Start by marking “Five (Elemental Enmity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five (Elemental Enmity, #1)

Five (Elemental Enmity #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,539 ratings  ·  228 reviews
Rayla Tate dreams of escaping her ordinary world for a bright future in the art world. Throw in an overbearing aunt who is keeping major secrets, a disgruntled best friend tagging along to college, and a bunch of fae warriors waiting in the wings to claim her the minute she leaves her sleepy little town, and Rayla's dreams are about to shatter.

She soon discovers she is a c
Published August 10th 2011

Night Owl by M. PierceReal by Katy EvansSlammed by Colleen HooverGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Best First Book by New Author
157th out of 1,401 books — 3,119 voters
A Shade of Vampire by Bella ForrestThe Wronged Sons by John MarrsStarshine by G.S. JennsenTell Me You Want Me by Amelia JamesA Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
Best of Little-Known Authors
85th out of 3,813 books — 3,602 voters

More lists with this book...

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Mar 18, 2012 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Shelves: reviewed
UPATED REVIEW after re-read
Quick review

Cover: Visually Interesting
Rating R – for mild sexual situations.
Thumbs Up 3.5
Overall: Interesting.
Characters: Okay.
Plot: It was a new kind of story for me.
Page Turner: In ways
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend Yes
Book Boyfriend: Zach

SUMMARY (50 word or less)
The second time around reading was better. This story has a lot of potential and held a lot of good more so than bad. The story really took off towards the end. There is a hand full of hot guys and I can
Nicole
Loved Five! FAB-U-LOUS!

I mean wow what a cast of hunky men! I really enjoy books based on the fae and this one did notdisappoint. Rayla was a likableheroineand I loved the twists and turns her love life takes. I do enjoy a good love triangle or square but sometimes they can be over done and annoying. But I really enjoyed this one and it kind of sneaks up on you. I am really looking forward to the next one.

Ms Rich's debut novel is a winner and I am a fan!

Now the pics!

Ok let's get Rayla out of the
Christie Rich
Jul 21, 2012 Christie Rich added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: new-adult-title
I wrote this book so I love it.
Tanecia
Five:An Elemental Enmity by Christie Rich, was a fast paced, action packed read!

I honestly didn't know what i was expecting from this book coming in, because i usually pick the hardcore vampire love story over the pixie fairy tale. But this book was everything but cute and cuddly!
This book is a "Breath of fresh air" compared to my own stereo-typical views of fairies: having wings, pointy features,fairy dust,and being plain cute and boring... But Rich's take on the fairy world is filled with
Wei Cho
I was thrilled with the theme of this book: the elements, and was kind of surprised when in the synopsis the Fae world was going to be included. But never mind that, I was expecting too much for this book, I raised the bar too high and this book just disappointed me. I thought it was going to be a great, action-packed, fast-paced book where the protagonist discovers she can wield the elements and have to fight bad guys and creatures. But nothing like that, this was NOT fast-paced, it took me so ...more
Alexia
What an epic book!! I was hooked from page one. I loved the characters, every single one of them. The story line was excellent, like nothing I've read before. Five had just the right amount of romance, action and humour - I cannot express how much I enjoyed this book! The descriptions of everything, land, human, immortal even troll was amazing. Christie this is an awesome book and I can't wait to read more of your work!
Sheri
Rayla is pursuing her dreams by going away to college rather than staying close to home. Despite her aunt's protests, she sneaks off with her best friend, and that's when the fun begins. The whole story line of Five was different, and I appreciated that very much. The history of the Elementals and the Fae Lords was an interesting one. I really enjoyed the whole fantasy world that was created for this story. The book was action packed and fun to read. I mean really, who wouldn't want five hot Lor ...more
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
I recieved this ebook for review but that has in no way effected my opinion.

Summary:
Rayla leaves her family behind and goes to the school of her choice. In doing so she has unknowingly put herself in danger. She is thrown into a whole new world. A world where Fae Lords are searching for her.
Rayla has no idea that she is an elemental and destined to be bonded to one of the Fae Lords.

My Thoughts:
Christie Rich has created an amazing new world that I can not wait to re-visit! I was completely drawn
Karla(Book Addict)
Apr 08, 2013 Karla(Book Addict) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karla(Book Addict) by: @kayleigh-Marie Gore
Shelves: trapped-me
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile
Cassandra
4 out of 5 stars

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I do feel as though we didn't get enough background and some things seemed pretty out there, (view spoiler) and while it didn't make sense at the time.. I guess it DOES get explained later but it bothered me for quite a bit.

I really liked Rayla's character. Her relationship with Cassie bothered me in the beginning because they were always arguing and it was ju
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Wow, were to begin with this book...

I would give this a solid 4's. Hot fae guys (I'll take one of Luke, and one of Zach, maybe a few more to round out my harem) and a sassy female protagonist make this a very enjoyable read. I know technically this is YA due to the age of the main character, BUT it's college, not HS so it's older YA. There is some making out scenes, but other than that it is a 'safe' read for even younger teens.

