Start by marking “Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)” as Want to Read:
Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)

Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian #27)

Gregor Demarkian returns in a mindbending case of death and disappearance amongst the wealthy suburban elite.

In Waldorf Pines, a very rich, gated suburb of Philadelphia, ostentation and pretension are the order of the day. But even by the local standards, Martha Heydrich is a stone cold pain. She’s the stay-at-home wife of a very rich husband, drives a pink sports car eve
Published March 27th 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood in the Water

Kelly Wagner
Jul 25, 2012 Kelly Wagner rated it really liked it
I like the Gregor Demarkian series, and while he's gotten a little crankier, and the dialog between him and Father Tibor has gotten to be more of a set piece, the plots are still good. I saw the where the twist was going by oh, about 2 paragraphs after the first hint of it appeared, but it was nonetheless interesting watching the various characters get there. I also like the new character who shows up at the end, Old George's great-nephew (or something like that), Steve Tekemanian, who is studyi ...more
Patricia
Mar 30, 2012 Patricia rated it did not like it
This was disappointing. Very dull, ended up skimming a lot of it. Mystery was obvious by the first third of the book. All characters come across as very two dimensional, even those that weren't meant to be that way. Sadly, most seem to have been drawn this way intentionally -- when done humorously, this can work, but here, the humor is so heavy handed, so without affection, it just comes across as nasty and misanthropic. The author saves her love for the culturally quaint and somehow dishonors t ...more
Sherri Huntley
Mar 12, 2012 Sherri Huntley rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sherri by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads and I enjoyed every minute of reading it. I would highly recommend it to others. Blood in the Water is a mystery set in the gated community of Windsor Pines. Windsor Pines is filled with upper middle class who aspire to be seen as the wealthy elite of a suburban town outside of Philadelphia. The families of Windsor Pines have hidden secrets that are slowly revealed once two murders are committed in the community pool house. The twists and turns of the plot keep you ...more
Sheila Beaumont
The solution to this whodunit was obvious pretty early on, but the real enjoyment in reading a Gregor Demarkian mystery is in the author's engaging, somewhat exaggerated character depictions. This time she takes on a gated community and its varied assortment of affluent residents. I also love reading about former FBI agent Demarkian and his Armenian-American neighborhood in Philadelphia (but I do wish we'd get to see more of Father Tibor than we have in the recent installments).

If you expect a w
Sally Smith
Jul 13, 2012 Sally Smith rated it it was ok
Not recommended.
Fred Hughes
Feb 28, 2012 Fred Hughes rated it really liked it
This review is based on a free copy of the book received from the publisher through the Goodreads Advance Reader process.

Arthur Heydrich is rich and powerful but even that doesn’t deflect the police from arresting him for murdering his wife and lover found burned in their pool house. The only problem is that when the DNA analysis of the burned beyond recognition body comes back from the lab the results say the body is male. They can’t identify who it is but it is definitely not a woman.

So Arthur
Barbara
Jul 06, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I haven’t read one of these books in a long while. So long in fact, that I don’t have any idea of which ones I have read or where I left off in the series. Gregor Demarkian has remarried? Did I know that? I have no idea at this point in time.

My memory (which obviously can’t be trusted in terms of details) seems to recall this series as well-constructed, complex and an involved mystery series. This latest in the series seems to live up to this memory.

Gregor is a former FBI agent that now works o
Text Addict
Mar 08, 2012 Text Addict rated it it was ok
My problem with this book is that I figured out the major piece of the puzzle - the identity of one of the murder victims - on the last word of Chapter Two, and since I've never read any of this series before, I'm not invested enough in Gregor Demarkian & Co. to be interested in watching him try to figure it out. Which, since I flipped to the end to check that I was right, I learned that he doesn't even do until very close to the end. Color me Not Impressed By This Plot.

Plus, skipping to the
Colleen
Mar 13, 2012 Colleen rated it liked it
I won this book in a first reads contest.

The Good: I really enjoyed the mystery in this book. I kept thinking I had solved everything, only to be thrown another curve. It really kept me guessing until the end.

