Start by marking “Move Over, Rover!” as Want to Read:
Move Over, Rover!

Move Over, Rover!

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  726 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
It's raining cats and dogs! Good thing Rover is snuggled safe and dry inside his doghouse--until, one by one, a soggy menagerie of creatures shows up looking for a cozy place to sit out the storm. But who's the very unwelcome surprise visitor? Skunk, of course. Suddenly that doghouse isn't quite so crowded after all!
Published September 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Move Over, Rover!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Move Over, Rover!

Suedlana Askharia
Apr 18, 2013 Suedlana Askharia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Move Over, Rover! Kids that are in kindergarten through third grade will absolutely love it as well. The illustrations were colorful and eye catching as well as the storyline. This book tells a cute story about a dog named Rover who is stuck in the dog house because of a rainy day. One by one different animals squeeze into the dog house with Rover to keep dry and warm. All that changes however, when their friend skunk comes to stay inside the dog house! Kids will enjoy t ...more
Natalie Haldeman
Jun 05, 2016 Natalie Haldeman rated it it was amazing
Title: Move Over, Rover!
Author: Karen Beaumont
Illustrator: Jane Dyer
Genre: Predictable Book
Theme(s): Predictable book, stories in rhyme, dogs, animal housing
Opening line/sentence: Rover's in the doghouse, chewing on a bone.
Brief Book Summary: This is a cute book to read to elementary students with fun phrases in it. It is quite comical when all of the animals rush out of the dog house when they find a skunk is residing with them.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: John Warren Stewing (CLCD)
F
Shelby Wright
Feb 09, 2016 Shelby Wright rated it really liked it
Title: Move Over, Rover!
Author: Karen Beaumont
Illustrator: Jane Dyer
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Theme(s): Animals, Sharing, Personal Space
Opening line/sentence: "Rover's in the doghouse, chewing on a bone."
Brief Book Summary: Rover is in his doghouse when it starts to rain. One by one, other visitors (cat, raccoon, squirrel, Blue jay, snake...) begin to squeeze in beside Rover to stay dry. Lastly, a stinky visitor clears out the doghouse. When the rain finally stops, Rover is back in his doghouse che
midnightfaerie
A mildly entertaining book that somewhat kept the attention of my 5 yr old and 3 yr old twins. The pictures were really nice, and it was neat seeing all the animals that usually don't get along all in one place. My kids liked trying to figure out what was going to happen in the end. No educational value besides words and the simple rhyming doesn't really even make it to a level 1 reading level. But still, a cute story and like I said, all my kids were engaged.
Maureen Jehling
Dec 05, 2014 Maureen Jehling rated it liked it
Move Over Rover, by Karen Beaumont, is a rhyming book about a dog named Rover. While the cover page already explains most of that, it is a fun book to read. The story begins with a lonely dog who is yearning for some playmates. But then, there is a sudden change of heart after an awfully wet storm. Read the book for yourself to see just what happens to cause Rover's change of heart.

The rhyming throughout the book is what made me drawn to this book, because who doesn't love some fun rhyming!? The
Lenise Jones
Oct 06, 2014 Lenise Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs642
Beaumont, K. & Dyer, J. (2006). Move Over Rover Florida: Harcourt Books.
Geisel Award 2007
Picture Book Project (Choice)
What a cute story of a dog named Rover, who unfortunately ends up sharing his doghouse with some forest friends during a storm. Everyone is trying to stay dry and poor Rover just wants to be alone in his doghouse, chewing a bone. Then all of a sudden, there is a horrible smell? Hmm. I wonder what animal found shelter in Rover’s doghouse with all the forest friends and poor Ro
Crystal
Apr 06, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Move Over, Rover! is a book that helps remind readers to "read like a detective." It was fun to see the animals piling into the dog house. The predictable refrain was cute and I thought I was getting a book that would be fun to pair with Jan Brett's The Mitten, but I was blindsided. I had missed a few very important details in the pictures.

