Start by marking “Pretty Monsters (Josh of the Damned, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pretty Monsters (Josh of the Damned, #1)
read ebook

Pretty Monsters (Josh of the Damned #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Josh knew the night shift at the Quik-Mart would be full of freaks and geeks—and that was before the hell portal opened in the parking lot. Still, he likes to think he can roll with things. Sure, the zombies make a mess sometimes, but at least they never reach for anything more threatening than frozen burritos.

Besides, it’s not all lizard-monsters and the walking dead. The
Published October 30th 2011 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Monsters

El Presidio Rides North by Domashita RomeroI Fell in Love with a Zombie by Sean KennedyThe Dead Will Rise First by Logan KainHalf a Million Dead Cannibals by Kari GreggPretty Monsters by Andrea Speed
m/m romance with zombies
5th out of 65 books — 93 voters
Fallen by Lauren KateLeopard Moon by Jeanette BattistaChosen by P.C. CastVampireville by Ellen SchreiberDeadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz
COVER CLONES!
31st out of 362 books — 103 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauraadriana
HOLY CRAP!!! This was AWESOME!! I need like 250 pages more of this like RIGHT NOW!!

Ok so Josh just started working the night shift at the Quick-Mart, a bunch of monsters show up all the time to buy stuff. They're super ugly, but he doesn't care, they're harmless, and really good tippers. Besides, he's a night owl, and likes the hours. Also there's Hot Guy, dude loves sweets, and comes by all the time to buy some. Josh REALLY likes Hot Guy...and Hot Guy noticed. They get a little friendly...and u
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Free right now for the entire month of September, only from Riptide Publishing!**

**4.5 stars**

Okay, I couldn't wait to read this once I got this in my hot little hands. And this short was AWESOME! It is fun, it is funny, and it is really well done. My ONLY issue with it is that it was so freaking short! And this series is crazy expensive for the length. This one was a freebie but I would have been upset to pay $0.99 for only 15 pages. That would equal a $30 full length ebook!

I'm just going to
Well, well, well…what do we have here? Pretty Monsters by Andrea Speed is pure, grin-ear-to-ear, evil fun! My heart slyly smiled, sighed with satisfaction, and declared itself home in these pages with Josh, his candy aisle, and of course—the HOT Guy! :D

Do you know how hard it is to find laughs, creeps, cuteness, and a dash of hot sauce all in one stop? This is one stop shopping! Working the night shift at the local Quik-Mart, Josh encounters all sorts of freaks and creeps. The new hell portal in
Christina
This was such a cute story. I smiled throughout. Josh works at the Quik-Mart where zombies come in out and freely. They look like lizards and buy frozen burritos. Besides the zombies roaming around, there's also Colin, aka Hot Guy. Josh lusts after Colin and uses Colin's love for candy to finally talk to him. Josh finds out that there's not only ugly monsters but pretty monsters also exist.

I really want more!
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
Funny and crazy introduction to the series! Loved it can't wait to find out what Josh and Mr hottie get up to next on night shift :) bwhahaha :)
Ami
I read this first and apparently motivated her to read it, BUT Lauraadriana wrote a more coherent review *lol*.

I think she puts it perfectly well, when she wrote "Reading this story tonight was like just happening to turn on the TV when you just happen to catch the pilot to an awesome new show, by the end you always know two things. First, you're damn lucky you caught it. Second, you're coming back for more" because that is exactly how I feel.

Albeit short (only 15 pages), Andrea Speed gives su
Kassa
This is the first Andrea Speed story I’ve read and it makes me want to start on her backlist immediately. The story is only a few pages, barely enough to grab your attention but it does. The premise is pretty simple and it’s one I’ve seen before but that doesn’t mitigate the cute and fun details the author included. It’s a nice little story that whets your appetite but it’s not long enough or meaty enough *cough* to satisfy just yet.

The story begins with the protagonist, Josh, at an all night Q
Kari Gregg
Any story that includes burrito-eating zombies gets high marks from me, LOL!!! I may be predisposed to insta-love for this story, having spent a summer in college working at a convenient store, but...Hee hee hee, loved this! Hot Guy is awesome. ;D
PettyProse
Review: I enjoyed this author’s style and wit, but my overall rating is heavily influenced by my feelings about the length of this story.

Reviewed for Brief Encounters Reviews: http://briefencountersreviews.com/201...