The Bad: This was the first book I had ever read by this author, and it is the 27th book in the series. This means that the main character has already been really fleshed out, and most readers have a vested interest in him, that is unless this is the first book you are ever reading about hi
Kai
Mar 20, 2012 Kai rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The author Jan Haddam has definitely defined the mediocrity of a very rich, gated suburbia community in "Blood in the Water". The community gives a false sense of security. Everything is in order until a murder happened and everyone in the community is not who they seemed. Martha Heydrich was eccentric with the color pink, disappeared on the day Michael Platte and an unknown body were found burned beyond recognition. The body was assumed to be her until the DNA results came back. Ex-FBI agent Gr ...more
Rene
Apr 30, 2016 Rene added it
My first Jane Haddam book and introduction to Gregorian Demarkian, famous detective. Didn't seem to have same "formula" found when writing a great number of books by same author.
I enjoyed meeting detective, having been called to Windsor Academy by his friend's son, Mark DeAvecca. Fifteen years old, wise beyond years and inadvertently being drugged but not with anything illegal, Feels he is losing his touch with reality, Mark's roommate has committed suicide and he calls upon Gregorian for help.
E
Ricki
May 09, 2013 Ricki rated it really liked it
I've read most of Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian books, although I am not sure I actually read the first few...gonna get them from the local library just to make sure I haven;t overlooked any! As usual, her writing is superb -- she's one of the best contemporary authors that I've ever read. But the plot was dismal. I knew who-done-it and why before the end of Part 1. And this was the flimsiest excuse for a murder mystery I've seen lately. Loose threads and red herrings all over the place, and as ...more
Kristin
Apr 09, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok
Anne Slater
Nov 11, 2012 Anne Slater rated it liked it
This was the second on I've read. Fascinating because of its location in the area where I live (Philadelhia and its "Main Line"), but the book as a whole missed the mark.... I didn't really care who did the murders, and I couldn't figure out if Gregor liked his wife or not. That role was a little too casually drawn, if she is a serious part of the series (she is his second wife and I can;t tell how long they've been married...)(and why is the Armenian restaurant lady barging into his house with ...more
Joy
Sep 18, 2012 Joy rated it it was amazing
Behind the walls of a gated community, these things aren't supposed to happen. A drug dealer, an arson, a double murder. The inhabitants are seriously offended; except for the husband of the missing Martha Heydrich, and he is awaiting trial for murder. In some very nice plot twists, out of jail Arthur Heydrich comes, and Gregor is brought in to sort out which of the many secrets behind those gates are serious enough to kill for.

Alas, the next Gregor Demarkian mystery doesn't come out for another
Meg Benjamin
Aug 10, 2012 Meg Benjamin rated it liked it
It's not great Haddam, but it's still better than most mysteries. With this one I figured out both mystery and murderer within the first fifty pages, which is unusual for Haddam. It also seems shorter than usual and somewhat rushed--lots of loose ends at the end (what about the missing husband? what about the awful guy's wife? etc.). Usually, Haddam finishes some of these threads off, but this time she just leaves them hanging. I love Haddam--she's one of my autobuys, but if you're just starting ...more
Marie-Louise
Sep 16, 2012 Marie-Louise rated it did not like it

I was seriously struggling with this book and when the due date for the return to the library approached I was quite happy to return it without having finished it. I just couldn't get into it. While I found the part that played at the gated community entertaining enough I got bored whenever the attention shifted to the detective in his own community. I think they were meant to come across as a quirky bunch, but I found them just weird and couldn't relate to them. I just wasn't interested in wha
Karen Hufman
Nov 23, 2013 Karen Hufman rated it really liked it
Not bad- there was a lot of the story that had to do with the investigator: Gregor Demarkian. It was a little improbable- the rich live in a gated housing community that seems a little too insular. The seeds are correct, with people treating those that they feel are inferior with a cold shoulder. I wish some of the questions had been answered. There was one character, a woman with 2 children, and it never explained where he went. I figured out before the end that he might have been a she. I woul ...more
Sandy
May 10, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the mystery but the characters were not at all sympathetic. The only one I liked was the detective. The police officer who first tried to solve the crime was an idiot. The people who lived in the gated community had so many secrets and lived behind so many masks that you had no idea who they were. As Demarkian started unmasking them and finding out about them, they were all basically unlikable, selfish, snobbish, criminal, etc. But, as I said the mystery was good and the ending was sat ...more
Keith
May 11, 2013 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
'Blood In The Water' is the first Jane Haddam novel I have read. This was an unusual mystery novel in the way it was written. The novel is well written and it revolves around people's hidden secrets and how these secrets affect their lives and the lives of others. I don't often smile and have a little laugh when I read a mystery novel. I did with this novel. I enjoyed Jane's humorous characterization and her depiction of life today.
Susan
Apr 10, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Police arrest Arthur Heydrich for murdering his wife and her reputed lover, but must release him when the DNA tests on one of the bodies reveals something that deepens the mystery around the deaths. Cue the entry of consultant Gregor Demarkian, who can't decide whether he detests some of the local officials or the gated community, Waldorf Pines, more. He soon finds that more than one of the people in Waldorf Pines have secrets, and also may have motives.
Peggy
Mar 18, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on tape. This was a pretty good book. I've never read or listened to this author before. I thought the story of a double homicide at the pretentious planned golf community of Woldorf Pines was juicy and compelling. The residents think they are above it all and it turns out they all have sordid little lives with secrets galore. Gregor Demarkian, former FBI private eye is hired to unravel the mystery. There was humor and enough twists and turns to keep me interested.
April
Jun 29, 2013 April rated it it was ok
I always enjoy the Jane Haddam series, since I used to live in Philadelphia (actually Lower Merion). She is very insightful about the stratas of Philadelphia society, from the rich Quakers to the nouveau riche to Gregor Demarkian's Greek enclave. The actual mystery was OK, but many of the characters were unsympathetic, leading me to care very little about them. They are almost caricatures. Gregor is as enjoyable and longsuffering as always, and the ending is clever.
Sandra
Mar 13, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Within what seems like a privileged and peaceful gated community lives many that are discontent with their lives and some have secrets they may kill to keep hidden. Haddam captured my attention throughout; I could not put the book down until I have finished it. This was my first Gregor Demarkian novel but definitely not the last.

