Start by marking “Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)” as Want to Read:
Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)

Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian #27)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Gregor Demarkian returns in a mindbending case of death and disappearance amongst the wealthy suburban elite.

In Waldorf Pines, a very rich, gated suburb of Philadelphia, ostentation and pretension are the order of the day. But even by the local standards, Martha Heydrich is a stone cold pain. She’s the stay-at-home wife of a very rich husband, drives a pink sports car ever
Published March 27th 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood in the Water

Kelly Wagner
I like the Gregor Demarkian series, and while he's gotten a little crankier, and the dialog between him and Father Tibor has gotten to be more of a set piece, the plots are still good. I saw the where the twist was going by oh, about 2 paragraphs after the first hint of it appeared, but it was nonetheless interesting watching the various characters get there. I also like the new character who shows up at the end, Old George's great-nephew (or something like that), Steve Tekemanian, who is studyi ...more
Patricia
This was disappointing. Very dull, ended up skimming a lot of it. Mystery was obvious by the first third of the book. All characters come across as very two dimensional, even those that weren't meant to be that way. Sadly, most seem to have been drawn this way intentionally -- when done humorously, this can work, but here, the humor is so heavy handed, so without affection, it just comes across as nasty and misanthropic. The author saves her love for the culturally quaint and somehow dishonors t ...more
Sherri Huntley
Mar 18, 2012 Sherri Huntley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sherri by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads and I enjoyed every minute of reading it. I would highly recommend it to others. Blood in the Water is a mystery set in the gated community of Windsor Pines. Windsor Pines is filled with upper middle class who aspire to be seen as the wealthy elite of a suburban town outside of Philadelphia. The families of Windsor Pines have hidden secrets that are slowly revealed once two murders are committed in the community pool house. The twists and turns of the plot keep you ...more
Sheila Beaumont
The solution to this whodunit was obvious pretty early on, but the real enjoyment in reading a Gregor Demarkian mystery is in the author's engaging, somewhat exaggerated character depictions. This time she takes on a gated community and its varied assortment of affluent residents. I also love reading about former FBI agent Demarkian and his Armenian-American neighborhood in Philadelphia (but I do wish we'd get to see more of Father Tibor than we have in the recent installments).

If you expect a w
Sally Smith
Not recommended.
Barbara
I haven’t read one of these books in a long while. So long in fact, that I don’t have any idea of which ones I have read or where I left off in the series. Gregor Demarkian has remarried? Did I know that? I have no idea at this point in time.

My memory (which obviously can’t be trusted in terms of details) seems to recall this series as well-constructed, complex and an involved mystery series. This latest in the series seems to live up to this memory.

Gregor is a former FBI agent that now works o
Text Addict
My problem with this book is that I figured out the major piece of the puzzle - the identity of one of the murder victims - on the last word of Chapter Two, and since I've never read any of this series before, I'm not invested enough in Gregor Demarkian & Co. to be interested in watching him try to figure it out. Which, since I flipped to the end to check that I was right, I learned that he doesn't even do until very close to the end. Color me Not Impressed By This Plot.

Plus, skipping to the
Colleen
I won this book in a first reads contest.

The Good: I really enjoyed the mystery in this book. I kept thinking I had solved everything, only to be thrown another curve. It really kept me guessing until the end.

The Bad: This was the first book I had ever read by this author, and it is the 27th book in the series. This means that the main character has already been really fleshed out, and most readers have a vested interest in him, that is unless this is the first book you are ever reading about hi
Kai
The author Jan Haddam has definitely defined the mediocrity of a very rich, gated suburbia community in "Blood in the Water". The community gives a false sense of security. Everything is in order until a murder happened and everyone in the community is not who they seemed. Martha Heydrich was eccentric with the color pink, disappeared on the day Michael Platte and an unknown body were found burned beyond recognition. The body was assumed to be her until the DNA results came back. Ex-FBI agent Gr ...more
Fred Hughes
This review is based on a free copy of the book received from the publisher through the Goodreads Advance Reader process.

