Start by marking “Gunpowder Plot” as Want to Read:
Gunpowder Plot

Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple #15)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  679 ratings  ·  50 reviews
In 1924 Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher travels to a friend's home to witness the estate's famous Guy Fawkes celebration. However, she gets more than she bargained for - family tensions, murder and an apparent suicide.
Published 2011 by Robinson Publishing (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Gunpowder Plot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gunpowder Plot

Olga Godim
This is one of the best novels in the series: lighthearted and fast moving. Daisy and her husband, Detective Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard Alec Fletcher, investigate the double deaths of a tyrannical father and his female guest. Nobody is sorry about the father, who terrorized his family for years, but the guest was a nice, friendly woman. Why was she killed?
Quirky family relationships and a host of colorful secondary characters complicate the investigation, as usual. And as usual, I found a
Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher, largely pregnant, is visiting Edge Manor, at her friend Gwen's invitation, to write an article about the Guy Fawkes' Day celebration there, which has been celebrated for four hundred years. She finds Gwen's father, Sir Harold Tyndall, upset because his only son Jack wants to become an aeronautical engineer and Jack's mentor, a man of clearly the wrong class, is interested in Gwen. But when the celebration ends with two dead bodies in Sir Harold's study, Daisy's husband, ...more
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Another fast, fun read. I was sure I knew who dunnit . . . and I was wrong.
Daisy Dalrymple goes to stay with her old school friend Gwen Tyndall at Edge Manor in the Cotswolds to write about the traditional Bonfire Night and fireworks celebration they have for an American magazine. While the fireworks display is taking place Gwen's father, Sir Harold is shot dead along with a guest from the party. Alec Fletcher, Daisy's husband, is just finishing a case in Birmingham and so is on hand to be called in to investigate. I enjoyed the pace of this story. It takes place over ...more
B.R. Stateham
If you like Agatha Christie novels you are going to like this one from Carola Dunn. More than anything I liked peeling back Time and peering into History and observing English society of the 1920's. Fascinating!

And of course, after all the characters were laid out on who might be the killer, I missed out completely! (which I liked immensely!)

A very good 'cozy' styled mystery in the classic sense of the word.
This is the 15th entry in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series, and I have enjoyed every one of them. The stories take place in England after World War One. Daisy (a magazine writer, and a member of royalty) and her husband Alec (a detective cheif inspector with Scotland Yard) are always up for solving a mystery. While Alec may wonder how his wife manages to stumble into murder mystery after murder mystery, Daisy ignores her title and is not afraid to get her hands dirty while tracking down the gu ...more
I am very conflicted. The mystery-plot was simply great and had quite a few unexpected twists but towards the end it once again felt like Dunn was running out of pages and just wanted to finish quickly. It seemed that Daisy just got quite lucky with catching the killer and not that it was the result of a proper investigation.
Stevie Carroll
I managed to pick this one up out of order, but it was fairly easy to pick up the threads of the ongoing subplots as Daisy manages to pack a lot of mysteries into her otherwise fairly ordinary life. Now heavily pregnant, Daisy is still working hard on her magazine articles while husband Alec has been sent to tackle major crimes elsewhere in the country.

Of course Daisy can't just roll up at a country house without being caught up in dramas and deaths and before long she's busy investigating what
Julian King
At first I took great pleasure from what I thought was an undiscovered classic of the golden age - but when I realised that the author is still amongst us, alive and well and living in the US, my attitude began to change. So well is the pastiche done, so perfectly judged is the language (plot, too, and pace), that I did wonder what was the point. Everything here has been done a hundred times before, a hundred years ago, perhaps no better, but certainly not always worse; Daisy Dalrymple adds noth ...more
Lynette Davison
A good quick likeable read for when home sick in bed! Nothing to heavy, likeable main characters, easy enough to work out who did it!
BOTTOM LINE: #15 Daisy Dalrymple, DCI Alec Fletcher, rural England, 1924; cosy police procedural, historical, gently satirical. A thoroughly unlikable Squire is shot in his library during his traditional Guy Fawkes celebration while the entire village and most of County Society are in attendance, so there’s no dearth of possible culprits. But as Alec and Daisy look into the matter, it appears that the ones closest to him were the ones who wanted him dead the most, and they’re Daisy’s friends.

