I looked it up. Not only am I referring to the fact that The Key of Kilenya is a fantastic read, but I'm also referring to the fantasy element. This applies to the "as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination" portion of the definition. (quoted from Dictionary.com)

As is always the case when I read a YA book, I started off not really thinking I was going to like it. The reason I always start this way is because the book is writte
Lisa
Jan 09, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
While outside with his brother and younger sister at night fourteen year old Jacob sees a hulking shadow in the forest and then suddenly Jacob and Matt hear their young sister screaming from the backyard. When they go to investigate they find wolves standing over her. As Matt, the older brother takes Amberly inside the wolves lunge for Jacob. As Jacob runs into the familiar forest he suddenly comes upon a part of it he's never seen. Is he still in the forest he knows or has Jacob stumbled into a ...more
Ella
Jan 13, 2012 Ella rated it it was amazing
It took me less than two days to read this book. I started it in the morning and read all day, then into the night. It completely enthralled me, and this is even the second time I've read it, the first being online, a couple months ago.

From the first page, this book drew me into it and kept me in Eklaron with the main character, Jacob. The action just kept coming, sending new twists and challenges that had to be faced. If Jacob wasn't dealing with one thing, he was trying to escape from somethin
Dec 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I've just spent every spare moment in the last two days finishing this book. I'm not really sure what I think. I really, really liked the story, but there are so many questions that I had when I was finished reading. There is a second book so I'm going to assume the answers will be in that one. I hope they are.

Other than being left with questions, which most books should leave you with a few anyways, if they are a series, I really enjoyed reading this book and it jumped right into the action. Yo
Betsy Love
Jan 13, 2012 Betsy Love rated it it was amazing
What do you get when a 14 year old boy, whose only goal in life is to make the basketball team, is chased into the woods by two giant wolves? You get a fantasy story about a boy who encounters a realm with as many diverse characters as Harry Potter. Andrea Pearson does an amazing job of setting up the rules for her urban/epic fantasy, The Key of Kilenya. She creates a strong character in Jacob Clark.

Picture this: It's the day before tryouts, and Jacob is certain he will make the team. After bei
Donna Weaver
Oct 09, 2011 Donna Weaver rated it really liked it
Poor Jacob. He's minding his own business, practicing for what he hopes will be the start of a pathway leading to future basketball stardom and instead he ends up in an alien world with strange peoples and even stranger creatures. And no basketball!

But there is magic, and they tell him can learn to do it, too. Well, he'll need to if he hopes to survive during his quest to find the missing key. The key, he's told, only he can retrieve.

Something I particularly enjoyed was the heading at the beginn
Montzalee Wittmann
The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1) by Andrea Pearson is a wonderful fantasy for middle grade to teens (and adults too!). It is fast moving and filled with strange creatures and magic. Jacob finds himself in a new world fighting for his life, other people's lives, and their whole world. There are surprises, surprises, surprises! Lots of action, emotions, great dialogue, and humor. A fun and enjoyable read. Can't say more, hate spoiler reviews. Great job!
Millie
My Cousin wrote this book and I am reading it. My 10 year old is also reading it. It is quite good. I read it before the publishers got hold of it, and can't wait to read it again. For sale in E-book form on smashwords.com (only $0.99!)
April
Feb 04, 2014 April rated it liked it
I liked the story, characters, and the direction of the book. But something is missing, I can't put my finger on it, but as much as I liked the book I wanted something more as I was reading it. It was a bit juvenile for my taste.... maybe that was it. Still a fun read.
C.
Aug 21, 2016 C. rated it did not like it
This book was just too weird and other-wordly for my tastes. I could not get into it at all.
Julian White
A bit of a change from the previous (Mosaic) series - this is a YA(is) book: the protagonist is a new highschool boy who discovers abilities when he stumbles into a different world, herded by a pair of large wolves. With an amazingly sanguine family who do not blink an eye at his disappearing for several days (or even when he - Jacob - sends a message home via what can most easily (and inaccurately) be described as a fairy of the Tinkerbell variety...

Jake himself is of the leap first persuasion,
Marzena
Feb 25, 2017 Marzena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's perfectly appropriate for the middle school audience. This is creative, interesting story. A fun and enjoyable read.
May 18, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A well-written book and a good start to the series. Jacob achieved his goal, but with enough loose ends that he has to go back and solve them.
Bobbie
Mar 13, 2017 Bobbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is a fantasy book about a young teen Jacob who's around fourteen years old. It is well written with an intriguing plot and complex characters. It's a thrilling adventure that i'm sure you will enjoy. I really enjoyed it and recommend it to the reading community.
Denae Christine
Oct 06, 2016 Denae Christine added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF about 30%

It just lost my interest. I wasn't connected to the characters. The magic wasn't explained fast enough. The plot was nothing new (trying to find his way home from magical world).
Lisa Asanuma
Sep 13, 2011 Lisa Asanuma added it
Recommends it for: young readers, middle grade boy readers
When I was reading The Key of Kilenya I felt like I ought to have a ten year old boy next to me reading along. I felt like that age group is probably the key audience for this book, because the kid in me was fascinated with what was going on in this fantasy world.