Arthur Heydrich is rich and powerful but even that doesn’t deflect the police from arresting him for murdering his wife and lover found burned in their pool house. The only problem is that when the DNA analysis of the burned beyond recognition body comes back from the lab the results say the body is male. They can’t identify who it is but it is definitely not a woman.

So Arthur
Peggy
I listened to this book on tape. This was a pretty good book. I've never read or listened to this author before. I thought the story of a double homicide at the pretentious planned golf community of Woldorf Pines was juicy and compelling. The residents think they are above it all and it turns out they all have sordid little lives with secrets galore. Gregor Demarkian, former FBI private eye is hired to unravel the mystery. There was humor and enough twists and turns to keep me interested.
Kristin
Ricki
I've read most of Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian books, although I am not sure I actually read the first few...gonna get them from the local library just to make sure I haven;t overlooked any! As usual, her writing is superb -- she's one of the best contemporary authors that I've ever read. But the plot was dismal. I knew who-done-it and why before the end of Part 1. And this was the flimsiest excuse for a murder mystery I've seen lately. Loose threads and red herrings all over the place, and as ...more
Anne Slater
This was the second on I've read. Fascinating because of its location in the area where I live (Philadelhia and its "Main Line"), but the book as a whole missed the mark.... I didn't really care who did the murders, and I couldn't figure out if Gregor liked his wife or not. That role was a little too casually drawn, if she is a serious part of the series (she is his second wife and I can;t tell how long they've been married...)(and why is the Armenian restaurant lady barging into his house with ...more
Laurie
Clever plot twists, though I guessed right away. A very likeable detective dealing with a lot of unlikeable rich people. Good puzzle. I used it to relax in a stressful period.
Kay Wright
New author, new detective for me although he's been around for 27 books. Kind of cartoony characters but will see if there's another in the series to compare.
Linda Badcock
I have read most if not all of the Gregor Demarkian series, and enjoyed the earlier ones more than the more recent. This one dealt less with Gregor's own life and more with the murder situation, which was pretty far-fetched.
Marie-Louise

I was seriously struggling with this book and when the due date for the return to the library approached I was quite happy to return it without having finished it. I just couldn't get into it. While I found the part that played at the gated community entertaining enough I got bored whenever the attention shifted to the detective in his own community. I think they were meant to come across as a quirky bunch, but I found them just weird and couldn't relate to them. I just wasn't interested in wha
Susan Cabaniss
I liked it, but it definitely was a slight book...not much there.
Karen Hufman
Not bad- there was a lot of the story that had to do with the investigator: Gregor Demarkian. It was a little improbably- the rich live in a gated housing community that seems a little too insular. The seeds are correct, with people treating those that they feel are inferior with a cold shoulder. I with some of the questions had been answered. There was one character, a woman with 2 children, and it never explained where he went. I figured out before the end that he might have been a she. I woul ...more
Meg Benjamin
It's not great Haddam, but it's still better than most mysteries. With this one I figured out both mystery and murderer within the first fifty pages, which is unusual for Haddam. It also seems shorter than usual and somewhat rushed--lots of loose ends at the end (what about the missing husband? what about the awful guy's wife? etc.). Usually, Haddam finishes some of these threads off, but this time she just leaves them hanging. I love Haddam--she's one of my autobuys, but if you're just starting ...more
Joy
Behind the walls of a gated community, these things aren't supposed to happen. A drug dealer, an arson, a double murder. The inhabitants are seriously offended; except for the husband of the missing Martha Heydrich, and he is awaiting trial for murder. In some very nice plot twists, out of jail Arthur Heydrich comes, and Gregor is brought in to sort out which of the many secrets behind those gates are serious enough to kill for.