*I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Nancy
Apr 23, 2012 Nancy added it
Gregor Demarkian is called to Waldorf Pines, a rich suburb of Philadelphia to consult on the murder of two people in a pool house. It is finally discovered that Arthur, whose wife was missing, was the murderer. His wife had earlier had a sex change and was being blackmailed. Arthur killed both the blackmailer and his wife.
Mary
Jul 29, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Another good Demarkian yarn. This time, the question is 'who killed 2 people in the poolhouse of a very exclusive community, and why?'. The characters are quite fun, and parts of the solution were fairly obvious, but it was still a fun story. I will definitely be going back to catch up on the parts of this series that I missed.
Mascanlon
Sep 08, 2013 Mascanlon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-challenge
As always I had a comfortable and interesting few hours with Gregor Demarkian and his friends. The murder of a 19yr old and a mystery body in the pool house of a gated community bring Demarkian out of his sulks after the death of a very old and dear friend. The plot has a few surprising twists and in the end a few other mysteries in the exclusive concave are revealed.
Ilyssa Wesche
Sep 21, 2012 Ilyssa Wesche rated it it was ok
Not one of her best, to me. The residents of Waldorf pines all had the requisite skeletons in their closets, but no one got their comeuppance! The mystery was painfully obvious, and Gregor's existential dilemma got real old real quick.

Hopefully there's a new one soon so I can forget about this one!
Kyrie
Feb 17, 2014 Kyrie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, etiquette
Haddam doesn't write bad stories, as far as I'm concerned. This one was okay, I figured things out way too early. The story on Cavanagh Street was minimal. I didn't get much out of Gregor's musings on life and death.

It's a nice mystery, it just isn't as stellar as some have been. It felt like a place holder in the story line. Hoping the next one is more exciting.
Darlene Ferland
Aug 15, 2013 Darlene Ferland rated it really liked it
As I started reading this book (I love this series), I was not feeling involved in the story. But when I started the first chapter, I began to feel at home with the characters. Jane Haddam instills such vitality into her characters that the reader can connect easily. . . Can't wait for her next Demarkian story.
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Murder of the Bride (Rex Graves Mystery #5)
  • Where Secrets Lie
  • Fatal Induction: A Professor Bradshaw Mystery
  • Ice Fire: A Thriller (Jock Boucher #1)
  • Murder of a Beauty Shop Queen (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #19)
  • Back in the Habit  (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #2)
  • Die Job (Southern Beauty Shop, #3)
  • Cloudland
  • Cop To Corpse (Peter Diamond, #12)
  • Murder Most Austen (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #4)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Dorothy Martin, #11)
  • Restless In The Grave (Kate Shugak, #19 / Liam Campbell, #5)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Fire Engine Dead (Museum, #3)
  • Accessible Love Stories
  • Awkward Moments with Men
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,
More about Jane Haddam...

Gregor Demarkian (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Act of Darkness (Gregor Demarkian, #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Murder Superior (Gregor Demarkian, #8)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)