This was fun to read, the author’s turn of phrase is witty and hot. It’s all from Josh’s internal monologue, passing the time at his uninspiring job. I love the way it’s accepted that weird alien creatures will be passing through. They may be gruesome or unpleasant, but the fun premi
L-D
Okay - my biggest issue with this? The length. I've been waiting for this to come out and couldn't believe my nook only showed it at 33 pages including all the author notes. I was pretty disappointed. Sometimes a novella will still have a pretty developed plot and developed characters, right? Not this 33 page short.

The concept was really great. Things were just about to happen and then - SCREEEEEEECH! Story is over and everything grinds to a halt. That was pretty much my impression. Is this a p
Harper
Very much enjoying this series! This is pretty much my review for the series itself, not just "Pretty Monsters."

As a side note, I'm glad to know Riptide will be releasing the stories in bundles from here on out. I don't mind paying for a short story, but when they're meant to be continued, or part of a series, I'd rather wait longer between installments and get a few at a time. Personal preference.

Anyway, if you're looking for romance, this series might not be for you. While Josh does have a boy
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
More more more more more!!!

Josh works the night shift at the Quick-Mart. Just next to it, the gates of hell open and every night his store has all kind of monster clients, except for Hot Guy.

This is a short a cute episode of a story which promises a lot of delight. I like the way Josh deals with his weird customers. He is strangely more worried about his employer and the occasional human wrecks. The faulty air conditioning is more troublesome than the monsters visiting his store. His crush on Ho
MandyM
Difficult to enjoy this EXTREMELY SHORT story. It's more like a small chapter or teaser to a novel. I'm used to snippets of this size being offered free on author's websites. The 99c price seems cheap but by the time you buy enough installments to make a real story you've probably spent $20. Short, unfinished, overpriced stories seem to be a specialty of this publisher.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I don't get the cover. That is a 10-12 year old boy. The MC in this is an adult. The bad cover is what had me waiting so long to read this as I don't like romance books about adolescents.

The story is great and funny but way too short. It's really the first one of a serial. I can't wait to read more.
Veronica /  V
MsMiz (Tina)
Do not be fooled by my rating. This has the making of an excellent story. It was only 15 pages, therefore I reserve the right to adjust the ratings as I read #2, which is pre-ordered.
Cryselle
Stories generally have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Even stories in series. If they don't have those elements, they are either not terribly well written or they are something else, no matter what they are called. Perhaps a vignette, or a chapter of a larger work. Pretty Monsters from Andrea Speed is a beautifully written something else.

There is little to the story that doesn't appear in the blurb, and frankly, quite a bit of promise of plot that appears in the blurb and not the story. The
Lady*M
The problem with these Nibbles, Kisses, Got 5 Minutes? reads or, in Riptide’s case, Ripples is that you start reading, blink and then they are over. This can make a reading experience very frustrating and that was certainly true in the case of Pretty Monsters. As a teaser for the new series, the first installment of Josh of the Damned worked perfectly, but it left me wanting more, more, MORE!

The blurb is very accurate, so I'll stick to the highlights of the story which will interest both Andrea
Eden Winters
This story is very different from the normal m/m romances I read crave can't live without. For one, it's short--really short. For another, where's the hot, steamy sex?

It's not the story or author's fault that I came into this with preconceived notions. Okay. Deep breath, clear mind, read Pretty Monsters as a short story, nothing else. Here's what I got:

a) A captivating story.
b) Engaging main characters.
c) Clearly drawn secondary characters.
d) A story that captured my full attention.
e) A story th
Alex Mar
This review is actually for Josh of the Damned: 1-3, which includes Pretty Monsters, Peek-a-Boo and Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1. This series has been on my TBR list for a long time so I was happy when I finally got to read them!

The world of Josh of the Damned is a pretty damn fun one to be immersed in. You've got Josh, a night clerk at the local convenience store which happens to be right next to a hell mouth. He gets all sorts of customers (and I do mean all sorts) and trust me, the mo
Amara

This is my first time reading anything by Andrea Speed, and what a little treat it was. This little goodie was quite a fun and entertaining read for me. I just love the world she’s created; Josh working the night shift at the Quick Mart with the Hell Vortex in the parking lot, catering to a clientele of monsters that step right on out… to buy junk food. Very original, well written, with great characters and quite humorous, she had me chuckling through the whole story.

