Start by marking “Marrying the Major (The Women of Swan's Nest, #4)” as Want to Read:
Marrying the Major (The Women of Swan's Nest, #4)

Marrying the Major (The Women of Swan's Nest #4)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
He hired a governess, but what retired officer Tristan Willoughby-Smith needs is a wife. Not on his behalf, but to protect little Dora and Freddie. When Caroline Bradley arrives at his Wyoming ranch, she seems perfectly suited--capable, efficient, intelligent...if a trifle "too" appealing.Caroline knows what a real union of hearts should be, and the major's polite, no-nons ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marrying the Major, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marrying the Major

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëMarried By Morning by Lisa KleypasWhere Dreams Begin by Lisa KleypasDevil's Bride by Stephanie LaurensThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Nanny-Governess Romances
41st out of 98 books — 83 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books I Can't Get Enough Of
424th out of 540 books — 211 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Oct 08, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Women of Swan's Nest
Book 5

This is the final book in this series. I'm kind of sad to see this series end, as all the books have been excellent. This book focused on the sister duel - Bessie and Caroline. They are traveling to Wyoming to help out Major Tristian Willoughby-Smith, who has an interesting past and a questionable future. Tristian is suffering from Malaria, which is wife died from and left him raising their two children. Bessie, a nurse is traveling to his home to care for him while Car
Judy
Sep 17, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Marrying the Major by Victoria Bylin Book 4: The Women of Swan's Nest

Western Historical meets Regency.

What an ending to The Women of Swan's Nest. Caroline & Bessie Bradley are the last two unmarried women from the group. Bessie is happy as a nurse and is content being single. Caroline had a short but loving marriage seven years before, Charles had died and she gave up her dreams of family and a home of her own. Caroline has taken the job as a governess for a Wyoming rancher who was ill and m
Rhonda
Oct 31, 2011 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Review: Marrying the Major by Victoria Bylin
5 STARS
I enjoyed reading Marrying the Major. It was a clean romance with humor. I liked how Caroline Bradley faced up to her fears, she was very independant. Caroline loves children and she did not think at this late that she would remarry and have a family. So she was going to be a nanny and borrow children to mother. Caroline has some fears but she is also strong minded.
Major Tristan Willoughby Smith was a major in the British Army. He is a widower
Michelle
Oct 23, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Tristan Willoughby-Smith is a retired major, but still all military to the core. He runs his house, and his life like he led his unit when he served in the British Army. Now, he needs a wife. Suffering from malaria and having lost his wife to the disease, he promises to see that his children, Dora and Freddie, are properly cared for. So he hires Caroline Bradley to be their governess, but secretly plans to wed her to his best friend Jon, so that upon his death, the couple can care for his childr ...more
Abbie
4.5 Stars

Tristan has a lot on his plate. His wife dies of Malaria and he himself is now fighting the deadly disease. He does not know if he will live but his one concern is his two young kids and leaving them with out parents. He hires a governess to watch after the children and if his plans work the way he hopes maybe there mom.

Caroline loves children but fears she will never marry again and have her own so becoming a governess will give her a borrowed family. What she did not expect was to h
Paula-O
Apr 03, 2012 Paula-O rated it it was amazing
Book by Victoria Bylin LIH named "Marrying the Major"

Trisan was a military man through and through, even though retired he still kept those around him "orderly", he named his ranch "The Barracks".
Tristan had lost his wife and now needed a governess to watch over his little boy and daughter. He hired two sisters one to be governess the other to be a nurse who would help him as he had bouts of Malaria from the time he had been in the war.

Caroline and sister Bessie came to Wyoming on a coach and fr
Alex
Feb 02, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
At First Sight: Unsure where his fight with malaria will leave him, retired British Army Officer, Major Tristan Smith decided to take steps to secure his children's future, but that was easier said than done. His first step was to hire the Bradley sisters; the older, Bessie, in a nurse's capacity to help him fight off the malaria, and the younger, Caroline, to be a governess to his children.

