Start by marking “The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes” as Want to Read:
The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes

The Feed Zone Cookbook: Fast and Flavorful Food for Athletes

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The Feed Zone Cookbook offers 150 athlete-friendly recipes that are simple, delicious, and easy to prepare.

When Dr. Allen Lim left the lab to work with professional cyclists, he found a peloton weary of eating. For years the sport's elite athletes had been underperforming on bland fare and processed bars and gels. Science held few easy answers for nutrition in the real wo
Published November 1st 2011 by Velo Press

To ask other readers questions about The Feed Zone Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feed Zone Cookbook

Finally a sports cookbook I can use!!! Although the book is geared to cyclists, I'm a runner; endurance athletes all face common problems on how to fuel properly. This book has given me lots of options for pre race, mid race & post race fueling. The best part is I have most of the ingredients in my kitchen already and most of the recipes are quick to put together too. There's even a section on portables: food that will give you energy quickly while easily digestible. I can't wait to try the ...more
Jeff Judge
If you're a cyclist, this is a terrific book on nutrition and recipes that are easy to work with. Looking forward to cooking up all the various rice based bars to snack on mid-ride vs store bought bars.
Aja Marsh
got this book from the library mainly for the "portables" section and because the library doesn't have the feed zone portables only cookbook. though this is geared towards serious cyclists, it's a fun little cookbook with some unique ideas for fueling pre-during-and-post workout complete with nutritional data. the recipes are all pretty simple and straight-forward and offer a good amount of flexibility. not incredibly vegetarian friendly and/or don't mention much when certain things can be repla ...more
I've been meaning to start reviews on cookbooks; I procrastinate no longer! This is an amazing collection of recipes that use simple ingredients and procedures. The most complicated piece of equipment called for might be a rice cooker or a blender. Colorful photos also help work up an appetite for what they describe. Great to know that a simple list of ingredients can look so appetizing! Gives me something to shoot for.

Full disclosure: the recipes are biased for athletes in training, so they ten
Jennifer Erwin
I am a triathlete and am constantly looking for something to fuel my workouts. Gels, bars, and all the others just aren't settling in my stomach very well. Some friends recommended this book (and the Feed Zone Portables) and the recipes look so easy and it's all ingredients that I would have in my kitchen normally. I can not wait to start trying out some of these recipes. I especially love how they are all able to be frozen for eating later.
What I really like about this book is the focus on simple, good food yet maximize food as fuel. There is a good nutrition for cyclists chapter that gives good concept information for when to fuel with what and why, without being too scientific. The recipes are organized with a training regimen in mind, as in nutritious dinner for post work out that are fast and easy yet give you what you need. Or, breakfasts that will stay with you. I'm really excited about the "portables" section, for home made ...more
Kelli Stephenson
Easy to make food with the most energy bang for your buck----lots of carbs (I bet 90% of the recipes have rice in them). Geared towards cyclists, but I (a runner) took many recipes away from it.
Completely fantastic cookbook! Everything I've tried so far has been awesome without any adjustments at all. If you don't need so many carbs, it's easy to leave them out. This book is really changing my perceptions of what ingredients go together. Many of the combinations are things I never would have thought of (cucumber, green bell pepper, apple, parsley and feta as a salad) but which are totally awesome and I'm wondering why I haven't thought of this before. HIghly recommend this to anyone in ...more
This book makes me very hungry! From a pure cookbook point of view, great pictures, recipes are simple. Have tried the summer orzo which was great, the sweet potato and egg burrito which is also very tasty, although I'll add more sweet potato to the mixture next time.

Simply lots of recipes that will appeal to athletes, with a focus on carbs, but with protein and fats for balance and taste. Narrative describes what is good for pre-during-post rides, and even what ingredient changes to make depen
Real cooking for athletes. Like Paleo with some rice, but hardly any wheat or corn. Adds the carbs that an active, lean person needs to sustain themselves.
can't wait to start trying some of these recipes
Seems to be geared towards folks who have no idea how to cook. I found myself flipping past far too many "duh recipes." Things that are obvious and not really worthy of being in a cookbook.

A lot of the recipes vary on seemingly a single ingredient or are as simple as take x and throw an egg on top or take y and put it on some bread or rice.

