Start by marking “Be Good to Eddie Lee” as Want to Read:
Be Good to Eddie Lee

Be Good to Eddie Lee

Christy's mother always tells her to be good to Eddie Lee, a neighborhood child with Down's Syndrome. But Christy wants to run and play -- and not worry about Eddie Lee tagging along. One hot summer day, though, Eddie Lee takes Christy to a secret place in the woods and teaches her that beautiful things can be found in unexpected places.
"What makes Fleming's first book so
Published October 27th 1993 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Be Good to Eddie Lee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Good to Eddie Lee

Paige Clarke
Oct 15, 2014 Paige Clarke rated it really liked it
Be Good to Eddie Lee is a book about a girl named Christy and a boy in her neighborhood named Eddie Lee. Eddie Lee is a child with down syndrome, who is not always well liked by Christy and her friend. One day Christy decides to go down to the river with her friend, and Eddie Lee tags along much to her disappointment. However, once they are there Eddie Lee show Christy this beautiful place he enjoys going to. Eddie Lee has a special interest in nature. Once he shows Christy his secret beautiful ...more
Melissa Richards
Oct 18, 2016 Melissa Richards rated it really liked it
Be Good to Eddie Lee helps to show some of the ways that children often interact with other children who have disabilities. Eddie Lee is a boy with Down Syndrome who just wants to play with his neighbor Christy and her friend JimBud. Christy is always trying to avoid Eddie Lee and JimBud bullies Eddie Lee by calling him names. Christy is not mean because her mother warned her to be good to him, but she does not realize why she should befriend Eddie Lee until the end of the story. This book shows ...more
Sarah Owen
Sep 13, 2016 Sarah Owen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Christy's mother always tells her to "Be nice to Eddie Lee". Eddie Lee is a boy in her neighborhood with Down Syndrome. One day, Christy goes out with her other friend to the pod to find frog eggs. Eddie Lee follows them and ends up showing them where all the frog eggs are and how beautiful the world is.

I loved this book because it had gorgeous illustrations and the message of the story was very up-lifting. I also loved that one of the main characters had a disability.

I would read this to my cla
Oct 10, 2016 Dana rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story. Christy's mom has always told her to be good to Eddie Lee, a neighbor boy who has Down's syndrome. One day, even as another neighborhood child scorns Eddie Lee, Christy is kind to him and he shows her how beautiful the world can be. I think this is a great book to share with children.
Oct 10, 2016 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This book is very sweet, and the behavior and actions of the children are realistic. Today's parents will have to decide for themselves whether the bullying engaged in by one kid will be too mean for their charges to handle; it is depicted as wrong, however.
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Christy and Jimbud are close friends. As they go about exploring a their world, searching for frog eggs, they (particularly Jimbud) do so at the exclusion of another local child, Eddie Lee. Eddie Lee has an intellectual disability. The other children, frequently underestimate what he can contribute as a person, and as a friend. It is when Eddie Lee shows Chirsty beautiful parts of the woods that she hadn't noticed before, and demonstrates his ability to think critically t
Oct 31, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Eddie is a boy with down syndrome who wants to hang out with two kids in his neighborhood. They don't want to, but the girl's mom told her to always be good to Eddie Lee. She allows him to show her the beautiful places he knew about and to share his special interest in nature with her. She realizes how special he is, and that everyone deserves a chance.
This book does a great job introducing children to someone who is mentally challenged and shows that they are worthy of friendship just like any
Elyzabeth Marie
Jan 25, 2014 Elyzabeth Marie rated it it was amazing
I feel this book should be read to any child that know someone with a disability. Reading this book to the child would help him/her understand that the child with a disability is just like them only a little different and they could become a good friend if they only try.
"Be Good to Eddie Lee" is about three neighborhood children during the summertime. One boy being Eddie Lee with down syndrome. The little girl in the story Christy mothers tell her to be nice to Eddie Lee that god had made him t
Carley Grab
Apr 22, 2012 Carley Grab rated it it was amazing
Just the message of this book gives it 5 stars immediately for me. In this story, Christy learns that although her neighbor Eddie Lee has Down syndrome, he is not so different from her, and he has a lot to offer the world. I have a brother three years younger than myself who has Down syndrome, and just seeing that this book exited made me so incredibly happy. I was given this book when I was in 1st grade. It made me so happy then and it still brings tears to my eyes every time I see it. Cooper's ...more
Kathleen Heroux
Feb 18, 2010 Kathleen Heroux rated it it was amazing
This is the story of three children, of different families, living in a rural area. Cristy has been told to be good to her neighbor Eddie Lee. JimBud has different opinions about Eddie. Both Cristy and JimBud believe that to include Eddie Lee in their play he will slow their activities. Throughout the story Cristy is plagued by her mother's words that give her a conscience. JimBud freely uses language often heard from children in their expressions toward children different from themselves. Eddie ...more
Hannah Moles
Apr 29, 2016 Hannah Moles rated it it was amazing
In this book, Christy is a little girl whose mom always told her to be good to Eddie Lee. Christy finally becomes friends with Eddie and they develop a love for nature together. This book is a great realistic fiction because it is relatable to kids and because it shows a real situation that students may encounter in life. This is because Eddie Lee actually has Down's Syndrome and throughout the book, Christy finds out that even though he may have a disability, he's still an amazing person and wo ...more
Anna Daga
Mar 09, 2013 Anna Daga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Fleming’s “Be good to Eddie Lee” captures an importance to support, accept and have tolerance for kids who are different. It is a wonderful story that teaches children the importance of having empathy/ kindness to special needs children, as well as accepting these children in their circle of friends. The book is a great source to demonstrate that applying equal treatment to the members of our society is one of the key morals of a good citizen. “Be Good to Eddie Lee” can prove to children that be ...more
The main characters in this story is a boy name Eddie who has Down’s Syndrome and his neighbor Chirsty. They are both at the stage in their lives where they take interest in the opposite sex and naturally Eddie takes interest in Chirsty, being that she is his neighbor and friend, but she does not welcome his attention, but she tries to be nice to him. Her mother, as well as, the other adults in her life are always telling her to be good to Eddie, because he can’t help he was born that way and sh ...more
Apr 17, 2010 Mallori rated it it was amazing
Summary: This heart-warming book is about a young boy who has down syndrome. He follows a neighbor girl and boy into the woods to the pond and shows the young girl the beauty of the world and people. He reminds her that it is what is on the inside that counts.

