Start by marking “Faery Tales & Nightmares” as Want to Read:
Faery Tales & Nightmares

Faery Tales & Nightmares (Wicked Lovely)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  3,074 Ratings  ·  362 Reviews
An enthralling collection of short stories featuring favourite characters from Melissa Marr's bestselling WICKED LOVELY series.
Published March 1st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published February 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Faery Tales & Nightmares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faery Tales & Nightmares

Miss
Feb 04, 2012 Miss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally worked out what it is about Melissa Marr's writing that keeps leaving me so unsatisfied! It's bland. She has characters who range from being calm and centered to fairies whose entire psychological make-up hinges on them being emotionally volatile but they all sound the same. The writing is terrible at actually invoking emotion, Marr uses the Dark Court's ability to taste emotion as a crutch far too often. Here, take a look:

”You remember telling me you could taste emotions?” Seth asked.
Heidi
Apr 23, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-Wicked Lovely stories originally reviewed here.
Wicked Lovely stories originally reviewed here.

The non-WL stories:

WHERE NIGHTMARES WALK
This very short story works as somewhat of an introduction into the book, and lets you realize right off the bat that it will indeed be as much about nightmares as about faery tales. It’s a chilling intro that will make you fear the night.

WINTER’S KISS
This short story evokes the image of a traditional fairy tale, but one you haven’t heard before. It tells the
Lucinda
Feb 01, 2013 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deliciously dark, enchanting and hauntingly sinister this collection of fairytales merged with folklore is simply stunning.

I would highly recommend this book for readers who have read Melissa Marr’s ‘The Wicked Lovely’ series (a compilation of five books), as many favorite characters within the series is included in these stories. Together with exciting accounts of new characters for you to either fear or fall in love with, this supremely sublime book contains a concoction of old and new. Dange
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

Melissa Marr is one of my favorite authors, of course me loving all things Fae has nothing to do with it but The Wicked Lovely Series will forever be one of my favorite series so I had to give Faery Tales and Nightmares a try even though short story compilations aren’t really my thing. In Ms. Marr’s case, she made reading short stories so pleasurable that I’m hoping against hope that she’ll do it again!

Faery Tales and Nightmares is compiled of twelve short stories, most of them re
JeanBookNerd
Feb 24, 2012 JeanBookNerd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
We all know how captivating Melissa Marr’s books are. So when I found out that she would be releasing a collection of short stories, I was more than eager to get my hands on it. Faery Tales & Nightmares is compiled of twelve short stories, half of which follow the characters from Marr’s Wicked Lovely series.

I am a sucker for anything with the name Melissa Marr attached to it. The Wicked Lovely Series and Graveminder are all in my list of favorite reads. This compilation of short stories was
Kaysi
Mar 06, 2011 Kaysi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathy
I was a good idea for Marr to gather her short stories from her anthologies and online ebook offerings into one book. But unfortunately for me I'd already read a substantial portion of the book since I got most of the anthologies out of the library and I actually did buy the ebooks that make up a big chuck of it. I still re-read them all and they were fine, but it didn't change my original three star rating of any of them. I did enjoy the two new stories from the Wicked Lovely world, it was nice ...more
Sarah Insomnia
Once again, I have to point out that I don't feel confident providing reviews for short stories. I'm too used to novels, and the complaints I have about short stories personally feel more like whining than valid points. But I can say much about this compilation:

First off, I love Melissa Marr. I have since I read "Wicked Lovely" several years back, and while that series started to get a little convoluted with characters and their relationships among one another, her fairies have their very own gr
Auggie
Not for me.
Ferdy
Sep 10, 2012 Ferdy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

A collection of short stories, some set in the Wicked Lovely world and others just stand alone contributions.

Where Nightmare's Walk: A very short and pointless story, only a few paragraphs long.

Winter's Kiss: A story about a girl with ice/wintery powers leaving her summery home and meeting an ice bear/boy and searching for a home where she fits in better. This was one of the better stand alone stories, it was predictable but it was still enjoyable. The romance was subtle but sweet.

Transi
Kaycie Hall
I read half of these stories after receiving my advance reader's copy, and I thought they were fun. The second half of the book is mostly stories about characters from Marr's Wicked Lovely series of which I have only read the first book, so I felt like I was missing the point while trying to read them. Needless to say I put the rest of the book away until I eventually read through all of the Wicked Lovely books.