I had a discussion with the author, and I was surprised to find out
Anjana
Okay, let me start at the beginning.

Christie Rich has a wonderful way with words. She's descriptive about everything in a way that made reading the book thoroughly enjoyable.
While the story started out unclear, the book kept me curious and got better with every chapter! The plot was really good!
Five's got a fresh take on Fae that got me sucked into Faeresia by the end of it. I TOTALLY loved the parts with Styx! (Funny,Funny, Funny!)

My only problem with this book was that the characters could
Diana (Mrs. Barrons)
Apr 04, 2012 Diana (Mrs. Barrons) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Diana (Mrs. Barrons) by: MC
Rayla is trying to escape her small town life by going to a good school half a country away, against her aunt's wishes. But as soon as she leaves the safety of her home, things start happening. Before she knows it she's thrown into the world of the fae, with fae lords after her, because she's supposedly an elemental, something she knows nothing about.

I loved the first 60% of the book. In the last 40%, the plot started to come together, but not in the way I would have liked. I'm going to start wi
Leanne
*Received e-book through Read It and Reap program from the Shut Up and Read! Goodreads group from author;
**More like 3.5 stars; also posted on Amazon.com under Leanne

Five is told by the point-of-view of Rayla, a young woman running away from her overbearing aunt to college, who suddenly discovers she is an Elemental – one who can bond with a fae lord in order to combine their powers to rule. Because the lords can sense Elementals, she becomes the object of pursuit of five fae very quickly. The
Nawnee
Feb 17, 2012 Nawnee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nawnee by: Shut up and Read group
I really enjoyed the story line in this book. I did find the main character a little sheltered, way to trusting. Rayla decides to go to a different town and college than what her aunt had set up for her. Wanting to keep her close to home but not giving her a good enough reason to stay Rayla rebels and get into bunches of trouble that she is totally unprepared for. Her aunt has told her nothing about herself or the reason she would never let her leave there small little town.
I liked the authors w
Tamara
Also posted on my blog http://bookruckus.blogspot.com

This book left me speechless for a couple of days... now that I've had some time to unwind and process, here's my review!

Well, where to start? At the beginning I guess... So, I must admit that this book did not wow me at the very beginning. It started with a girl (Rayla), frustrated with her home situation, wanting to go away to a college that her aunt doesn't approve of. I figured, OK.... pretty run of the mill first chapter. BUT then on
Cyndi Goodgame
Rayla has a few big surprises in store when she sneaks off to the college of HER choice. She doesn't know she has been protected all this time from what she really is and who will come to get her. What is she? I'm not telling you that. But there's more to it than meets the eye.

It starts out kind of slow, but as soon as she heads off to college, you are reeled in with wanting to know who the (bad guys...maybe good guys...who can tell when they are that gorgeous...and who cares, right?) are!

Zach.
Kristine Breines
I got this book though Read it & reap it. I have wondered at many occasion to join in, I'm not much of a reviewer, really. But alas, I could not resist this book, and I was not mistaken to join. I read it in a day, and the next day I had to get book number two, so I've already red that too :3

The first page of the book throws us right into the action of Rayla's argument with her aunt about going away for collage. So even though none of the "real" action of the story starts until a while into
Kelli Spear
Generally speaking, when reading any type of fantasy/paranormal story, my least favorite genre is faeries. I don't know whether I find them boring or if the authors haven't done a good job of convincing me that this life would be great, but I typically tend to avoid them. So signing up to read this was a big deal for me. And I'd like to thank Christie Rich for changing my views of the Fae.

In the beginning of the story, Rayla seemed like a brat. She was slightly selfish and mildly whiny and annoy
Sunny
Reading Five reminds me of my feelings about eating moving theater popcorn. When I get to the theater, the popcorn smells so tantalizing it makes my mouth water. However, once I'm into the popcorn, it soon becomes too much - I am saturated by the taste of artificial butter and the salt makes me thirsty. I was so enticed by the summary of this story. It has all the right elements of a rich fantasy - an ingenue who discovers that escaping from her sheltered life brings risks because Kayla is an ...more
Alyssa Pivirotto
Mar 07, 2012 Alyssa Pivirotto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I received this book through the Goodreads group, Basically Books.

So when I read the description for this book I was instantly intrigued. The whole concept of Fae is not something I've read about before so I was excited to see what this would be about. Overall the book had a very entertaining plot and definitely kept me interested throughout the whole book. There were few grammatical errors and the ones present didn't disrupt the flow of the book at all. The beginning was a little slow and ther
Lanie Malone
I got this book from Read It & Reap It. I felt that it started off a little slow but I can’t even tell you exactly where it picked up the pace. I went from about the 30% mark to the end in the blink of an eye. And when I hit the end I kind of wanted to toss my phone across the room because I wasn’t ready for it to be over yet.
I felt that some of the character interaction was a little off at some points but overall it was good. And I really wanted to snatch Cassie up by her hair and shake th
Nikki  Peterson
Feb 16, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans of The Fae
Recommended to Nikki by: ARR via Making Connections
Our main character is Rayla. She has led a pretty sheltered life and upon Graduation wants to go to college at St. Mary's College, nesxt to Notre Dame. Her Aunt won't agree to it and wants her to go to the local college. So Rayla and her friend Cassie leave in the middle of the night and drive to St. Mary's and Rayla vows she will call her aunt when she gets there.