Reading Level: Ages 4-8

Genre: Picture Book

Uses: Guided Reading, Independent Reading, Read-Aloud, Shared Reading

Social Issues: This is a great book to explain to children that no matter what type of disorder an individual has, they should a
Victoria Leininger-halpern
Nov 07, 2014 Victoria Leininger-halpern rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very good and can teach kids a very important lesson in treating others how you want to be treated. This story is about a little girl with a neighbor who has down syndrome. At first she is mean to him and doesn't want him hanging out with her and her friends, but in the end she realizes he is a good person, and he is special and that's all that matters in being friends with someone.

I love the illustrations in this book, they are very realistic but muted at the same time,
Stephanie Field
Apr 28, 2015 Stephanie Field rated it really liked it
"Be Good to Eddie Lee" tells the story of an incredible friendship between Christy and her neighbor Eddie Lee who has Down syndrome. Christy does not want to be Eddie Lee's friend in the beginning, but her mother tells her she needs to be. Because of this, she ends up being kind to him and developing a friendship that she did not expect. This book is a perfect book to use in a classroom setting. When students that have disabilities are included in the general education classroom, like they shoul ...more
Sep 28, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Christy wants to play with JimBob, but Eddie Lee (who has Downs Syndrome) wants to tag along. Christy knows she should be nice to Eddie Lee, but at first she nor JimBob are nice. Despite their meanness, Eddie Lee still wants to be friends with Christy, and shows her a well kept secret of nature. Christy realizes how nice Eddie Lee is at the end of the book.