But from what I did read, I especially enjoyed the story about the selchie. Not becau
Rain Jeys
For Dusty Bookshelf Challenge 2013:
Dusty Bookshelf Challenge
Has been on my to-read list since February 2012

minor spoilers if you haven't read the Wicked Lovely series

So why did I pick this one up if I wasn't a fan of the Wicked Lovely series? Well, because I WISH I'd loved the Wicked Lovely series, because nothing makes me happier than series that are very long and allow me to keep hanging out in their world. That, and I already had it preordered before I read (and couldn't stand) Ink Exchange. But I remain eternally
Connie
I got this audiobook from the library because frankly, the cover was cool and it looked kind of
spooky. I thought it was a series of shorts (which it is, kind of) but they all comingle with one another. I liked the first 3 parts of the story, I skipped 4-like 8 because it was long and uninteresting and then when I listened to the end, I realized they all coincided but I didn't feel compelled to go back and listen to try and see what was going on as I usually am when I feel like I'm missing somet
Andrea at Reading Lark
Review Posted on Reading Lark 1/21/12: http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2012/...

Short story anthologies aren't always my thing, but this one I loved. I have been so bummed since finishing the last Wicked Lovely book. I hated the thought of not getting to spend any more time with Seth, Devlin, and Ani. I was pleasantly surprised to see that all of my favorite Wicked Lovely characters make appearances in this one. In addition to spending time in a world I already know and love, I was also able to e
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Melissa Marr's Faery Tales and Nightmares was quite the read! Filled with short stories I decided to break the review into short segments about each tale.

WHERE NIGHTMARES WALK

This one was a little odd, it was only 2 pages long. Yet the little bit of story we had was interesting. A character is running for their life. And there's a sense of danger, but not much else in known.

Rating 3/5 stars

TRANSITION

A nice little vampire story! These vampires have a different set of rules and one vampire will g
Lala
Feb 07, 2012 Lala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Everything I could want in eternity is possible because of you"

I think that if nothing else...this book made me sooo very much want to curl up with the Wicked Lovely series once again :D It's one of my all time favourites. I enjoyed this book and most of the stories in it. The introduction was actually interesting and just knowing there would be additional stories from the Wicked Lovely universe was enthralling! Melissa has created two of the most compelling male characters ever written. And th
Kira Moericke
Honestly, I couldn't finish it. The stories were all to surreal, the characters bland, and really uninteresting. I didn't mind the first three stories, but even those were kind of hard to read. Just didn't care for it.
Valerie
Feb 07, 2012 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for anything Melissa Marr does -- she's one of my few buy-on-sight authors. I enjoyed her Wicked Lovely series, and Graveminder was one of my favorite reads from last year. I've been itching to read this ever since I first heard of it, and with enough luck, I won a signed, personalized copy. Needless to say, I'm really happy this happened.

The content: The only two stories (out of 12) I wasn't fond of were "Where Nightmares Walk," which was more of a prologue than anything else, and
Misty
Mar 09, 2012 Misty rated it really liked it
You already know I'm not one for anthologies and short stories but I wanted to give this one a go because all the stories are written by one author who also just happens to be on my favourite list of authors so I could hardly say no could I?

Not only did I enjoy it but it's actually the first anthology I've made it to the end of! I love Marr's beautiful writing and ate up the Wicked Lovely series as each book came out and this is a must for fans of that series.

If you haven't read Marr's previous
Hilda
Melissa’s Marr’s writing is one of the main reasons I decided to read this book. I always love the way she builds the world in her books. So vivid, enchanting, and beautiful. Even though the story is too dark for my taste, her way of creating details in her story never fails to enchant me. There are twelve dark yet beautiful short stories in this book.

My favorite story in this book is Winter’s Kiss. The moment I read the story, I’m completely hooked up. It’s a story about a princess who has fros
Celine
Jan 24, 2012 Celine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Review originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Cover:
Wicked Lovely series' covers are absolutely gorgeous and Faery Tales and Nightmares' cover is so pretty too! I love the girl's dress, how she is staring at the window and the dark background. It gives an eerie feeling to the book.

Story:

12 Enthralling Short Stories...

Okay, so I never reviewed a book full of short stories. I won't go reviewing each short story since it's going to be a long review so I'm going to review the
Alyssa (Books Take You Places)
Originally reviewed here.

Full disclosure: I did not read the Wicked Lovely stories in this novel, I have never read the Wicked Lovely series so I didn't want to ruin anything for myself!

