An Unlikely Place for Love (Virginia Historicals #1)

An Unlikely Place for Love (Virginia Historicals #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Fleeing from her parents' killers, Kate Tanner disguises herself as Billy Ingram and works on a remote farm in North Dakota. Between trying to prove that she can handle the more demanding farm chores and trying to fit in with the other farmhands, she has her work cut out for her. Then, one morning, her boss discovers she's a woman, and that's when things really get interes...more
ebook
Published January 10th 2010 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about An Unlikely Place for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unlikely Place for Love

Bookworm
This was a great, entertaining read. It takes off from the start and keeps going. Ruth Nordin's style of writing draws you in. The storyline is funny, romantic and fast paced. The characters are well written and likeable.
If you're in the mood for a clever plot and a sweet romance, pick up a copy of An Unlikely Place for Love. You won't be dissapointed.
Cheryl
Kate Tanner goes into hiding after she witnesses her parents’ murder. The people responsible for killing Kate’s parents want to silence her. So in order for Kate to survive she comes up with a plan to pass herself off as a man. Kate finds herself on Chad Walker’s farm in North Dakota as Chad’s new farm hand. Kate is now known as Billy Ingram. Kate thinks she has found the perfect place to hide. Chad can’t figure it out but there seems to be something odd about Billy. Ever since Chad’s wife, Geor...more
ShortyS
Nancy
I haven't read a lot of Christian fiction. That said, I really enjoyed this book. When Kate Tanner witnessed the brutal murder of her parents and realizes the criminals saw her as well, her only option is to run. She gets on a train without looking back and ends up in North Dakota, disquised as a man name Billy Ingram. She finds work on a farm quite a distant from town and that is where her problems really start.

The owner of the farm, Chad Walker, has his hands full with his dead wife's family...more
Connie Taylor
This is the first book in Ms Nordin's Virginia series. A well written Christian romance. The characters are believable and likable. It is funny, romantic, a clever plot twist, and suspenseful with the heroine, Kate, witnessing the murders of her parents in Virginia and running to hide in rural North Dakota. A delightful book, one I'll continue to read many times.
Judy
Book 1: An Unlikely Place for Love
Kate happened to go to her parents home, the wealthy Virginia Senator Murphy Tanner and her mother, Abigail. After witnessing their murder at that time she knew she would need to go into hiding, until the killers were behind bars. She stops to tell her brother what is going on and he helps disguise her as a man. She calls herself Billy Ingram and goes in search of work. Kate ends up on a North Dakota farm and the city girl has to convince Chad Walker that Billy...more
Busygirl
I can read just about anything, but I feel like I am ploughing thru this book with the speed of a turtle & the enjoyment of a toothache:( it does not feel historical 1896. It is a very strange book, a dead woman is being portrayed as a saint in an almost creepy obsessive way by her family. while another woman is trying to pass herself off as man, & I can't believe it as I'm reading it so why would the other characters believe it?
I will finish the book because I always do but I will have...more
 Gigi Ann
This book was not a typical Ruth Ann Norton book. I guess it was to be a Christian fiction book, because when she wanted someone to have a change of heart she just said: "They found Christ!" Who knew Christ was lost and needed found?! I found it a very annoying book for being called a 'historical' novel. This author needs to do her research if she wants to write 'historical' and 'Christian' books. The storyline was so farfetched I couldn't believe it. A lot of silliest going on with a lot of so...more
T.
I bought this book after buying and reading other stories by Ms. Nordin. While the book was good with some suspense, humor, romance and tears, I was highly annoyed by the constant 'finding god and Christianity' bend. I am re-reading it a second time to make sure I'm not imagining it.
Shelley Chastagner
Kate is running for her life and Chad is hiding from his. After disguising herself as "Billy" and hiring on at Chad's ranch, Kate may have finally met the man of her dreams but how will she ever let Chad know when all he sees is "Billy". Lots of old fashioned fun in this great book.
Jody
After witnessing a horrible crime, Kate ends up as Billy and a farmhand for a small town Dakota rancher. Throw in a manipulating late wife and crazy in-laws and you have a complicated set of events that lead to a happy ending.
Beckey
This was an interesting twist.. The plot & storyline were unusual there were some minor details that needed addressed like travel was never that short at least from what in read..it took week to get from ... Ok read
Laura YA indie princess
I always find an author I really enjoy reading there books then I read one and it really spoils it for me. This is the book that broke the camels back for me just not as good as her other books. :-(
Cassandra
Really good book. Shows how trying to be someone other then yourself is really hard, proving being yourself is the best way to go.
Missy
Another great read.....the author does such an amazing job giving the characters a life all their own that they just leap off the pages!
Sowmya Mohan
What a great story!!! The book excelled in the humourous parts. Couldnt stop laughing. It is a first-rate and top-notch book!!
Nawwar
interesting!i wonder how she can do that,,disguising as a man...
RoseAnn Bruns Zimmerman
I truley loved the book with the twists and turns.
Julie Bendig
Loves this book! Couldn't put it down :)
Sakshi
another good one..
Lisa
Delightful.
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Cik Ann
Cik Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Her Secondhand Groom (The Grooms, #3)
  • Train Station Bride
  • Cowboy Trouble
  • What an Earl Wants
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • Mail Order Millie (Homespun, #1)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Compromising Kessen (The Vandenbrook Series, #1)
  • Arousing Love: A Teen Novel
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Rocky Mountain Oasis (The Shepherd's Heart, #1)
  • Second Sight Dating
  • A Scarlet Bride
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)
More about Ruth Ann Nordin...
The Earl's Inconvenient Wife (Marriage By Scandal, #1) A Bride for Tom (Nebraska Historicals #1) A Husband for Margaret (Nebraska Historicals #2) Eye of the Beholder (Nebraska Historicals #3) A Chance In Time (Native American Romance prequel)