The story here is fast-paced from the get-go, starting with a chase through the woods by scary wolves and followed by adventure after adventure. One of the chapter titles is “Breakneck Speeds,” and that’s often what this book felt like.
Dan Rogers
Feb 20, 2013 Dan Rogers rated it it was amazing
The Key of Kilenya is the first book in the Kilenya Series by Andrea Pearson. The main character, Jacob Clark, is a fourteen year old whose main aspiration in life is to do well enough at the upcoming basketball tryouts to be selected for the school team. As the story opens, little does he know that his life is about to change drastically. In fact, so much so that basketball tryouts will become the furthest thing from his mind. As Jacob and Matt, (Jake’s sixteen year old brother) finish up a gam ...more
Kim Hampton
Feb 28, 2017 Kim Hampton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the series. I loved the characters and the action. Warning: it ends in a cliffhanger!
Heidi
Jun 28, 2011 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, young adults and those who like fantasy/science fiction
Recommended to Heidi by: Kylee Pearson
I actually can say that I enjoyed this book. It surprised me. I saw it on Facebook that a cousin of one of my friends had written a book. This book was available on smashwords.com for free. I thought, meh... I have a lot of time to check out books that might be potentially used at Paradigm or that my students would use. I think this book is a keeper.

Jacob is a regular 14 year old boy, but he does have some great talents in basketball. His older brother Matt is a football star. He also has a youn
Alice
Sep 14, 2011 Alice rated it liked it
This book reminded me a lot of the kids' series by Suzanne Collins called Gregor the Overlander. The main plot of the book being this kid named Jacob travels to another alternate world by accident. He discovers that a race of people have been waiting on him to help them find a magical and powerful key that was stolen by the bad guys. I imagine this race of magical people to be a mix between Native Americans and Ewoks.

The book takes you through the adventures of Jacob. He meets all kinds of diffe
Alice Gold
Sep 14, 2011 Alice Gold rated it liked it

The book takes you through the adventures of Jacob. He meets all kinds of diffe
Katherine Combs
Jan 22, 2015 Katherine Combs rated it liked it
Edit: decided to revise my original rating of four stars to three, since in hindsight giving it four stars implies I think the book is "good." It really isn't, though it IS an entertaining read, as long as you can overlook some flaws (noted below).

There were things I enjoyed about this book, but dear sweet Lord was the exposition delivered horribly. The action is well-written and beautifully paced, and was probably the best aspect of the story. It was definitely entertaining, though the numerous
Advanced Copies f...: Ebook Giveaway: The Key of Kilenya 1 9 Jan 21, 2012 09:43PM
Free Books, .99 &...: E-book Giveaway: The Key of Kilenya 1 5 Jan 21, 2012 09:42PM
  • Legon Awakening (Legon, #1)
  • Two Moons of Sera Vol. 1
  • Rendezvous Rock
  • Puppet Parade
  • Quintspinner: A Pirate's Quest
  • Island of Fog (Island of Fog, #1)
  • Traphis: A Wizard's Tale
  • Dragon Soul
  • Children of Sun (Oracles Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Thieves at Heart (The Valley of Ten Crescents, #1)
  • Killing with the Edge of the Moon
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • Worlds Unseen (The Seventh World Trilogy, #1)
  • Veiled (Veiled #1)
  • The King of Blades
  • Demon Lord (Demon Lord, #1)
  • The Hermetica of Elysium (The Elysium Texts, #1)
  • The Daisy Chain (An Aliso Creek Novella)
1909134
Andrea, a Brigham Young University graduate, is an avid reader and outdoor enthusiast (hiking, fishing, boating, biking, spending time in the Rocky Mountains, and taking walks). She spent a year and a half serving the Spanish speaking community in Toronto, Canada, and fluently speaks 2 languages. She plays several instruments, not including the banjo, and loves putting together musical arrangemen ...more
More about Andrea Pearson...

Kilenya (6 books)
  • The Ember Gods (Kilenya, #2)
  • August Fortress (Kilenya, #3)
  • Rise of Keitus (Kilenya, #4)
  • Eyes of the Sun (Kilenya Series, 5)
  • The Golden Symbol (Kilenya Series, 6)

“Okay, we gotta find seeds, then.” 0 likes