Start by marking “Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2)

Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons #2)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,371 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Song of Dragons -- the bestselling fantasy series beginning with Blood of Requiem -- continues with a new tale of blood, steel, and dragonfire.

BOOK TWO: TEARS OF REQUIEM

The nightshades cover the land. Demons of smoke and shadow, they fear no sword or arrow. They suck the souls from all who live, like a glutton sucking marrow from bones. The world falls under their darkness
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published August 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tears of Requiem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tears of Requiem

IRIFF
I think this book would make a good video game - specifically a nice, questy rpg. I imagined the nightshades as a cross between Harry Potter's dementors and Kingdom Hearts' heartless. There are random, extraneous creatures thrown in that fight the heroes for no apparent reason. The heroes are always alternating between chasing and running from the bad guy. The cut scenes would be epic and nasty and they would always end with the bad guy slinking away off screen. The game maker has made the bad g ...more
Robert Duperre
Aug 27, 2011 Robert Duperre rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Look out, everyone! Big scaly beasts are on the loose!

Daniel Arenson returns with the second book in his Song of Dragons series, Tears of Requiem. We pick up the story right where Blood of Requiem leaves off, with the surviving Vir Requis – King Benedictus, his wife Lacrimosa, their daughter Agnus Dei, and Kyrie – fresh off their defeat and (near) fatal wounding of Benedictus’s brother and ruler of the land, Dies Irae. The griffins have been released, and hopefully life may c
Dave
Jan 14, 2012 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, so picking this one up was any easy choice, also considering the price. But I was a little apprehensive, since sequels regularly disappoint me. To my regret, the same was true for Tears of Requiem.

The novel picks up where Blood of Requiem left us, with the few surviving dragons/humans still hunted by their nemesis, and estranged family member, Dies Irae. A new group of antagonists, the nighshades, which are smoke-like, evil phantoms, team up with
Nicole
Jul 21, 2015 Nicole rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book slightly more than the first, but unfortunately I had difficulty getting into it for the same reasons. I couldn't find much depth in the plot, the characters or the dialogue.

Any character growth or development seemed to happen sort of magically, without any basis in reasoning or plot-based events. The characters continue to really enjoy narrating their thoughts out loud, to the point where it's kind of ridiculous. The dialogue and actions are impetuous and child-like from ea
Emily
Aug 23, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Loved it... can't wait for the next installment.
Michelle
Oct 26, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes classic fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
Jackie Miller
Oct 13, 2011 Jackie Miller rated it really liked it
This is book two in the Song of Dragons series. I have to say that it doesn't disappoint. If anything, it only gets better.

At the end of the first book, Blood of Requiem, I was left with some questions and uncertainties. I won't get into details because I don't want to spoil book one for anybody. I will say that the main nemesis is ultimately the same but with different, not to mention stronger and creepier, allies.

Dies Irae returns as the main force trying to extinguish the last reminaing Vir R
Shane
Jun 03, 2016 Shane rated it it was ok
If you really like this story and intend to get through at least the first trilogy, this novel won't stop you. If you were on the fence after the first book, you will probably lose steam before you finish this one.

I have to mention that I don't agree with the introduction of entirely new, interesting races simply to have them serve as disposable meat shields for the main protagonists.. I've played video games that have treated the expendable characters with more tact.
Dianna
Oct 18, 2013 Dianna rated it did not like it
I saw the rating for the second book in the trilogy was higher than the first, so I was hopeful that it'd be somewhat after...after all, I was going in with such low expectations that it couldn't get much worse, right??

WELL, I WAS WRONG. I stand corrected.

Plotlines and characters continue to be flat, but (view spoiler)
Kyra Dune
Dec 27, 2013 Kyra Dune rated it liked it
The story of Requiem continues in book two of the Song Dragons Trilogy, Tears of Requiem. I did not enjoy this one as much as I did the first book in the trilogy. There were still some epic fights and interesting play between the characters, but I didn't feel like the story really progressed. It was almost like reading the first book over again, in a bad sort of way.

I still love the shape-shifting dragons and I still really like the characters, except I didn't like the turn the character of Die
Kryss Summers
Mar 02, 2016 Kryss Summers rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Jul 10, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Writing was so-so. Not really my style/taste and a bit repetitive. The story was decent so I read the trilogy. I agree with other reviewers that the characters are pretty 1 dimensional and don't show much growth, just cling to the same ideals/prayers and just fight different monsters.
Emmanuelle
Nov 16, 2012 Emmanuelle rated it it was amazing
I'm so sad it's over :( I want to know what continues to happen in the story but I also want the books to last forever. I want to get lost in the world of Requiem and Osanna. It's that good.
But, since all good things don't last forever, I have finished Tears of Requiem and I loved it. The action was non-stop. The characters continued to be enthralling. The new adventures continued to be surprising with new twists and turns at every corner.
The book is well written and makes sense. I love readin
Ruthanne Taylor
Apr 12, 2016 Ruthanne Taylor rated it it was amazing
Terrific Fantasy

