Start by marking “Equilibrium (Superpowered Love #1)” as Want to Read:
Equilibrium (Superpowered Love #1)

Equilibrium (Superpowered Love #1)

Econ student Hansen Marks has been hot for Sam MacLeod since they first bonded over their secret superpowers--literally hot, since Hansen can produce fire from thin air. But soccer star Sam was always covered in girls, so Hansen kept his attraction in the closet and convinced himself that "best friends" was better than nothing.

When Sam's electrical powers freak out in publ
ebook, 1st Edition, 97 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about Equilibrium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Equilibrium

Mandapanda
Aug 23, 2011 Mandapanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Excellent friends-to-lovers romance with a slightly supernatural theme. Hansen and Sam have been best friends since they found out they both have the same powers. Now they are adults and sharing a flat but Sam's powers seem to be out of control and their secret is out. This forces the two MC's to confront their feelings.

This is a well written and easy to read story with very engaging characters and a seductive, slow-burn build-up to some very passionate sex scenes. The supernatural element is li
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
What I Liked:
I didn’t completely hate it
It was fairly short

What I Didn’t Like:
At first it seemed like everyone knew about the “awakened” with all the science explanation for why they were the way they were but then it turns out very few people know about them so it seemed to contradict itself

It was apparently a GFY where he went instantly gay. He broke up with his girlfriend and hooks up with his male roommate that night. No explanation given never appears to question it or seem like he ever wa
Cole Riann
The writing is good overall, I just wish that more had happened. There really wasn't much of an original plot despite what potential there was. I liked the characters. I suppose my real complaint is just that it seemed like very little was happening, and that made the pace rather slow, especially for a short novella such as this.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Aug 22, 2011 Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* marked it as to-read
Shelves: free-won, loose-id
Omg omg I LOVE this cover!
Beatrice
Aug 24, 2011 Beatrice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was... Quite different, frankly. I know these types of books are out there, but this is the first M/M book I've read that has a superpower theme. I was a bit apprehensive, of course, just like the way people are when trying out something new. But a lot of things worked here for me - and I'm not even sure if I can list down all the reasons why I liked this book a lot. Because honestly? Some part of me still isn't sure what I liked so much about this.

What I do know is the fact that Hanse
Ami
The core of this story is a friends-to-lovers series, with a touch of GFY (since Sam, an electric type, dates women before). I enjoy Hansen's voice (he's the narrator, a thermal type) -- it is a bit dorky but funny too. I mean, come on, explaining about he doesn't date by using Nash's (from A Beautiful Mind) Equilibrium theory? That's a first :p

Unfortunately, there is a lack of world-building/background to give this story a context, and make it great. And despite the "scare" that happens near th
Lexi Ander
Sep 03, 2011 Lexi Ander rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-fantasy
This is a very sweet best friends to lovers story. I couldn't help but hold my breath for Mark who worried that Sam would not want to stay because Mark figured Sam was basically straight. Sam made me proud as he stayed steadfast. I liked the paranormal aspect and the little problems it caused. I couldn't truly view Trent as a 'villain' and felt sorry him...okay he was dangerous but I still felt for him. A very enjoyable afternoon read. 3.5 Stars
Tracy
Apr 01, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
See, I always *knew* there was stuff going on most of us didn't know about!

Sam is a jock-boy (only a bit smarter than that usually implies) who has a little extra kick of electricity -- make that a BIG extra kick of electricity -- running through him.

Hansen's a bit of a nerd who can manipulate temperature.

I love that there's Real Science floating around -- Sam's electricity builds up and needs to be released and in order to do it safely he has to be grounded. Nothing magical, just touching the g
Reenie
Aug 25, 2011 Reenie rated it really liked it
Yeah, yeah, disclaimer, I know the author (and the Hamiltonian Neuronautics Society has a policy against selling out by endorsing products... but this is Outreach!), so you know...

Whatever, this is still a lovely story. Super powers of sciencey awesome aside, though they do add a nice tint to everything, the charm is the fact that this is a story about two great characters falling in love. Or maybe rather being in love already, but having to figure that part out - Hansen being too smart for his
Elizabetta
A paranormal romance about guys with superpowers (awakened) living amongst us non-powerful (sleepers), NO vamps/weres/sprites or demons, they just control physical phenomena like heat and electricity.

