Start by marking “The Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Keeper

The Keeper (The Books of Mortals 0.5)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,818 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
A shortstory prequel to Forbidden, Ted Dekker's upcoming novel.
Published (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keeper

Tina
Full post at One More Page

If you're still not sure if you want to splurge on Forbidden by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee, the authors have released a short story prequel to it, entitled The Keeper , available for free as an ebook. In this short story, a man named Talus meets two hermit monk brothers who he chooses to share the terrible secret that he has been carrying, to recruit them in helping protect the knowledge that will save humanity. This short story is a very quick read, and if you've read
Ron
"It was short. It was obvious. I liked it." Sort of.

Good writing. Barely enough story to set the hook for the longer series to which this a sequel. As a stand alone, it's . . . short.

Brian
Sep 19, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dekker
This was a very short story, but also served as a very nice introduction into Dekker's new book, Forbidden. It not only sets the stage for some of the main elements in the story in a compelling fashion that hooks the reader on this new world very quickly, but it ties the events of this book back into his Circle trilogy which long time Dekker fan's should enjoy.
Gabrielle Carolina Nash
Something just didnt sit right with me about this short story.

Pretty prose, not purple, but perhaps a bit too much showing and not enough telling? The attitude of the story wasn't engrossing, it was stale, and suffice it to say, as our first date did not go so well, I won't be picking up the novels for consumption.
Margaret Metz
Jun 14, 2012 Margaret Metz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was certainly designed to make you drool in anticipation for "Forbidden." I am not immune - I fell neatly into their little trap and have the hardcover sitting in front of me as we "speak." I cannot wait to lift the lid on their Pandora's box (so to speak) and continue the adventure.
Michael
Sep 05, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ted-dekker
This short-story prequel to Forbidden reveals an interesting link between the world of the Circle and the world of Ted's new book series. The new series will take place between the end of the Raison Strain infection and the creation of Other Earth. I can't wait to read the next book!
Lou
A nice short story with a little bit more of information about the Books of Mortals.
Bridget
Nov 25, 2011 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice that this short prequel to his book Forbidden is free on Kindle.
Greg Dill
A short story. Read it in less than an hour. Overall, a good read. Creative allegory. I could see where the story is going. But, just not enough to generate interest in reading the longer series for me.
Niffer
Jan 27, 2016 Niffer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, ebook
I understand why authors write these short little prequels, or the little "in betweener" books where the action falls between two main stories in the series--they want to keep their fans interested and appeased while they work on the next book in the series. Sometimes these little ebooks are really informative and help to explain the motivation of a character we're not as familiar with, or fill in a plot hole, or answer a question that fans might have.

This book really doesn't do any of that. Thi
Ginny B
Jun 26, 2013 Ginny B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story doesn't really give you an idea how short this story is. More of a teaser. Still, how can you go wrong with an opening line like, "The day Pavel and Gustov Malincovich learned that they were dead was like any other day in the Russian wasteland...."?

I have been a fan of Tosca Lee since I read Havah: The Story of Eve. And to read a series written by both her and Ted Dekker gives me goosebumps. This short story simply sets you up for Forbidden. Not enough detail to give the story away,
Yianna Yiannacou
This was pretty good for a free prequel to the story Forbidden – which I have not read. It was written in a way that you could sit down and just enjoy reading and getting lost in it.

It is about two monk brothers who have secluded themselves in Russia’s wastelands. A stranger comes, a lone man by the name of Talus, and informs the two monks that their leader and superior had been assassinated. He then goes to tell them that there is a new leader but he is ridding the world of all emotion. Talus
Randall Christopher
This was a very quick read, as it felt more like a prologue than anything. It completed the task it set out to do, though. It introduced the story and characters and got me interested to read the actual series of books this actually starts. I absolutely love the Circle series, and this brought to mind that storyline, especially since this seems at lesat connected in some way. I have read many of Dekker's books, but haven't been totally interested in some of his later titles, but this helped me r ...more
Xochiquetzalli
“So you are telling me that you feel nothing else. No sorrow. No empathy.”
“No,” his brother replied. “And it is our prayer that we never do.”

It's a very short story that does exactly what it's supposed to: Make you want to read the book it prequels (Forbidden). It's confusing and has me wondering... I'm still not completely sold with the whole tinkering with the "DNA responsible for controlling specific functions of the limbic system where the emotions reside" resulting in killing humanity. A de
Megan
Mar 30, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this short story on my kindle mostly because it was free, but then I found myself quite hooked in a delicious plot. Soon I will be purchasing and reading Forbidden so I can know what happens and whether or not they...well just trust me that it's very good for a short story. It is part of a group of books that seems to sort of tie in to the Circle Series. I am so looking forward to this. P.S. The date I finished this book is blank because I finished this short story some time ago but ...more
Julie
Apr 03, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I loved that even though Dekker said he would keep the Forbidden series separate from the Circle series, he still lets a connection slip through in this prequel. I thrive on the connections in his books so I was very excited when I read it.