I've made a handful of the recipes over the past couple of weeks. The eating has been healthy, but more recipes have been average than great.

This book is g
What it is: A cyclists' cookbook, 150 recipes from the lab of Allen Lim and the kitchen of Biju Thomas.

Strengths: Recipes that call for fewer than eight ingredients, most of which are normally stocked in my refrigerator and pantry, and which can be prepared in ten minutes to an hour.

Weaknesses: Some of the dessert recipes don't look particularly appealing.

Check out my review on the Podium Cafe website:
Love this cookbook! The recipes are easy, delicious, & nutritious! I'm not an endurance athlete, but I picked this up to inspire me to cook healthier items I can eat on the go or when I'm out climbing or hiking. Every item has a beautiful & colorful picture which just adds to all the goodness. Oh, and did I mention I'm a vegetarian & try to eat gluten-free when possible...the recipes are very easy to adapt and the author even tells you how to make changes. This is one cookbook you mu ...more
Adam Koenig
A really great take on some relatively easy recipes. The book is very scientific and supported, but also very interesting. I am working my way through the various recipes, and am looking forward to using more of the portable ones. A great resource for training, and cooking in general.
As the mom of young athletes, this book is a lifesaver. I'm thankful to have alternatives to packaged nutrition bars. The recipes are easy, use basic ingredients and taste good. I appreciate the information about what to eat before, during and after a race. There is just enough nutritional information to help me understand what I'm feeding my kids and why, but not so much that my eyes glaze over with boredom. A great resource. Thank you!!
Amanda Vance
My favorite cookbook! The foods are a mixed style I enjoy, following a nutrition philosophy I agree with. Every recipe I have made has been delicious (even to my picky husband) very simple to prepare. At some point I will have to rebound it, I know I will utilize this book to the point of it falling apart.
(edited to add sample recipe link)

Really just want to buy this one...but cheap! I'd like to have it around and on hand. Some great information in here on nutrition, along with the recipes/meal ideas.

Sample Recipes here:
I love everything about this cookbook. The recipes are easy yet flavorful. I find myself wanting to cook food instead of eating out, which is new for me! The ingredients are easy to find and aren't bizarre at all. I have yet to find a recipe I don't like.
Jan 14, 2013 Ian marked it as to-read
I sampled some of the food from this cookbook when I was in Benton, AR for Trifest for MS. I finally got around to buying it and am currently awaiting its arrival (being held up because another book I ordered at the same time hasn't come in yet).
Mar 15, 2012 Janet marked it as to-read
Not that I'm an athlete exactly ;-) But anything that's fast and flavorful (and presumably good for me) works for me! And I saw a recipe in Outside magazine for on the go health bars that indeed were easy and awesome.
A fantastic guide to healthy meals for the athlete. I have loved every recipe I have made so far and have even found several that my husband and kids have enjoyed. Basic ingredients and very easy to cook.
as a chef and a person who likes to jog swim bike and keep on the move i found this book easy to follow and most of the recipes tasty. i would recomend this even if you fancy a change in snacks
I admit that I was in a cooking rut and this cookbook has reenergized meal time. The recipes are simple, flavorful and filling. Everything I've made thus far has been a hit w/ my family.
Stephen Antczak
Excellent resource for athletes wanting to use whole foods to power their workouts and competitions, rather than using gels and other nasty, processed stuff.
Love this book! While training my stomach agrees with me eating real food over gels and drinks any day of the week!
Great recipe book! I loved the simple and healthy recipes, and the clear and simple advice on nutrition for athletes.
Very tasty recipes that are vegan/gluten-free and mindful of athletes in training. Excellent section in rice!
Dan Kaplan
See my review in progress here.
easy recipes, healthy, pictures. Liked this.
  • Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • Training and Racing with a Power Meter
  • In Search of Robert Millar: Unravelling the Mystery Surrounding Britain's Most Successful Tour De France Cyclist
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance
  • Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes
  • Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand
  • Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal
  • Everyday Detox: 100 Easy Recipes to Remove Toxins, Promote Gut Health, and Lose Weight Naturally
  • The Rules: The Way of the Cycling Disciple
  • India: The Cookbook
  • No Meat Athlete: Run on Plants and Discover Your Fittest, Fastest, Happiest Self
  • My Time