Little does Rayla know but she has just set herself up for the hunt. Five Fae Lords will try and claim her due to her being an elemen
Jacqui
All I can say is WOW!!! One of my pet peeves is spelling errors, because it interrupts the story, there was one that I noticed but it didn’t bother me enough to break my focus on the story! I love the story line of the fey; it has an original twist that is cool. The need for an elemental’s powers is different most of the time the fey are so superior they need no one or no thing; it is nice to have a story where they depend on someone or something else. It would have been a nice touch if the stor ...more
E.L.
I absoletly loved this book! Five stars! The plot twists were great and it kept me on the edge of my seat while reading it. The story was different and new and lovely! Rayla is a great character and could definetly make my top five heroins (spelling?)of all times. I loved the Rambo moment, that cracked me up! I had a hard time putting this book down. I can not wait to read the next one and find out what happens. Will definetly recommend this book around!
Jeni Christen
Feb 24, 2012 Jeni Christen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeni by: Smashwords, provided by Read it & Reap book review
Shelves: christie-rich
I loved the book personally, it had everything I wanted and more. I loved the story line and the character Rayla, she's a little insecure but still has a lot of spunk. I wish that there was a little more about the secret order, but I'm hoping to find that out in the next book. I can't wait!! Already started the next book!!! I recommend this book to anyone, it was a fantastic read!
Rebecca
Love this book saga! Such beautiful places & people! Christie Rich gives such awesome descriptions of people & places that your mind can create these wonderful scenes. This is my escape from reality when things tough & the desire to "get away" comes to my mind. Such a imaginative & creative mind. I just can't wait til the next book comes out!
Leigh
Wow! I loved the book!The characters intrigued me. Rayla with her innocence refused to allow circumstances to dictate her life.The fae lords with their stunning looks were a little overwhelming. I liked the twists and turns to this story. The author leaves you wanting to know what is going happen next. Can't wait for the next book!
Delilah
I am not very well versed in the mythology of the British/Irish islands, which is where I think some of the characteristics of this book's faeries come from. The most I know about that kind of fae comes from Disney's Gargoyles and maybe a bit from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (this great white whale of books that I've never brought myself to finish reading and which movie version makes me fall asleep with it's gargantuan length).

Thus I come to fae lore with an open mind and a hope of great magic.
Elizabeth Gorski
Feb 25, 2012 Elizabeth Gorski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys paranormal romances or novels along the "Twilight" lines.
Five is a coming-into-her-own/paranormal romance novel written by Christie Rich. As Rayla Tate is just beginning to figure out who she is and what she may want out of life, she also finds that life and the fae may have alternate plans in store for her.

When I first began reading Five, I wasn’t a fan. Christie Rich was incredibly detailed and descriptive when giving the reader as much of the back story as possible, without giving away any plot twists and turns that may be in store later on. While
Free Books, .99 &...: Elemental Emnity by Christie Rich - International 4 10 Nov 14, 2012 01:34AM
Shut Up & Read: FREE for ALL 3 80 Sep 01, 2012 04:40AM
  • Fairy Metal Thunder (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Nordic Fairies (Nordic Fairies, #1)
  • Resurrection (The Guardians of Vesturon, #2)
  • Bridger (Bridger, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Eden-West (Eden, #2)
  • Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tale, #1)
  • Witchy, Witchy (Spellbound Trilogy, #1)
  • Amethyst  (Guardian, #1)
  • The Witches of West Shore (Broken Shell Island, #1)
  • Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #1)
  • Pandora's Key (The Key Trilogy, #1)
  • Enchantment (Channie, #1)
  • Blood Debt (Touched, #1)
  • Eternal Vows (The Ruby Ring, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Give Me (Wyrd and Fae #1)
  • Blood Faerie (Caledonia Fae, #1)
I love to be creative. It is more than a hobby. It is a need of mine. Whether writing, reading, painting, flower arranging or trying something new, I spend most of my time in the pursuit of freeing the creations inside me.
More about Christie Rich...

Elemental Enmity (4 books)
  • Dark Matter (Elemental Enmity, #2)
  • Genesis (Elemental Enmity, #3)
  • Horizon (Elemental Enmity, #4)
Dark Matter (Elemental Enmity, #2) Genesis (Elemental Enmity, #3) Horizon (Elemental Enmity, #4) Dreamscape (Netherworld, #1) Tainted (Netherworld Book II)

“You sort of have to know how to use a gun for it, to do you any good” 9 likes
“A thick sapphire halo encased his startling pale blue iris. When I got closer, I noticed a starburst of aqua around his pupil. It wasn’t the beauty of his odd eyes, exactly, that made my knees nearly buckle. I didn’t know what it was, but I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t think. My heart danced wildly to his tune.” 1 likes