Alas, the next Gregor Demarkian mystery doesn't come out for another
April
I always enjoy the Jane Haddam series, since I used to live in Philadelphia (actually Lower Merion). She is very insightful about the stratas of Philadelphia society, from the rich Quakers to the nouveau riche to Gregor Demarkian's Greek enclave. The actual mystery was OK, but many of the characters were unsympathetic, leading me to care very little about them. They are almost caricatures. Gregor is as enjoyable and longsuffering as always, and the ending is clever.
Susan
Police arrest Arthur Heydrich for murdering his wife and her reputed lover, but must release him when the DNA tests on one of the bodies reveals something that deepens the mystery around the deaths. Cue the entry of consultant Gregor Demarkian, who can't decide whether he detests some of the local officials or the gated community, Waldorf Pines, more. He soon finds that more than one of the people in Waldorf Pines have secrets, and also may have motives.
Keith
'Blood In The Water' is the first Jane Haddam novel I have read. This was an unusual mystery novel in the way it was written. The novel is well written and it revolves around people's hidden secrets and how these secrets affect their lives and the lives of others. I don't often smile and have a little laugh when I read a mystery novel. I did with this novel. I enjoyed Jane's humorous characterization and her depiction of life today.
Sandra
Within what seems like a privileged and peaceful gated community lives many that are discontent with their lives and some have secrets they may kill to keep hidden. Haddam captured my attention throughout; I could not put the book down until I have finished it. This was my first Gregor Demarkian novel but definitely not the last.

*I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Kyrie
Haddam doesn't write bad stories, as far as I'm concerned. This one was okay, I figured things out way too early. The story on Cavanagh Street was minimal. I didn't get much out of Gregor's musings on life and death.

It's a nice mystery, it just isn't as stellar as some have been. It felt like a place holder in the story line. Hoping the next one is more exciting.
Robin

Years ago a friend who had known people on the Main Line of Philadelphia recommended this series. I loved the early books then lost interest for a while. This is the first one I have read for a while. As others have noted, the solution was not too well-hidden, but the characters make for interesting reading, though I missed more of some of the regulars like Bennis and Tibor.
Mascanlon
As always I had a comfortable and interesting few hours with Gregor Demarkian and his friends. The murder of a 19yr old and a mystery body in the pool house of a gated community bring Demarkian out of his sulks after the death of a very old and dear friend. The plot has a few surprising twists and in the end a few other mysteries in the exclusive concave are revealed.
Teresa
All Jane Haddam's novels are really good. This one was no exception, even though the basic puzzle was apparent early on. In this, as in most of her Demarkian novels, she relieves the reader from the awfulness of the suspects with the affection shown by the neighbors on Cavanaugh Street. The people on Cavanaugh Street are some of my favorite fictional characters.
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Cloudland
  • The Evil That Men Do (Dorothy Martin, #11)
  • Fatal Induction: A Professor Bradshaw Mystery
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott #7)
  • Back in the Habit  (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #2)
  • Restless In The Grave (Kate Shugak, #19 / Liam Campbell, #5)
  • Murder Most Austen
  • Ice Fire: A Thriller (Jock Boucher #1)
  • Where Secrets Lie
  • Hide & Snoop (An Odelia Grey  mystery, #7)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • The Orion Project: A Novel
  • Past Tense  (Inspector Sloan #23)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald Mystery #6)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Awkward Moments with Men
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,
More about Jane Haddam...

Gregor Demarkian (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2)
  • Act of Darkness (Gregor Demarkian, #3)
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • A Great Day for the Deadly (Gregor Demarkian, #5)
  • Feast of Murder (Gregor Demarkian, #6)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Murder Superior (Gregor Demarkian, #8)
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • Festival of Deaths (Gregor Demarkian, #10)
Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1) Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2) The Headmaster's Wife (Gregor Demarkian, #20) Cheating at Solitaire (Gregor Demarkian, #23) Flowering Judas (Gregor Demarkian, #26)