But things don't go quite as planned. Caroline and Bessie left their friends in Denver in hope of a good
Kat Evans
Jun 03, 2014 Kat Evans rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romance fans
Recommended to Kat by: no one
This book had everything I look for in a good romance. The characters had depth, you could really understand where each was coming from. They showed how hard it can be for a stepparent to come into the picture. I can't wait to find the other stories in this series.
Ariana
Oct 21, 2011 Ariana rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads, newish
Caroline has a rough history: her late husband was mudered before her eyes after only a month of marriage. Her life's desire is to be a mother, but she has not had the opportunity. When a position for a governess arises, Caroline takes the change to 'borrow' someone else's children. What she didn't anticipate was an immediate need to marry the father of these children in order to protect them.

This book is very sweet. Caroline has a strong spirit and rises to the challenges that she faces as a w
Ellen Sara
This was a sweet story! I loved reading the story of how Caroline and Tristan fell in love. They were in an interesting position having married for after barely knowing each other. Because of the circumstances of their marriage both were a little afraid to be completely honest about how they were feeling. It was refreshing to see how hard they each worked to be what the other person needed. I loved that this book was clean and romantic at the same time.
Sabrina Lucero
Jan 30, 2016 Sabrina Lucero rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. :)
Pam Fullem
Oct 02, 2011 Pam Fullem rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a "First Reads" book for me. I enjoyed the book. I was pulling for the couple all the way through and was not sure until the last few pages that it was going to work out or how. As a credit to the author, I was not aware it was part of a series, but the story totally stood on its own. I enjoy more "period" settings for novels, so this kind of novel was right up my alley.
Nina
Jan 24, 2013 Nina rated it it was amazing
Marrying the Major by Victoria Bylin

This was really a good book, loved it. Great characters, great scenes, even the emotions of the story people were good. I wish she would do a sequel to it, showing their lives in England and the how they solved the problems of being Lords and Ladies with Gods help after his father was so nasty to people there.
Sara Mitchell
Sep 14, 2011 Sara Mitchell rated it it was amazing
another outstanding read by this author. Well-drawn characters, with poignant internal as well as external conflict. I particularly enjoy Victoria Bylin's ability to draw realistic pictures of her male characters and children. You always CARE what happens--highly recommend this book and all of her others!!
Mistyblue
Oct 07, 2012 Mistyblue rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I enjoyed this story. Some of the plot twists took me by surprise, but I appreciated the way the characters handled the events as they came. I was impressed by how Ms. Bylin handled Louisa, "the other woman" and I would love to see a following book with her story. :)
Catherine
Sep 26, 2011 Catherine rated it it was ok
I won this book in the Good Reads Draw and the author signed my copy too! That being said, this book is a very light read. Perfect for a rainy, cold day, which is what I had. I didn't really connect with the characters and I really wanted to like it more than I did.
Victoria Bylin
Aug 24, 2011 Victoria Bylin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi! I'm the author :) This book is part of the "Swan's Nest" series but it also stands alone. I hope you enjoy the story!
Claudia Rosa
May 16, 2012 Claudia Rosa rated it it was amazing
Excellent Romance!
SheLove2Read
Aug 29, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ruth Nash
Ruth Nash rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Mandy Dubiansky
Mandy Dubiansky marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Renee Sprague
Renee Sprague marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Tima
Tima marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Ana Batista
Ana Batista marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Nancy Klinger
Nancy Klinger marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Sue Brandt
Sue Brandt rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • Love on the Range
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Hometown Cinderella \ The Inn at Hope Springs
  • The Hand-Me-Down Family
  • Their Frontier Family (Wilderness Brides, #1)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • The Bridal Swap (Smoky Mountain Matches, #2)
  • Homefront Hero
  • Prairie Courtship
  • The Captain's Courtship (The Everard Legacy, #2)
  • A Convenient Wife
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • The Marriage Barter (Orphan Train, #2)
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
Known for her realistic, likable characters and vivid writing, Victoria Bylin writes both western and contemporary inspirational romance. Her next book, Until I Found You, hits the shelves in May 2014. Victoria's books have finaled in the ACFW Carol Awards, the Rita Awards and RT Magazine’s Reviewers’ Choice Awards. She and her husband currently live in Lexington, Kentucky and have two grown sons.
More about Victoria Bylin...

The Women of Swan's Nest (4 books)
  • The Maverick Preacher  (The Women of Swan's Nest, #1)
  • Wyoming Lawman (The Women of Swan's Nest, #2)
  • The Outlaw's Return (The Women of Swan's Nest, #3)