Start by marking “Geheimauftrag Buenos Aires (Honor Bound, #1)” as Want to Read:
Geheimauftrag Buenos Aires (Honor Bound, #1)

Geheimauftrag Buenos Aires (Honor Bound #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,509 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
It's 1942. A Marine aviator, an Army paratrooper and demolitions expert, and a non-com radio man are on an impossible mission for the OSS - sabotaging the resupply of German ships and submarines - by any means necessary!
First Lieutenant Cletus Frade is fresh from Guadalcanal. He teams up with Second Lieutenant Anthony Pelosi and Sergeant David Ettinger for the most critic
Published 1995 by Bastei-Verl. Lübbe (first published January 12th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Geheimauftrag Buenos Aires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Geheimauftrag Buenos Aires

GymGuy
Again, this book has pretty good reviews, but I "JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" Boring beyond all belief!

This is a soap opera for men. While it is billed as a WWII story, it has little to do with the actual War and is much more about people during WWII. Trying to find a plot was like trying to drill for water in Abu Dhabi. After 50% there was almost no story line. Just characters....characters...and more characters. Who they went to bed with, what they had for dinner, what restaurant they ate a
Snowfalcon
Mar 11, 2009 Snowfalcon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I read this guy.

Yes, they are "romance novels for guys".

They're simple, they're straightforward, the language is easy.

My defense is simple. While they are simple they are not stupid. There is an elegance to simplicity.

There are times too when as "good for me" as something more classic may be ... I want to just relax, and to do so with a medium that is not so manipulative as TV or even film. These books fit the bill.

The Honor Bound series is the best of his I've read so far.
Patrick
Jan 05, 2017 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love me some Cletus Frada & his gorgeous Argentinian wife to be...great story, extreme intrigue to say the least.
Jun 26, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start to this series by a thriller master
Jan 28, 2017 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Griffin - very entertaining.
JBradford
This is the first volume of what became the Honor Bound series, introducing First Lieutenant Cletus Howell Frade, who—like most of Griffin’s heroes--happens to been born filthy rich and therefore can get away with most everything-you know: he smokes Cuban cigars, drinks Old Grouse, and sleeps with every pretty woman he meets. As the novel opens, Frade is a 22-year-old U.S. Marines pilot of Wildcat fighter planes on Guadalcanal and has just shot down his sixth Japanese Zero, making him an officia ...more
Rob Gould
I have to say that though I am a big fan of Mr. Griffin, I don't know if this one would top my list. I mean, look I know everyone loves Killer McCoy, and Charley C.G. Castillo and I am sure that the Griffin fans of the world probably view most of the other main characters in Griffin's novels through the lens of McCoy and Castillo. And like most, I most assuredly do as well.

With that being said there is somewhat of a bias if you will towards Mr. Griffin's novels that either don't meet those expe
Apr 15, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
This series is a LOT like the Presidential Agent series-- a young hero/aviator leads a group on clandestine missions. And, as usual, Griffin spends more time setting up the background for the story and familiarizing the reader with the culture and people of World War II era Argentina, certainly an out of the way place (and an interesting choice) for a World War II novel.

The only real problem is that the real action in this novel is limited to three small sections-- one is an air drop of supplie
Linda Munro
Sep 13, 2012 Linda Munro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Honor Bound series. Set during World War II, this book covers Hitler's interest in controlling neutral Argintina, and the U.S.' interest in the same; the specific goal of the U.S. appears to be sabatage against Argintine ships using American petroleum to refuel German warships; but, as we all know, nothing is as it seems.

The OSS has selected three servicemen (from various branches of the service) to go to Argentina and disable a ship which will be refuling enemy s
Will
Jun 12, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OSS Recruits Frade, Assigns Him to Argentina. Jerked back to the Star Tour following his becoming an ace, Frade is recruited by the OSS to go to Argentina ostensibly to surreptitiously attack a fake Nazi submarine tender. Jorge, his estranged father, is the most powerful man in Argentina and the mission reeks of influence peddling by the OSS. Following a grand reunion of father and son, the Nazis put out a hit on Clete but he is warned off by his new Luftwaffe fighter pilot Peter von Wachstein w ...more
Rapidio
Feb 23, 2012 Rapidio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have read WEB Griffin before, you know what to expect: All the male characters are dashing, the weasels look like weasels; the women are either beautiful or salt of the earth or both. and everyone is pretty much rich. There is lots of doting on the trappings of the rich life, which is somewhat of a discordant feature when most of the characters are active duty military. But damn, his stories always just seem to suck the reader in. All of his series, The Corps, The Brotherhood of War, Badg ...more
Jason Golomb
"An officer is honor bound to face whatever hazards his duty requires; not throw his life, or that of his men, away."

"Honor Bound" takes an interesting mix of colorful characters, wartime intrigue, blends them together in an uncommon World War II location, that results in a fairly deep and fun book. Based mostly in Buenos Aires, prolific military writer, W.E.B. Griffin does a good job of creating fairly fleshy characters, and creating a unique WWII thriller.

It's a little hard to even characteri
Matthew
I am a big fan of Griffin. His books almost always get 3 stars from me but they always meet my expectations. I am not reading Griffin for great literary achievements. I read him because I know I will enjoy the story.