I loved that the author caught me napping. I immediately flipped to the beginning of the book to see how I had let some facts get by me. This is going to be
Rienzi
Oct 20, 2014 Rienzi added it
In this rhyming story, Rover the dog is in his dog house to avoid a storm. However, one by one, more and more animals come to the dog house to find a dry, warm place. Will they all fit? This book includes rhymes and alliteration to make it a fun read about all different animals coming together in a storm. The theme of this book could be sharing. Readers see that Rover had plenty of room in his house to keep himself warm, but as each animal comes by, he always lets them in to keep everyone out of ...more
Nicole White
Oct 04, 2012 Nicole White rated it it was amazing
Move Over, Rover! By Karen Beaumont, Illustrated by Jane Dyer

1. Genre: Controlled Vocabulary

2. Move Over, Rover! is a cute, predictable story about a series of animals that try to squeeze into Rover’s doghouse.

3. a. I really liked the predictability and vocabulary choice in this book. It was chosen as a Theodor Seuss Geisel book.

b. I read this book to my four year old daughter as if I was her teacher. She loved making predictions and “reading” the predictable text on each page. This book would b
Katherine Johnston
May 26, 2016 Katherine Johnston rated it it was amazing
By coincidence we first read this book on a stormy day, which only heighten the fun for my son.

Love the repetitive rhyme, sooooo helpful with Apraxia, speech therapy, especially as it is engaging and fun! The illustrations, were like a hide-in-seek puzzle, once the dog house was full, and the unexpected surprise - made my little one giggle - always a plus.

This book is on our therapy book shelf, and we love to pull it out, rain or shine!
Sandi Roe
Mar 02, 2015 Sandi Roe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, lap-sit
Poor Rover starts out so lonely, but as the rain starts, he gets a lot of animal friend visitors trying to escape the rain. Before long, the dog house is full and Mouse has to be turned away. When a very smelly visitor comes along, the dog house clears out fast! This book has rhyming text and is well illustrated. The kids during storytime loved shouting out "Move Over Rover!"
Jade
Feb 10, 2014 Jade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, geisel
On a beautiful day a kind-hearted dog, named Rover, is wishing for a playmate. Suddenly, sun turns to rain and Rover is happy to have a cozy, dry spot to curl up in and wait out the terrible storm. Without warning a variety of critters move Rover over to take shelter from the storm. Rover makes room for the others, but when a stinky skunk joins them, they all scatter.
Nicole
Dec 06, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
I loved the pictures in this book I thought they were really nice and added a lot to the story itself.

Summary-
Rover is in his doghouse chewing on a bone by himself. It starts to rain so Rover falls asleep in his doghouse. A cat is looking for a place to stay for the storm so she tells Rover to move over and gets in the doghouse. This same thing happens with a raccoon, squirrel, a blue jay, a snake and a mouse. Then they all start to smell something, a skunk has gotten into the doghouse and ever
Tori Davenport
This book is pretty cute. It's about a dog name rover and he has to move over to make room for all of his friends in his dog house during a storm. Does all of his friends fit? Do they all get safe and warm and dry? This is just a really cute story that I could read to my students when it's a rainy day outside.
Chantana
This is a great book to allow the children to re enact the scenes from the book. Rover is comfortable in his dog house when all the other animals want to enter his dog house because it is raining. They all stuff inside the dog house, then the skunk releases some fumes and causes everyone to scatter from the doghouse.
Aimee
Mar 02, 2010 Aimee added it
Shelves: pbgs-2-picture
How many animals can fit inside of one doghouse? When it begins to ran outside Rover moves into his doghouse to stay dry and warm. Many other animals have the same idea and Rover cannot wait for the rain to stop so he can be alone again.

The illustrator’s use of watercolor paints to create the pictures really shows the detail in the background due to the weather. The way the rain is painted shows the wind and movement in the air. The leaves falling to the ground at different angles make the reade
Heidi
Mar 22, 2010 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Mover Over, Rover!
By: Karen Beaumont
Illustrated by: Jane Dyer
Published by: Harcourt Inc.
Year Published: 2006

Summary: Rover the dog is sleeping in his doghouse when a thunderstorm brings tons of visitors who want to keep dry during the storm. The last visitor is a skunk. Suddenly the doghouse isn't so crowded!