Chuckle worthy…

“Thw
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
4 Stars

Josh just got a job as the night clerk at a convenient store. As if the people coming and going at three AM weren’t weird enough, things really get strange when a portal opens near the shop and zombies start showing up to buy frozen burritos. Those aren’t the only non-human being that start shopping there and they are buying stuff so business is good. There is one customer Josh refers to as “hot guy” that Josh really likes. The conversation hasn’t ever gone beyond telling the guy how much
Fehu
Rating: ★★★★ 3,5
Too short to really enjoy, just when I got a feeling for the story it ended, it's just 14 pages long on my ereader and really they fly by. The idea is fabulous and kind of funny. Also the story ends pretty abruptly, I had the sequel ready but that was also so short and then I was left wanting. It could actually have been 4.5 or 5 stars depending how it worked out but you don't know anything else of Josh, than where he works and no story why the monsters are appearing, which I bla
amomentsilence
Fun, enjoyable read. Nothing too fancy, but the humor was spot-on and the characters were likeable, even if the story was short. My biggest complaint was just that: way WAYY too short. It has me wanting to read the next installment immediately.
Cole Riann
This was a really great short and I know I'll love the series, but damnit, I wish it wasn't cut into such small chunks!

Still, I loved Josh -- he's so delightfully weird: "He shook his head. 'Zombies are no trouble. They always buy frozen burritos and leave.' He gasped. 'Holy shit, does that mean the beef in frozen burritos is mostly brains?'"

I can't wait to find out what Hot Guy does. We learn about him by the end of the story but he always shows up with "Post-Coital Eyes". He's gotta be a gigol
Taylor
Zombies, lizard guys, and a portal to hell? Sounds like my kind of book! I wanted something quick and funny, and well, it was definitely quick. This took all of about five minutes to read, but I guess that's what I should have expected for $.99. There was a lot of word repetition for such a short story, and nothing about it exactly grabbed me. Still, I find myself inexplicably wanting to get the next one. *shrugs* it was kinda cute, and I want to find out more about 'Hot Guy'.
Too short! I love Andrea Speed. I've been reading her Infected series via her blog for a while now and I am always impressed with her writing and wit. Pretty Monsters was no exception. People can get used to a lot of crazy things, so why not a hell mouth outside a convenience store! As a former late night counter jockey, I loved the little details added to the story, like the polyester top. I'm looking forward to the next installment of the series. I just wish it had been longer!
Tami (synchro from BL)
This was so short, it doesn't qualify as a novella - it is short story length, and should have been clearly tagged. I feel cheated because I paid for this - and this was basically 10 pages.
To give a clear impression: On my kindle, clicking through title, disclaimer bla bla, the story started at already 23%.
And it was not even a real story.
It was just some short scene in a convenience store/supermarket in an alternative universe where a hot guy comes on to the shop guy.
Mickie
Andrea Speed is My Favorite M/M writer and this novella showcases why. 1. It was Laugh out loud funny.
2. The world was so normal but also twisted just enough to make it work.
3. Josh is lovable and witty.
4. I will never look at frozen Jiffy Mart burrito's the same way again.

My only complaint is it was way to short I want More.
I know I will be picking up Installment As soon as Possible. ( Is it January Yet)
Absynthe
My biggest complaint is the same as other people's. This is way too short. It should be a full length book and this short story would be a great first chapter.
  • Sucks & Blows
  • First Watch
  • Blacker than Black
  • Surprises (Romeo Club #1)
  • Foreshock
  • A Chip in His Shoulder (Falling Sky, #1)
  • Cruce de Caminos
  • I Fell in Love with a Zombie
  • Grown Men (HardCell, #1)
  • Master Class (Master Class, #1)
  • Zombie Wonderland
  • Abercrombie Zombie
  • Once a Marine
  • Dark Soul Vol. 2 (Dark Soul, #2)
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Decadence (Dominion, #0.2)
  • Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
  • Where You Hurt the Most
3020553
Super nerd. I'm still the EIC at Cx Pulp. I've won Rainbow Awards, and still can't believe it.
More about Andrea Speed...

Josh of the Damned (6 books)
  • Peek-a-Boo (Josh of the Damned, #2)
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #1 (Josh of the Damned, #3)
  • Night of the Dust Bunnies (Josh of the Damned, #3.5)
  • Josh of the Damned Triple Feature #2:  The Final Checkout (Josh of the Damned #4)
  • Merry Christmas, Josh! (A Josh of the Damned Free Ficlet) (Josh of the Damned #4.5)
Infected: Prey (Infected, #1) Infected: Bloodlines  (Infected, #2) Infected: Life After Death  (Infected, #3) Infected: Freefall  (Infected, #4) Infected: Shift  (Infected, #5)