I loved this book. It is beautifully written, well plotted & full of wonderful characters both good & evil. Read Book 1 first for a complete picture & follow with Book 3, my next read.
Austin
Jun 16, 2015 Austin rated it really liked it
this series has gotten better as its gone along. arenson does a fantastic job with the battle scenes and building sympathy from the reader for dragons
Priscilia Margharet
Feb 11, 2016 Priscilia Margharet rated it did not like it
I cant believe i read the second book. But curiosity got me and u know the words. Curiosity kills me. Only read 3 first chapter and closed it.
Deniselt
May 10, 2016 Deniselt rated it it was ok
Thomas Hoyt
Mar 03, 2015 Thomas Hoyt rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gabriella Harrison, Danielle Weld
So far I am totally captivated by this story! I just finished it and tears did fill my eyes. I won't give any spoilers.
Destine Williams
Oct 16, 2014 Destine Williams rated it really liked it
Not as eye-catching as the first book, but still a good read. I'd recommend it if you liked the first book.
Brian Everson
Jan 27, 2014 Brian Everson rated it really liked it
Song of Dragons 2

The author has put together another book that will appeal to bought young and old. He weaves a story that keeps you want to read more.

Mackenzie
awsome
Sherry
Jun 03, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-book-library
Tears of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #2) by Daniel Arenson This was just as good or better than book 1, kept me completely enthralled.
Chad Stewart
Mar 02, 2012 Chad Stewart rated it really liked it
It seems that I give a lot of 4 stars, but it's been a while since I've.read a book that was so good that it deserved 5. This one was no exception. I did like it more than the first book, Blood Of Requiem though. There wasn't quite as much anger in this book. It does seem like it is going to be difficult for the Vir Requiem to rebuild their race. I hope the next book addresses that issue more.
Jen
Jan 11, 2015 Jen rated it it was ok
Shelves: high-fantasy
Just an okay book. I got bored with it & stopped halfway through. It's just the same thing over & over again - bad guy catches up when them, wounds them, they get away, bad guy catches up with them again, etc. The characters aren't very deeply developed, and the names seem like they were purposely made pretentious. I don't think I will be coming back to this series to finish it.
Carla
Jan 04, 2014 Carla rated it really liked it
This book was better than the first! It had way more action, drama, and I ended up shedding a few tears. The fact that it is not made clear if the antagonist died has me anxious to read the final installment of the trilogy. Of course I know he can't be dead or there would be no war spilling over into the last book but, none the less I can't wait to get started.
Jenni
Aug 19, 2013 Jenni rated it liked it
Well book two continues the story, and what a story of despair, love and courage. How the characters survive I don't know. So many die so you can't be squeamish if you read this. The horror the author unleashes on the reader is very vivid.
I'm not sure I like so much death ...but I must read the last book !
So very well written and edited.

thanks daniel
Doug
Jan 18, 2012 Doug rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in this genre.
A good follow up to the first book of the series ... the plot line was okay, but somewhat unbelievable because of the condition of the villian from book one to book two.

If the villian was handled different the book would have scored much higher for me.

Still overall a very good read for this type of genre.
Ingrid Foster
May 27, 2013 Ingrid Foster rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, the 2nd book in Daniel Arenson's Songs of Dragons series. A bit of the dialogue seemed out of place but not enough to stop me from finishing the book. Face it, by that time, I was too hooked to stop reading. And, yes, I'm giving it four stars, it really was that good.
Reblua
Nov 14, 2011 Reblua rated it really liked it
Better than the first novel. Characters develop a lot more. Author has a problem with skipping from place to place without delving into the trials necessary to get there.
  • Vosper's Revenge(Dragon Stone Saga, #3)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Ossendar (The Restoration Series, #2)
  • The Wayfarer King (The Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • Wolf Hunting (Firekeeper Saga, #5)
  • The Death of Promises (The Half-Orcs, #3)
  • Hidden Fire (The Five Kingdoms, #3)
  • Catalyst (The Passage of Hellsfire, #1)
  • The Archmage Unbound (Mageborn, #3)
Daniel Arenson is a bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. He writes in three "worlds:"

REQUIEM -- Welcome to Requiem, an ancient kingdom whose people can grow wings and scales, breathe fire, and take flight as dragons. Requiem is explored in five trilogies, which can be read in any order: Dawn of Dragons, Song of Dragons, Dragonlore, The Dragon War, and Requiem for Dragons. If you're n
More about Daniel Arenson...

Song of Dragons (3 books)
  • Blood of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #1)
  • Light of Requiem (Song of Dragons, #3)