Reading level: Pre-K- grade 2

Genre: Picture book

Use: Independent reading or Read aloud

Topics: Animals, Rain & Sharing

Social Issues: Move Over, Rover clearly shows children how import
Lyn
Jan 20, 2014 Lyn rated it really liked it
One bright summer day Rover is left alone in his dog house wishing he had a playmate.

Suddenly the rain begins and Rover, happy to be in the coziness of his dog house, falls asleep. A menagerie of critters, looking for a warm place out of the rain, see him and join him there. First comes a cat, a raccoon, then a squirrel, a mouse, and finally a snake. Rover makes room for all his friends, but when a skunk joins them they all move out.

Fortunately, the sun comes out and we find Rover alone in his d
Asho
Mar 26, 2014 Asho rated it really liked it
We really liked the illustrations in this book. Rover just looks so sweet! The repetition is appealing to my toddler, as is naming all of the animals. (Although for some reason he insists on shouting "owl!" whenever we read this, even though I don't think an owl is featured.)
Josie B.
Oct 02, 2015 Josie B. rated it really liked it
Narrative skills, the ability to describe things and events, the ability to tell stories, are the early literacy skills that help a child understand what he or she is reading, and one way you can really bolster them is pretend play. My preschool class of 3-5 year olds loved this book, but they loved even more retelling it with the parachute and an assortment of Beanie Babies and puppets. We started with just Rover sleeping in the parachute and added each animal in sequence. Before I threw the sk ...more
Jamie
Apr 05, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
This book reminded me of the book "The Mitten." It is a story of a lonely dog, who comes to appreciate his alone time. This would be a very engaging book for primary students and could be used as a read aloud book.
Alyssa Overstreet
A dog is bored and alone it then starts to rain be many creatures join him. Then skunk comes so they all run. The storm stops and Rover goes back to his dog house and is happy to be alone

Rhymes

Repetitive
Michele Knott
2007 Geisel Honor award
Loved this book, exceeded my expectations. Great rolling, rhyming text. In fact, as we read it, my daughter and I made up hand gestures. Perfect for young readers.
Heidi
A build-up rhyme with different animals joining the dog in his doghouse. The pictures are better seen up close so you can see them as they all try to fit inside. However, I think a storytime will still enjoy the book. They probably will miss the whole part of the skunk being there, but I don't think it will detract from what happens at the end.

Overall cute.

4/6/10 & 4/8/10 The kids loved the book. Well, the Tuesday group wsa hard to tell, but that was for reasons not entirely under my contr
Selena
This is a heartwarming, rhyming story of Rover the dog who ends up sharing his doghouse with all the neighbourhood animals during a storm. But what really sets it apart are the stunning and rich illustrations by Jane Dyer. The detail of the illustrations will have you flipping back every page or two just to see if you missed something. A perfect book for a rainy winter afternoon. Age 4-8. Review from School Library Journal: http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/slj/reviews/graphicnovels/862909-317 ...more
Caroline
Apr 23, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
A doghouse becomes overcrowded when a storm forces animals to seek shelter.

Repeating text and fun pictures make this a good one for sharing in storytime.
kristina
Jun 05, 2016 kristina rated it it was amazing
When a storm comes, Rover expects to have his doghouse all to himself but finds that various other animals, including a skunk, come to join him.
Carol Scrimgeour
It's a great book to use with kindergarten or preschool. I use it in conjunction with puppets and a box serving as the doghouse. Kids love it!
Caleb
Jan 04, 2016 Caleb rated it it was amazing
Caleb (age 4): "At the end, there was no storm. Rover was in his dog house. There were lots of other friends with him."
Christine
Mar 25, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
My 18 mo old daughter loves this book! She loves looking for all the animals and thinks the stinky skunk is hilarious.
  • One Pup's Up
  • The Cow Who Clucked
  • Rain
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Pigs Love Potatoes
  • Boot & Shoe

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »