Start by marking “Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories

Darkness Within: A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories

Darkness Within, A Collection of Horrorific Short Stories
These bone-chilling, mind-wrenching short stories will leave you wondering about the people around you...and yourself!
The Owners-What happens to us when the original owners of the planet finally show up?
More To Me-When the ugly truth is too much to bear, some people make their own truth...and it can get even uglier.
P
Published September 7th 2011 (first published June 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Within

Books
Jul 15, 2015 Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2015
As I’ve mentioned countless times before, I’m not really into the whole anthology thing. But, I was pleasantly surprised by this collection of short stories and found myself captivated and enthralled by this author’s dark imagination.

I enjoyed every story and don’t have any particular favorites. However, two stories that stood out for me above the rest are Popcorn (because I love cats and can easily believe that they can be manipulative and evil), and also Crown Vic (because of the twisted humo
Kate's Reads
Oct 11, 2012 Kate's Reads rated it really liked it
"Darkness Within" by Christine Dougherty is a collection of short stories of a horrifying nature. I've previously read her novel "The Devil Stood Up" and the first three chapters of the novel are included in this collection. Dougherty has a dark style and the stories are suspenseful and disturbing. I'll highlight a few of my favorites.

In 'The Owners' the original owners of the planet have returned and have set child against parent in the slow methodical murder of the human race. Edgy and disturb
Kit★
Read the story Popcorn, which I had downloaded as a freebie. Turns out I also have this collection it came from, must've grabbed it as a freebie too at some point, so I will definitely be getting to the rest of the stories soon.
As for Popcorn, I thought it was a pretty good story. I guessed early on what Popcorn's deal was, but I liked seeing where it went. I love cats, but I admit sometimes they can look at you with those eyes, and yea, they can look mean. Ha! I enjoyed how the woman and the ca
♞ Pat Gent
Dec 21, 2014 ♞ Pat Gent rated it it was ok
Shelves: archives
I do not like "horror" fiction. I needed a fast read with the word "popcorn" for a scavenger word hunt and this one fit the bill. The fact that it was a short story collection made it even better because it was really fast to read front to back…

The stories were clever, I thought, and Dougherty has a knack for an unusual twist at the end, so this might be right up some other reader's alley. Just not the kind of stuff I care for, particularly.
Debbie
May 12, 2013 Debbie rated it it was ok
Some of the stories were okay but most were either too short so you were left wondering exactly how the story was supposed to end because it was left up in the air and not an author I would bother to read again unless she did a novel as this collection of stories were just not that good, a quick read but not very interesting in my opinion.
Renee
Oct 06, 2012 Renee rated it it was ok
The stories were ok, not bad, not great. But somewhere just past 50% in mid-sentence one story appears to jump into another. I tried to read on a few more pages but it didn't make any sense, so I assume it's a kindle publishing error.
James
Oct 08, 2012 James rated it liked it
So far, so good...I'm about halfway through the book. I was only disappointed in one story so far.
Theresa
Jul 07, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories.Most were good. Two of them I couldnt keep straight and didnt understand.
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Beau Johnson
Beau Johnson rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Angie Shaw
Angie Shaw rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Laronza Wiley-moore
Mar 28, 2013 Laronza Wiley-moore rated it really liked it
It was okay. Some of the stories were a little dry and predictable but it was a decent book.
Dawndie23
Dawndie23 rated it it was ok
May 31, 2014
Melissa Pomeroy
Apr 09, 2013 Melissa Pomeroy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stories in this were not very interesting and way too many typos and errors.
Donna Heards
Donna Heards rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2013
Visakh
Visakh rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
john rostkowski
john rostkowski rated it it was ok
May 19, 2015
ADignorantium
ADignorantium rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Martha Adams
Martha Adams rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Rod
Rod rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Richard Dominguez
Richard Dominguez rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Chris Dougherty
Aug 23, 2011 Chris Dougherty rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Frank Miller
Frank Miller rated it did not like it
May 26, 2015
Shawna
Shawna rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Billie Jo
Billie Jo rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Pantzareoptional
Pantzareoptional rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Chris Dougherty writes from a secluded haven in southern New Jersey at the edge of the Pine Barrens.
More about Christine Dougherty...