Nancy Reynolds
Book 15 and I'm still enjoying this series!!! What can be more British than a traditional Guy Fawkes event at a "stately home"? Daisy does it again. Where Daisy goes, you know a death is not far behind. This time it's a double header (oops, an American baseball term). We even had a touch of Australia introduced in this tale. Daisy is 6 months pregnant in this story so ... I can't wait to move on to the next book because, perhaps, Daisy will have given birth by then. Love these stories.
A good read in a strange way! I picked this off my mum's bookshelf and I was pleasantly surprised. The characters were likeable - even Daisy who I thought was going to annoy me but didn't! My only complaint was that it seemed a bit rushed at the end and Daisy stumbled upon the identity of the culprit as opposed to working it out. A bit of an Agatha Christie 'let's all sit in the drawing room and work through the pieces of the puzzle before announcing the killer' was what I was expecting!
I will admit to a weakness for a British "cozy" mystery. An easy read, a light easy journey. I refer to the Daisy Dalrymple (the name itself is a hoot!) series as NANCY DREW FOR GROWN UPS. I discovered this series as I was nursing a bad virus...wanted to read a book definitely NOT substantive and NOT requiring deep thought. With such as a guide, Daisy is almost medicinal! The GUNPOWDER PLOT reviews history, takes us to a "stately home" in the Cotswalds...and provides interesting chara ...more
A great period murder mystery.
Daisy Dalrymple is invited by her old friend Gwen Tyndall to spend Bonfire or Guy Fawkes night with her and her family at Edge manor, everything is going swimmingly until partway through the fireworks display Jack Tyndall announces his father the irascible and domineering Harold Tyndall and a lady he met at the local pub whom he invited along with her husband to watch the festivities are both shot dead in the study.
With a houseful of guests there is no shortage of e
Daisy is visiting an old school friend to see her family's Guy Fawkes Day fireworks. She and the younger members of the family visit the local pub and meet an Australian couple visiting the area where the wife had grown up. The next day at the fireworks the lord of the manor and the Australian wife are found shot to death during the party. Alec of course gets called in to investigate Daisy's host's family. I didn't see the killer coming at all and was sure it was someone else but that may have b ...more
Fifteenth in the Daisy Dalrymple series. She is a progressive daughter of a viscount married to a Scotland Yard Chief Inspector in 1920's England. As a sideline she writes articles about life on upper class estates for distribution in American magazines. The series is not great literature, but pays attention to details in describing etiquette and value shifts going on as the landed gentry dealt with life on once glorious country estates after World War I brought such change. Mystery component mi ...more
Judy Tate
Okay, I love this series and these characters, but this was WAY too predictable. I knew who had done it as soon as they said it was murder. Even the motive was transparent as soon as the letter came to light. Don/t want to spoil it for the rest of you. Read it and see. Still amusing and fun to "watch" the characters.
Sheila Fern
I don't usually read mysteries but this was lent to me by my roommate in college and I really enjoyed it. I've always wanted to read more of this author's mysteries but had forgotten her name. I'll have to find time to fit some just-for-fun reading in!
Jennifer Girardin
Gunpowder Plot by Carola Dunn is an interesting traditional English mystery featuring Daisy Dalrymple, who solves a mystery that occurs during Guy Fawkes night. Fun and well written, this series is a nice addition for British mystery fans.
The strict Victorian mores are still evident in this fifteenth book in the Daisy Dalrymple series. Class, ethnic and racial prejudices are still present; Dunn’s treatment of this prejudice reveals its shallowness especially in light of England’s horrific losses in WWI.
Daisy is on assignment, researching a Guy Fawkes celebration for her American publisher, when two murders occur. Her Scotland Yard Chief Inspector and his team are called to investigate; the characters’ secrets, flaws and attribute
Laura Edwards
Another fun read in the series. This one kept me guessing until the big secret was revealed. Then, I guessed the culprit straight off.
Yet another Daisy D mystery - just what the Dr ordered. simple, unfuzzy, period prefect, easy reading.
Daisy Dalrymple investigates a murder-suicide that isn't, at a stately home with a traditional Guy Fawkes bonfire. These mysteries are set in the post-WWI era when women were beginning to have more freedoms. Daisy is a journalist married to a policeman, all of which rather scandalizes her mother since she was born into "the gentry." Always an enjoyable read.
Nancy Wilson
The best thing about Daisy and the crew is that even if I have figured out who did it (and this one seemed very obvious to me) I so enjoy the writing that I enjoy the book to the end. And a Guy Fawkes bonfire is so perfect for murder!
Really interesting, story and history. Didn't suspect the killer until shortly before the reveal. Liked the ending.
Donna Boultwood
A 'nice' murder mystery. I couldn't work out who dunnit until the penny dropped with Daisy. The author doesn't give away any real clues for the reader. All nicely tied up by Daisy's husband. I would read more in the series but knowing it a nice read rather than a gripping murder mystery.
When you get to the fifteenth book in a series, they become a bit hard to review. Or, at least they do for me.

If you liked the previous books in this series, I see no reason why you shouldn't like this installment as well. It's every bit as charming as those that came before it.
Diane Heath
I really like the Daisy Dalrymple Mysteries. This one I read a number of years ago but it was far enough back that the plot was not spoiled. It is another case where Daisy is visiting friends and a murder occurs and her husband from Scotland Yard is called in to solve the case.
  • Murder In The Afternoon (Kate Shackleton, #3)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher, #18)
  • Hasty Death
  • Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains (Dandy Gilver, #5)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • The London Blitz Murders (Disaster Series, #5)
  • Murder at the God's Gate (Lord Meren, #2)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4) Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)