Start by marking “The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes” as Want to Read:
The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes

The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The Feed Zone Cookbook offers 150 athlete-friendly recipes that are simple, delicious, and easy to prepare.

When Dr. Allen Lim left the lab to work with professional cyclists, he found a peloton weary of eating. For years the sport's elite athletes had been underperforming on bland fare and processed bars and gels. Science held few easy answers for nutrition in the real wo
Published November 1st 2011 by Velo Press

To ask other readers questions about The Feed Zone Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feed Zone Cookbook

Gina
Jul 05, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it
Finally a sports cookbook I can use!!! Although the book is geared to cyclists, I'm a runner; endurance athletes all face common problems on how to fuel properly. This book has given me lots of options for pre race, mid race & post race fueling. The best part is I have most of the ingredients in my kitchen already and most of the recipes are quick to put together too. There's even a section on portables: food that will give you energy quickly while easily digestible. I can't wait to try the ...more
Jeff Judge
Oct 20, 2013 Jeff Judge rated it it was amazing
If you're a cyclist, this is a terrific book on nutrition and recipes that are easy to work with. Looking forward to cooking up all the various rice based bars to snack on mid-ride vs store bought bars.
Aja Marsh
May 28, 2015 Aja Marsh rated it really liked it
got this book from the library mainly for the "portables" section and because the library doesn't have the feed zone portables only cookbook. though this is geared towards serious cyclists, it's a fun little cookbook with some unique ideas for fueling pre-during-and-post workout complete with nutritional data. the recipes are all pretty simple and straight-forward and offer a good amount of flexibility. not incredibly vegetarian friendly and/or don't mention much when certain things can be repla ...more
Serena
May 05, 2013 Serena rated it it was amazing
I've been meaning to start reviews on cookbooks; I procrastinate no longer! This is an amazing collection of recipes that use simple ingredients and procedures. The most complicated piece of equipment called for might be a rice cooker or a blender. Colorful photos also help work up an appetite for what they describe. Great to know that a simple list of ingredients can look so appetizing! Gives me something to shoot for.

Full disclosure: the recipes are biased for athletes in training, so they ten
Jennifer Erwin
Jan 31, 2014 Jennifer Erwin rated it it was amazing
I am a triathlete and am constantly looking for something to fuel my workouts. Gels, bars, and all the others just aren't settling in my stomach very well. Some friends recommended this book (and the Feed Zone Portables) and the recipes look so easy and it's all ingredients that I would have in my kitchen normally. I can not wait to start trying out some of these recipes. I especially love how they are all able to be frozen for eating later.
Penny
Jun 11, 2012 Penny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What I really like about this book is the focus on simple, good food yet maximize food as fuel. There is a good nutrition for cyclists chapter that gives good concept information for when to fuel with what and why, without being too scientific. The recipes are organized with a training regimen in mind, as in nutritious dinner for post work out that are fast and easy yet give you what you need. Or, breakfasts that will stay with you. I'm really excited about the "portables" section, for home made ...more
Kelli Stephenson
Jan 02, 2015 Kelli Stephenson rated it really liked it
Easy to make food with the most energy bang for your buck----lots of carbs (I bet 90% of the recipes have rice in them). Geared towards cyclists, but I (a runner) took many recipes away from it.
Kitchengrrl
May 06, 2012 Kitchengrrl rated it it was amazing
Completely fantastic cookbook! Everything I've tried so far has been awesome without any adjustments at all. If you don't need so many carbs, it's easy to leave them out. This book is really changing my perceptions of what ingredients go together. Many of the combinations are things I never would have thought of (cucumber, green bell pepper, apple, parsley and feta as a salad) but which are totally awesome and I'm wondering why I haven't thought of this before. HIghly recommend this to anyone in ...more
Ed
Aug 01, 2012 Ed rated it it was amazing
This book makes me very hungry! From a pure cookbook point of view, great pictures, recipes are simple. Have tried the summer orzo which was great, the sweet potato and egg burrito which is also very tasty, although I'll add more sweet potato to the mixture next time.

Simply lots of recipes that will appeal to athletes, with a focus on carbs, but with protein and fats for balance and taste. Narrative describes what is good for pre-during-post rides, and even what ingredient changes to make depen
Jodi
Oct 08, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Real cooking for athletes. Like Paleo with some rice, but hardly any wheat or corn. Adds the carbs that an active, lean person needs to sustain themselves.
E G
Aug 01, 2014 E G rated it really liked it
can't wait to start trying some of these recipes
Michael
Jul 30, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: cycling
Seems to be geared towards folks who have no idea how to cook. I found myself flipping past far too many "duh recipes." Things that are obvious and not really worthy of being in a cookbook.

A lot of the recipes vary on seemingly a single ingredient or are as simple as take x and throw an egg on top or take y and put it on some bread or rice.