This is the first book in the Honor Bound series. Set in Argentina during World War II it follows a cast of characters involved in U.S., Argentine, and German politics and military machinations. Their is political intrigue, spy stuff, beautiful women, fast cars, and a pretty good sto
Cedar Bristol
Jan 15, 2015 Cedar Bristol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-fiction
A great story and a great reminder of how Global the conflict was. I remember wondering how a WWII story set in Argentina could make me turn pages. I couldn't put it down. I know nothing of Argentina's actual history and couldn't begin to comment on whether the story is even in the ballpark of a realistic portrayal of that country's upper class and security services at that time, but it's a great story.

It continues with Blood and Honor and some other books with "honor" in the title. I loved all
69books.Com
Oct 18, 2015 69books.Com rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honour bound is a great novel. I was only familiar with the Brotherhood of Arms series, so I was suprised when I saw this book in the bookstore. Cletus Frade and his friends had to stop the Germans in Argentina for the second time (I later discovered that there was a another book). Cletus also had the trouble of a pregnant girlfriend and a deceased father. He became the owner of his father's possesions. What happens to the money stolen from the Jews? Will Cletus be ordered to gain acces to this ...more
Bonnie
Aug 14, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the last book in this series first and then found out that there were four that came before it so I decided to go back and listen to those. When I saw that there are 18(!) discs in the audiobook I almost decided against it, but since I'd liked the last one I decided to go ahead. It really didn't seem as long as it is, which should indicate that it is pretty engrossing.

I have really liked Scott Brick's reading of books in the past, but in the last book he made the hero Cletus Frade seem to
Megargee
This is the first volume in a new WEB Griffin series, this one about an OSS team based in Argentina during WW II. As the first in a new series, considerable time is spent introducing the characters and their back stories before the action starts. However, WEB fans will find most the the stereotyped characters found in his other military novels, engaging in the same behaviors, drinking the same Scoth and so on.
Cindy
Sep 04, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It expanded my horizons-being a mil wife for 30+ years -I never even thought about how S.A. fit into the scheme of things. I had worked with an older RN in SAT whose father was a Rear Adm and then her husband was stationed in Occupied Berlin w/ Gen Omar Bradley was there and thoroughly enjoyed her stories and in 5th grade we got a kid whose father had been stationed in Quito, Ecuador so I am getting sort of up to speed...
George
Mar 16, 2012 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilbur Smith and Alistair MacLean was my favorite authors, but I have another to add to my list, and that is W.E.B. Griffin. I've read two of the Honor Bound series now (Honor Bound & Blood And Honor), starting on the third of the Honor Bound series (Secret Honor), anxious to see where Clete takes me to this time. If you enjoyed Honor Bound, recommend you read Blood and Honor, it's the continuation of Honor Bound and it sure is exciting, packed with plenty of action in Griffin style.
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on CD; didn't read it. I suppose it might get an extra half-star in actual book form but as a listening experience, one of the stupidest things I've ever been exposed to.

And what the title has to do with the story, I'll never know.

Stay away.
John
Oct 18, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several other of Mr. Griffin's series & have really enjoyed them. I wasn't sure I would like this one, but after reading the first 2 books of the Mmmm newest series I decided to try Honor Bound. I did enjoy it. It does seem a lot like the Presidental Agent series..or that one was like this. No matter, I liked the story & the characters.
Paul
Apr 04, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book (after reading the rest of the series), and I forgot how great it was! Griffin is so good at character development and making you think his characters are as real as the actual historical figures (this is, after all, historical fiction), and this book has good action at the end of it. I very much enjoyed it the first time in 2007 and again this time.
Beth S.
Very much dudely books for dudes. But the best kind, which is the kind with no women. I greatly prefer a thriller writer who doesn't even try to write women as people over one who does, and thereby reveals what a nightmare he is at it.
Joel Sommer
Ok read. Slow at time, in which I could put it down for long periods of time. Did enjoy the latter part of the book and could not put it down until I finished it late one night. Still thinking about whether I will continue with the series. May take a break.
Samuel Sieja
Jul 23, 2014 Samuel Sieja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooks
This book series is probably my favorite out of the two I have read so far, the other being the President's Agent series. I would not have thought that at all going into the first book, but it was remarkably well done and quite enjoyable. I am looking forward to book two.
Jake
May 06, 2011 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book. Clete Frade is pulled from Guadal canal where he was a fighter pilot to become a spy in Argentina in WWII. He has never met his father who is a very rich and powerful man in neutral Argentina and the US wants Argentina on their side. Clete
Jane Wade
Jul 03, 2013 Jane Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good I couldn't put it down! The character development was excellent, and I felt I was right in the middle of the action. I liked learning about the culture of Argentina and WW II in S. America. It could have happened!
Candice
Aug 09, 2010 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read. The characters and their interactions are wonderful. Never a dull moment and I am definitely getting the 2nd book in this series later today so I can start it as soon as possible.
Craig
Jan 02, 2010 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like WEB Griffin's books but the first book in a series he writes is so freaking hard to get through. this one was no different but since I really liked the Brotherhood of War series and The Crops series I'm going to start the second book in Honor Bound next.
Alan Rowoth
Dec 23, 2011 Alan Rowoth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite series by WEB Griffin. It's hard not to like Cleetus Frade and his large and less stereotypical cast of characters as they weave thru the series. And viewing World War II from South America provides an unusual and fresh perspective.
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Churchill and America
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman
  • The Sea Witch
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Honor Bound (7 books)
  • Blood and Honor (Honor Bound, #2)
  • Secret Honor (Honor Bound, #3)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • Empire and Honor (Honor Bound, #7)