Hansen and Sam are college roomies; Hansen is gifted with ‘heat/fire control’ and helps Sam learn to control his ‘electric’ abilities. This is a GFY with Sam seemingly into girls until he discovers that Hansen has been secretly yearning for him for four years. There’s a pretty immediate tur
Jess Candela
Sep 06, 2011 Jess Candela rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2011
I loved Sam and Hansen, and thought they balanced each other beautifully. The first scene in the cafeteria reminded me of my own college days, but I wish the book were a little longer with a bit more world-building. I was able to figure out a lot in context, but more detail/background/explanation would have been nice.
I liked that Sam was clear he was bisexual and didn't seem to have any angst about it, even with Hansen trying to push him into the classic "straight or gay" false dichotomy. I also
Jayhjay
Jan 06, 2012 Jayhjay rated it really liked it
This review was originally published on my blog Joyfully Jay

Hansen Marks first meets Sam MacLeod when he sees him almost blow up a toaster in the college cafeteria. Hansen instantly recognizes that Sam is someone like himself -- a person with "awakened" superpowers. In Hansen's case, he can create and control fire, while Sam's powers lie with electricity. Sam is shocked when Hansen approaches him because he never realized there were others out there with powers too. Unlike Hansen who grew up in
Julesmarie
This may very well be just my personal issues, having grown up with superhero stories, but I see "superpowers" in a blurb and I just automatically imagine the superpowered trying to use their abilites to help people. So when that wasn't at all what this story was about, I was more than a little taken aback.

The whole tone of this was just so very much different from what I had anticipated. Ominous and angsty and rather frustrating at times, as opposed to the light-hearted super-powers story I'd e
Voss Foster
Dec 22, 2011 Voss Foster rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: superhero fans, gay erotica fans
Grabbing a book this small, a reader can easily shelf it for a good month or two, if they are unwise to the glory of Katey Hawthorne. While the book is an absolutely amazing book to read on a cold day, wet day, boring day, it deserves to be read aside, as well.

The tension and panic of the characters grips you and pierces you, carrying you along for Sam and Hansen's wild ride. Unlike many erotica books, you actually really care what becomes of these two characters and, unlike a lot of women writi
Teresa
4.25 Stars

****Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance****

I was eager to read Equilibrium for two reasons: First, I had read book three in the series, Nobody’s Hero, accidentally out of order, and enjoyed it. Secondly, I am making my way through the authors attending this year’s GayRomLit Retreat and Katey Hawthorne is on that list. I was pleased to find Equilibrium did not disappoint!

Sam was adorable, and it was sad to think of the struggle he went through before he met Hansen. I liked how Hansen hand
Lauren
3.5 stars - I enjoyed this story and the characters. It was a nice m/m paranormal romance with a pretty interesting premise. There was so much potential to make this a truly AMAZING story, and I just wish that certain parts of the story had been developed more. For example - and without giving too much away - the trip to Hansen's parents and the whole deal with Trent could have been developed much more, and it would have been nice to have had a better understanding of the whole ordeal of what it ...more
Pia Veleno
Aug 23, 2011 Pia Veleno rated it really liked it
Interesting how many people called this GFY...(minor spoiler) (view spoiler)

Anyway, I like the light sweetness of this story. Put this one on the beach reads shelf. No
Corinne
Aug 23, 2011 Corinne rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-mcs
Disclaimer The First: I consider the author a good friend.
Disclaimer The Second: Romance/erotica isn't normally my genre.

This was a quick, fast-paced read and a ton of fun (although a little awkward to read on the tram, see also: Disclaimer the Second). The chatty narrative, the humor, and the characters' smart-assery totally worked for me. If you like dorky boys, superpowers, and a grounded, engaging voice -- or, you know, just a plain good read -- you should totally pick this up.

