Burglar Boy

Burglar Boy

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A neglected boy finds affection at last in this story for sensitive souls and animal lovers.
Published May 1st 2011 by Pegasus Elliot MacKenzie Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWings by Aprilynne PikeThe Maze Runner by James DashnerThe Elephant Tree by R.D. Ronald
Great Lesser-known Books!
302nd out of 476 books — 426 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Unputdownable Books Of All Genres
58th out of 119 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Real Mccoy
This little gem is a perfect read for those who love endearing, lively and infectious but unfussy prose.

Jackie Martin manages to pull the reader in to the world of Dean while he navigates his way through the life and times of a neglected eleven-year old. Never has the state of domestic chaos been as perfectly illuminated as it is charming, humorous and characters so believable.

Jackie Martin artfully portrays Dean as a formidable character even through his parental neglect, he manages to save hi...more
Stacy
This was a wonderful book! Dean is a neglected boy who has become a thief for his brother. He isn't very good at school and gets in trouble. While out thieving he hears someone crying out for help. Dean being the sweet boy he is goes to help the woman who has fallen. He helps her up and she calls him a hero. This gives Dean a new prospective on who he is. Dean learns a lot about himself through his journey. All this eleven year old boy needed was someone to believe in him and notice him. I would...more
Emily Richards
A charming story. Dean is a young boy, seemingly trapped in a cycle of stealing for his corrupt older brother, skipping school and tip-toeing around his poor excuse for a mother. Dean does not have a positive role model or a sense of being valued until a chance at burglary turns into something quite extraordinary.

"Making the unloved loved" is a key theme which is laced throughout the story and is a joy to read, for both children and adults alike.
Sue Morris
Not your typical black-hearted burglar, Dean is a neglected eleven-year-old, encouraged to steal by his older brother in a secret life of crime. Then one day, during a break-in, Dean meets someone who makes his adventures take a whole new direction.

Dean Fogarty has a rough life. His single mother is an alcoholic who cannot keep a job, his older brother Callum expects Dean to steal for him while he gets himself deeper and deeper into criminal activities, and Dean has no one to guide him through d...more
Tina Lawton
I actually recieved the book on the 4th December but didn't know how to post the review!
At first I thought this book would be aimed at a young audience, however after reading the first chapter I realised a lot of the underlying themes in the book could be easily enjoyed from an adult perspective. This book really took me back to my younger days of sneaking into beer gardens and being "poor", there were many heartfelt scenes that made me laugh out loud and almost cry at the same time, what a love...more
Rimma
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

This is very good book. from the cover it is seems for kids only, but really, it was interesting read for adults.
Dean neglected eleven-year old live with his alcoholic mother and brother who makes him still for him as he getting more toward criminal future. Dean small and know how to get in and out of all the houses, he knows what inside all the houses in the neighborhood, he goes to school sometimes, but just to keep aw...more
Logan Carter
"Burglar Boy" aka Dean Fogarty, stole my heart.

This book is aimed towards younger readers, however, I believe adults will enjoy it just as much. Well-written, the author pulls you into Dean's world and his sad, neglected existence; however, Ms. Martin does not stop there. As you read this story, you'll realize this is a book which contains laughter, courage and hope too. Looking forward to Ms. Martin's next venture.

I received this book free through Goodreads. I was not required to write a posit...more
Janin
There are so many uncomfortable moments in this book, and that's because it shows parts of the world and moments in life that most of us will never have to face-- that most of us would rather pretend that -no one- has to face. But that's not how our world is: There are terrible things in it. And people who have to make the best out of those lives. And this is a reminder that even in those kinds of situations-- people can still choose to be good. And perhaps, even be rewarded in small ways for th...more
Shahrun
First I have to tell you that I won my copy of this book on GoodReads First Reads Giveaways. Second, this review is all my own opinion!

I really fell in love with this book and poor Dean Fogarty! This book is written in a very engaging and endearing style. I really think both adults and children will geet something out of reading this book. It has morals and I loved the way everything came right at the end. I would love to read more by Ms Martin!
Alfred Nobile
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written,the prose flowed easily and made this a delightful read. though aimed at young readers this book can be enjoyed by adults alike. It is the story of a young boy Dean whose life seems hopeless until he meets someone who literally changes his life. I will not tell you any more but urge you to read it!
Jackie
Aug 30, 2011 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Not your typical black-hearted burglar, Dean is a neglected 11-year-old, free to roam the streets day and night, and encouraged to steal by his older brother.
Then, one day during a break-in, Dean meets someone who makes his adventures take a whole new direction.
Belinda Miller
I won this book from Goodreads First reads and couldn't wait to read - I wasn't disappointed. The story is very well written to young adults or young at heart! It captivates you from the beginning to the end. My 12 year old loved this book!
Claudia
I won this book from first reads, good read from Jackie Martin!
A boy finds a different kind of life than the one his older brother has him doing. Cute and funny.
Dawn Cook
I requested this book for a chiristmas gift but I didn't read it first. It was a good story and I am sure my nephew will love it.
Netty
Nov 30, 2011 Netty marked it as to-read
I've just won this book in the Goodreads give away. Very excited. I can't wait to read and review.

Becky
I couldn't put it down. It is brilliant, adults and children alike should read this book. It is a touching story.
Brittany
Jan 31, 2012 Brittany marked it as to-read
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads. Review to follow!
Colleen
Great book. Well written! Characters seem so real.
Cathy
Such a cute story for any age, young at heart!
Topoftop
Topoftop marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
TLM Mhlongo
TLM Mhlongo marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Julia Jasztal
Julia Jasztal marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2013
Stitch
Stitch marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2012
Geri
Geri marked it as to-read
Lulu
Lulu marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hello, I’m Jackie Martin. I’m a former cartoonist and children’s entertainer with many years’ experience
working as a teaching assistant and private tutor. I grew up in Langley, near Slough, but I’ve lived in Beaconsfield for the last 8 years with my husband and grown-up daughter, and German shepherd dog which recently passed away.
Now that I don’t have a lovely old dog to look after any more, I’m...more
More about Jackie Martin...