Finding Fiona

Finding Fiona

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The victim of a brutal attack, Fiona could remember little about her life until she meets someone who claims to be from her past. He tells her that her parents were killed for a human replication machine. He's shocked to discover she's still alive since her body was found in the wreckage of the fire.

Kindle Edition
Published September 2011

To ask other readers questions about Finding Fiona, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Fiona

The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. MackenzieSpring-heeled Jack and the President's Ring by D.L. MackenzieEscape from Xanadu by D.L. MackenzieHigh Crimes and Miscreants by D.L. MackenzieThe Meat Market by James Chalk
Self-Published Science Fiction
106th out of 284 books — 385 voters
The Host by Stephenie Meyer1984 by George OrwellUglies by Scott WesterfeldNumbers by Rachel WardSpecials by Scott Westerfeld
Eye of the Beholder
173rd out of 408 books — 250 voters

More lists with this book...

Al Gritten
Who is Fiona? That is the question that Ward builds her novel around. This is a well built sci-fi thriller that rapidly draws the reader into the story. Fiona has amnesia, but why? She has snippets of memory that come to her in dreams or nightmares. As the story unfolds we discover that Fiona is really Elizabeth Normans. But Elizabeth and her parents were killed in a fire that destroyed her parents lab and their life's work - replication. So, who is Fiona? Is she Elizabeth or a replication?

This...more
Holly
Could it be possible your whole existence is only a replication of someone else's? That is what Fiona, in Finding Fiona, is have to face in Emily Ann Ward's novella. Fiona wakes up not knowing anything about her past until a few months later someone reveals to her she is Elizabeth Normans. From then on she is trying to piece together her previous life while figuring out she can and can't trust.
The novella is very entertaining. There were more twists than I expected, and the characters were memo...more
Todd Bjarnson
I was an integral part of editing this book. . . or would have been if the USPS had gotten my critique to her sooner. Grats though great job Emily. Can't wait to read the whole thing.
Cassie
Finding Fiona is a fasted pasted young adult murder mystery with a sci-fi twist. The story opens with Fiona in a hospital after an accident that she can't really remember. Panicking, she has flashes of what happened to her and has the horrible feeling she has lost something, or someone important to her. The story then moves forward a few months when Fiona is living with the woman who found her, Hannah, on that terrible night. She still can not remember anything of her past but it doesn't take lo...more
Kelly/yllektra
The book revolves around a young girl, Fiona, who suffers from amnesia. After a tragic accident that cost her her memory and - as we later find out her parents- Fiona is picked up and cared for by Hannah and her boyfriend, Troy.

She has been living with Hannah for the past four months, during which she keeps having fragmented memories of a fire, a fire which she nearly escaped mostly because she struggled and she was helped by a brown-haired girl. No matter how hard she tries, full memories don'...more
Tash
When I read the short blurb on this book here on Goodreads, I thought that it might be interesting and had something I have an interest in ever since I read Double Identity way back in fifth grade: cloning.
And I wasn't disappointed.
Yes, it was pretty short and I devoured it rather quickly, maybe an two hours or three, but I enjoyed every moment even though a couple parts I was feeling bad for Fiona/Elizabeth since she quickly gets to figure out who she is before everything gets destroyed again....more
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I received this novel for review.

In full disclosure: Emily Ann Ward belongs to the same online writing community that I do, WriYe for all of those who know what that is. I started checking in on Emily’s status of her writing progress and follow her blog. However, I believe that this is an honest review. :)

To start out, I’ve been hearing about this book on WriYe and on her blog for ages and have been desperately wanting to read this novel after reading a snippet on her blog and reading the synops...more
Mirrani
Finding Fiona is a short story that is part mystery, part modern day science fiction. With a tale of duplication that could easily have been at least partly inspired by an episode or two of Stargate Atlantis, this story will be an enjoyable read for anyone, even by those not of scientific mind. In fact, though the plot is based on events within the field of science, it is more centered around life. There is no overpowering scientific description, only brief little notes are thrown in that supple...more
Nada
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

Finding Fiona is the story of a young woman, Fiona, who has lost her memory due to a trauma. She is cared for by Hannah, who found her as Fiona was left after suffering stab wounds The books is about Fiona finding herself, discovering who she used to be, and learning who she can trust. Tied into this is the mystery of her parent's death and why those responsible want to find her.

The story has good guys and bad guys. Howev...more
Trish
Jan 11, 2012 Trish rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Fiction; Young Adult/Sci Fi

Finding Fiona is a great story that keeps you entertained the whole way through. It is intriguing in its uniqueness of character and subject and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed reading it.

Fiona wakes up with amnesia after a tragic accident. She knows that at some point she was kidnapped and stabbed but the rest of the details of her life are sketchy at best. Her new friend, Hannah, is doing her best to care for Fiona and help her try to figure...more
Kelley
Fiona is found on the beach, bleeding from a stab wound in her stomach, burned and bloody, with no memory. A year later, living with Hannah, the kind-hearted woman who found her and brought her to the hospital, she is no closer to remembering her past. She has a journal full of dreams that feel like memories and a couple of articles in a Boston newspaper detailing her journey and searching for her family. Then one day at the library she discovers a picture of her parents in a Physics magazine. S...more
Larissa Hinton
Read the complete review here: http://teacherwritebookaholicohmy.blo...