Although a bit dated, this book had a nice message. I liked the fact that Eddie Lee saw through Christy's initial behavior, although was disa
Katie Beth
Apr 09, 2016 Katie Beth rated it it was amazing
This book is an exceptional book to read to students as they are learning to appreciate and understand the differences present in students with disabilities. This story describes a child in a neighborhood who has down syndrome and is not always accepted by the other children. One day Eddie Lee shows a little girl a beautiful spot in the neighborhood and she begins to realize that he is not that different, and just wants to be accepted by his peers. This book about acceptance is a must read.
Feb 06, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story about two friends (a boy and a girl) who do not want to play with Eddie Lee, a boy with down syndrome, and are mean to him. He tags along behind them anyway. Eventually, the girl in the story discovers that Eddie Lee can be a great friend when he shows her things she never knew before. I would use this text as an example of how differences are not as great when we are accepting of each other. This would be a great lesson to teach, but especially if there was a problem i ...more
James Mead
Just because Eddie Lee has down syndrome he is often overlooked by other children. Finally one girl gives him a chance and he shows her an amazing place and and she realizes how wonderful Eddie Lee is. The point behind this story is to not be afraid of someone who is different. We should embrace our differences because they make us who we are. All Eddie Lee needed was a chance but most students voided him because of preconceived judgements. When he was given a chance he made people feel bad for ...more
Samantha Weatherford
This book is perfect for teaching children about acceptance, especially with children that have special needs. The book never reveals what Eddie Lee's special need is, but it does show that even though someone is different doesn't mean that they are not important or smart. He ends up showing the kids in the story that he thinks differently, but he teaches them things they didn't expect about himself, the world, and themselves. Great book for 2nd-4rth grade, may be to much for kindergartners or 1 ...more
Ashley Correll
Mar 07, 2010 Ashley Correll rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that shows the typical attitudes adn feelings that children have towards their peers that are different or who have special needs. At first Eddie Lee is seen as a pest by his neighbor, however they end up sharing special discoveries together in the woods and the book shares a message of acceptance and friendship that is perfect for younger children. This shows relations between boys and girls, children with special needs, respect, and friendship.
Jul 30, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
This is an important story about friendship and treating people with kindness and respect, no matter what their abilities are. It's a sweet tale of a lazy summer afternoon, with children being children. They are sometimes boastful, mean, or jealous. But they are also sometimes kind, gentle and adventurous. And we see how everyone has something to contribute. We enjoyed reading this story together and our girls had a lot of editorial comments as we read it, about how mean JimBud was being.
Elizabeth Schrank
This book is about a young boy who has down syndrom, however the book never states it. I thought this was a very moving story. It is a great book to use to teach children to accept others, even if they are different from us. It teaches that you can learn from everyone and should embrace others differences. The illustrations are great and help the reader to better understand what disablilty the young boy has.
Jun 28, 2012 Jessy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I like that this book shines light on disabilities and how positive those with disabilities can be in the face of anger from others. Students will be able to connect with the situation and see that maybe the things that they do to others are harmful.

This book would be a great tool in teaching that being different can bring some very good qualities to a classroom and enrich the overall understanding of life.
Be Good to Eddie Lee was an amazing story. This book portrays the reality of how a down syndrom, or disabled, person is truely treated. His big sister did not want to claim him or play with him because she was embarassed by how different he was. At the end she finally realizes that it isn't what is on the outside that matters it is what's on the inside. How I would use this book in my class is pretty self explanatory.
Emily Knight
Apr 22, 2012 Emily Knight rated it really liked it
Shelves: love, disability, friends
This is a very good book. I loved it being a special education major. This story shows that Eddie Lee is different then the other kids. His neighbors say their mother says they have to be nice to them because he is different. In the end Eddie Lee and his neighbors become good friends and they grow to love him.
Season Neal
Jan 29, 2012 Season Neal rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A very sweet story about a young boy, Eddie who has Downs Syndrome. This story follows Eddie as his neighbors ignore him, and do not want to play with him. They learn, however, at the end of the story that being different can mean being very special. A great story to teach tolerance and acceptance to your class regarding students with special needs.
Aug 02, 2012 Bonita rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all classroom teachers, special education teachers, counselors, parents
Eddie Lee is a boy who has Downs Syndrome. Eddie's friend (and neighbor girl) has been instructed by her mother to be good to Eddie Lee because he's special. Jim Bob, a neighborhood boy, challenges Eddie Lee's value as a person. The two neighborhood children learn some very valuable lessons about the significance of EVERY life.

Absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book!!!
Adam Hardesty
This is a great book that shines a little light on children with disabilities. I like that through out the book the author never says the child has a disability it is only assumed by the reader but if a child were to read this book they may not catch it. It is a good way to show that we should be accepting of all people no matter who they are.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Now One Foot, Now the Other
  • We'll Paint the Octopus Red
  • Moo Hoo
  • If She Only Knew Me
  • Walk On!: A Guide for Babies of All Ages
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • A Mother for Choco