It's a short read, I read it in one car ride. So It's not something you have to fully commit to, however you might want to make time to read Forbidden after this because Keeper really draws you in and you just want to keep going. I hope you enjoy it too.
Jasmine Evans
Jun 08, 2012 Jasmine Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-fun
This short story (very short story) is a prequel to Ted Dekker's book Forbidden. The second book in the series, Mortals, has just come out this month and I can't wait to get my hands on it. The Keeper is a pretty good short story and I'm glad I read it after I read Forbidden. I like that Dekker mentioned the main character from The Circle Series (which include my favorite books of his). Now I can't wait for the next book!
Samara Scott
The plot was slightly interesting, but it wasn't enough to make me want to read the series. Why? Because the pacing was quite slow to me despite this being a short story but it may suit others' fancy if they're interested in fantasy that has a post-apocalyptic theme to it. The writing was somewhat driveling on with insignificant details that in no way enhanced the plot nor characters, but some details were great at portraying imagery.
Richard Huang
May 20, 2016 Richard Huang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an extremely short but satisfying prequel to the Book of Mortals series. It not only leaves a very nice cliffhanger to persuade the reader to read the series, but it also includes a lot of action in itself nonetheless. I would recommend reading this before starting the Book of Mortals series.
Heather
I haven't read any other books in this series. It seems to go along with the Circle trilogy which I really liked. This was a very short story indeed. I think I read it in maybe twenty minutes. Since I haven't read the rest of the series, I'm not sure of the purpose of this short story except to be a very quick setup for the rest of the series.
Meg
Apr 09, 2014 Meg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabbing your undivided attention from the first line, this is an epic prequel to Forbidden. I am on the edge of my seat after reading a handful of e-pages of text; I need to read the next book! This is well-written, with vivid characters, and succinct diction. Go now, and read it; whet your appetite for the rest.
Ashley
This was a short story meant to follow Ted Dekkers other book Forbidden.
I enjoyed this read ALOT it was a Lil confusing at first but as you went on it was a well written and tasteful story. I enjoyed the characters and loved the twists in the story it was a great book I am very happy to have read this and am interested in other books by Ted Dekker
Vicki
Oct 15, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short prequel is one that I'd probably want to read again after reading book 1, but it was pretty good prequel. The twins in the story are dead but don't know it, so I'm not sure if that's set up with little info to help the reader understand the characters in book 1 or if we meet and know the characters in book 1 and after that the reader would understand the prequel better.
Dustin
Jun 20, 2013 Dustin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Per the synopsis, The Keeper is the prequel to Forbidden, the first installment of The Books of Mortals trilogy, co-written with Tosca Lee.
Matan Lemuel  Odell
Very cool concept for a book and it definitely led me to purchase the book that it prequels, "Forbidden." I love the idea for this book. I like that it imagines what the world will look like 500 years from now after we've tinkered with our genetics.
heather
Jan 14, 2012 heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can is: YES! YES! YES! I am so glad I already have a copy of Forbidden so I can just go straight to the first full length book in the new series!!

As a HUGE Circle fan The Keeper has me very excited about this new series!!
Sena
Mar 05, 2012 Sena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this last night before I went to bed and all I could think before I drifted off to sleep was that I had to get my hands on a copy of Forbidden! I now have it on my ereader and can't wait to read every last word.
Alicia Kitchen
Mar 08, 2012 Alicia Kitchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definately a good teaser for Forbidden. I read Forbidden and then The Keeper, and it confirmed what I was thinking through Forbidden - that the vial of blood was the last remaining from Thomas Hunter!! Great tie between the Circle Series and The Books of Mortals....
Sarah E Mudge
Nov 01, 2016 Sarah E Mudge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book.

Once again Ted Dekker has once again found a unique way to explain deeply Spiritual things. What it is like to be alive in a world that is Spiritually dead and the price that comes with the precious blood of Jesus.
Danielw
Oct 15, 2014 Danielw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is no normal book. Its basically a chapter that sets the stage for the Mortal series by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee. For what its supposed to do its very effective. It actually made me want to read the first book, Forbidden, which I got today. We will see how it goes from there......
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • The Faith of Ashish (Blessings in India, #1)
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • Eye of the God
  • The 13th Tribe  (Immortal Files #1)
  • Relentless (Dominion, #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Illusion
  • The Most Important Thing Happening
  • Book of Days
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Waking Lazarus
  • The Dead Saint
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Sons and Princes
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...

The Books of Mortals (3 books)
  • Forbidden (The Books of Mortals, #1)
  • Mortal (The Books of Mortals, #2)
  • Sovereign (The Books of Mortals, #3)