I sucked in from the beginning and literally couldn't put it down. I read it on my new tablet, and I seriously couldn't put it down. Every where I went, I took it with me on my tablet. I couldn't pry my fingers from it. I couldn't look away.

I HAD to read more.

Therefore, I thought I would share with you all about this lovely, capturing book. Let's break this down . . .

Characters: Loved all the characters. Fiona was a characte...more
Stephanie
Fiona has no clear memory of her past. She isn't even sure that Fiona is her real name. She has vague impressions of running away from a fire, bleeding from stab wounds and nearly being killed. One day while at the library she comes across a back issue of a scientific magazine. In an article on human replication, she comes across a picture of a couple she recognizes. The couple are scientists who think that human replication may be possible. Fiona thinks that they may be her parents and that she...more
Readinista
For more reviews, go to www.readinista.com

The concept of Finding Fiona really intrigued me, but as the story developed it didn’t quite meet my expectations. First of all it’s a novella, so I knew going into that it would short and there was the possibility of the story not being as developed as I may prefer. I’ve read other novellas before and was satisfied by the length and compact story. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Finding Fiona.

Fiona has amnesia, the result an attack that left her...more
Quigui

She soon travels to her old home in New York to figure out what happened to her and her family. She needs to find out who she is, but more importantly, confront the men who killed her parents.

The syn...more
Bailee
Nov 26, 2011 Bailee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Finding Fiona by Emily Ward was a fast paced, exciting, and amazing read. This is one book that I will read again and again just for the simple fact of how AMAZING it was. I can't tell you how many things I liked about it! It is the best book I've read in awhile and it was only a novella.

First as I said, it was fast paced and I couldn't put it down. I never got bored of it because of how unique the plot was and surprising the twists were.

Fiona was a strong female character that made me want to...more
cecilia
Finding Fiona sounds promising – I mean, who doesn’t find human replication fascinating? Not to mention, a big baddie who is willing to kill for this discovery? – and Emily Ann Ward delivers some definitely thrilling moments, but overall I feel that the story still needed a little more oomph to really make it stand out on the shelf. I did not quite buy into how Fiona finds out about her past; the set-up was all too convenient. For example, I don’t know how many teenagers would willingly pick up...more
Elizabeth
This novella was a phenomenal. It was definitely one of the most original works I have read this year. Its been real hard for me to try and find any decent reads when the book market seems to be saturated in vampire/werewolf type of novels. When you wake up and realize your life may just be a replica of the one you once lived, who would you trust? This is just one of the problems Fiona struggles with during the novel, but it is the one that fascinates me the most. You will never guess who is on...more
Nicole Roberts
This is a novella about a girl who suffers through a very dramatic event and comes out with amnesia. She is determined to find out who she is, where she comes from, and who her family is. She ends up finding out that she might not be who she thought she was and not everyone is honest with who they are.
This story combines science with straight up drama. I liked the concept, especially not really knowing who the main character actually is, plus trying to see if everyone around her is who they say...more
Cyn
I think I've been a little spoiled by some YA books; I expect them all to be equally well-developed and engaging (Harry Potter, Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc.). Of course, this is an unrealistic expectation, but it's still disappointing to encounter any novel that just didn't live up to its potential.

I won this book on Library Thing, and it's not *horrible*, but it's not all that great either. The plot is too basic, and all the characters were bland. The premise of the story was good, but it could...more
Jessica Buike
This was good even if it was a little too predictable at parts. I love the idea behind the science, and the action was well-written. I think the memory loss could have been explained more clearly - I understand why it was only briefly touched on in the beginning, but towards the end it could be clarified without giving anything away. Overall, a solid read.
Carol Brannigan
A short read which takes on quite an interesting and topical view of science and ethics. This novella is very fast paced but you do get a glimpse of the main character and her struggles- along with a bit of philosophy and a smidgen of physics thrown in. A nice little gem that is sure to get the thinking wheels in motion.
Tona
This was a very fast paced novella. I liked the character of Fiona. She has glimpses of her past though her amnesia is making it difficult to determine what is memory and what is dream. When she finds an article in a scientific magazine she recognizes her parents. There is plenty to keep your attention in this story.
Steph
This was an interesting science-mixed-with-romance story. Fiona is a very confused young woman after surviving an almost fatal accident. When the truth behind her amnesia and those who helped to cause it, the plot thickens. A very good read; I hope that the author continues to write.
AvidReader47
Finding Fiona by Emily Ward was one of those diamonds in the ruff that you stumble upon. I was lucky enough to get this to review through Library Thing from the author. The premise of human replication was very interesting. Great YA sci-fi novel. Highly recommended.
Emily Ward
Dec 11, 2011 Emily Ward added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Pretty awesome, if I do say so myself ;)
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Books 3 18 Dec 11, 2011 04:18PM
Writers and Readers : Scifi/Mystery Coming of Age 2 11 Sep 26, 2011 11:54AM
Emily Ann Ward is the author of Finding Fiona, Le Garde series, and The Protectors series. One of her first stories featured a young girl whose doll came to life. The rest is history. When it comes to fiction, she writes mainly young adult, contemporary, and fantasy. She also writes nonfiction, ranging from stories of her travels to thoughts on the Bible. Aside from writing, she loves traveling an...more
More about Emily Ann Ward...
Promising Light (The Protectors, #1) Agape Connection (Le Garde, #1) Death of the Sun Shifting Light (The Protectors, #0.1)