I've made a handful of the recipes over the past couple of weeks. The eating has been healthy, but more recipes have been average than great.

This book is g
Astrid
Jun 13, 2012 Astrid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
What it is: A cyclists' cookbook, 150 recipes from the lab of Allen Lim and the kitchen of Biju Thomas.

Strengths: Recipes that call for fewer than eight ingredients, most of which are normally stocked in my refrigerator and pantry, and which can be prepared in ten minutes to an hour.

Weaknesses: Some of the dessert recipes don't look particularly appealing.

Check out my review on the Podium Cafe website: http://www.podiumcafe.com/2012/6/13/3...
Natasha
Mar 28, 2013 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Love this cookbook! The recipes are easy, delicious, & nutritious! I'm not an endurance athlete, but I picked this up to inspire me to cook healthier items I can eat on the go or when I'm out climbing or hiking. Every item has a beautiful & colorful picture which just adds to all the goodness. Oh, and did I mention I'm a vegetarian & try to eat gluten-free when possible...the recipes are very easy to adapt and the author even tells you how to make changes. This is one cookbook you mu ...more
Adam Koenig
Sep 20, 2014 Adam Koenig rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
A really great take on some relatively easy recipes. The book is very scientific and supported, but also very interesting. I am working my way through the various recipes, and am looking forward to using more of the portable ones. A great resource for training, and cooking in general.
Angie
Aug 03, 2013 Angie rated it it was amazing
As the mom of young athletes, this book is a lifesaver. I'm thankful to have alternatives to packaged nutrition bars. The recipes are easy, use basic ingredients and taste good. I appreciate the information about what to eat before, during and after a race. There is just enough nutritional information to help me understand what I'm feeding my kids and why, but not so much that my eyes glaze over with boredom. A great resource. Thank you!!
Amanda Vance
Nov 18, 2013 Amanda Vance rated it it was amazing
My favorite cookbook! The foods are a mixed style I enjoy, following a nutrition philosophy I agree with. Every recipe I have made has been delicious (even to my picky husband) very simple to prepare. At some point I will have to rebound it, I know I will utilize this book to the point of it falling apart.
C
Jan 30, 2015 C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running-books
(edited to add sample recipe link)

Really just want to buy this one...but cheap! I'd like to have it around and on hand. Some great information in here on nutrition, along with the recipes/meal ideas.

Sample Recipes here:
Elizabeth
Jan 17, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I love everything about this cookbook. The recipes are easy yet flavorful. I find myself wanting to cook food instead of eating out, which is new for me! The ingredients are easy to find and aren't bizarre at all. I have yet to find a recipe I don't like.
Ian
Jan 14, 2013 Ian marked it as to-read
I sampled some of the food from this cookbook when I was in Benton, AR for Trifest for MS. I finally got around to buying it and am currently awaiting its arrival (being held up because another book I ordered at the same time hasn't come in yet).
Janet
May 16, 2016 Janet rated it liked it
Not that I'm an athlete exactly ;-) But anything that's fast and flavorful (and presumably good for me) works for me! And I saw a recipe in Outside magazine for on the go health bars that indeed were easy and awesome.
Meredith
Jun 15, 2012 Meredith rated it it was amazing
A fantastic guide to healthy meals for the athlete. I have loved every recipe I have made so far and have even found several that my husband and kids have enjoyed. Basic ingredients and very easy to cook.
Stephen
Feb 21, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
as a chef and a person who likes to jog swim bike and keep on the move i found this book easy to follow and most of the recipes tasty. i would recomend this even if you fancy a change in snacks
Paula
Aug 24, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
I admit that I was in a cooking rut and this cookbook has reenergized meal time. The recipes are simple, flavorful and filling. Everything I've made thus far has been a hit w/ my family.
Stephen Antczak
Jun 27, 2012 Stephen Antczak rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for athletes wanting to use whole foods to power their workouts and competitions, rather than using gels and other nasty, processed stuff.
Amie
May 24, 2013 Amie rated it it was amazing
Love this book! While training my stomach agrees with me eating real food over gels and drinks any day of the week!
Jess
Aug 16, 2013 Jess rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great recipe book! I loved the simple and healthy recipes, and the clear and simple advice on nutrition for athletes.
Elizabeth
Mar 22, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Very tasty recipes that are vegan/gluten-free and mindful of athletes in training. Excellent section in rice!
Dan Kaplan
Feb 21, 2012 Dan Kaplan rated it it was amazing
See my review in progress here.
Ben
Feb 19, 2016 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness, cooking
Has done easy to do and quick recipes. It suits not so sophisticated cooks Ike me.
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • India: The Cookbook
  • The Athlete's Guide to Yoga: An Integrated Approach to Strength, Flexibility, & Focus
  • Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal