Start by marking “Lord of Slaughter” as Want to Read:
Lord of Slaughter

Lord of Slaughter (The Wolfsangel Cycle #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The terrified citizens of Constantinople are plagued by mysterious sorcery. A boy had traded the lives of his family for power. A Christian scholar must track down the magic threatening his world. All paths lead to the squalid prison deep below the city, where a man who believes he is a wolf lies chained.
Published June 21st 2012 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of Slaughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of Slaughter

Cold Days by Jim ButcherKing of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceA Perfect Blood by Kim HarrisonFair Game by Patricia BriggsTricked by Kevin Hearne
Science Fiction & Fantasy Titles for 2012!
451st out of 652 books — 1,518 voters
Norse Jewel by Gina ConkleTruly, Madly Viking by Sandra HillFirst to Burn by Anna RichlandThe Viking's Apprentice by Kevin McLeodEaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton
Best Viking Books
52nd out of 76 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Robin Carter
Jul 04, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Review

What a book, Myth, mystery, Saga, History, Magic and all woven together by one of the few capable of making all these elements blend without self combusting.

This is the third book in the Craw series

Craw Trilogy
1. Wolfsangel (2010)
2. Fenrir (2011)
3. Lord of Slaughter (2012)

And quite frankly for me the best of the series. I cant quite put my finger on what makes this one work more than the previous two, maybe its just the right blend of all the above?

What has always struck me with MD Lachlan
Gareth Cahill
Aug 11, 2014 Gareth Cahill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in his Claw series and an absolute belter! Well, in mind it is if you have read the preceding instalments.

To sum it up, if you have a thing for Norse mythology and how it can permeate through time, then you need to read them!

Vikings, gods, Romans, Greeks and ancient lore, what more can you ask for?

Lord of Slaughter will keep you guessing who is who and how they relate back until the end.

Extremely well written, as with his previous instalments - Wolfsangel and Fenrir - each
Tim
Jul 31, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing
The story begins in Constantinople (present day Istanbul) around the turn of the second millenium. The tone has advanced with the years and the style also. Nicely so. However, for those of you who know this (now complete Claw) trilogy, there are still the heavy dark overtones and the gut wrenching descriptions of death and mayhem to keep your attention, and the plotting is well underway by the fourth chapter and North-men have arrived at the city walls and the faint shadow of the doom of Norse m ...more
Jess (The Best Kind of Book Nerd) Willard
I am going to attempt to accurately convey my feelings for this book, although I feel as if there are no words that can express my deep appreciation for what this author has done, yet again. While Wolfsangel will always be my favorite, this was a close second. Fenrir was magnificent in all it's historical depictions but this one contained more of the mythological aspects of the Norse culture which I immensely appreciate. This book is dark, it is detailed, it installs elements of magic and brutal ...more
Nick Stead
Jul 17, 2015 Nick Stead rated it it was amazing
The third book in the Wolfsangel cycle proved just as gripping as the first two, and only left me hungering for more in its bloody conclusion. Each instalment has successfully transported me into the era it was set in and the way Lachlan takes us through the ages as this bloody saga unfolds anew in each subsequent book helps to keep the story fresh and exciting. Indeed, the storyline might follow the same formula to a degree each time in that characters are reborn only to ultimately face the sam ...more
Dark Matter
Jan 12, 2014 Dark Matter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This and more reviews, interviews etc on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com. This review was written by Lauren Schroder for Dark Matter Zine.

The title Lord of Slaughter seems quite ominous and might put off certain readers of the ‘Historic Fiction/Fantasy’ genre. However the novel itself is mostly tamer than the paperback publication jacket suggests.

This book does delve into supernatural themes, especially the occult, which might not be appropriate for every re
Jose Miguel
Sep 18, 2013 Jose Miguel rated it liked it
el mas flojo de la saga; demasiado lento, falto de ritmo y situaciones interesantes, el final muy enredado y no tiene un cierre definitivo
J. L. Wilson
Feb 11, 2016 J. L. Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They pulled him towards the door but he was somewhere else too — a garden by a river where candles were lodged in niches along the wall, so many that the wall seemed made of fire. In his vision he put forward his hand and snuffed two out — he knew just which ones to choose. The guards at his side fell dead.

I can comfortably say that this book holds one of the most haunting chapters I've ever read, if not the most. I reread it quite often, if only to experience the shivers that never really seem
Rebecca
Jul 18, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Each time I dive into the mad, bloody and frightening world Mark has created involving psychotic gods, beastly murders and damned love I wonder if, with each sequel he writers to Wolfsangel, he himself is being taken over by the hanged god Odin with all his insatiable appatite for fates to be twisted and sealed. If this is the case, it does clearly show in this third installment of a series that yet to has any kind of official name oddly enough, but like the god Odin himself, fans may know it by ...more
Sean the Bookonaut
Lord of Slaughter is the third and final instalment of M.D. Lachlan’s Craw Trilogy. Rooted firmly in Norse mythology, Lachlan delivers a tale of myth, magic, and reincarnation, interwoven with the history surrounding Constantinople circa 988 AD.

