Start by marking “An Unlikely Place for Love (Virginia Historicals #1)” as Want to Read:
An Unlikely Place for Love (Virginia Historicals #1)

An Unlikely Place for Love (Virginia Historicals #1)

Fleeing from her parents' killers, Kate Tanner disguises herself as Billy Ingram and works on a remote farm in North Dakota. Between trying to prove that she can handle the more demanding farm chores and trying to fit in with the other farmhands, she has her work cut out for her. Then, one morning, her boss discovers she's a woman, and that's when things really get interes ...more
Published January 10th 2010 by Smashwords (first published May 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Unlikely Place for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unlikely Place for Love

Jan 18, 2009 Bookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great, entertaining read. It takes off from the start and keeps going. Ruth Nordin's style of writing draws you in. The storyline is funny, romantic and fast paced. The characters are well written and likeable.
If you're in the mood for a clever plot and a sweet romance, pick up a copy of An Unlikely Place for Love. You won't be dissapointed.
Jun 11, 2012 Busygirl rated it liked it
I can read just about anything, but I feel like I am ploughing thru this book with the speed of a turtle & the enjoyment of a toothache:( it does not feel historical 1896. It is a very strange book, a dead woman is being portrayed as a saint in an almost creepy obsessive way by her family. while another woman is trying to pass herself off as man, & I can't believe it as I'm reading it so why would the other characters believe it?
I will finish the book because I always do but I will have
Jul 26, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Tanner goes into hiding after she witnesses her parents’ murder. The people responsible for killing Kate’s parents want to silence her. So in order for Kate to survive she comes up with a plan to pass herself off as a man. Kate finds herself on Chad Walker’s farm in North Dakota as Chad’s new farm hand. Kate is now known as Billy Ingram. Kate thinks she has found the perfect place to hide. Chad can’t figure it out but there seems to be something odd about Billy. Ever since Chad’s wife, Geor ...more
Jan 24, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a lot of Christian fiction. That said, I really enjoyed this book. When Kate Tanner witnessed the brutal murder of her parents and realizes the criminals saw her as well, her only option is to run. She gets on a train without looking back and ends up in North Dakota, disquised as a man name Billy Ingram. She finds work on a farm quite a distant from town and that is where her problems really start.

The owner of the farm, Chad Walker, has his hands full with his dead wife's family
 Gigi Ann
Dec 09, 2013 Gigi Ann rated it it was ok
This book was not a typical Ruth Ann Norton book. I guess it was to be a Christian fiction book, because when she wanted someone to have a change of heart she just said: "They found Christ!" Who knew Christ was lost and needed found?! I found it a very annoying book for being called a 'historical' novel. This author needs to do her research if she wants to write 'historical' and 'Christian' books. The storyline was so farfetched I couldn't believe it. A lot of silliest going on with a lot of so ...more
Connie Taylor
Mar 01, 2014 Connie Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in Ms Nordin's Virginia series. A well written Christian romance. The characters are believable and likable. It is funny, romantic, a clever plot twist, and suspenseful with the heroine, Kate, witnessing the murders of her parents in Virginia and running to hide in rural North Dakota. A delightful book, one I'll continue to read many times.
Sep 30, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 1: An Unlikely Place for Love
Kate happened to go to her parents home, the wealthy Virginia Senator Murphy Tanner and her mother, Abigail. After witnessing their murder at that time she knew she would need to go into hiding, until the killers were behind bars. She stops to tell her brother what is going on and he helps disguise her as a man. She calls herself Billy Ingram and goes in search of work. Kate ends up on a North Dakota farm and the city girl has to convince Chad Walker that Billy

A good story with a lot of twists and turns
Good for the woman who was always dressed down
for the problems that would have been fatal if she opposed them
A good story. LCR

Aug 14, 2016 BARBARA CONWAY rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written

This book moved very slowly and was very poorly written. It was worth just what I paid for it. Nice story line just lacked substance.
Dec 10, 2010 T. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after buying and reading other stories by Ms. Nordin. While the book was good with some suspense, humor, romance and tears, I was highly annoyed by the constant 'finding god and Christianity' bend. I am re-reading it a second time to make sure I'm not imagining it.
Shelley Chastagner
Jun 15, 2016 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
Kate is running for her life and Chad is hiding from his. After disguising herself as "Billy" and hiring on at Chad's ranch, Kate may have finally met the man of her dreams but how will she ever let Chad know when all he sees is "Billy". Lots of old fashioned fun in this great book.
Apr 20, 2013 Jody rated it liked it
After witnessing a horrible crime, Kate ends up as Billy and a farmhand for a small town Dakota rancher. Throw in a manipulating late wife and crazy in-laws and you have a complicated set of events that lead to a happy ending.
May 15, 2011 Beckey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting twist.. The plot & storyline were unusual there were some minor details that needed addressed like travel was never that short at least from what in took week to get from ... Ok read
Laura's Book Addiction
I always find an author I really enjoy reading there books then I read one and it really spoils it for me. This is the book that broke the camels back for me just not as good as her other books. :-(
Jul 04, 2013 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, review-done
Really good book. Shows how trying to be someone other then yourself is really hard, proving being yourself is the best way to go.
Nov 03, 2013 Missy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read.....the author does such an amazing job giving the characters a life all their own that they just leap off the pages!
Sowmya Mohan
Dec 20, 2012 Sowmya Mohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a great story!!! The book excelled in the humourous parts. Couldnt stop laughing. It is a first-rate and top-notch book!!
May 14, 2011 Nawwar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
interesting!i wonder how she can do that,,disguising as a man...
RoseAnn Bruns Zimmerman
Jul 19, 2012 RoseAnn Bruns Zimmerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rosie
I truley loved the book with the twists and turns.
Julie Bendig
Aug 14, 2013 Julie Bendig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
Loves this book! Couldn't put it down :)
another good one..
Oct 03, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Bean
Melissa Bean rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
poppy marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Gina R. Vines
Gina R. Vines rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Patricia Sanders
Patricia Sanders rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Broken Angel (Unconventional, #2)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Adopted: Outback Baby
  • Cowboy Trouble
  • To Love a Stranger (Wyoming #4)
  • Montana Bride
  • The Most Unsuitable Wife (Kincaids, #1)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Rancher's Secret Wife (Cooper Creek, #3)
  • Stranger's Bride (Kansas Brides, #1)
  • Her Imperfect Groom (The Grooms, #4)
  • Land of Dreams
  • A Brooding Beauty (Wedded Women Quartet, #1)
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • NASCAR Holiday 2: Miracle Season/Season of Dreams/Taking Control/The Natural
  • Captain Corcoran's Hoyden Bride
  • The Counterfeit Husband
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)
More about Ruth Ann Nordin...

Virginia Historicals (4 books)
  • The Cold Wife
  • An Inconvenient Marriage (Virginia Historicals #3)
  • Romancing Adrienne