Start by marking “Burglar Boy” as Want to Read:
Burglar Boy

Burglar Boy

A neglected boy finds affection at last in this story for sensitive souls and animal lovers.
Published May 1st 2011 by Pegasus Elliot MacKenzie Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Burglar Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burglar Boy

Real Mccoy
Aug 23, 2011 Real Mccoy rated it it was amazing
This little gem is a perfect read for those who love endearing, lively and infectious but unfussy prose.

Jackie Martin manages to pull the reader in to the world of Dean while he navigates his way through the life and times of a neglected eleven-year old. Never has the state of domestic chaos been as perfectly illuminated as it is charming, humorous and characters so believable.

Jackie Martin artfully portrays Dean as a formidable character even through his parental neglect, he manages to save hi
Stacy
Apr 02, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was a wonderful book! Dean is a neglected boy who has become a thief for his brother. He isn't very good at school and gets in trouble. While out thieving he hears someone crying out for help. Dean being the sweet boy he is goes to help the woman who has fallen. He helps her up and she calls him a hero. This gives Dean a new prospective on who he is. Dean learns a lot about himself through his journey. All this eleven year old boy needed was someone to believe in him and notice him. I would ...more
Emily Richards
Aug 29, 2011 Emily Richards rated it it was amazing
A charming story. Dean is a young boy, seemingly trapped in a cycle of stealing for his corrupt older brother, skipping school and tip-toeing around his poor excuse for a mother. Dean does not have a positive role model or a sense of being valued until a chance at burglary turns into something quite extraordinary.

"Making the unloved loved" is a key theme which is laced throughout the story and is a joy to read, for both children and adults alike.
Sue Morris
Feb 27, 2012 Sue Morris rated it it was amazing
Not your typical black-hearted burglar, Dean is a neglected eleven-year-old, encouraged to steal by his older brother in a secret life of crime. Then one day, during a break-in, Dean meets someone who makes his adventures take a whole new direction.

Dean Fogarty has a rough life. His single mother is an alcoholic who cannot keep a job, his older brother Callum expects Dean to steal for him while he gets himself deeper and deeper into criminal activities, and Dean has no one to guide him through d
Tina Lawton
Dec 08, 2011 Tina Lawton rated it it was amazing
I actually recieved the book on the 4th December but didn't know how to post the review!
At first I thought this book would be aimed at a young audience, however after reading the first chapter I realised a lot of the underlying themes in the book could be easily enjoyed from an adult perspective. This book really took me back to my younger days of sneaking into beer gardens and being "poor", there were many heartfelt scenes that made me laugh out loud and almost cry at the same time, what a love
Logan Carter
Mar 17, 2012 Logan Carter rated it it was amazing
"Burglar Boy" aka Dean Fogarty, stole my heart.

This book is aimed towards younger readers, however, I believe adults will enjoy it just as much. Well-written, the author pulls you into Dean's world and his sad, neglected existence; however, Ms. Martin does not stop there. As you read this story, you'll realize this is a book which contains laughter, courage and hope too. Looking forward to Ms. Martin's next venture.

I received this book free through Goodreads. I was not required to write a posit
Rimma
Mar 18, 2012 Rimma rated it really liked it
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

This is very good book. from the cover it is seems for kids only, but really, it was interesting read for adults.
Dean neglected eleven-year old live with his alcoholic mother and brother who makes him still for him as he getting more toward criminal future. Dean small and know how to get in and out of all the houses, he knows what inside all the houses in the neighborhood, he goes to school sometimes, but just to keep aw
Janin
May 10, 2012 Janin rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
There are so many uncomfortable moments in this book, and that's because it shows parts of the world and moments in life that most of us will never have to face-- that most of us would rather pretend that -no one- has to face. But that's not how our world is: There are terrible things in it. And people who have to make the best out of those lives. And this is a reminder that even in those kinds of situations-- people can still choose to be good. And perhaps, even be rewarded in small ways for th ...more
Shahrun
Sep 25, 2011 Shahrun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
First I have to tell you that I won my copy of this book on GoodReads First Reads Giveaways. Second, this review is all my own opinion!

I really fell in love with this book and poor Dean Fogarty! This book is written in a very engaging and endearing style. I really think both adults and children will geet something out of reading this book. It has morals and I loved the way everything came right at the end. I would love to read more by Ms Martin!
Alfred Nobile
Nov 30, 2011 Alfred Nobile rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written,the prose flowed easily and made this a delightful read. though aimed at young readers this book can be enjoyed by adults alike. It is the story of a young boy Dean whose life seems hopeless until he meets someone who literally changes his life. I will not tell you any more but urge you to read it!
Jackie
Aug 23, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Not your typical black-hearted burglar, Dean is a neglected 11-year-old, free to roam the streets day and night, and encouraged to steal by his older brother.
Then, one day during a break-in, Dean meets someone who makes his adventures take a whole new direction.
Belinda Miller
Jan 30, 2012 Belinda Miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won, own
I won this book from Goodreads First reads and couldn't wait to read - I wasn't disappointed. The story is very well written to young adults or young at heart! It captivates you from the beginning to the end. My 12 year old loved this book!
Netty
Nov 19, 2011 Netty marked it as to-read
I've just won this book in the Goodreads give away. Very excited. I can't wait to read and review.

Claudia (CJ)
Oct 10, 2011 Claudia (CJ) rated it it was amazing
I won this book from first reads, good read from Jackie Martin!
A boy finds a different kind of life than the one his older brother has him doing. Cute and funny.
Brittany
Feb 09, 2015 Brittany marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-won
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads. Review to follow.
Dawn Cook
Oct 25, 2011 Dawn Cook rated it really liked it
I requested this book for a chiristmas gift but I didn't read it first. It was a good story and I am sure my nephew will love it.
Becky
Sep 05, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I couldn't put it down. It is brilliant, adults and children alike should read this book. It is a touching story.
Cathy
Oct 29, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it
Such a cute story for any age, young at heart!
Candace
Candace rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2011
Colleen
Sep 06, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
Great book. Well written! Characters seem so real.
Sammy Keyes
Sammy Keyes rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Tom Richards
Tom Richards rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Peter
Peter added it
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Lyndsay
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Andy Snelgrove
Andy Snelgrove marked it as to-read
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jennifer beck
Jennifer beck marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2011
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Rodney Rodriguez
Rodney Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2011
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2011
Jeana
Jeana marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2011
miki
miki marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2011
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2011
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2011
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2011
Linda Lakshminaryanan
Linda Lakshminaryanan marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2011
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2011
JennaMarie
JennaMarie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2011
Lisa H
Lisa H marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2011
Peggy Sims
Peggy Sims marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2011
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2011
Hello, I’m Jackie Martin. I’m a former cartoonist and children’s entertainer with many years’ experience
working as a teaching assistant and private tutor. I grew up in Langley, near Slough, but I’ve lived in Beaconsfield for the last 8 years with my husband and grown-up daughter, and German shepherd dog which recently passed away.
Now that I don’t have a lovely old dog to look after any more, I’m
More about Jackie Martin...