Also, I'm pret
KV Taylor
I wrote this book (yes, I have two pen names, I'm like a f#@kin ninja), so I don't actually intend to review it... obviously. But it's meant to be a fun little romantic adventure type thing. It strikes me as the sort of thing that will please those who like superpowers, dorky hot dudes, comic books, and economic theory.

Wait, scratch that last one. But I mentioned the dork part, right?
SueM
3.5 stars. A good M/M paranormal romance with a friends-to-lovers theme. Sam and Hansen were cute together although I found Sam's gfy-ofy conversion a little too easy to believe. I would have also enjoyed a little more depth to the background story - some events were mentioned but quickly glossed over, but on the whole, it is a good fun story that doesn't require too much concentration to read.
Liz (Bugetta)
What a cute story. I loved the MCs and the world of the awakened (those with powers to control heat and cold and electricity) and the sleepers (everyone else) was really cool. And the romance between Hansen and Sam was super hot and super sweet - my favorite combination. So glad there are more books in this series!
Natalie
I really, really enjoyed this. The writing is bright and fresh, the characters are charming, and the science-y supernatural stuff is so intriguing. Also, bonus points for some seriously hot sex scenes.
Galia
Oct 11, 2016 Galia rated it it was ok
Davina
Aug 26, 2011 Davina rated it liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
ok. felt like i was waiting for something not sure what thou. maybe it's all the wolf loving i was reading
Chris
Jul 03, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Good paranormal m/m romance about two friends and roommates, one straight, who have some extraordinary abilities that they need to keep hidden from regular people... whoops.
EscaPe iNTo thE PaGEs
This was a sufficient read for me to pass time at work (while of course I should of been working)..Hansen and Sam seemed a little too manufactured for the most part I would have preferred more information on the abilities and what causes them..There was also a lot of sex which was ok:)
Jenn
May 19, 2017 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, hot, and some nice world building, but I didn't really feel very attached to either MC. Very fast read though... will have to think a while about reading more of the series or not.
Lucy
Mar 04, 2017 Lucy rated it liked it
Shelves: zz02-march-ult
Not usually into the "powers" kind of story but this was cute enough and I like the friends to lovers aspect.
Kirsten
Nov 14, 2016 Kirsten rated it did not like it
DNF. I just couldn't get into it. It was really slow going.
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jun 13, 2014 The Novel Approach Reviews rated it really liked it
Hansen is gay and secretly in love with Sam. Sam, on the other hand, is involved with his current girl and seemingly is not interest in dallying with the opposite sex. However, much like electricity, love sparks at the unlikeliest of times, and once set aflame can rarely be contained. Will it consume Sam or Hansen? Or will an outside force bent on their destruction intervene before the spark can burst into flame?

It is my delight this week to review the five novels currently in Katey Hawthorne’s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Something For Nothing
  • Across the East River Bridge
  • Blood Howl (Sanguis Noctis, #1)
  • Healer (The Institute #1)
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • Champion (Indigo Knights, #2)
  • Calling the Show
  • Inheritance (Dominion #1)
  • Accidentally In Love
  • Spell Cat (The Aloysius Tales, #1)
  • Liquid Glass
  • Hainted
  • Hell Cop
  • The Zero Knot
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Aquamarine
  • Dudleytown (Cornwall Novellas, #1)
  • Trompe L'oeil
Hi! I'm Katey. I write superpowered and fantasy romance of an LGBTQIA bent. I live at Superpowered Love -- kateyhawthorne.com.

I know, I know, it looks like I don't read anything here at GoodReads. But I do, I swear. My reviews and stuff are all over at my other GoodReads thingie, KV Taylor. Relevant shelves to Katey Hawthorne stuff:

Romance
LGBTQ
and
Comics, Graphic Novels, and Trade Paperbacks
More about Katey Hawthorne...

Superpowered Love (9 books)
  • Riot Boy (Superpowered Love, #2)
  • Nobody's Hero (Superpowered Love, #3)
  • Losing Better (Superpowered Love, #4)
  • Re-Entry Burn (Superpowered Love, #5)
  • In Distress (Superpowered Love, #6)
  • The Playhouse (Superpowered Love #7)
  • The Takedown (Superpowered Love, #8)
  • Superpowered Love Boxed Set