Start by marking “Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One” as Want to Read:
Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One

Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
For the past six years, I have been flown all over the world, put up in great hotels, fed great dinners, introduced to amazing people, offered a microphone, and paid for taking it. And this has been great; I won’t lie. But this microcosmic form of fame comes with baggage just like that other, much bigger kind, and I have learned just how bad things can get when you claim a ...more
Published August 15th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Big Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Deal

Jonathan
Robert Hoekman, Jr is a user experience designer and consultant who is best known for his books about interface design, Designing the Obvious and Designing the Moment. His self-published book Big Deal: On Being Famous to Almost No One tackles a far more personal subject. In Big Deal Hoekman, Jr recounts his rise to the top of the web design field, and describes how his craving for professional notoriety eventually devastated his personal friendships, marriage, and sense of self worth.

The form of
Martin Röll
Apr 09, 2012 Martin Röll rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: web people. people aspiring to write biography.
Recommended to Martin by: -
I enjoyed this. The author wrote the book in 30 days and this is what it reads like: A life story told vividly. (It's also seems well edited - not "rough" or edgy in any way. I read it fluently and with joy.) It is interesting to follow Robert along as he becomes a professional and rises to fame. It is interesting to see how it turns for him. I found it brave how honest he writes about his emotions and his relationship.

The constant self-analysis and altklug voice that goes "this is what I was wh
Thomas
I gave a full review on the Amazon page for this. The book deeply resonated with me and I read it in one sitting.
Izidor
Izidor is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2014
Luca Salvini
Luca Salvini is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
May 15, 2013
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Pravat
Pravat marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2012
s
s marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012
Anne Adrian
Anne Adrian marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2012
Hans Dorsch
Hans Dorsch marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2012
Jeramey
Jeramey marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2012
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2011
danah boyd
danah boyd marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2011
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2011
Zeke Franco
Zeke Franco marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2011
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2011
Robert Hoekman, Jr, is the author of the Amazon bestseller Designing the Obvious (1st and 2nd edition), Designing the Moment, and Web Anatomy (coauthored by Jared Spool). He has also written dozens of articles for web-industry sites including Adobe, A List Apart, Peachpit, and InformIT.

Robert is a passionate and outspoken user experience specialist who has worked with Adobe, MySpace, Dodge, Crafts
More about Robert Hoekman Jr....
Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design Designing the Moment: Web Interface Design Concepts in Action Web Anatomy: Interaction Design Frameworks That Work The Tao of User Experience Flash Out of the Box