Buried Pasts
read excerpt

Buried Pasts

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Even after eighteen years, Canadian pilot Mike Stafford still carries an overpowering sense of guilt for the death of his best friend during a huge RAF bombing raid over Berlin in 1944. He eventually returns to England for a first squadron reunion full of apprehension over what the visit may produce.

Siggi Hoffman, then a young German girl of twenty, also has terrible memo...more
Published June 10th 2012 by Great Minds Think Aloud (first published January 1st 2009)

Terri Lynn
While this beautiful book has elements of mystery and suspense, it is also a well-done drama that would be worthy of being made into a major motion picture with an Academy Award winning cast, director, and producer.

BURIED PASTS is set partly in March 1944 but mostly in March of 1962. In 1944, Canadian pilot Mike Stafford flies an RAF bomber from England into Berlin and drops his load of bombs on the city along with many other bombers. On the plane's return to England, they take a hit that forc...more
Kitty Bullard
"BURIED PASTS" BY GEORGE STRATFORD

I am a lover of history and I truly enjoy both fiction and non-fiction of that genre. The greatest part of reading a historical fiction novel is when some of the true history is mixed in.

George Stratford has woven such a wonderful tale that has the ability to make you truly feel both sides of the story. This novel about a Canadian WWII pilot and the fated night he lost his best friend is told in such vivid detail it reminded me of one of those beloved black and...more
Rhod
Rather liked this book. Some of the events that unfolded seemed a little to dramatic, but all in all, I thought it was an interesting story. The brief review for this book was spot on, as they say. I would read more from this author.
Irwin
Oct 31, 2011 Irwin marked it as to-read
I just won this book free as a goodreads giveaway! I am waiting to read it. Thanks.
Marcia Forecki
This is a very enjoyable book by a very skilled story teller.
Kathy
The author resents the reader with a great WWII story about bomber crews during the war. The descriptions and action are realistic enough to make the reader fee as if he is on a real mission with the crew, and mixes in the emotions, intrigue, excitement and fears just as the crew experiences them. In one night, during a bombing raid something goes terribly wrong. Canadian pilot Mike Stafford and his crew go down, but his close friend Jimmy mistakenly takes Mike's chute and dies while landing. In...more
Melissa
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

WOW - that is the first thing that comes to mind when I want to describe this book. I never thought I would say I loved a historical novel but this was an amazing story. The storyline was well developed and the characters were relatable. You seemed to ride all the emotions the characters did. I cannot wait to read more from this author!
Peg
Two worlds coming together; a RAF pilot who participates in the bombing over Berlin during WWII and a woman who was on the ground in Berlin during those raids. Seventeen years after that event a reunion of the allied air crew brings all the horrors of that time to the forefront. The book is interesting and suspenseful at times, but the author, in my view, could have written a more compelling novel. Thus, I gave it three stars. I wanted to like it more than I did.
Tracy
Enjoyed the story. It paints a good pictures of the impact of war on the lives of everyone involved, long after the war is over.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Sarah Tg
Sarah Tg marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Summer Sartain
Summer Sartain marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Euni
Euni marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Tabitha Wood
Tabitha Wood marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
John Kilgallon
John Kilgallon marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Cynthia Paulsen
Cynthia Paulsen marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Mary Virginia
Mary Virginia marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
T
T marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Loraine
Loraine marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
BC
BC marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I was born in South London in 1944, just 4 days before Hitler's V1 flying bombs began falling down all over our neighbourhood. Our house was lucky and survived.

Dad was a Canadian bomber pilot with the RAF. He was killed while on his 28th mission when I was 6 weeks old. Mum was also did her bit working at top-secret Bletchley Park where the German Enigma code was broken.

My first novel, IN THE LONG...more
More about George Stratford...
In the Long Run Ain't Finished Yet In The Long Run Buried Pasts - excerpt from 2011 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Entry A Trial of Souls (The Godling Chronicles, #4)