"Where Nightmares Walk," "Winter's Kiss" and "Transition" were all beautiful stories. I was especially interested in "Winter's Kiss" and found it to be truly fairy tale-esque with very sweet details. I thought Marr did a nice job with her vampire story, "Transition," vampires with attitude have a special place in
Tina
Mar 19, 2012 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
2.5 stars- This book is made up of short stories. Some are new characters and some are set in the Wicked Lovely world.

Characters from Wicked Lovely: Mostly all make an appearance, but most of the stories are about Niall, Irial and Leslie. Which happened to be my least favorite characters.

The stories that I found the best were the ones not set in the WL world. They had more substance to them. Have you ever read a great book that ended on a good note, then the author throws in an epilogue that rui
Larissa
Aug 29, 2012 Larissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Between these pages lurk beings of harsh beauty and great terror. While one girl is born with Winter within her, another girl will dream the Summer into being. When one girl finds a new life in death another, girl will find a new identity in a woodland creature. And as one girl finds love can be both a blessing and a curse, another girl will learn that love can wait.

Entering a realm that has the potential to be a great nightmare or a fearful faery tale, there may be some familiar faces to guide
Jessica Willis
Nov 12, 2015 Jessica Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was between a 3 or 4 rating but nostalgia bumped it up to a solid 4. These stories adding closure and an extra perspective on characters I fell in love with in the Wicked Lovely series.

Niall and Irial remain my absolute favorites so I was happy the two longest stories featured them. The stories seemed rushed (I feel like Melissa isn't used to writing short stories as this was an issue I had with most of her stories) but they answered questions left over from the series.

The non-Wicked Lovely st
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
I have not yet read the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr, so the best thing I can say about this anthology is that, the short stories have actually tantalised me enough to go and check out the series itself.

While the other stories were too short and abrupt too actually warrant a rating, the 3.5 stars are only for the detailed yet short stories relating to her own series, that were well written and informative to a Non-wicked Lovely Readers.
Booknut
Apr 25, 2012 Booknut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa Marr's genius for writing twisted, ink-black tales of fey, vampires and the undead is incredible to behold - and her collection of tales is something of a treat. Back with a few of our favourite characters - including Niall, Seth and the gang from the Dark Court - as well as some new arrivals, this book will have you immersed in a world of alluring glances, magnetic bonds and flickering shadows.
Erin
Dec 29, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall I thought it was a wonderful book with intriguing characters - which is surprising considering they're short stories! But then again, we're talking about Melissa Marr here whom always impresses me with her writing!

Full review: http://talesoftheinnerbookfanatic.blo...
Jay Gayod
Feb 21, 2012 Jay Gayod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Melissa Marr makes even the conversations somehow melodic and hauntingly beautiful at the same time.
Her characters show true friendship, a kind of love that makes you belong. Rabbit and Olivia's story was the one I liked best.
Elizabeth(The Book Whisperer)
Wonderful collection stories! There is a selkie one on here I really loved. I adore mystical tales of the sea!
Read wicked lovely first? 3 10 Oct 11, 2012 05:14PM
Faery Tales & Nightmares 2 19 Apr 03, 2012 05:28PM
Faery Tales & Nightmares 1 8 Feb 15, 2012 07:14AM
  • Teeth: Vampire Tales
  • Stolen Away
  • Harbinger
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Magic Under Stone (Magic Under, #2)
  • The Blood Keeper (The Blood Journals, #2)
  • Hollow
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • So Silver Bright (Théâtre Illuminata, #3)
  • The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • Dark Companion
  • The First Time
5 stars= If I love you, I'll buy you a copy from this list of books. (Pls note, if you are my family or dearest friends, feel free to remind me to do so. I am lousy w remembering birthdays/holidays.)

4 stars= Don't even ask to borrow it. You should prob buy it though.

3= If you borrow it, you better not lose it, mangle it, or keep it too long.

2 or 1 star= I don't use these. If it's not a 3 star or
More about Melissa Marr...

Wicked Lovely (5 books)
  • Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)
  • Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely, #2)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)

“You are the one who gives me reason to wake in the mornings, who infuriates me, who enrages me, who enthralls me. You are my passion, my fury, my soul. Shall i explain further?” 33 likes
“A clear division between good and evil, right and wrong, would simplify everything, but life was rarely simple.” 31 likes