Lord of Slaughter continues the story of the mythological figures involved with the tale of Odin. These figures, the wolf man & the lady are caught in a cycle, condemned to repeat it through countless lives until they can kill Odin and bring about Rag

Anna
Sep 24, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
This was actually better than the second part. And now I know why there is a fourth part. I feel like I've been slightly cheated with this book, to be honest, with all the "let's change stuff... but naahhh, let's not!" plot twists.

But it was still better than the second part: it read better and the characters were more interesting. Possibly because there was more action and less talk, and possibly because the environment changed in this quite a lot compared to the other two parts.

Still nothing
Emma
Jul 04, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
Yet another awesome installment of this series. In each incarnation you learn a little bit more about the fight between Fenrir and the Gods. More characters come into play and get intertwined with the god's death, and it looks like once they get involved they remain involved.

This story, like the two before it, is beautifully told. I love the descriptions of Constantinople and the Greek mythology. I love how everything is related and how everything comes together in the end. Lachlan is a master s
Nicole
Mar 20, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This was good, but not Wolfsangel good. I'm still going to give it five stars though because Lachlan has a way of telling grotesque, often horrifying tales such as when Azemar was in the Numera that don't make me want to hurl and are able to keep my attention for long spans of time. I really enjoy figuring out who has been reincarnated into who, although this time it was trickier than normal and at times got frustrating. Overall, the Craw Trilogy went out with a bang.
Ash
Aug 17, 2012 Ash rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well I just cant believe I'm done With this weird dark fantasy. The incarnation in everything book was cool in book 1 and wtf in book 2 but book 3, I wasnt so sure about he ended the trilogy. The book condition makes it 3 stars since the spine is perfect and i didnt bind the book. I can say That i liked Lory and his part. The book was really ok but verrrryyyy dark and tio dramatic for My imagination. Sorry for weird text since I'm using ipad
Riobhcah
Fascinating, gripping...strange and wonderful Norse mysticism in the context of a fantasy novel. It brings to life the traditions related to Werewolves and Wolflike shape-shifters in Scandinavian traditions. I am eagerly anticipating the sequel to this book, "Valkyrie's Song" which is supposed to come out in a couple of months. I already pre-ordered it on amazon; that is how much I loved this book series.
Shane Kiely
Jan 18, 2014 Shane Kiely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again a good blend of historical fiction & fantasy & for the most part a satisfying conclusion to the series. Does a really good job playing with the readers expectations.
Todd Campbell
Jul 18, 2012 Todd Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent conclusion to Lachlan's Craw 'Trilogy'. The prose is crisp and extremely well written and there is no wasted time here. Recommended.
Derek Ashmore
Aug 01, 2013 Derek Ashmore rated it really liked it
I must say this author knows how to keep you guessing. It was a good book in a very good trilogy.
Yvonne Marron de Martin
Feb 01, 2015 Yvonne Marron de Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Partly I found the story a little bit messy and confusing. It was still OK.
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Melanie Harding
Melanie Harding marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Yana
Yana added it
Jan 06, 2016
M Beal
M Beal marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Mette
Mette rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Wolf
Wolf rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Mitja Lisjak
Mitja Lisjak marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Cricket Richardson
Cricket Richardson marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Panagiota
Panagiota rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
  • Thor MAX: Vikings
  • Odin's Wolves (Raven, #3)
  • Servant of the Gods
  • The Devil's Diadem
  • Forged by Fate (Fate of the Gods, #1)
  • King's Man (Viking, #3)
  • Hereward: The Devil's Army (Hereward #2)
  • The Crimson Shield (Gallow, #1)
  • Prophecy: Clash of Kings (Prophecy, #1)
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
  • The Werewolf in Lore and Legend
  • The Merchant of Dreams (Night's Masque, #2)
  • The Wolf and the Raven (Wodan's Children #1)
  • The Black Guard (The Long War, #1)
  • Swords of Good Men (The Valhalla Saga, #1)
  • Phalanx (Soul Drinkers, #6)
  • Norse Mythology: The Myths & Legends of the Nordic Gods (Mythology Library)
  • Carpathia
Aka Mark Barrowcliffe.

MD Lachlan is a pen name - created after Mark Barrowcliffe, author of works such as Girlfriend 44 and Lucky Dog, felt himself irresistibly drawn back to fantasy after writing his Dungeons and Dragons memoir The Elfish Gene.

Wolfsangel might surprise readers of Mark's other work. He's always been noted for his comic writing ('Wickedly funny' - New York Post, 'Painfully funny' -
More about M.D. Lachlan...

The Wolfsangel Cycle (4 books)
  • Wolfsangel
  • Fenrir
  • Valkyrie's Song (The Wolfsangel Cycle #4)